Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Amazon says 12:00 AM Pacific time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

I wouldn't believe any numbers that don't come from 2K directly. Amazon doesn't know any more than we do. If I had to guess I'd bet on something very similar to XCOM 2:

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Ein Sexmonster posted:

I wouldn't believe any numbers that don't come from 2K directly. Amazon doesn't know any more than we do.

That's when they are guaranteeing that your code will work.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Lorini posted:

Amazon says 12:00 AM Pacific time.

I've been seeing that, but it hasn't officially been announced. I'm going to guess 12:00 AM Eastern Time, because nobody considers Pacific to be time zone worth caring about.

Godmachine
Sep 5, 2004

I am beyond God.
I am Human.

The Human Crouton posted:

I've been seeing that, but it hasn't officially been announced. I'm going to guess 12:00 AM Eastern Time, because nobody considers Pacific to be time zone worth caring about.

Which I'm fine with since I live in Pacific Time and it's three hours earlier in the day.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

splifyphus posted:

• get the enemy to cede the city to you in the peace deal. If you don't get formal diplomatic recognition that the city is yours, it will not grow and will be a big diplomatic wart on your glorious empire.

What about total domination? The two options I see here are peace deal and no peace deal, but there's a third: no peace deal because the civilization no longer exists because I ground them to dust. At that point, why should I still have said diplomatic wart? The people you're upset about, they no longer exist; there is only me.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Revol posted:

What about total domination? The two options I see here are peace deal and no peace deal, but there's a third: no peace deal because the civilization no longer exists because I ground them to dust. At that point, why should I still have said diplomatic wart? The people you're upset about, they no longer exist; there is only me.

I think if you just wipe them out it's a moot issue, yea, it's just your poo poo.

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!
Also that makes Gorgo's "never cedes anything in a peace deal" agenda interesting since it means you have to either wipe her out or deal with having occupied cities forever.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
who is the best and or most useful and or has the least ridiculous accent among the prerelease streamers

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

boner confessor posted:

who is the best and or most useful and or has the least ridiculous accent among the prerelease streamers

Marzobir has a strong, but understandable accent, and by far the best videos and understanding of the game.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, I second Marbozir if you want watchable videos combined with good understanding of the game.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I like quill18's videos a lot, though I don't know where he ranks on skill.

Also if you want to see someone hilariously bad watch EnterElysium

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

IcePhoenix posted:

Also if you want to see someone hilariously bad watch EnterElysium

i'm already annoyed by this idiot ten minutes in to his first video

i'll go back to marbozir his accent turned me off but i can get over that if he's not doing the worst thing from day 1

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Ein Sexmonster posted:

I wouldn't believe any numbers that don't come from 2K directly. Amazon doesn't know any more than we do. If I had to guess I'd bet on something very similar to XCOM 2:

Friday at work is going to be hell because I assumed this was a regular release that comes out at noon in PST (which would be Friday evening in Europe) and took Monday off instead. If it actually comes out around midnight, I might need to develop an illness.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

IcePhoenix posted:

I like quill18's videos a lot, though I don't know where he ranks on skill.

Quill is kind of a jack of all trades. His VI games kind of annoyed me because I just wanted to see some game, but he over analyzed things to try to prove he was smart more than acting smart. He's the only YouTube player who plays as slow as the developers.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

The Human Crouton posted:

He's the only YouTube player who plays as slow as the developers.

By contrast Marbozir and Filthy play at a spastic pace that can be hard to follow if you aren't giving the video all of your attention. I like Quill's slow and methodical style of play because I can put it on the second monitor and do other stuff and not really miss a bunch of what's going on.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
i think when looking at potential alternate leaders, a good place to look is possible scenarios. G+K's big headlining scenario was Into the Renaissance - that's why it brought in Sweden, the Netherlands, the Byzantines, Austria, and included in Spain from their DLC. slightly lesser extent but BNW's big one was Scramble for Africa and so of course we get Morocco, the Zulu, and Portugal.

since it also seems like they want to avoid using leaders from V itself, a WWII scenario is sorta likely considering the lack of any such individuals in V as well (which is surprising, especially with BNW's whole big revamp of the ideology system, which they then never even did anything with for scenarios). on the flip side that basically necessitates a highly animated Hitler and they really don't seem to want to do that, even though Stalin and Mao are apparently perfectly okay but w/e.

maybe a WWI would work better. George V is a pretty decent alt for Engand, Wilhelm's a solid alt for Germany, Nicholas...isn't the best for Russia, Lenin would actually be a more fun choice but he's right after the war, Clemenceau is great because he's basically Mr. Monopoly, it's a good opportunity to bring back the Ottomans and Austria and introduce a modern Italy for the first time (would they even make a separate Italy under Victor Emmanuel? I mean it'd be weird to have him as a Rome alt), and on the off chance they actually have the entire world map and not just Europe with America and Japan as events, ...you could do a lot worse than Woodrow Wilson but he ain't no FDR, and...Meiji's in the same boat as Lenin, just a bit too early to technically be WWI but he's an obvious pick for Japan

alternately, Punic Wars might be fun for a Carthage and maybe...it depends on what they do with Persia. they gotta do a Persia, but they couldn't possibly just do the Seleucids for them, right? if they're going with that time period it'd really be Parthia.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Gyra_Solune posted:

since it also seems like they want to avoid using leaders from V itself, a WWII scenario is sorta likely considering the lack of any such individuals in V as well (which is surprising, especially with BNW's whole big revamp of the ideology system, which they then never even did anything with for scenarios). on the flip side that basically necessitates a highly animated Hitler and they really don't seem to want to do that, even though Stalin and Mao are apparently perfectly okay but w/e.

Hitler is never going to happen for marketing reasons, regardless of the personal feelings of anyone at Firaxis. I feel reasonably confident that we're not going to see Stalin or Mao as civ leaders again, as well.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Hitler is never going to happen for marketing reasons, regardless of the personal feelings of anyone at Firaxis. I feel reasonably confident that we're not going to see Stalin or Mao as civ leaders again, as well.

Also, doesn't Germany basically ban the use of Hitler in games? Kinda hard for Firaxis to use him if Germany will basically prevent anyone from buying the game in their territory.

Don't worry though, he'll totally be modded in a dozen times within the first week.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

They could do like Paradox and replace him with a shadowy figure named "Armand Hiller"

But yeah for a cartoony fun abstraction of history, the cost-benefit for including controversial elements without serious depth is very low

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Oct 17, 2016

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
They could give him sunglasses

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
For Persia, Cyrus is always a classic choice, but like I mentioned before putting him in the same game as his killer would be odd. Alternatively it could fit perfectly, I guess. At least one of Cyrus or Darius are probably showing up, though I wouldn't be surprised if they brought in a new one too. Possibly a female Persian emperor.

And yeah, no Hitler, Stalin, or Mao, I figure.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

how long will it take GMG to mail me the game key? Has anyone else also pre-ordered the game in GMG?

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit
a

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Mar 31, 2022

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Other people will still probably see you as a warmonger. Annihilating another civ entirely is pretty big, even if you have a "valid" casus belli.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit
a

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Mar 31, 2022

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

Revol posted:

Full annexing a civ counts as taking all theres cites in a peace deal so they no longer count as occupied. But you do get extra war monger for wiping out a civ instead of peacing out with them.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

So you only need 1 strategic resource to build as many units that need it? I'm not sure how this will play out. I like waging resource wars, especially for things like oil. It's a fun way to roleplay.

But does this mean that invading for resources is now only useful to deny your opponents of a resource? I don't know if I like that.

Another question, does anyone know if there are true ICBMS or does it still have a limited range?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

John F Bennett posted:

So you only need 1 strategic resource to build as many units that need it? I'm not sure how this will play out. I like waging resource wars, especially for things like oil. It's a fun way to roleplay.

But does this mean that invading for resources is now only useful to deny your opponents of a resource? I don't know if I like that.

Another question, does anyone know if there are true ICBMS or does it still have a limited range?

Yes and no. You need one copy of the strategic resource in order to build the associated units from encampments, but if you want to build them everywhere you'll need two copies.

Effectively what's changed is that your empire needs multiple copies of luxuries, while only it only needs one (or two, I guess) copy of strategic resources.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

John F Bennett posted:

Of all the changes in VI, this is the one that just baffles me. What was wrong with the old system? Did they want to make strategic resource deposits rarer on the map? Were the yield bonuses too much?

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Mantis42 posted:

Not bad, but it would be nice to see someone representing modern China in the 2nd spot. One that isn't Mao.

Sun Yat-Sen, founder of the Republic of China, the end of the imperial era and thus a natural counterpoint to Qin Shi Huang. Sure, his revolution didn't quite pan out the way he wanted and he never hold complete power over the entire country, but he gets in under Gandhi rules, alright? His unique ability could be named after the 3 Principles of the People and be related to social policy or some such.

Considering that Sun Yat-Sen's 3rd Principle is Democracy, the CCP would never allow him in a modern product.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
I'm wondering why they didn't use Endless Legends approach to strategic resources.

(You accrued and spent them over time, and needed stockpiles).

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
theres no vast chicom conspiracy to ruin your bideogames you dumbass

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

strategic resources seem hard to get right because you want them to actually affect gameplay or they're pointless but usually when they do affect gameplay it's by limiting your options and being an inconvience

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Trivia posted:

I'm wondering why they didn't use Endless Legends approach to strategic resources.

(You accrued and spent them over time, and needed stockpiles).

The Civ series has in general been averse to stockpiling any resource other than gold, which makes more sense in a game that spans millennia. In fact, they should have done one better and make gold be an abstraction of economic power than literal money that you put in your pocket and can save up to spend whenever.

However, they should have made having two iron deposits under your control be in a measurable way better than just having one to trade away. I hope someone mods in CPB's monopoly bonuses, or at least some scaling bonus.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

hump day bitches! posted:

how long will it take GMG to mail me the game key? Has anyone else also pre-ordered the game in GMG?
In the past it's either been instantly or else like 24 hours before release.

This time I ended up doing the retarded bluecoin dance with GamersGate and after waiting for manual review on the coins order I'm greeted with "We're actually out of CivVi keys, it may be a few days before you get it".

Feels like any of these places offering discounts are pre-selling codes they don't really have yet. :(

vvv Yeah, I know, just feeling a bit deflated after going through that intermediary currency nonsense.

Nill fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Oct 17, 2016

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Nill posted:

In the past it's either been instantly or else like 24 hours before release.

This time I ended up doing the retarded bluecoin dance with GamersGate and after waiting for manual review on the coins order I'm greeted with "We're actually out of CivVi keys, it may be a few days before you get it".

Feels like any of these places offering discounts are pre-selling codes they don't really have yet. :(

shock as Really Popular Game™ results in key shortages on non-Steam etailers the last two weeks before launch, film at eleven

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Autonomous Monster posted:

Of all the changes in VI, this is the one that just baffles me. What was wrong with the old system? Did they want to make strategic resource deposits rarer on the map? Were the yield bonuses too much?

it leads to snowballs because the person who has more strategic resources can more easily claim further strategic resources, and given how some strategic resources don't pop up till late in the game it's a roll of the dice if you'll be crippled without fighting your friendly neighbor for their coal or whatever. i played a multiplayer game as russia recently where i was suddenly in serious trouble because none of my cities, half of which were conquered, had any uranium at all, and the guy i was already beating on had like half the world's supply

from a non-gameplay standpoint it doesn't make much sense because it's not like i need to keep a supply of iron to maintain iron weapons, i just need to be able to produce them once

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Xerxes17 posted:

Considering that Sun Yat-Sen's 3rd Principle is Democracy, the CCP would never allow him in a modern product.

A more pertinent reason to not include Sun Yat-Sen is that he was a wildly ineffectual loser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

In a shocking move, Civilization VI becomes the millionth video game to feature Lu Bu in some capacity