Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Looper
Mar 1, 2012

doing that little metroid proud

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

W-when is next mission Samus

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

W-when is next mission Samus

Give it another 12 years, I'm sure they'll come up with something

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the only speedrunning thing i've ever done is getting in the top 20 for rooftop run modern in sonic generations. i really like that level

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I can only speedrun racing games

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I've been trying real hard to get my Max Payne 3 record under 53 minutes, but I'm having a lot of trouble going that fast and also surviving.

I'm starting to learn that there are a number of fights in the game that you can straight-up just leave if you want. Almost all of the encounters in the game are structured as such: Max enters a room, there are a bunch of enemies in the room and one exit. There's a bunch of different ways to go through the room while also killing all the guys, but Max won't leave through the exit until you have done so. Sometimes, however, the designated exit is open and you can just zig-zag flop like a fish between all the enemies instead of killing them which saves a lot of time. It also looks very silly and entertaining.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1294935

quote:

Back then, Fig posted a chart that if in an investor invested $1,000, if Pyschonauts 2 sold 1.7M copies at an average wholesale price of $21 (a little under $30 retail), an investor would get back $1,000 for a profit of $800. http://siliconangle.com/blog/2015/12...psychonauts-2/

Considering Pyschonauts 1 had lifetime sales of 1.7M, and the majority of them were far under $30 (736k of these sales were when it was in a humble bundle, and many sales were when it was discounted to $1), this seemed risky, but still doable.

However, now that the offering has been approved by the SEC, I received an email I could finally make an investment. Prior to making the investment, I reviewed the SEC offering document :

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1658966/000121390016017011/f1a1215a5_figpublishing.htm

The terms are completely different, and based on the terms of the offering agreement, if someone invests $1,000, Pyschonauts 2 will need to sell over 2 million copies at a retail price of $60 before that investor will even receive their initial investment yet (without any profit). This means selling over 300,000 more copies than Psychonauts 1 and all at a retail price of $60, just to get your initial investment back. Seems completely impossible.

Someone on reddit also did the math:
https://www.reddit.com/r/DOUBLEFINE/comments/556q28/a_look_at_figs_psychonauts_2_investment/

TLDR: Pyschonauts 2 on fig was advertised as needing to sell 1.7M copies at a wholesale price of $21 for investors to get an 80% return.

Now that people can actually invest, the terms have changed and it needs to sell over 2M copies at a retail price of $60 for investors to get a 0% return.

Psychonauts 1 has lifetime sales of 1.7M. 736k were when it was in a humble bundle and many more were when it was sold for $1.
Boy that sure sounds terrible.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

lol if you gave Tim Schafer any money at all

doubly so if you considered it an investment

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

thats not an 'investment', thats a donation

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Hey yo I tell you what, this Dragon Quest Builders game is pretty loving tight, I just wanted to say thanks a bunch random chat thread I read drunk at 2am.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

it really rules. also grats on that falling down av.

gently caress yes!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Falling Down is the original Grand Theft Auto game.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Squiggle posted:

Hey yo I tell you what, this Dragon Quest Builders game is pretty loving tight, I just wanted to say thanks a bunch random chat thread I read drunk at 2am.

Hell yeah it is.

Man I missed out on oddium declaring hatred for burritos and soft tacos as their hill to die on.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
there's still no wii u thread so I'd like to reiterate that Color Splash is good

I've definitely seen some elements I'm not a fan of but on the whole it's a well crafted game

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

my video game youtube got its first ContentID hit for a non-HOG game. the marvellous miss take, apparently they used music from CDBaby. at least the way Youtube does contentID now, you dont get strikes anymore for most music that gets flagged, they just flip the video's ads over to the copyright owner

i should have figured though because the music in that game is all like authentic jazz, latin jazz, afrobeat, etc, and even Nintendo only puts together a real band that big for their one biggest project out of the year

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

CJacobs posted:

Sometimes, however, the designated exit is open and you can just zig-zag flop like a fish between all the enemies instead of killing them which saves a lot of time. It also looks very silly and entertaining.
This sounds hilarious and non-stop slow-mo diving should really be a valid way to finish the game.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

evangelion congratulations etc

Bicyclops posted:

Falling Down is the original Grand Theft Auto game.

I'm not sure I follow, it feels politically opposite of those gta games that it isn't tonally opposite of (4 is the one I'm thinking of the most)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The real opposite of Falling Down is Saint's Row 2.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

A few times I got into the top-100 on stages in Dirt Rally. Hell, one time I even got into the top-50. Unfortunately times got wiped about a month ago, so I can't even show off. :(

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I guess my impressive video game thing was getting the platinum trophy in super meat boy

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

wizard on a water slide posted:

I'm not sure I follow, it feels politically opposite of those gta games that it isn't tonally opposite of (4 is the one I'm thinking of the most)

It's about a guy going on a rampage in a city with a growing arsenal of weapons, even if the movie is about how messed up the dude is it superficially resembles GTA.

Regardless, it's a kickass movie.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i think it's neat that gta3 forward all have a character that turns to the camera and says "now is the time, for falling down". kind of pulls you out of the scene like the wilhelm scream but oh well

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
D-FENS

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
oh, westworld is a really good show that has scenarios and characters that probably make particular sense or are relateable to gamers and game designers and everybody itt should be watching it

even if it didn't, it's a gorgeous and intriguing show so far so

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
a buddy of mine pointed out that ed harris is basically one of those souls dudes who reads every item description and compares them to their japanese versions, combs the game's source code for deleted content, and hacks dummied items in to gently caress with newbies

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
https://twitter.com/rockstargames/status/788001608827281408

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I still maintain this is Bully 2. The premise is that now the school has gone on a field trip.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Midnight Riders Club

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Do we start fantasy soundtrack suggestions for Red Dead Retribution yet?

I want "The Last Pale Light in the West"

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

lol if you gave Tim Schafer any money at all

doubly so if you considered it an investment

Well we are in an age where people use phrases like "invest in a kickstarter" so

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

"Rockstar Presents: Red Dead Resurrection, the new Free To Play MOBA"

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

You can't invest in Kickstarter tho because you don't get any money back in return. If you're really lucky you'll actually get what you paid for. Kickstarter is where bad idea's go to scam people who do not know better. If a game publisher wouldn't fund that game then you should probably ask yourself why you would want to do the same.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

the red dead retribution announcement is my game of the month

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Red dead rebellion/reloaded/repeater

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Red Dead Revelations

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I said come in! posted:

You can't invest in Kickstarter tho because you don't get any money back in return. If you're really lucky you'll actually get what you paid for. Kickstarter is where bad idea's go to scam people who do not know better. If a game publisher wouldn't fund that game then you should probably ask yourself why you would want to do the same.

Good, so you get the point I was making re: "investing" in something from Tim Schaefer

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

check this out: red dead redemption -> "rad dad redemption"

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
If it's Red Dead Remastered and they don't announce a PC port I'm flying over to Rockstar HQ and burning the loving place down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Red Dead Revengeance

• Locked thread