Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Too sterile.

You need a Journey poster on the wall. Something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

LingcodKilla posted:

Too sterile.

You need a Journey poster on the wall. Something.

Nah. He needs something like this.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I think that space behind your lawn mower in those pictures would be perfect for a nice big work/assembly table. Like 3x12 or something.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Yeah, I want to get a 1/2" steel plate that's 4x8 feet and make a work / layout / assembly table out of it.

But in order to do that, I need a pretty beefy gantry crane to lift it all.

Still need to figure out where to keep the electric tractor so I can make use of it in winter. I think the corner in front of the two post (fab corner as it sits now) is a good candidate, as I can lift a vehicle out of the way and drive out.

I'll be getting a four post lift here eventually as well, so that'll throw a nice wrinkle at me then.

mcbagpipes
Apr 17, 2010
If you are looking for metal around Calgary, send me a PM. I work for a welding shop in the NE and we do get pretty good discounts from some of the big metal suppliers. A 4' x 8' sheet of 1/2" will require a lift of some sort!

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

mcbagpipes posted:

If you are looking for metal around Calgary, send me a PM. I work for a welding shop in the NE and we do get pretty good discounts from some of the big metal suppliers. A 4' x 8' sheet of 1/2" will require a lift of some sort!

You're my new best friend :coal:

Yeah I'm thinking lift it out of the truck with the two post, drop it on some wood blocks, weld on legs with some casters i can raise it on, lift it up again with the lift, flip it in the air and wheel into place.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

My dad and I made a welding table out of 1/4" plate. We used schedule 40 pipe (I think it's 2" or 2.5") as legs, and tied them together with angle iron. The top is 4x4. it sagged badly, so we had to weld reinforcing angle to the underside of the plate.

I think 1/2" plate will still sag, especially over an 8' span, so plan to weld substantial support to the underside.

e. The goal with the pipe legs is eventually to weld in some kind of caster arrangement where you can turn a crank or twist a nut or something and that would let you raise and lower the casters inside the pipe. So it'd sit solid on the floor when you're not rolling it around. I haven't gotten around to doing that but someday I probably will because the table is a bitch to move by myself.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jul 5, 2016

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

It absolutely would sag, so the plan is to use probably 3" square tubing with a 1/4 or 3/8ths wall thickness to build a mega strong and heavy box frame to support the plate.

It would be nice to use it as a machinist bench so the flatter I can keep it, the better.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

mcbagpipes posted:

Dang now we don't have to scavenge road signs anymore.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Slung Blade posted:

It absolutely would sag, so the plan is to use probably 3" square tubing with a 1/4 or 3/8ths wall thickness to build a mega strong and heavy box frame to support the plate.

It would be nice to use it as a machinist bench so the flatter I can keep it, the better.

If this is going to go up against a wall, 4' of depth is probably overkill, in that you'd have trouble reaching stuff on the far edge of the table. It makes more sense if the table will be out in the middle of the room so you can easily access all four edges.

If you want a really flat table, you could see if any local universities have any optical tables they don't need any more. Of course, those also usually have a grid of threaded holes drilled in them (they're basically used as the optical equivalent of a breadboard, for setting up lasers and microscopes and so on). But hell, maybe you could find a use for all the holes.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I want it more in the middle of the floor. Need room to work around it.

I mean, ideally I could get a proper fabrication table, which is a huge heavy surface with hundreds of 1" square holes arranged in a grid, but they're as rare as hen's teeth. Also they weigh several tonnes in the size I want.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

If you want a really flat table, you could see if any local universities have any optical tables they don't need any more.

Start here http://www.ucalgary.ca/finance/scm/distribution/surplus
Any university is going to have a surplus sales office. 99% of what goes out that door is going to be filing cabinets and desks, but they're also responsible for the oddball stuff that comes out when they renovate the Chemistry department, or Facilities Management repurposes a storage shed.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Well, the rally is over and we did ok. Check the thread for details if you're interested, but there was some crazy poo poo that happened.

Pre-game photo.

Up in Lillooet.

Pemberton sucks, never go there.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Burn Pemberton to the loving ground.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

So what do you do when you have a shitload of waste wood and want to burn it in a hurry so you don't drink ALL your beer?

Like most questions in life, that is best answered with "supercharging".

Also I need to do more re-arranging of poo poo around here. To that end, I bought 2 sets of steel shelving. 2 sets = 4 verticals and a pile of horizontals, enough to make 3 units with room to wheel stuff underneath.

Looks alright.

Man it's weird having a small car in here.

Wait a minute, what the gently caress happened to my house garage shelving unit???

Jeet Christ here it is.

So yeah, the electric tractor and the Coronet are now housed in the shop. Does this mean the coronet will finally get some loving attention????

PS I lost the slow race this year, dude with a 70s hydrostatic cub cadet beat me in the first heat :smithicide:

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Is that the same guy who built a dedicated transmission specifically for that event?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Metal rack shelving is the bomb. Used warehouse shelving pops up on local craigslist sometimes but it's not cheap either.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
Why wouldn't you have it a foot further to the right so it didn't cover the window?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

DreadLlama posted:

Is that the same guy who built a dedicated transmission specifically for that event?

I don't think so. As far as I know, no one has done that for our little event. Hydro static drives are just crazy good at going slow since there's no solid connection from motor to wheel.

Rapulum_Dei posted:

Why wouldn't you have it a foot further to the right so it didn't cover the window?

Because there was a 440 engine block in the way when I was putting them up. Also it made it easier to line up the electrical sockets with the uprights and not prevent their use.

Plus those windows are for light only, they're eight feet off the floor. And that one in particular is blocked in that corner by my trailer anyway, when I'm under them.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Slung Blade posted:

Hydro static drives are just crazy good at going slow since there's no solid connection from motor to wheel.

I thought all automatic transmissions transfer power via a turbine immersed in a viscous fluid. E.g., no solid connection from motor to wheel. Am I wrong?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Leperflesh posted:

I thought all automatic transmissions transfer power via a turbine immersed in a viscous fluid. E.g., no solid connection from motor to wheel. Am I wrong?

You're wrong. But... as they're explained to most people you're right.

The hydrostatic drive, is a hydraulic pump, turning hydraulic motors, which is a totally different thing from the typical autotragic.

The first automatics were just a torque converter. Just the spinny turbine in a housing. (These are the 1 speed automatics)

As for modern automatics, they have the torque converter. So they can slip at idle, and when you need torque multiplication in first and second gear. But most automatics also have a lockup torque converter, so when you're at part throttle, there's a clutch that engages that stops the torque converter from doing it's slipping thing, and turns the transmission into a solid connection from the engine to the wheels.

Now there are "other" kinds of automatics. CVT's have a belt of sorts that transfers power, and may still have a torque converter. I think some use clutches too.

The automatic transmission in the prius, uses a differential drive to split torque. Which allows it to idle without a torque converter.

Finally, there are dual clutch transmissions. Those are just like typical manuals, but are computer controlled. But they appear to the driver as an automatic transmission.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I see. Thanks for the rundown!

I think the point though is that "slow" and "uses a fluid to transfer power" are not necessarily synonymous.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Yeah sorry I should have said "there's not necessarily a specific set ratio between engine rpm and final wheel rpm with a hydrostatic drive".

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Are they continuously variable?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

DreadLlama posted:

Are they continuously variable?

They're a type of CVT, but not exactly like a Nissan style cone unit you might be imagining.

Motor runs a hydraulic pump, wheels are actuated by a hydraulic motor, speed selector changes the flow of fluid from the motor to the wheels.

So you can run the engine at 100%, but keep the speed selector at almost zero and just barely move the wheels.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

SSS brought his subaru to my shop today. Looks like there're things that need to be lit on fire.

The pride of the manufacturing hub that is Airdrie Alberta.

But yeah this suspension is crazy jacked up. We tore the subframe out, cleaned it, primered it, and undercoated it.

There are some newer control arms that we also cleaned and painted after burning the bushings out. Original ones are still in the car for now.

Notice anything missing? Turns out his exhaust was holding up the transmission and 30% of the drivetrain. :stare:

So yeah, we wanted to put all new bushings in to prepare this wagon for winter, but this thing isn't leaving until that transmission support gets fixed, and we didn't have the parts here, plus it's sunday and I'm in the middle of nowhere.

On the plus side, while we were playing car jenga and moving things around to different bays, SSS heard the battery hissing on the Coronet. Looks like she cracked and done busted :saddowns: Also we fixed a power steering leak which was making the pump super loud.

With his ride in the air, the Helica became his chariot for the day/week, and I needed a place to park the truck fleet. Ahh, space.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
RIP beautiful decade old Mopar battery you were too slutty for this world

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

After three weeks we finally finished up the Subaru enough for SSSwitch to drive it home.

I had to buy a transmission jack to do it though (well, not really, but it made it easier and I wanted one anyway).

Also a proper parts washer. This was the floor model at peavey mart, $50 bucks off.

We had to helicoil one of the captive nuts (no image) which neither of us had done before, so that was a cool new experience. The lift made this job easy, I can't imagine trying to jack this car up high enough to get under there will a full sized drill.

SSSwitch's car takes up 40% of my project whiteboard, and I don't even have the coronet on there yet. Though, I still have my cardboard list.

The Bricknose needed its' 152000km (yes you read that right) oil change. Yeah this looks 100% safe.

:ohdear:

The flat part of the frame rails are really, really short on this truck, and the arms on the lift really didn't want to line up very well. I didn't lift it any higher, but it worked out ok anyway I guess.

I was very concerned when I bought this filter and got it home and saw what I had on there, I thought this engine took something different than the normal filters prescribed by the filter gurus. Turns out the PZ-1 has the same gasket and thread as the fatter Wix, so whatever, it's fine. (the engine was swapped sometime in the late 90s when a tech at the dealership dropped a screw down the intake manifold and didn't fish it out.) I've never done an oil change on this truck myself before, I always took it to a quicklube place, it typically only needs 1-2 per year for all I drive it.

Minor to-do lists.

So I was planning to do an oil change on the Celica too, since we put enough kilometers on it during the rally to mile out the oil and filter, HOWEVER: I moroned up and pulled the bricknose out, brought the Celica in, couldn't find the filter, (we bought a filter the other day, but I couldn't find it ((it was in the glove box)) ) so I took the Celica out again, brought the ford back in, did the headlight bulbs because I forgot to do that before, and then I started playing with the Dodge.

I don't know why I didn't fix the rust spots when I replaced the battery tray in the first place.

Whatever, that's a quick fix.

Little self-etch and we're good.

I did buy a new battery and it's sitting on the floor ready to go in the coronet.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Under lift oilchange machine :mmmhmm:

Celica needed its' oil changed after the rally.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I still need to apply for a patent on that idea.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

So I ended my week by filling the Celica's ample trunk with merchandise worth more than the original purchase price of the car.

Friday night I replaced two switches with timers. Why are they different? because the fan draws a fuckload of power, and that timer is rated for more amps. In retrospect I wish I had gotten two of them, that one on the right doesn't fit in the housing very well, the wires come out of the unit on the right, so it hits the edge and levers it over a little. No, I can't move it to a different bay because it's already labeled, what are you, some kind of criminal? Still, this allows me to use the exterior lighting to see my way back into the house without having to leave the lights on all night. Or run the fan for a few minutes after I pull a vehicle out to go somewhere and clear the exhaust.

I do like having music playing while I work. This little bluetooth speaker works great, but it's a little, uh, small.

Just so happened, my friend was selling these rad polk audio speakers.

So I bought an amp and a TV hanger, and I finally have a use for my old living room TV. This amp is bluetooth as well, and I can plug the workshop laptop into it via HDMI passthrough.

Now I have enough wattage to deafen myself and the neighbour's dog. :coal:

My neighbour delivered SSSwitch's next project car to my door.

1988 Lincoln towncar. Bad alternator, broken passenger window.

302, sequential fuel injection.

In order to finish my pig roaster BBQ, I will need some 20' length steel. Time to install that piperack I bought months ago.

The side rails and front are no problem. But the rear one, which is actually just another front rack I bought at the same time as the rest of it, needed some adjustment.

So, to cut that poo poo, time to break out a new toy. I should have bought one of these YEARS AGO. So loving good.

Cut down the flanges, drilled a bolt hole, and we're in business.

Is this a little janky? Yes, yes it is, but it lets me remove it or put it on with 2 bolts. I tested it by grabbing onto it and hauling my heavy rear end up onto the bumper with it, no problem at all, and it will not go forward either. This'll work just fine.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I hardly ever get a chance to use my portaband, but I love it anyway, it's the best.

Does SSS have a thread for that '88 Lincoln?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Leperflesh posted:

Does SSS have a thread for that '88 Lincoln?

Not yet because I haven't done anything other than vacuum broken glass out of it and yank the alternator. It'll come.

We are preparing for the Frostcoming.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Slung Blade posted:

The Bricknose needed its' 152000km (yes you read that right) oil change. Yeah this looks 100% safe.

I read that as Bricklin and was like, "That's the SAME GUY?" But alas, no.

Did that guy ever finish restoring that Bricklin over in AI? I lost the thread.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Suspect Bucket posted:

Did that guy ever finish restoring that Bricklin over in AI? I lost the thread.

BoostCreep gave up on it for now and is now converting a Lexus SC400 into an LS-powered drift rocket for YouTube.

Thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3760375

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?BoostCreepInc

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Seat Safety Switch posted:

BoostCreep gave up on it for now and is now converting a Lexus SC400 into an LS-powered drift rocket for YouTube.

Thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3760375

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?BoostCreepInc

That's nuts.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Yeah Boostcreep is completely insane. Cool guy though.

My white truck has had a check engine light on ever since I bought it, the PO cut one of the cats out, I am unsure as to why, but it's 250k old, no point buying a single and welding a new one in to match the ancient one. Fedex guy delivered on a freezing day before thanksgiving (canadian), so I had to keep it in the bathroom for a while.

No time to put that in yet, I am too busy building the pig roaster.

But the rack I modified worked great to pick up a pile of steel.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

SSSwitch came over to store his miata. We cleaned up and rearranged things, moved a pair of motors, and managed to get a car, a tractor, and a space big enough for a truck in the north bay of the shop.

Then we built a frame for the roaster and I started getting the rotisserie bits sorted out.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Oh that gearbox and bearing. Sexy.

Did you do any calcuations on how much the whole thing is going to stretch when you heat it up? Looks like it might be around a quarter inch axially if the fire is nice and toasty. Gonna let it float on the back side?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

M_Gargantua posted:

Oh that gearbox and bearing. Sexy.

Did you do any calculations on how much the whole thing is going to stretch when you heat it up? Looks like it might be around a quarter inch axially if the fire is nice and toasty. Gonna let it float on the back side?

No calculations whatsoever. I was planning to let both of the main pillow blocks allow the shaft to slip as necessary, the whole thing's going to flex up and down as the pig moves, I think. Like a skipping rope I suppose. I figure it will need to slop to keep the bearings happy.