Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Phi230 posted:

Pretty sure the appeal of LOTR wasn't just the large scale battles

What is the appeal of the LOTR movies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Waffles Inc. posted:

i agree that shakespeare in love was the best movie of 1998

the LOTR movies are good fun and pretty rad but in what way are they better than the prequels? score? plotting? special effects? cinematography? performances?

i would posit that hayden christiansen and ian mcdiarmid put in better turns in the prequels than do, say, orlando bloom and john rhys davies in LOTR

also say what you want about the prequels but at no point are they ponderous in pace like ROTK is

i want to just put this out there that it couldn't possibly matter less which series is better and I don't care that much but I don't think the prequels should be dismissed in comparison in such a facile way

plot abso-loving-lutely

special effects abso-loving-lutely

cinematography absolutely (SHOT-REVERSE SHOT IS BAD BTW)

literally the only 2 people in the entire prequel series that give good acting are Ian Mcdiarmid and Ewan Mcgregor

dont you talk poo poo about my gimli. John Rhys Davies farting has more charisma and characterization than the entire Phantom Menace.

I mean, yeah, I agree Star Wars is better than LOTR but prequels are not star wars seeing as they contain nothing of what makes star wars STar Wars except in name only. No mysticism, no jungian hero archetypes, pulp adventure, 12 steps of a hero. There is only trade negotiations and SAND IS SANDY

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Schwarzwald posted:

epic adventure story of good and evil, the battles are subsidiary

same reason why the Original Trilogy is good.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Yeah, if I had to choose between rewatching all 3 Star Wars prequels or all 3 LOTR movies it'd be the prequels in a heartbeat. They're much more interesting, especially the production design.

theyre also shorter

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Yeah, if I had to choose between rewatching all 3 Star Wars prequels or all 3 LOTR movies it'd be the prequels in a heartbeat. They're much more interesting, especially the production design.

i really feel sad for you if you think the prequels are interesting. The world must be such a wondrous place

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Phi230 posted:

plot abso-loving-lutely

special effects abso-loving-lutely

cinematography absolutely (SHOT-REVERSE SHOT IS BAD BTW)

literally the only 2 people in the entire prequel series that give good acting are Ian Mcdiarmid and Ewan Mcgregor

dont you talk poo poo about my gimli. John Rhys Davies farting has more charisma and characterization than the entire Phantom Menace.

I mean, yeah, I agree Star Wars is better than LOTR but prequels are not star wars seeing as they contain nothing of what makes star wars STar Wars except in name only. No mysticism, no jungian hero archetypes, pulp adventure, 12 steps of a hero. There is only trade negotiations and SAND IS SANDY

You don't seem to have paid very much attention to the prequels.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Bongo Bill posted:

You don't seem to have paid very much attention to the prequels.

i did, and I really remember boring trade negotiations, and CGI that looked like cheap plastic

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Phi230 posted:

i did, and I really remember boring trade negotiations, and CGI that looked like cheap plastic

We can't stop special effects from aging, but there are fewer lines about trade negotiations in The Phantom Menace than there are about farming in A New Hope.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
The only thing people remember about Return of the King is being overly long and the "Scrubbing Bubble" ghosts.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Phi230 posted:

Nobody remembers the prequels except in a way to either bash them, which is the true way, or to try and defend them or otherwise say "theyre not bad!!!!"

So nobody remembers the prequels except for all the people who do remember them, and who either like them or don't like them. Astonishing insights from Tezzor this evening.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Phi230 posted:

epic adventure story of good and evil, the battles are subsidiary

same reason why the Original Trilogy is good.

Neither of those series are about good vs evil.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

computer parts posted:

The Hobbit films and the PT both take audience expectations into consideration. The difference is that the PT delivered a story that audiences definitely weren't expecting, while the Hobbit films made a story that audiences wanted and longed for.

Like really, the appeal of the LOTR films were special effects and large scale battles. The Hobbit films definitely provided that in spades.

The Hobbit movies took a story the fans wanted, watered it down to fit into 3 movies, made the story worse, and had worse special effects than the PT.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
looking at the behind the scenes stuff of The Hobbit you could tell Peter Jackson was just not into it like he was for LoTR

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Zeris fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Oct 22, 2016

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Freakazoid_ posted:

Orcs are twisted elves. They have a soul and it is elven. When they die, their soul waits in the same room as all the other elves. Just because they are evil, doesn't rob them of having a soul.

When a droid ceases to function, it's tossed in the garbage.

Is this serious?

Droids in Star Wars are basically just the underclass of society. Both trilogies involve a human protagonist that becomes part droid and in VII Rey regards BB-8 as an equal.

Real life even makes the "control ship" in the Phantom Menace seem more like the cloud server the droid army brains were run on, since they had ranks and gave each other orders, rather than some hive mind more common in sci-fi.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Cnut the Great posted:

Agreed. I definitely still like and enjoy all the LOTR movies, they're just not near the top of my list in any category and I'd rather just read the books.

And I can't speak for most of The Hobbit trilogy. I saw the first one and didn't really like it so I didn't bother with the rest. I think I may be violating the infamous contrarian CineD hivemind on that one? Oh well, hopefully I'll be fine. As long as I don't bring up the fact that I don't really believe in Death of the Author and think this banner is kind of obnoxious.

Star Wars has The Force Awakens. The Lord of the Rings has Willow. Willow features Val Kilmer playing a cross-dressing Aragorn. Point goes to...

The Lord of the Rings. The Lord of the rings has the better rip-offs.

(Everyone should watch Willow by the way. It's just delightful.)

I can watch Willow every year where as you couldn't pay me to sit through LOTR again.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Neither of those series are about good vs evil.

Alright I quit. This is the dumbest thing Ive read. Youre all too far gone and disconnected from reality.

How can you even think this. Like what

Serf
May 5, 2011

Phi230 posted:

Alright I quit. This is the dumbest thing Ive read. Youre all too far gone and disconnected from reality.

Tezzor, over the course of this thread I think one of the many things we've learned is that you are incapable of discussing movies.

You are wise to quit.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Phi230 posted:

loving chill mate, I think he's just saying that LOTR and SW have a lot more going on than just having simple "good vs. evil" narratives.

Why are you an inoffensive poster in C-SPAM but an obnoxious prick in this thread?

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I actually don't get the meme of bashing that poster ok maybe we don't need to dogpile to have an interesting discussion.

Star Wars will never be LotRs because those movies have infinite backstory while Star Wars grows its mythology from set design.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Phi230 posted:

There are no Trade Negotiations in the film. Sword fights happen before they could start and then they don't happen.

Have you never actually seen the movies and simply base your understanding of them on popular complaints from haters?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Spacebump posted:

The Hobbit movies took a story the fans wanted, watered it down to fit into 3 movies, made the story worse, and had worse special effects than the PT.

For the average person whose first experience with Tolkien was in 2001, the Hobbit films met and exceeded their expectations.

You'll find these people are more numerous than the "where's Tom Bombadil, this movie sucks" crowd.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
lmao jesus loving christ, this thread continues to hit new lows when we are now pretending the prequels are better then Lord of the Rings. Stay beautiful you special snowflakes.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Serf
May 5, 2011

I said come in! posted:

lmao jesus loving christ, this thread continues to hit new lows when we are now pretending the prequels are better then Lord of the Rings. Stay beautiful you special snowflakes.

I wouldn't say the prequels are better than LOTR. They're about equal in my eyes, but people saying the prequels are more watchable are definitely right. The LOTR movies extended cut sometimes become more ponderous than the books, which is really an achievement.

The Hobbit movies started strong but ended up as dogshit. The final hour of Battle of the Five Armies is wholly unwatchable.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

I said come in! posted:

I can't speak for anyone else but I am absolutely not pretending. This is what I mean when I say that I think it's to the detriment of both series to say one is better than the other with a hand-wave.

So, "I said come in!" why do you think the LOTR series is better than the Star War Prequels?

I offered some reasons why I think the opposite, but here's another reason I think so:

While some of the LOTR set-pieces are neat, they do tend to bleed together and seem same-y to me; none of the locales are as iconic as Kamino or Geonosis or the Gungan City on Naboo.

Lampsacus posted:

I actually don't get the meme of bashing that poster ok maybe we don't need to dogpile to have an interesting discussion.

Despite posting in the subforum for discussing movies, that Phi230/Tezzor doesn't actually have any interest in discussing films. Look at his overreaction to SMG saying that both Star Wars and LOTR are about more than "Good vs. Evil" and tell me with a straight face that he shouldn't be mocked

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The Hobbit 2 is the best Peter Jackson movie featuring one or more hobbits.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I said come in! posted:

The Eye of Star Wars Thread sees you. You will never make it across the plains to throw the ring of sincere posting into Mt. Prequel Debate.

Lucas the White beckons.

The ships are leaving for the EUndying lands to the West.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Lampsacus posted:

The Eye of Star Wars Thread sees you. You will never make it across the plains to throw the ring of sincere posting into Mt. Prequel Debate.

Lucas the White beckons.

The ships are leaving for the EUndying lands to the West.

if you want to talk about "memes" in this thread why don't we address the fact that a lot of people seem to think the prequel defense going on in this thread is ironic. it is not.

I, for one, actually am "sincere posting" about the prequels

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Whether its sincere or not, there is a contingent who defend it ironically. And some others have followed SMG down his rabbit hole, lubricated by smugness, where they have to read way too far into the scripts. It's astrology.

Then again, you did leave a full stop off the last sentence there so who knows how deep we are at this stage .

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Bongo Bill posted:

I'm not sure I can buy Star Wars as better than Lord of the Rings - have to give it some thought - but this

is evidence of popularity, not of quality.

Explain Birdman

Serf
May 5, 2011

Lampsacus posted:

Whether its sincere or not, there is a contingent who defend it ironically. And some others have followed SMG down his rabbit hole, lubricated by smugness, where they have to read way too far into the scripts. It's astrology.

Then again, you did leave a full stop off the last sentence there so who knows how deep we are at this stage .

Can you point out which posters are posting ironically? Also, who decides how far is "too far" when reading a script? I'm just curious as to whether or not there is some sort of international convention dealing with movie interpretations or if you're setting yourself up as the final authority.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The filmic qualities.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Lampsacus posted:

Who talks like this

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Lampsacus posted:

So anyone who likes the prequels is either:

- Being ironic
or
- A member of the cult of SMG?

You...you don't really think that do you? Like you don't really think that a whole thread of users are incapable of all liking the prequels and performing deep/interesting readings on their own, do you?

Also at what point has a piece of art been read into "too far"?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
I am influential.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

I am influential.

It's legit funny that a lot of people actually think this is true.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
I am controversial.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
I am gay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004