Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Gift that keeps on giving

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Crossposting from the awful mods thread because holy loving poo poo:

SOMEONE on the nexus posted:

I honestly think you're underestimating the trolling power of some individuals within the community. I think you seem to think that rating trolls are idiotic children who TyPe LiKe ThIs and rate mods 1 out of 5 with the comment "ThIs MoD iS poo poo LOLOLOL!!!111".

Ratings on the Nexus used to be attached to a minimum character limit comment that went along with the rating. This was when we used a weighted rating system using a very specific algorithm in our top files.

While hundreds of people would rate a mod 5 out of 5, you'd get trolls who would deliberately rate a mod 3 or 4 out of 5, and attach a well-written and cohesive reason for it. We're talking someone rating Wyrmstooth or Falskaar 3 or 4 out of 5 because they found that certain textures were of a lower quality than elsewhere in the mod (providing specific examples, so they did their homework), or because they found the voice acting was slightly subpar and so on and so forth. Basically, using subjective opinions as a reason to rate a mod lower. Written very well, but you knew it was trolling, or at least twattish, because no one expects an amateur mod to be professional quality and/or recorded in a sound studio in Hollywood. But how can you tell someone their subjective opinions are wrong?

If you remove that rating, that troll will come down on you hard. Why aren't his "opinions" valid when everyone else's are, simply because he doesn't agree with everyone else? "You're just like the Nexus and want to bubble wrap the mod authors", and so on and so forth.

What, you're going to let the rating stand? Watch how others who don't like the mod author realise this and jump on the band wagon. They'll begin filing similar ratings just to piss off the mod author because they said something on these forums or the official forums that then got shared on Reddit/4Chan/some social network site about paid modding/file permissions/enter some equally controversial topic here that wasn't popular with a certain group of people, so they want to get their own back. Once they have a barometer on ModPicker of what is and isn't acceptable, they'll skate that line of acceptability to the fullest extent, and word spreads fast.

How are you going to deal with such ratings that, yes, can upset mod authors despite there being hundreds of good ratings to offset this?

It sounds ridiculous. It sounds like I'm being over the top and exaggerating. I'm not. It wasn't just a small problem, it was a big problem for the Nexus. Several of the mod authors in this thread who are against your rating system were around when this was happening and they can certainly vouch for it. You might think you can moderate it, but you can't. To think you can is arrogance (or naivety).

Guess who posted this. NO CHEATING DON'T CHECK AND IF YOU ALREADY KNOW SHUT UP THIS IS SERIOUS

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Is the latter part of their name a geographical term often used to describe open plains with certain unique characteristics

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Nope!

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Huh.

Is it someone who's name starts with a file format generally used to mimic physical discs and which ends with the Norwegian word for cow?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Subjectively rating a mod lower and writing a perfectly good reason makes sense. You might as well just have a 1/5 and 5/5 and don't let people choose anything in between if you want your hugbox for mod authors.
If someone gives a mod I made a 1/5 I don't care. If they give it 4/5 and attach a good reason, that's constructive criticism, and lets you make changes instead of blindly going 'THIS GUY IS TROLL LET'S SLAM HIM FOR GIVING MY VISION A LESS THAN PERFECT SCORE'

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

IAmTheRad posted:

Subjectively rating a mod lower and writing a perfectly good reason makes sense. You might as well just have a 1/5 and 5/5 and don't let people choose anything in between if you want your hugbox for mod authors.
If someone gives a mod I made a 1/5 I don't care. If they give it 4/5 and attach a good reason, that's constructive criticism, and lets you make changes instead of blindly going 'THIS GUY IS TROLL LET'S SLAM HIM FOR GIVING MY VISION A LESS THAN PERFECT SCORE'

And this is why the Nexus use Endorsements.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

ThaumPenguin posted:

Huh.

Is it someone who's name starts with a file format generally used to mimic physical discs and which ends with the Norwegian word for cow?

I... don't think so...?

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

GunnerJ posted:

I... don't think so...?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_image

I don't know enough about mod drama.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Oh, "isoku," nope.

HINT: The person who posted that is not "a mod author" per se, but this was posted in the author-only forum.

eta: Also their name is not anything like "isoku" I was just thrown off by the Norwegian cow thing.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

GunnerJ posted:

Oh, "isoku," nope.

HINT: The person who posted that is not "a mod author" per se, but this was posted in the author-only forum.

eta: Also their name is not anything like "isoku" I was just thrown off by the Norwegian cow thing.

I felt like getting esoteric with my suggestions.

But not a mod author? Hmm.

Wait, is it Dark0ne?

Or I guess "Slightly leet version of Satan"

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

ThaumPenguin posted:

Wait, is it Dark0ne?

DING DING DING

Straight up the guy who runs Nexus. Explains a lot!

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Well that says a lot, doesn't it.

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009
Can't be Dark0ne. It's under twenty paragraphs.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I've never made a mod before but it seems like someone posting a 3/4 out of 5 with an explanation on how it could be better would be the best case scenario from an author's standpoint.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I've never made a mod before but it seems like someone posting a 3/4 out of 5 with an explanation on how it could be better would be the best case scenario from an author's standpoint.

I talked about this in my Morrowind Modding Interview a few months ago, the sheer hatred of constructive feedback in the community and how harmful it is.

I get that some people just want to put a fun mod out there, made in their spare time and released for free out of (charitably) love of the game and community, and they're just not interested in seeing someone take it apart and criticise them. I totally get that!

However, they're totally flawed in their thinking and the hate for criticism is damaging to the quality of both mods and the community around them. I once commented on a Morrowind clothing mod that all the dialogue it added was in terrible English and full of spelling and grammar mistakes - politely, you know, saying the main part of the mod was the clothes and that was unaffected, just a mild criticism - and the modder responded with a tearful rant about how this is why they wanted to quit modding forever.

That was like 10+ years ago and the culture has become an order of magnitude worse.

Like, I'm insecure, I struggle not to take criticism personally. But I loving get over it. It's easy to see who's trolling and who's offering constructive feedback and the latter comes from a good place.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I think a lot of modders are either really young or are really sheltered. Accepting criticism is a skill you learn fairly quickly in the real world. If they took a step back and saw they're tearing up over a ten word comment they might also have the selfawareness to realize they're spending hundreds of hours of their life making skyrim mods and never come back.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

They probably are also into the entire 'safe space' thing and had their parents always tell them they are the best and they can do no wrong.

Will they rage if they manage to get a job if their boss criticizes their work? They need to realize the real world is harsh.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

No way they're safe spacers

They're all die hard conservatives who are sick of ~political correctness~ and would be the next Bill Gates Donald trump if only the government wasn't holding them back

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
There are modders who have been around since Morrowind who have had the same attitude for over a decade.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Strategic Tea posted:

No way they're safe spacers

They're all die hard conservatives who are sick of ~political correctness~ and would be the next Bill Gates Donald trump if only the government wasn't holding them back

Just because someone claims to be opposed to the concept of a "safe space" doesn't mean they won't embrace the safe spaces that fit their views.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

God, I hope this isn't leading to a long derail.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Sounds like the Stormcloaks.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

I want and need to believe that at least one person responded to that post with some variation of "That's not trolling you moron, that's normal." Just... just one person.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

The idea of "moderating" a 5-star rating system to "handle" "trolls" who give less than five stars because they didn't like something, just the very idea that someone needs to seriously consider how to deal with that situation, is actually in itself trolling the poo poo out of me. That is how 5-star rating systems work. The aggregate opinion will tend to be reflected in the rating even with some outliers. Especially for these rock star mods with millions of endorsements. What the gently caress.

What are these mother fuckers going to do with beth.net's 5-star system is here to stay?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

GunnerJ posted:

I want and need to believe that at least one person responded to that post with some variation of "That's not trolling you moron, that's normal." Just... just one person.

Hahahahahahaha.

Not a one.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
If any did, they were banned, blocked, and had their comment deleted.

pubic void nullo
May 17, 2002

GunnerJ posted:

While hundreds of people would rate a mod 5 out of 5, you'd get trolls who would deliberately rate a mod 3 or 4 out of 5, and attach a well-written and cohesive reason for it. We're talking someone rating Wyrmstooth or Falskaar 3 or 4 out of 5 because they found that certain textures were of a lower quality than elsewhere in the mod (providing specific examples, so they did their homework), or because they found the voice acting was slightly subpar and so on and so forth. Basically, using subjective opinions as a reason to rate a mod lower. Written very well, but you knew it was trolling, or at least twattish, because no one expects an amateur mod to be professional quality and/or recorded in a sound studio in Hollywood. But how can you tell someone their subjective opinions are wrong?
I got trolled by this for a minute. Good one. :stonklol:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

pubic void nullo posted:

I got trolled by this for a minute. Good one. :stonklol:

3/5.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Hey, remember Gategate? Now Arthmoor brings us some ancient bullshit from ESO.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/79508/

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Davoren posted:

Hey, remember Gategate? Now Arthmoor brings us some ancient bullshit from ESO.
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/79508/
This is in essence not a bad mod though? It's not a forced update of a bigger mod. And they're placed in remote areas as something neat for the player to stumble upon.
The only problem I see is with the quality. The textures look kinda lovely in those screenshots.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Raygereio posted:

This is in essence not a bad mod though? It's not a forced update of a bigger mod. And they're placed in remote areas as something neat for the player to stumble upon.
The only problem I see is with the quality. The textures look kinda lovely in those screenshots.

Yeah it's pretty terrible. It stands out too much and the anti-aliasing is way sharp.

For the OP: you may want to remove Localized Thief Jobs from the list. I was checking on it yesterday and there's been more complaints than compliments in its comments about it ruining players' games and making them unable to progress in the Thieves' Guild questline (personally I've never even been able to get it to work). Another user suggested an alternative: Taking Care of Business, which offers some alternate methods to also handling the quests in the Thieves Guild so you don't burn the bridges with certain NPCs while also allowing you to take all radiant jobs and dictate where you're going to do city jobs like LTJ. It's meant to work in tandem with Thieves Guild Requirements (though it has a version for those who don't use it). I just installed it myself so I can't say whether or not it's A+ but it seems to be a better option than LTJ.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Raygereio posted:

I actually don't mind this, might even be cool if the fights at each one are set up to be challenging and fun, it just makes me laugh because the oblivion gate thing was my first time hearing about him, and now he's bringin' it back!

Davoren fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Oct 17, 2016

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

That seems like an alright mod. If it had better textures and if I was more into ESO, I'd probably add it to my load order.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Davoren posted:

I actually don't mind this, might even be cool if the fights at each one are set up to be challenging and fun, it just makes me laugh because the oblivion gate thing was my first time hearing about him.

The problem is that people would tear down the structures. They don't want to wander around and suddenly be reminded of something that happened centuries ago. ESO took place in 2E 583. 2E 867 is when Tiber Septim said the 3rd era would begin. 3E 433 is when the Oblivion crisis began, and began the 4th era. 4E 201 is when Skyrim takes place.
I am pretty sure that 1 millenium is enough for people to get rid of the Dolmens or to have the land itself swallow them up.

I severely doubt people would see the Oblivion gates and go "yeah that should stay. We should be reminded of when the daedra almost destroyed Tamriel." The same would go with the Dolmens and people going "yeah that should stay. We should remember when Molag Bal tried to bring Tamriel into his plane of Oblivion."

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Hey man, some of them have trees in the middle, Skyrim is a conservation area.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
I'm just now getting back into Skyrim and wondering, how do you tell if you're using the Legendary Edition?

Using my brother's old computer - Steam library just calls it The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim but opening Mod Organizer shows Dragonborn.esm and Dawnguard.esm

I don't remember buying dlc, were these part of regular updates? Is that all you need for USLEEP to work?

Jackard fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Oct 17, 2016

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Jackard posted:

I'm just now getting back into Skyrim and wondering, how do you tell if you're using the Legendary Edition?

Using my brother's old computer - Steam library just calls it Elder Scrolls: Skyrim but opening Mod Organizer shows Dragonborn.esm and Dawnguard.esm

I don't remember buying dlc, were these part of regular updates? Is that all you need for USLEEP to work?

The Legendary Edition would have all the DLC, and you're missing Hearthfire.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Bought Hearthfire yesterday because one of the mods needed it

Not really interested in the DLC, just wanting to know if these ESMs are enough for USLEEP and modern mods.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Oct 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
As long as you have it activated you can ignore the Hearthfires content easily enough, yeah.

Legendary edition is really just Skyrim + all DLC, so you'd have this in your list:
Skyrim.esm
Update.esm
Dawnguard.esm
Hearthfires.esm
Dragonborn.esm

if you've got that you are good to go, even if Steam does not say Legendary Edition.

Psion fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Oct 17, 2016