Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

When I opened the 20 packs I picked up on Kaladesh release I was sad that I opened 2 normal blue hulks and 1 foil, I wanted green or black. Now I am very happy that I opened them. If only the land bases for these decks didn't cost so much, I got 0 Aether Hubs, luckily I have 2 fumaroles already and a Dovin Baan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Well deserved.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Rinkles posted:

Well deserved.

yeah.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Elyv posted:

most of those people probably have the issue of not having much experience in the control mirror and also being not shota yasooka

Loved that interview at the end where they asked, "What's your advice for the people at home who might want to play this deck?" and his whole answer was, "Don't."

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

alrighty ordering my Can't Get Enough Shota! shirt to wear to next FNM in support. can't wait to see the look on everyone's face as I rep our new pro tour champion.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

alrighty ordering my Can't Get Enough Shota! shirt to wear to next FNM in support. can't wait to see the look on everyone's face as I rep our new pro tour champion.

Shirt nothing, I'm putting a whole event together to honor him, ShotaCon.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

Shirt nothing, I'm putting a whole event together to honor him, ShotaCon.

Really wishing the mods still gave a poo poo about the thread right now

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Sickening posted:

Because its power level is pretty insane for standard and the masses didn't forsee all the different combo decks that would poo poo on g/w midrange.

Looks like green gearhulk is a great card without a decent home.

It also could just be a meta thing. Goldfish has an article up running the numbers for the tournament, and day 1 had a ton of Aetherworks Combo decks. Greenhulk is a damned good card and throwing 4 power onto your trampling dudes is big game, but I don't think it beats T4 Ulamog. Of course, those combo decks got absolutely devoured by anything with blue spells and mostly got hazed out of day 2.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Oct 17, 2016

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

one thing about competitive mtg thats always bothered me is how much having byes can skew a tournament, purely based on metagame poo poo

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

gently caress I'm committed to bring r/w vehicles to a standard gameday next weekend but I really want to go with the dynavolt r/w deck. Too bad none of the shops have any gearhulks left :sigh:

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I have no idea what to play right now, was playing BW control until EDM then say out standard until Kaladesh. Nothing in the top decks looks like it has much in common with what I was doing before, but I do at least have Gideons. Would quite like to play with the Gearhulks, like the idea of playing Cataclysmic and being able to keep it and a Noxious who can then swing safely, or play a noxious to get their best creature. I've seen some Mardu reanimator builds but if that was a thing I expect we'd see at the PT, or maybe I'm reading to much into that since it was a partially Limited event.

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

I'm secretly hoping that the tourney will be filled with bandwagoning bad control players who bought up all the torrential gearhulks so I can just run them over with vehicles :getin:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Shota nooooooo!!

Reddit posted:

Hi guys,
Wondering if someone with more experience on how shuffles work could have a look at Shota Yasooka's shuffles in the Pro tour finals.
First up I spotted this, when Shota cracked an evolving wilds in turn 12 (count the lands):
https://clips.twitch.tv/magic/HelpfulNightingaleSmoocherZ
Watch how he moves his only remaining mountain to the bottom there. Then he does this out of the ordinary shuffle that looks to me a lot like the fake shuffles do.
Afterwards, Carlos Romao does a triple mash shuffle, but does not cut and lo and behold he draws the mountain in question(he only plays 2 mountains) 4 turns later:
https://clips.twitch.tv/magic/HelpfulAntelopeOptimizePrime
Now I don't have enough experience with fake shuffles to know if the first one was legit or not, this could all be a coincidence, but I would like some of you to look at it.
Something else Ive noticed in between game 2 and 3 the shuffling Shota uses is distinctly different for his own deck than for his opponents.
https://clips.twitch.tv/magic/UnsightlyEagleRedCoat
What is going on here? Why is he looking at his deck between every shuffle and not moving the top 4-5 cards of his deck? It looks like he cuts what he stacked from the top to the middle before presenting to his opponent, so if his opponent does a half deck cut it ends up back on top.
Afterwards when he shuffles Carlos Romao's deck after he uses a regular shuffle where he doesn't look at the cards at all so what's going on earlier?
Shota shuffling Carlos' deck without looking: https://clips.twitch.tv/magic/SillyWalrusBleedPurple
Hoping you guys can shed some light on this.

I hope its bogus.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Willeh posted:

I'm secretly hoping that the tourney will be filled with bandwagoning bad control players who bought up all the torrential gearhulks so I can just run them over with vehicles :getin:

I played a match online just a few mins ago against a guy running Shota's deck, I won both games with 20 life. I knew that his deck would show up all over the place so I main boarded 4 Turn Aside to protect my creatures, it paid off well. I expect to see a ton of people not good at control trying to pilot it when they should really be playing the Jeskai Control or UW Flash decks if they aren't masters of control. UW Flash looks like it could do really well right now, I wish I had the cards for it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
If you go just by standard UW is the deck you want to be playing vs the field...

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Sickening posted:

Shota nooooooo!!

I hope its bogus.

i like how his evidence is Shota drawing the allegedly planted Mountain 4 turns later at a point in the game where he has 16 lands in play and the worst draw in his deck is easily any land

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

On my phone now but is this 'out of the ordinary shuffle' the Hindu shuffle that's common across most of Asia?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Irony Be My Shield posted:

On my phone now but is this 'out of the ordinary shuffle' the Hindu shuffle that's common across most of Asia?

yes

Edit: the game 2 letting the fastland come into play untapped on the 4th turn so he could play Glimmer of Genius on the next end step was a much more egregious sneak than any shuffling.

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Oct 17, 2016

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

MiddleEastBeast posted:

i like how his evidence is Shota drawing the allegedly planted Mountain 4 turns later at a point in the game where he has 16 lands in play and the worst draw in his deck is easily any land

Because as we know, any good cheater is trying to lose as hard as possible.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

GoutPatrol posted:

yes

Edit: the game 2 letting the fastland come into play untapped on the 4th turn so he could play Glimmer of Genius on the next end step was a much more egregious sneak than any shuffling.

Which was also caught and he got a warning for.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Sickening posted:

Shota nooooooo!!

I hope its bogus.

it's a legit shuffle in the first clip, the second one looks weird but like, isn't really conclusive to me

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

ThePeavstenator posted:

Which was also caught and he got a warning for.

Getting caught after winning the game really didn't matter at that point.

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

mcmagic posted:

If you go just by standard UW is the deck you want to be playing vs the field...

this one?

4 Archangel Avacyn
1 Declaration in Stone
4 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
6 Island
9 Plains
4 Port Town
4 Prairie Stream
3 Rattlechains
4 Reflector Mage
4 Selfless Spirit
4 Smuggler's Copter
4 Spell Queller
3 Stasis Snare
4 Thraben Inspector
2 Westvale Abbey

2 Blessed Alliance
2 Ceremonious Rejection
1 Declaration in Stone
2 Fragmentize
1 Fumigate
2 Jace, Unraveler of Secrets
1 Linvala, the Preserver
2 Negate
2 Summary Dismissal

It looks good but I'm worried about the 1 declaration in main, maybe go up to 2-3?

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Willeh posted:

this one?

4 Archangel Avacyn
1 Declaration in Stone
6 Island
9 Plains
4 Port Town
4 Prairie Stream
3 Rattlechains
4 Reflector Mage
4 Selfless Spirit
4 Smuggler's Copter
4 Spell Queller
3 Stasis Snare
4 Thraben Inspector
2 Westvale Abbey

2 Blessed Alliance
2 Ceremonious Rejection
1 Declaration in Stone
2 Fragmentize
1 Fumigate
1 Linvala, the Preserver
2 Negate
2 Summary Dismissal

It looks good but I'm worried about the 1 declaration in main, maybe go up to 2-3?

Declaration is a card you play because you have to, not because you want to.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Willeh posted:

this one?

4 Archangel Avacyn
1 Declaration in Stone
6 Island
9 Plains
4 Port Town
4 Prairie Stream
3 Rattlechains
4 Reflector Mage
4 Selfless Spirit
4 Smuggler's Copter
4 Spell Queller
3 Stasis Snare
4 Thraben Inspector
2 Westvale Abbey

2 Blessed Alliance
2 Ceremonious Rejection
1 Declaration in Stone
2 Fragmentize
1 Fumigate
1 Linvala, the Preserver
2 Negate
2 Summary Dismissal

The 4 best preforming standard decks were all UW.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/ptkld/24-27-point-standard-decklists-2016-10-16

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Willeh posted:

this one?

4 Archangel Avacyn
1 Declaration in Stone
6 Island
9 Plains
4 Port Town
4 Prairie Stream
3 Rattlechains
4 Reflector Mage
4 Selfless Spirit
4 Smuggler's Copter
4 Spell Queller
3 Stasis Snare
4 Thraben Inspector
2 Westvale Abbey

2 Blessed Alliance
2 Ceremonious Rejection
1 Declaration in Stone
2 Fragmentize
1 Fumigate
1 Linvala, the Preserver
2 Negate
2 Summary Dismissal

I love this deck but I don't want to spend a hot pile of money on 3 more avacyn's who will only tank in value :(

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

Mezzanon posted:

I love this deck but I don't want to spend a hot pile of money on 3 more avacyn's who will only tank in value :(

Yeah and she's such a linchpin in that deck, gently caress. It's just not worth getting those.

ThePeavstenator posted:

I hadn't thought of it that way yet, the thing you want to hit the most is emrakul and if he hits it's already too late.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

ThePeavstenator posted:

I think these decks all want Skywhaler's Shot...

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

mcmagic posted:

Yeah, I think you might want a stasis snare or two as well.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Willeh posted:

Yeah and she's such a linchpin in that deck, gently caress. It's just not worth getting those.

I have everything for the deck and one avacyn. Oh well, maybe I'll just play R/U spells and find room for fevered visions in it.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

mcmagic posted:

Did a bunch of standard testing last night and I can confirm that Skywhaler's Shot is a fantastic magic card.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Instant speed removal with an easy mana cost and card selection stapled on is pretty :eyepop:

Stasis Snare is still an important roleplayer for killing Emrakul, Gideon, and other various indestructible beaters like Ulamog and Ormendahl.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Oct 17, 2016

anglachel
May 28, 2012
So when will we hit the point where Smugglers Chopter is worth more than Chandra?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

anglachel posted:

So when will we hit the point where Smugglers Chopter is worth more than Chandra?

That's when you sell them.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

One thing I appreciated about the control mirror finals: none of the games came down to land issues.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Rinkles posted:

One thing I appreciated about the control mirror finals: none of the games came down to land issues.

Shota flooded out super hard in g3.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Elyv posted:

Shota flooded out super hard in g3.

Also the other guy missed quite a few early land drops.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

And, very broadly speaking, neither was as critical as it would've been in most other matchups.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Weren't the Commander spoilers supposed to start earlier today? What happened to those?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I was wondering if there's be a viable LD deck in Standard with a few instant-speed LD options that could get flashed back by Torrential Gearhulk, but it would involve a lot of colors and I don't think T3 land destruction is good enough in a format defined by Smuggler's Copter. More notably, there's absolutely nothing that can get cast by Dark Dwellers, so lines like T2 Dork, T3 Land Destruction, T4 Threat + Land Destruction are simply off the table.

• Locked thread