Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

J Corp posted:

Voting for Trump is supporting Trump, which I'm half tempted to do out of spite at this point, since hey, I guess I was supporting him already by bringing up some of Clinton's shittier aspects.

If you are "half-tempted" to vote for Trump "out of spite" you probably are a horribly self-centered individual whose feefees were hurt over the internet, hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

vas0line posted:

Voting Clinton? You're an America hating little bitch.
Voting Trump? You're a piece of human garbage.
Voting third party? You're a selfish fuckhead who wants Trump/Clinton to win.

God drat I hate politics. This election can't end soon enough.

Don't worry in a year they'll all be back to complaining about how government sucks and why can't those dumb politicians do anything right.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

All this agonizing over your vote is kind of silly considering how little your vote actually matters (not that you shouldn't vote).

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

vas0line posted:

Don't worry, no matter the outcome, this is gonna be the last US election this century.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Don't worry, no matter the outcome, this is gonna be the last US election this century.

That sounds a bit presumptuous.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The left loves the 'end of the world' poo poo just as much as the right.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

J Corp posted:

Voting for Trump is supporting Trump, which I'm half tempted to do out of spite at this point, since hey, I guess I was supporting him already by bringing up some of Clinton's shittier aspects.

Quit whining and just go vote for Trump like you obviously want to.

No one will believe you that you're voting for him ironically to spite strangers on the internet, trying to convince anyone of that is a waste of time just own it.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

vas0line posted:

This is how it's been going lately. My friends and family are taking this stance. It's a shame that we've come to attacking each other's characters for not supporting the same candidate.

Voting Clinton? You're an America hating little bitch.
Voting Trump? You're a piece of human garbage.
Voting third party? You're a selfish fuckhead who wants Trump/Clinton to win.

The authoritarian tone of this thread is astounding. It's your DUTY to vote for Clinton and support her because WE NEED A HUGE WIN because then the Democrats will win forever and ever and then, after all that, they'll do leftist things. The Party cannot fail, it can only be failed.

And saying that a critique of Hillary is misogynistic treads on the same lines that any criticism of Margaret Thatcher is misogynistic.

Sulphuric Asshole
Apr 25, 2003
It honestly wouldn't matter to most people whether Clinton or Trump wins. The wall is probably not going to make any real headway if Trump wins, and civil rights are not magically going to be fixed if Clinton wins. The government will stay corrupt and people will mostly trudge on like they always have.

Sulphuric Asshole fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Oct 17, 2016

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Sulphuric rear end in a top hat posted:

It honestly doesn't matter to most people whether Clinton or Trump wins. The wall is probably not going to make any real headway if Trump wins, and civil rights are not magically going to be fixed if Clinton wins. The government will stay corrupt and people will mostly trudge on like they always have.

Woah there, you gotta be careful when you're swinging around something this edgy. Next you'll tell us that both parties are, like, exactly the same, man. But really, though, it must be nice to be so insulated from all consequences that you can't even imagine what it's like to not have that privilege.

Edit:

Also lol at the other posters here. Apparently not wanting non-whites and LGBT people to become second-class citizens makes you no better than Nazis. Truly it was we who were the fascists all along and not the literal white nationalists.

Sulphuric Asshole
Apr 25, 2003
LGBT people and minorities are not going to become second class citizens if Trump wins. Nor is rape going to be magically legalized.

Likewise, Hillary is not going to enact any real change that will elevate poor people and minoriries.

Sulphuric Asshole fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Oct 17, 2016

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

LGBT people and minorities are not going to become second class citizens if Trump wins.

Well, you're right, in the sense that a large chunk of minorities will simply be deported and/or not allowed entrance into the country. Hard to be a second class citizen if you can't get in.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

LGBT people and minorities are not going to become second class citizens if Trump wins.

As a member of both groups, I don't trust that at all. He wants to reinstate "Stop and Frisk" which we already know is unconstitutional. He may not be able to literally build a wall, but I don't trust him not to try to make the Arizona "show your papers" law a national thing. He'd also have a chance of getting at least 2 or 3 Supreme Court Justices approved, and he's on record saying he'd overturn the gay marriage ruling. One of his SCOTUS picks denies climate change like he does. We cannot afford to roll the dice with a Trump presidency.

Sulphuric Asshole
Apr 25, 2003
A Trump presidency will not result in the roundup and mass deportation of Muslims, nor will it result in unconstitutional warrantless searches of Muslim households.

Likewise, a Clinton presidency is not going to result in blanket amnesty for illegal immogrants currently living here.

Sulphuric Asshole fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Oct 17, 2016

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

A Trump presidency will not result in the roundup and mass deportation of Muslims, nor will it result in unconstitutional warrantless searches of Muslim households.

He drat sure seems to want it to result that way and has spoken favorably about doing just that for almost 2 years. The fact that he wants to do it is bad enough.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

How can you possibly know this?

Sulphuric Asshole
Apr 25, 2003
I'm not suggesting he's a good person, just that most of his bullshit he spews is probably not going to happen if he is elected.

WampaLord posted:

How can you possibly know this?

He is being abandoned by even other Republican politicians. The senate would not sit still for him.

Sulphuric Asshole fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Oct 17, 2016

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Likewise, a Clinton presidency is not going to result in blanket amnesty for illegal immogrants currently living here.

Again, I gotta say that it must be really nice to be so insulated from all political consequences that simply because you personally won't ever be affected you simply cannot comprehend how anyone else might be.

Sulphuric Asshole
Apr 25, 2003

Who What Now posted:

Again, I gotta say that it must be really nice to be so insulated from all political consequences that simply because you personally won't ever be affected you simply cannot comprehend how anyone else might be.

A cop-out dismissal of an argument ("Check your privilege") is not going to change the fact that a Trump presidency will have just as little change to people's daily lives as a Clinton presidency would.

Sulphuric Asshole fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Oct 17, 2016

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
So what are next week's lotto numbers?

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

If I live in a solidly blue state, why should it matter to me how bad a Trump presidency would be? My vote does not effect the likelihood of The Trump Reich coming to pass.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

He's right, remember how little 2000 mattered? Bush didn't do anything with lasting consequences.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Guys, surely the republican controlled Congress would work against Trump exactly as much as they would Hillary. That's just an indisputable fact. And furthermore *shits pants uncontrollably*

Sulphuric Asshole
Apr 25, 2003
They would with his retarded, unconstitutional decisions, especially since the large corporate interests, like the Koch Brothers, have stated their disdain for trump.

However it is a fair point that Hillary would get stonewalled even worse by a republican senate.

Motto posted:

He's right, remember how little 2000 mattered? Bush didn't do anything with lasting consequences.

His lasting consquences was foreign military intervention after an airplane crashed into the twin towers, the rest of the world getting pisded off, a large increase in the national debt, and increased domestic surveillance. A Democratic president at the time would have done much the same (Kerry, in fact, voted for military action against Iraq in 2002)

Sulphuric Asshole fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Oct 17, 2016

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

I'm not suggesting he's a good person, just that most of his bullshit he spews is probably not going to happen if he is elected.

He is being abandoned by even other Republican politicians. The senate would not sit still for him.

I think republicans are abandoning trump more since they fear backlash against him will affect their own reelection chances.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Motto posted:

Maybe I'm just an idiot, or maybe because I was 16 at the time, but my list of things that Bush did that affected citizen's daily lives is like 1) that refund 2) provide material for The Daily Show. Presidents are important for than just people's daily lives, but I don't understand this argument and you've only half made it.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

twodot posted:

Maybe I'm just an idiot, or maybe because I was 16 at the time, but my list of things that Bush did that affected citizen's daily lives is like 1) that refund 2) provide material for The Daily Show. Presidents are important for than just people's daily lives, but I don't understand this argument and you've only half made it.

You've got to be loving kidding me with this post.

How about the thousands of American soldiers that died in Iraq, for starters?

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

WampaLord posted:

Also at least 100k Iraqi civilian deaths.

Sulphuric Asshole
Apr 25, 2003

WampaLord posted:

Kerry most likely would have invaded Iraq as well. He publically supported disarming Iraq of WMD's, and has stated in interviews that he would probably had not been able to avoid a war either.

Sulphuric Asshole fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Oct 17, 2016

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Kerry most likely would have invaded Iraq as well. He publically supported disarming Iraq of WMD's.

Oh, this explains a lot about your posting. You're from some alternate universe where Kerry ran for President against W. in 2000!

Rated PG-34 posted:

Also at least 100k Iraqi civilian deaths.

I didn't bother with that since twodot was only talking about effects on "citizen's lives."

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

WampaLord posted:

Oh, this explains a lot about your posting. You're from some alternate universe where Kerry ran for President against W. in 2000!

I didn't bother with that since twodot was only talking about effects on "citizen's lives."

PATRIOT ACT/NSA was a big impact. NCLB had a big impact on teachers and students, too.

Sulphuric Asshole
Apr 25, 2003
That's fair. Kerry was 2004.

However, Al Gore favored the use of force in Iraq in 91 and 98, and justified the use of force in Kossovo and Bosnia as well, so there's a good chance he would have taken military action that pissed off the rest of the world.

Sulphuric Asshole fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Oct 17, 2016

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
It's not just that Bush took military action, it's how he went about it. Specifically attacking the wrong country altogether. So unless you think that Gore or Alt!Kerry also had weird grudges against Saddamn then I think even if military action were pursued we'd be better off for that reason alone.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

He's being abandoned because he's losing, not because he's a poo poo.

However, Al Gore favored the use of force in Iraq in 91 and 98, and justified the use of force in Kossovo and Bosnia as well, so there's a good chance he would have taken military action that pissed off the rest of the world.

It's a bit disgusting seeing you compare Kosovo and Bosnia with Iraq since there was a loving genocide going on at the time.

Sulphuric Asshole
Apr 25, 2003
There probably wasn't a good way to go about it that wouldn't result in the rest of the world getting pissed off. Gore wanted an "international coalition", or "UN agreement", or whatever spin he out on it, before taking military action, however even under Bush, a multi national force took hold, with many countries supporting military action.

Barbe Rouge posted:

It's a bit disgusting seeing you compare Kosovo and Bosnia with Iraq since there was a loving genocide going on at the time.

Hussein comitted genocide against the Kurds.

Sulphuric Asshole fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Oct 17, 2016

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Mrit posted:

The left loves the 'end of the world' poo poo just as much as the right.
The End of History and the Last Woman
Following a landslide election that sees Hillary Clinton take the White House, and the Republicans lose control of the Senate and the House, the 28th Amendment is proposed and ratified. The new amendment changes the procedure for coming to hold public office from an election to a standardized test, to ensure that only the best minds have a chance of leading the country, according to the rational principles of Smithian-Clintonism. No longer will the US, and the world in general, be threatened by the outbursts of irrationality of the far right and the far left.

Barbe Rouge posted:

In '91 there was a genocide going on in Iraq too.

Sulphuric Asshole
Apr 25, 2003

Barbe Rouge posted:

The RNC tried to change its delegation rules to prevent a Trump nomination. Republicans were jumping ship prior to him losing.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

The RNC tried to change its delegation rules to prevent a Trump nomination. Republicans were jumping ship prior to him losing.
But that was always a minority faction. Why do you think Trump will be opposed by the GOP?
Or better yet, why will Trump oppose all the awful poo poo the GOP would like to get passed?

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Hussein comitted genocide against the Kurds.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

In '91 there was a genocide going on in Iraq too.

Fine, I didn't know.

They tried to change the rules because they recognized they have no chance with him. They're not that stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

WampaLord posted:

This seems like statistical noise in the context of people's daily lives.

• Locked thread