Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

hell yeah broken glass roads

someone call notorious bsd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

that's how you can tell the dot isn't taking this seriously, the first thing they would have done is test if you can actually drive or stop on loving glass

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

what if you sand it rough & fragile tho

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
:awesome: i've done the math and the only thing it'll see is tire pressure, my tesla clocks in at 34 psi and this solar panel can take 75 :awesome:

semi truck with 18x100psi tires and a 45,000 pound load shows up in town

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
speaking of invasive advertising, the place we get our car washes figured out that you had a clear windshield and nothing to do at the end when you're under the drying fans and added in some tvs running advertisements there

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

:flaccid:

Jonny 290 posted:

:awesome: i've done the math and the only thing it'll see is tire pressure, my tesla clocks in at 34 psi and this solar panel can take 75 :awesome:

:dong:

Jonny 290 posted:

semi truck with 18x100psi tires and a 45,000 pound load shows up in town

Wild EEPROM posted:

I can't wait until they start putting screens in it and you get ads as you drive your ad-supported car to your job in advertising

uncurable mlady posted:

speaking of invasive advertising, the place we get our car washes figured out that you had a clear windshield and nothing to do at the end when you're under the drying fans and added in some tvs running advertisements there

:gizz:

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
I'd say we should bring back the guillotine for advertisers, but they'd just get excited by the opportunity for putting a sponsor's brand on the blade

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Soricidus posted:

I'd say we should bring back the guillotine for advertisers, but they'd just get excited by the opportunity for putting a sponsor's brand on the blade

la gilletteine

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

uncurable mlady posted:

la gilletteine

now with 5 blades for a smoother decapitation

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Athletic Footjob posted:

now with 5 blades for a smoother decapitation

/family of poors rejoice at four fat bourgeois neck slices to cook on a spit over a fire of thousand dollar notes

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

do you think this thing actually works?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lynktec/flip-the-worlds-most-intuitive-smart-stylus?ref=home_popular

tl;dr: it's yet another stylus for a tablet. this one's conceit is that it has better accuracy and automatic palm-rejection because it communicates with the tablet, but without using bluetooth or batteries or the inductive field of a wacom system.

how does it do this? magnets

there is a rare-earth magnet in the stylus, and it works with "sensors in the device" (presumably the compass) to "determine the precise location and orientation" of the stylus, then uses the capacitive system only for fine positioning

so basically the compass points at the stylus and that lets the phone know where it is.

it's at least theoretically possible but, well, the devil's always in the details

what say ye

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Mister Sinewave posted:

The only thing better would be if you claim you can make roads out of literal garbage, AND they also pay for themselves

we already have this. asphalt is already like 99% recyclable it's pretty cool

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i saw a cool machine this summer that was resurfacing an entire lane of road in one shot

more of a train of machines, really, about 100m long. first something that ground up the road surface, which dumped the asphalt into some kind of furnace boiler thing, which re-spread it on the ground, then graders and steamrollers, etc

was going super slow, like maybe 1/4 mph, but pretty fuckin amazing. old road goes in one side, new road comes out the back

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

ahmeni posted:

Sagebrush posted:

i saw a cool machine this summer that was resurfacing an entire lane of road in one shot

more of a train of machines, really, about 100m long. first something that ground up the road surface, which dumped the asphalt into some kind of furnace boiler thing, which re-spread it on the ground, then graders and steamrollers, etc

was going super slow, like maybe 1/4 mph, but pretty fuckin amazing. old road goes in one side, new road comes out the back

both of these things are cool, and i enjoyed learning about them :thumbsup:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

do you think this thing actually works?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lynktec/flip-the-worlds-most-intuitive-smart-stylus?ref=home_popular

tl;dr: it's yet another stylus for a tablet. this one's conceit is that it has better accuracy and automatic palm-rejection because it communicates with the tablet, but without using bluetooth or batteries or the inductive field of a wacom system.

how does it do this? magnets

there is a rare-earth magnet in the stylus, and it works with "sensors in the device" (presumably the compass) to "determine the precise location and orientation" of the stylus, then uses the capacitive system only for fine positioning

so basically the compass points at the stylus and that lets the phone know where it is.

it's at least theoretically possible but, well, the devil's always in the details

what say ye

I bought Wacom's ipad stylus twice. The first one got bricked by ios7. Now the new version I got, which is pretty nice, isnt compatible with the Air 2 or newer. :negative:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

newer than air 2 has the class-leading apple pencil available for it

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Endless Mike posted:

newer than air 2 has the class-leading apple pencil available for it

the apple pencil is incredibly good

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Sagebrush posted:

i think my favorite part of the solar roads idea is that we've somehow solved every issue that is currently preventing us from blanketing the country with solar cells, somehow having the industry to manufacture billions of cells and feed it into the grid from hundreds or thousands of miles away,

and we decide to put them

in places

where we've already built something

and not in like the 10,000 square miles of nevada that contains nothing but sagebrush and mildly radioactive dust

if you blanket a huge chunk of desert you're probably going to super gently caress with ecosystems and poo poo ya moron, that's why you just put them on buildings we already have, or to roof over things like parking lots which is common. to say nothing of possible transmission losses or problems with maintenence if it's one huge chunk out in nowhere

those roofed other parking lots with solar panels are pretty great too just on their own.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
deserts are actually very lively, please be nice to the desert creatures

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
OBEY THE PRIME DIRECTIVE :nsamad:

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

ahmeni posted:

:thejoke:

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
gently caress desert life, the spice must flow

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1315632982/keep-portland-weird-official-oregon-license-plate

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I thought that was Austin's slogan

e: also why does Kickstarter mobile default to the rewards tab and not the actual goddamn campaign

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Yodzilla posted:

e: also why does Kickstarter mobile default to the rewards tab and not the actual goddamn campaign

i'm sure its for ~conversions~

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

sorry I just really like talking about how cool asphalt is

Macavity
Jun 29, 2006

There never was a cat of such deceitfulness and suavity.
Fun Shoe
tin foil hat? gently caress that, let's do a whole tin foil suit

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/872955472/anti-surveillance-coat-protects-you-and-your-priva

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

isn't a faraday cage only effective when grounded?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
The Anti-Surveillance Coat is constructed of different layers of metalliferous fabrics that works like the principle of the Faraday cage. This means that every in- and outgoing signal will be blocked, keeping you and your data safe from radiation. It covers your complete body and falls all the way down to your legs. The design comes with a hood that allows you to be completely covered. Let's not forget that a very important part of the design is the black pocket at the front of the coat. We believe in well-regulated forms of technological progression. This means that you have to be reachable whenever and wherever you want to. The black pocket gives you this option.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

theflyingexecutive posted:

hey, man, it only works like a faraday cage. just like the word "metalliferous", it doesn't mean what it's implied to mean.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

theflyingexecutive posted:

wasn't there already a project like this a couple years back? i remember a kickstarted page with a dude in a silver "hoodie" that was just a hood and sleeves

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

anthonypants posted:

The Anti-Surveillance Coat is constructed of different layers of metalliferous fabrics that works like the principle of the Faraday cage. This means that every in- and outgoing signal will be blocked, keeping you and your data safe from radiation. It covers your complete body and falls all the way down to your legs. The design comes with a hood that allows you to be completely covered. Let's not forget that a very important part of the design is the black pocket at the front of the coat. We believe in well-regulated forms of technological progression. This means that you have to be reachable whenever and wherever you want to. The black pocket gives you this option.
how does it prevent signal from the face hole

and the feet holes

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
oh, and cctv cameras couldn't possibly recognize The One Dude Wearing The Metal Coat running around, so

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

JawnV6 posted:

oh, and cctv cameras couldn't possibly recognize The One Dude Wearing The Metal Coat running around, so
when i was in high school i heard that infrared leds messes with cameras but i've never seen anything that attempts to use that so i've never been sure how accurate that is, or if it only works under certain circumstances, like low ambient light or something

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSRm3x0KgJI
http://makezine.com/2008/06/28/ir-led-glasses-antipapara/

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

anthonypants posted:

when i was in high school i heard that infrared leds messes with cameras but i've never seen anything that attempts to use that so i've never been sure how accurate that is, or if it only works under certain circumstances, like low ambient light or something

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

anthonypants posted:

ccds in video security cameras are usually sensitive to near-infrared light, to the point where e.g. if you point a tv remote at the camera and press a button, the video will see a flashing strobe of light from the emitter.

wearing a ring of ultra bright infrared LEDs around your face, pointing forwards and scattering light in a cone, is a viable way to prevent that type of security camera from registering your face.

for tonight's homework: write a 2-page speculative paper on the foreseeable effects of wearing a bunch of homemade electronics and wires and battery packs and tinfoil on your head while walking into any place equipped with security cameras

e:

yep, like that. i personally think these things ("social defense mechanisms" is the technical term in the fart-smelling literature) are kind of cool to imagine, but the reality is that the system has plenty of social attack methods that can't be defeated with clever electronics and code, e.g. beating you with a wrench

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Oct 21, 2016

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

if you're interested in it, you can check out any of the work coming from the MIT media lab on social defense mechanisms, particularly the work that limor fried (ladyada of Adafruit) did while she was there. things like electrochromic sunglasses that auto-detect the sync pulse of a television and darken while you're looking at it, to prevent you from seeing it. or ipod-sized (absolutely illegal) broad-spectrum jammers to disable all cell phone connectivity in a bubble around you, for quiet. i think even the tv-b-gone was another early project from that group.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Sagebrush posted:

if you're interested in it, you can check out any of the work coming from the MIT media lab on social defense mechanisms, particularly the work that limor fried (ladyada of Adafruit) did while she was there. things like electrochromic sunglasses that auto-detect the sync pulse of a television and darken while you're looking at it, to prevent you from seeing it. or ipod-sized (absolutely illegal) broad-spectrum jammers to disable all cell phone connectivity in a bubble around you, for quiet. i think even the tv-b-gone was another early project from that group.

isnt tv b gone guy a noisebridger, i.e. on the other side of the country from mit?

to your other point, id imagine you could stealth some superbright leds into some glasses or something, maybe. not totally inconceivable, anyway. home diy stuff would look pretty obvious tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

it wouldn't work for trying to bypass cameras that were actively being monitored. they'd see the giant white blob and stop you. this would be for passively walking by cameras in public

• Locked thread