Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Grittybeard posted:

I'm more interested in Sonny Dykes, like, is he assuming Dykes will be fired or does he think Purdue can poach a head coach from a P5 school?

If he leaves it's gonna be for Baylor.

wernox posted:

I can say this much, there have been quite a few Purdue coaches in my 47 years on this earth. I was really excited when they hired Hazell and I remember thinking that Joe Tiller was the worst hire in the history of the school the night they lost to Toledo in his opening game as head coach....I will let the experts do their job, I'm just glad Morgan Burke and his incredible, intergalactic hard-on for all things Ohio State won't be the driving force behind the search.
Welll.....
https://twitter.com/danwolken/status/787737122652430336

The only guy on either staff who seems even remotely like a candidate for a head job is Schiano but perhaps they were very impressed with Fickell's 6-6 interim season

I would hire Jeff Brohm but I feel like anyone who has read any of my posts knows that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Purdue elevated WR Coach/Recruiting Coordinator Gerad (not Gerald) Parker to interim.

Had my fingers crossed they'd give it to the DC, Ross Els, who was our LB coach in the last few years of the Pelini era, and may be the worst position coach I can recall us having since the 90s (Purdue comes to Lincoln this Saturday)

C. Everett Koop posted:

Purdue isn't a job anyone with big-time aspirations is going to take. Fleck can do better, as can Les Miles. I think Dykes has settled his beef with Cal but who knows. Lane also isn't taking that job, and Taggart/Brohm can hold out for a better gig.

Like I said, I think he had those names ready to plug into any open P5 job. Probably should update it, too; I don't think Mark Hudspeth is a particularly hot name anymore.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
I think Mike Stoops would be a great coach for Purdue.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
A top tweet from Pete DiPrimio of the Fort Wayne News-Sentinel

https://twitter.com/pdiprimio/status/787776034175410177

Akers was at Purdue from 1987 to 1990, but I guess yeah, be careful what you wish for or something

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Les doesn't seem the coach to get more with less, so... I think he'd be awful at Purdue.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Please please take Luke Fickell, Purdue.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
Darrell Hazell's tenure at Purdue makes Danny Hope look like Nick Saban. That was a Kansas-esque putrid four-year stretch. I can't imagine how Purdue rebounds from that - that four years did like a decade worth of damage... at least pre-Hazell Purdue could beat it's rival and put together some bowl appearances. The only upside is that there's a new AD, new facilities coming, and Purdue is in one of the weaker FBS divisions.

quote:

Hazell’s hire was an absolute abomination. He was the worst coach in Purdue history. In fact, his tenure will go down as one of the worst in the history of the Big Ten—and arguably the most disastrous since Rick Venturi’s went 1-31-1 at Northwestern from 1978-80.

jesus christ

an adult beverage fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Oct 16, 2016

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

I gave up my OG title for this.

MourningView posted:

If he leaves it's gonna be for Baylor.

Welll.....
https://twitter.com/danwolken/status/787737122652430336

The only guy on either staff who seems even remotely like a candidate for a head job is Schiano but perhaps they were very impressed with Fickell's 6-6 interim season

I would hire Jeff Brohm but I feel like anyone who has read any of my posts knows that.

I'm just gonna guess that is based on Burke-ism....but Burke also said "firing a coach mid-season is the most unprofessional thing you can do." I'm guessing in we're in non-Burke territory.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

wildcats, bitch

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Taggart would probably be a decent hire, and a step in every coach in the Big 10 being connected to Meyer/Harbaugh and every coach in the SEC Saban

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

rare Magic card l00k posted:

Please please take Luke Fickell, Purdue.

No, please hire Warriner and Beck to be co-HCs.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Taggart would probably be a decent hire, and a step in every coach in the Big 10 being connected to Meyer/Harbaugh and every coach in the SEC Saban

He'd be a great hire which means he can probably do a lot better than purdue

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
I'll work on updating the OP this week. I've been slacking.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

What are some names in FBS that could get some looks to move up to a lower tier P5 school. Purdue could hire someone from the lower division. I think they need someone who can run a spread offense with middling talent, like NW or Indiana.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

MourningView posted:

He'd be a great hire which means he can probably do a lot better than purdue

Well yeah, my probably was more 'who the hell would work out at Purdue?' than anything else

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Is Jim Tressel doing anything these days or is he still show-caused for eternity?

Do it Purdue

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Is Jim Tressel doing anything these days or is he still show-caused for eternity?

Do it Purdue
Ends like in December.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Do it Purdue

He is literally president of Youngstown State

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Bo Pelini would be really, really fun at purdue

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Raku posted:

Bo Pelini would be really, really angry at purdue

punched my v-card at camp
Sep 4, 2008

Broken and smokin' where the infrared deer plunge in the digital snake
Pelini would be a great hire on paper, but I don't know how his personality would work with an administration that by all accounts is dedicated to spending the least amount of money possible on football.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Purdue could consider a slightly used Paul Rhoads.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004
I can't believe that you're all overlooking the most Purdue available candidates. I assume they'll hire Chan Gailey, Ty Willingham, or Charlie Weis. I'd throw in Wanny, but he's too good for them.

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD
I'm gonna suggest an Indiana man Cam Cameron who helped Indiana reach a 5 win season TWICE as head coach

Also he had a really bad record as a NFL coach for the Dolphins just like another very successful college coach

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
I didn't realize Brock Spack was Tiller's DC at Purdue, and an alum.

Illinois State is 2-4 this year, but went 23-5 the past two seasons.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Spack lucked into a QB transfer who was way too good to be playing FCS for his two big years, otherwise he's been pretty whatever. If you're gonna go to that level there are lots of guys with a better overall resumes just in the Missouri Valley.

On the other hand he would restore Purdue's proud mustache culture

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Real Name Grover posted:

I didn't realize Brock Spack was Tiller's DC at Purdue, and an alum.

Illinois State is 2-4 this year, but went 23-5 the past two seasons.

Also one of their wins was against Northwestern

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
I don't think Pelini is ready to leave home again. He's still probably enjoying the (relative) lack of spotlight.

MourningView posted:

Spack lucked into a QB transfer who was way too good to be playing FCS for his two big years, otherwise he's been pretty whatever. If you're gonna go to that level there are lots of guys with a better overall resumes just in the Missouri Valley.

On the other hand he would restore Purdue's proud mustache culture

This can't be overstated

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Komet posted:

What are some names in FBS that could get some looks to move up to a lower tier P5 school. Purdue could hire someone from the lower division. I think they need someone who can run a spread offense with middling talent, like NW or Indiana.

What is Bob Stitt up to these days?

Real talk, what about the North Dakota State guy?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Regnevelc posted:

What is Bob Stitt up to these days?

He's at Montana. Went 8-5 last year, currently 4-1.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Regnevelc posted:

Real talk, what about the North Dakota State guy?

You've got to be really leery of the guys whose head coaching accomplishments have mainly come from maintaining someone else's program.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

General Dog posted:

Seems like hiring Harsin would just be like hiring a poor man's Helfrich. He's another relatively unproven caretaker of somebody else's program.

He and Major were averaging like 35+ points a game with David Ash and Case McCoy. That's pretty impressive.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

General Dog posted:

You've got to be really leery of the guys whose head coaching accomplishments have mainly come from maintaining someone else's program.

I don't know the background of that guy - but if he is just maintaining the old guys status quo and it's only been a couple of years, then yeah, I'd agree.

If he has been doing it for 4-5, then he should get a look.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Regnevelc posted:

I don't know the background of that guy - but if he is just maintaining the old guys status quo and it's only been a couple of years, then yeah, I'd agree.

If he has been doing it for 4-5, then he should get a look.

This will be his third. He's kept them at a very high level but when he got the job they'd already won 3 titles in a row. Craig Bohl (now at Wyoming) was the guy who really took them to the next level

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
I probably could have looked that up, thanks for the info!

My FB feed is all about Miles/Fleck from my Purdue fan friends and I just don't think those are realistic options.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Regnevelc posted:

I probably could have looked that up, thanks for the info!

My FB feed is all about Miles/Fleck from my Purdue fan friends and I just don't think those are realistic options.

Can Miles recruit at an elite level at any P5, or just while owning Louisiana? If the former, they could do worse.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

LLCoolJD posted:

Can Miles recruit at an elite level at any P5, or just while owning Louisiana? If the former, they could do worse.

Purdue is the 4th option in Indiana behind Notre Dame, Ohio State and Michigan. If Miles can bring up some of the mid to high 3 stars from the schools he has inroads with down South then he may be able to boost Purdue a bit.

Purdue just has no name anymore in the realm of college football, the Tiller years are far far far gone.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah I wouldn't want to be the next guy into Purdue, if I wanted to go to purdue (god that's a weird phrase to say) I'd want to go after someone else managed to get them stable

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

ISU always seems to pull of coaching hires that at least look good at first, and Purdue has more money, so they can probably find someone decent enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Bird in a Blender posted:

ISU always seems to pull of coaching hires that at least look good at first, and Purdue has more money, so they can probably find someone decent enough.

Do they pay their assistants now?

• Locked thread