Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
Same but Larry vs Sergei

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What kind of phone does Trump use

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

EugeneJ posted:

What kind of phone does Trump use

Blackberry Priv

A company following a steady collapse in reputation and a disbelief in reality since 2008, blaming everything but its own incompetent management, held onto by out of touch turbo males with a "business man superiority" mentality., and outdated concepts normal people don't want anymore, like "data conservation", and "physical keyboards".

And a strong commitment to security, exemplified by giving over their encryption keys to any government that requests them.

Hillary is Apple - Goes her own way, compromises security for NOBODY, and gently caress haters. And a little old fashioned... in a few non-racist grandmother ways.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Oct 16, 2016

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Does she come with a reality distortion field or is she just Tim Cook?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Hamelekim posted:

Chris Hedges weighs in on the current electoral mess. Lots of good stuff inside.

http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/donald_trump_the_dress_rehearsal_for_fascism_20161016

I'm sorry, sir, but this is the Verizon drive-through.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I'm sorry, sir, but this is the Verizon drive-through.

lol, oops.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

PerrineClostermann posted:

....Because I thought you were saying everyone using cases are doing it to protect looks. It's in the quoted message.

Thermopyle posted:

I find the idea of caring so much about your device getting minor scratches pretty foreign to me.

I'm not sure how I could've been any clearer what people I was talking about.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

LastInLine posted:

I barely "consume media" and I'd be hard pressed to use less than 1GB in a month. Of course I have unlimited data so I neither care about not check my data consumption, but why even buy a smartphone if you're just going use it on a plan that essentially makes it useless?

I listen to a lot of music and podcasts, so I can easily go over 1GB.

I also wish I could I could freely afford data plans that I could just let waste like you do, but that's not an option for me.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Something tells me I'm gonna go 'eh, gently caress it' and stick with my Nexus 6 until people start selling their Pixels

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

ZenVulgarity posted:

Something tells me I'm gonna go 'eh, gently caress it' and stick with my Nexus 6 until people start selling their Pixels

I've got basically the same phone with my Moto X, seeing no reason to change things up.

The Pixels look a lot like the HTC 10 to me - fine? Just nothing appealing.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I wonder if the Pixels will even update to Andromeda, or if those phones will be an entirely different line

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

EugeneJ posted:

I wonder if the Pixels will even update to Andromeda, or if those phones will be an entirely different line

Was that ever officially acknowledged?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
Yeah, has Andromeda even been officially announced and detailed? I don't remember reading much about it yet.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I use a case because the phone is way too thin and light. I miss those Nokia bricks.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

I'm on a nexus 5x which recently updated to 7.0.

It seems like its much pickier now about swiping away these notifications from the lock screen. Like the swipe has to cover 99% the width of the phone and can't be too slow or it ignores it. I don't remember having this much trouble dismissing notifications before. Am i crazy or did this change? Is there some way to set the sensitivity for it?

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

peepsalot posted:

It seems like its much pickier now about swiping away these notifications from the lock screen. Like the swipe has to cover 99% the width of the phone and can't be too slow or it ignores it. I don't remember having this much trouble dismissing notifications before. Am i crazy or did this change? Is there some way to set the sensitivity for it?

I have not noticed any different behavior going from a 5 on 6.0 to a 5x on 7.0

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

peepsalot posted:

If you do a small swipe it'll open a settings button now. But it's a really minor change and notifications still swipe away easily for me.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It's been driving me crazy too. Used to be able to swipe lock screen notifications away with one hand, now I can't. 5x

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

peepsalot posted:

It's not just you, because of the new swipe to access notification settings thing, I've had to adjust my swiping speed.

e: lol

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I just tried deliberately swiping slowly, and it still dismissed if I was slow and only went halfway. I mean, I guess if you were used to just doing a very short swipe (say 25% or so), then maybe it is acting different. For me, I've also got the phone size change that I'm adjusting to, but I was always pretty deliberate with my swipe.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Internet Explorer posted:

It's been driving me crazy too. Used to be able to swipe lock screen notifications away with one hand, now I can't. 5x
Yes, this is the problem. It requires both hands now.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Hace posted:

I listen to a lot of music and podcasts, so I can easily go over 1GB.

I also wish I could I could freely afford data plans that I could just let waste like you do, but that's not an option for me.

I'm not saying you have to pay for unlimited but Cricket gives you 5GB for $45. My unlimited everything on T-Mobile is $50 (per person for two people). Isn't Fi $15+$10/GB? I don't think I could get by on 1GB/m, especially when way more is so affordable.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

LastInLine posted:

I'm not saying you have to pay for unlimited but Cricket gives you 5GB for $45. My unlimited everything on T-Mobile is $50 (per person for two people). Isn't Fi $15+$10/GB? I don't think I could get by on 1GB/m, especially when way more is so affordable.

$20 + $10/GB for Fi + fees/taxes. When my Pixel arrives, I'll be switching to it from the Tmobile $30 prepaid plan because the 100 minutes occasionally poses a problem. I also never really use more than .5 GB of data a month, so I'm expecting the plan to be basically identical as far as price goes.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

LastInLine posted:

It's not the end of the world when a lot of podcast apps give you functionality to auto delete episodes you've already listened to and you keep most of your flavor of the month music at the ready

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Imagine the wonderful world I live in.

I store almost nothing on my phone, stream everything to and from the cloud so I have what amounts to unlimited storage and selection, I have great connectivity wherever I go, and never approach my data limits.

Livin' the dream, man.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Must be nice!

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
I am curious why people always complain about 16GB options if nobody uses onboard storage that much though

Kizurue
Apr 5, 2006

There's somethin' fishy goin' on here...
I was thinking about switching to Fi with my Pixel but then I looked at my data usage and decided that my wallet couldn't afford to give up unlimited data. I may hate Sprints lousy coverage but so far I have used 12.5 Gb of data this month.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Hace posted:

I am curious why people always complain about 16GB options if nobody uses onboard storage that much though

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Hace posted:

16gb is way too fuckin small, coming from an iphone 6

people crying about 32gb tho? gently caress them

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

the gently caress do you do with 70 gigs on a goddamn phone

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

PerrineClostermann posted:

Just because you don't doesn't mean I don't. I usually store local copies of media for consumption, in case of bad connection or a desire not to max out my monthly limit for a single 2 hour movie. If you have a decent PSP library on your phone, then you'll run out of 16GB rather quickly.

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord

Hace posted:

Well, if they are happy with 16GB then they have no reason to come and complain on internet forums about their phone having 16GB...
I think I have like half the space free on my 16GB 5X, I stream music from Google and photos also go into Google :yayclod:. I don't play games or have other gigantic apps installed though

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I have 20gigs just for my audiobooks, and those are like, 64kbps.

Also, flash/solid state storage has an issue where you need something like 10-20% free, to not interfere with performance.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Oh yes, can't forget the audiobooks. Working through the second Lord of the Rings book right now, with a delightfully British reader.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Mister Macys posted:

I have 20gigs just for my audiobooks, and those are like, 64kbps.

Also, flash/solid state storage has an issue where you need something like 10-20% free, to not interfere with performance.

Its this I cant understand, why on earth do you need to carry it all around with you? Are you listening to 20 gigs worth of audio books all at once?

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Skarsnik posted:

Its this I cant understand, why on earth do you need to carry it all around with you? Are you listening to 20 gigs worth of audio books all at once?

Vykk.Draygo posted:

The way I do things is right, the way you guys do things is wrong. gently caress everybody but me.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Skarsnik posted:

I had a 2gb Shuffle before this. Pick and choose is for losers. As the song goes, "I want it all, and I want it now".

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Oct 17, 2016

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
I have a 5GB data cap which I believe is way higher than the vast majority of Canadians (I got a sweet deal for my personal plan). It wouldn't surprise me if the average here was 1-2GB. So, phones with a lot of local storage are great here. Most people I know make heavy use of local caching for things like music and podcasts, everything we can. I run out of space on a 32GB phone, 64 is perfect but thanks Google, I'll get 128 instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I have "unlimited" (5gb before throttling), but my carrier (Wind) is poo poo. Low grade 3G; and the service is wildly inconsistent even along 5km of road.
Will switch to a new provider with proper coverage when I get a new phone.

Given that the OS alone is 10gb or so, I'd want at least 32gb for an Android phone, but I plan on getting a 64 for my next one, because data caps in Canada areahahahaha what a loving miserable joke. :smithicide:

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Oct 17, 2016