Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

pizzadog posted:

For seemingly mild separation anxiety, I'd do crate training from scratch, playing crate games, letting her get to know the crate as a safe space of comfort, not forcing her to stay in that until she goes to lay in it by herself to rest when she's comfortable. It may help her to have a den like space especially if you cover it with a blanket, but she can see out the front to see what's going on in the house. You can also just do an expen in the house in a good area if you have that and she can't reasonably get over the expen walls.

She'd need the crate. She's a pretty big girl. It's one reason I just wanted her to have the whole room, since I could. Down side is she can't see what's going on. I could put up a baby gate but she wouldn't be able to see the living room.

She's being pretty chill tonight. I think she's catching on that I'm going to keep coming back and keep feeding her. She's getting better with the cats already. I think I'm more stressed than the dog or the cats.

I need to start making actual lists on paper for what I need to talk to my vet and the trainer about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

GoodBee posted:

I am a dipshit who adopted an adult shelter dog today.

She's spayed, up to date on shots, walks well on a leash, other cool stuff. I've got her wellness exam scheduled. We're signed up for the next obedience class that starts in about a week and a half, with the trainer recommended by the shelter.

I've got two cats so the shelter did a cat test where they brought her into the room with a whole bunch of cats wandering around. She paid absolutely no attention to any of the cats in that room, even when one swatted her tail.

She was doing a pretty good job ignoring my cats for a while after we got home, until I fed her dinner and my orange rear end in a top hat cat shoved his stupid face in her bowl, then she barked at him. She was doing well rocking out on the couch next to me and watching the cats, but my black cat wanted to jump up next to her and hiss, then smack her in the face when she got barked at. I don't think she barked again after the smack but she did growl at the black cat when the cat sat in the middle of the room and glared.

Dog's got her own bedroom so that's where she is now. There has been a little bit of intermittent quiet whining. It took about a minute of putting her to bed before cats reclaimed the rest of the house and my lap.

She spent a little while in her room while I took a shower and she did fine but she seemed ridiculously happy to see me after only being by herself for 15 minutes or so.

I gave her a bath and she wasn't thrilled with it but was tolerant. I don't I did a very good job though so we might try again tomorrow.

I think I've got the situation under a reasonable amount of control but I am a dipshit who has never owned a dog before. I don't really have any questions but if I say something incredibly stupid, please let me know.

I think the biggest thing I want to avoid is advice from people with dogs that I think are terrible or annoying.

Go up to the OP and read the portion about introducing a new dog to a house with an existing dog. Then work to adapt that situation to your dog and cats. I'd be concerned that you're moving too fast and possibly setting your new dog up to fail by allowing too much interaction with the cats while it's still trying to adjust to its new home. I might set up a pen in a common area so you're not isolating your dog, but there's a barrier between it and your cats. Feed separately, and make sure everyone has lots and lots of room while the stress of the relocation wears itself out. This may take some weeks or months, even, for your dog to fully show its personality in its new home.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
So early this morning some drunk rear end in a top hat managed to take out like 4 utility poles across the street from my house, I'm still baffled as to how but it means I have had no air conditioning since 2AM and won't until at least 6PM.

I feel like this is the dumbest question in the world because some dogs live outside all the time but should I be worried about them overheating? My house just hit 81 so I am concerned it will get to the low 90s, perhaps even hotter by the time power is restored. I left extra water with ice in it.

Again, feels like the dumbest question but the pups have never spent this much time in this much heat and sometimes during the summer they need to take a break from long walks because of the heat, they normally want to come in from the patio after a few minutes because of the heat that is milder than this but no idea if that is just what they want or if they actually feel like they are overheating.

And yes, I asked my vet and got a very non-committal answer of that they should be fine but watch for any odd behavior and wouldn't really commit to a temperature range that I should be concerned at.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Oct 17, 2016

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

a life less posted:

Go up to the OP and read the portion about introducing a new dog to a house with an existing dog. Then work to adapt that situation to your dog and cats. I'd be concerned that you're moving too fast and possibly setting your new dog up to fail by allowing too much interaction with the cats while it's still trying to adjust to its new home. I might set up a pen in a common area so you're not isolating your dog, but there's a barrier between it and your cats. Feed separately, and make sure everyone has lots and lots of room while the stress of the relocation wears itself out. This may take some weeks or months, even, for your dog to fully show its personality in its new home.

Thanks for the suggestion. I kind of skimmed that part of the OP before I posted but didn't know how to apply it.

Everyone was being weirdly chill this morning. Cats stayed curled up on one end of the couch while the dog ate her breakfast and were still there when we got back from our walk. The dog jumped up on the other end of the couch and curled up. Then I sat in the middle and petted everyone while I drank my coffee. Then the dog went in her room and I went to work. We'll see how this afternoon goes.

I'm trying not to force it but cats are weird. The black cat still kind of hates the orange cat half the time and they've lived together for 11 years now.

Unrelated to cats but it's kind of an unusual (to me anyway) thing. The dog doesn't want to go through doors unless I go first. It's probably a good thing, I've just never met a dog that does that. She will stand on the threshold, in my way, and I have to go around her. Is that something I should ask the trainer about?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

So I got a call earlier today while at work, apparently my dog was having trouble standing. I rushed home not knowing if he just had a dead leg, or was at death's door, or what. Turns out it was much close to the latter :( he was listless, head lolling to one side, eyes constantly moving side to side.

Took him straight to the vet. They said he's either had a stroke, or he has some condition that is a bit like vertigo (but not really). They took blood tests, and were amazed at how otherwise healthy he is for his age (coming up on 16 years old). He's had a steroid injection, which apparently takes about a day to have much effect. If it was the vertigo-like thing, he should recover quite well but if it's a stroke he may not at all, and we'll have to say goodbye :smith:

I will miss this li'l dude bothering me while I try to work

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Three Olives posted:

So early this morning some drunk rear end in a top hat managed to take out like 4 utility poles across the street from my house, I'm still baffled as to how but it means I have had no air conditioning since 2AM and won't until at least 6PM.

I feel like this is the dumbest question in the world because some dogs live outside all the time but should I be worried about them overheating? My house just hit 81 so I am concerned it will get to the low 90s, perhaps even hotter by the time power is restored. I left extra water with ice in it.

Again, feels like the dumbest question but the pups have never spent this much time in this much heat and sometimes during the summer they need to take a break from long walks because of the heat, they normally want to come in from the patio after a few minutes because of the head that is milder than this but no idea if that is just what they want or if they actually feel like they are overheating.

And yes, I asked my vet and got a very non-committal answer of that they should be fine but watch for any odd behavior and wouldn't really commit to a temperature range that I should be concerned at.

Your dogs will probably be pretty warm, mine would be, when its over 80 outside it's usually over 80 inside and they're panting. If you have no fans, i'd open windows to get a wind tunnel/draft through. And put out wet towels in shady cool places such as their crates, or make the cool tile rooms like the kitchen and bathroom available if they aren't. Providing the ice water is a good idea. If they're in shade and not exerting themselves, they should be okay as long as they are sensible enough to self regulate and drink water.

pizzadog fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Oct 17, 2016

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

The fan for the air conditioner is running there is just no cold water to cool the temperature down. Also my windows don't open so there is no way to get a cross breeze.

I thought about leaving the balcony door open but its pretty hot today and I normally keep my house under 70 so I figured leaving it open would do more harm than good since my place is fairly well insulated.

My house is all tile and there is plenty of shaded space for them. Wish I thought of the towel idea this morning. I'm not home but I'm keeping an eye on my Nest.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Oct 17, 2016

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me

GoodBee posted:

Cats are assholes. I'm going to try to get them to interact or anything. Today, dog just wants to lie next to me on the couch and watch some Netflix. Cats are walking around doing cats stuff and we're going to ignore them.

I hear this is fairly common with shelter dogs. I'll bring it up with the trainer.

Now, she doesn't seem too fond of being alone in her room. I put her to bed last night and she started whining and barking a little after about an hour. I did go check on her and turned off all the lights. After that, she did pretty good all night. I woke up early to give her breakfast and a short walk this morning, like I would do on a work day. Then I put her back in her room and went back to sleep for a bit. She'd bark for a few minutes ever hour or hour and a half.

I don't know which would be worse in the short term, continue putting her in her room and have her bark because she's lonely, or getting her a crate and have her bark at the cats because they are assholes. I could get a crate today and see how she does with it. Is the worse that could probably happen is I have a crate I don't use?

Most dogs, when introduced properly, do really well with crates, so there's no harm in trying. Especially because a bored dog in an empty room can cause a lot of damage(obviously a dog in a crate can as well, as Warbird can attest, but if they do well in their crate than it could be less of an issue). A lot of people dont even close them and the dog will go there on its own, its like it's own bedroom. Also as I have mentioned before, another reason to get your dog comfortable with a crate is in case of vet visits. A dog taken to the vet who *has* to be crated and has never experienced it before will make itself and the staff miserable, possibly while also hurting itself more. It's also handy in case the dog ever injures itself and its important to keep them as still as possible during recovery. Are you leaving them with a safe chew when you leave? A kong stuffed with FB that is then frozen generally goes over well. Makes them learn that you leaving is equated with Good Things. Depending on how your dog is chewing wise, a bone could be an option as well, but as you dont really know this dog that well yet I wouldn't risk leaving it unsupervised with one yet until you're sure they wont just devour the whole thing.

As far as the cat thing goes, I would just say keep on introducing slowly. Definitely keep feeding separate, which is another thing you can do when they're in their crate to make them love it if they're a food motivated dog.

Do the cats have lots of high areas to get away from the dog? In my experience that can go a long way to making the cats feel more comfortable. My two cents since I'm currently dealing with this introduction process, giving them spaces the dog couldn't get to them helped the cat hate him less. Cat trees, baby gates, and cat shelves are good options. Fwiw the shelves stupid easy to make, literally just a shelf with carpet on it, if you or someone you know are the handy type it'll save you a lot of money vs ordering it online.

With the husky now, who is only of moderate drive, the BF's cat has a medium height cat tree and sleeps on the dresser on the other side of the room. What I've done to ease their tensions (idiot dog wants to be besties, cat is older and full of hate), is teaching a solid leave it, often tied with a Down command, and/or redirecting to a bone or toy. When he rarely gets especially enthusiastic, I take him outside for a break/potty or otherwise, and it seems to reset him to ignoring her.

Sounds like your dog isn't particularly interested in the cats so maybe it'll end up in a similar situation with time where they tolerate each others existence. so tldr: feed separate, give cats high spaces to get away, teach solid leave it and get good at redirection imo. We've gone from the crotchety old lady hissing and swinging on him for him just existing in her eyesight to when he sniffs her she mostly ignores him(we give him a sniff and then call him away btw, and praise him for Leaving The Thing Alone). She even sniffs him sometimes.

Anyways all this is happening in just one bedroom since we share a house with a few others, so with a house big enough you can spare a room for a dog your management should be easier.

Hope that helps!

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Lots of good stuff. Thanks!

Psychobabble! posted:

Most dogs, when introduced properly, do really well with crates, so there's no harm in trying.

Those are all really good points. I'm sold. I am going to buy or order a crate after we go to the vet and have our first session with the trainer. I'd like to get a couple of opinions on what size to get from people who can actually see the dog in person.

quote:

Are you leaving them with a safe chew when you leave? A kong stuffed with FB that is then frozen generally goes over well.

She doesn't seem too interested in chewing. My friend got her a pig's ear, since that's what she brings for her bosses German Shepherd. She wasn't interested. She licked it a couple of times and then looked at my like I lied to her about getting a treat. Then I got her one of those stuffing free dog toys. She sniffed it, then licked it a few times, then she booped it's nose with her nose. Then she did it again. It was cute.

I think she'd probably like a toy she can lick or one of those food puzzle toys. Any good suggestions on those?

quote:

Do the cats have lots of high areas to get away from the dog?

I've always kind of wanted to put up some cat shelves. Now they would have a practical purpose. I've got access to a wood shop and the tools, I just need to make some time one weekend.

The cats seem completely comfortable. They just seem to want to gently caress with dog. We all went outside together as a group today and the cats walked in and out of the house, calmly, near the dog who was leashed.

quote:

With the husky now, who is only of moderate drive, the BF's cat has a medium height cat tree and sleeps on the dresser on the other side of the room. What I've done to ease their tensions (idiot dog wants to be besties, cat is older and full of hate), is teaching a solid leave it, often tied with a Down command, and/or redirecting to a bone or toy. When he rarely gets especially enthusiastic, I take him outside for a break/potty or otherwise, and it seems to reset him to ignoring her.

Sounds like your dog isn't particularly interested in the cats so maybe it'll end up in a similar situation with time where they tolerate each others existence.

I think she just wants to be a big, lazy couch potato for the most part. If she looks like she's giving one of the cats too much attention, I'll just pet her and gently tell her to calm down and she will. We haven't been to class yet so we don't really know down yet.

quote:

(we give him a sniff and then call him away btw, and praise him for Leaving The Thing Alone).

Cool. Maybe we can work up to a sniff in a couple of weeks/month or so. She's been getting praised when she goes from alert at a cat to relaxed.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Update:

Puppers were fine, they didn't even need the extra water. Temperature peaked at 81. I am loving miserable because I keep my house at 70 but they seem fine with the situation.

Also I am a loving idiot because I forgot that I have a shitload of ice packs from Amazon Fresh in my freezer that I probably should have stuck in their beds.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Oct 18, 2016

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Most people I know tend to go with wire crates over airporters(aka the ones that are wire all around vs the plastic solid top and bottom ones with holes), but it depends a lot on the dog and personal preference. I like wire crates because they're easier to transport as they collapse flat. I've known dogs when I worked in a daycare that would lose their drat minds if they were in an airporter but were fine in a wire crate, and vise versa :iiam:. I also liked that there was better floor area with wire crates vs airporters, which tend to come up at a slope from the base. That's just my preference though.

Your mileage may vary but my dude didn't understand toys or treats at ALL when we first got him. We'd offer him a stuffed kong or meaty dog bone and he would do the "lick it then look at you forlornly" thing. Same with being disinterested in cats, squirrels, etc. We would try to play with him and he'd just ":confused:" at us. Now, 6 months or so later, he loves bones. He still doesn't destroy them like some dogs will, he likes them enough to search for his when bored. He'll give a bumbly run after squirrels, woo's at us when excited, and finally "gets" toys. What I'm saying is that as your dog gets comfier and more settled it's attitude may change. Especially for your cats, its best to lay the foundation for what is okay now, rather than have to deal with it later.

I don't think you mentioned, but what is the suspected kind of dog? And why haven't you posted pictures? Hella rude.

Glad your dog's made it Three Olives, and St Evan Echoes, that blows so hard :(

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Psychobabble! posted:

I don't think you mentioned, but what is the suspected kind of dog? And why haven't you posted pictures? Hella rude.

She's brindle and definitely a hound. The shelter listed her as a Plott Hound, which I had never heard of but googled before I met her. She does meet the physical description spot on but who knows. She's about 21-22 inches at the shoulder and weighs around 50 lbs.

I actually hadn't taken any photos yet. Here's her right now, looking annoyed at having a photo taken.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

GoodBee posted:

She doesn't seem too interested in chewing. My friend got her a pig's ear, since that's what she brings for her bosses German Shepherd. She wasn't interested. She licked it a couple of times and then looked at my like I lied to her about getting a treat. Then I got her one of those stuffing free dog toys. She sniffed it, then licked it a few times, then she booped it's nose with her nose. Then she did it again. It was cute.

I think she'd probably like a toy she can lick or one of those food puzzle toys. Any good suggestions on those?

A frozen kong stuffed with peanut butter should work on most dogs.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Psychobabble! posted:

Glad your dog's made it Three Olives, and St Evan Echoes, that blows so hard :(
Thanks buddy

He had a rough night. He peed in his bed a few times because he couldn't get up by himself, and he didn't realise that us taking him outside and supporting him in a standing position = pee time. Also the dizziness he got from standing made him really upset so we didn't want to hold him there all night either.

Back to the vet this morning and we'll just follow their advice, whatever that may be. It'll almost be relief if they recommend putting him to sleep, because watching him suffer the last 16 hours has been unbearable :(

amotea
Mar 23, 2008
Grimey Drawer
I'm in the process of buying a Bernese Mountain Dog puppy from a breeder, but something went wrong with the puppies' coats a few days before they should have gone to their owners :(.

When I went over last Wednesday they looked OK, but when I was there again last Saturday 9 of the 10 puppies had about 3-6 circular spots with less hair. The skin seemed fine, not red, no flakes, no scratching, no blood etc. The only puppy without problems was the one that has a different type of coat, less curly and fluffy than the others.

The owners had already taken them to their own vet and to a regional clinic/hospital, the doctors said it wasn't anything obvious like Demodex and that they hadn't really seen anything like this before. They scraped 2 dogs for blood tests, these will take about 10 days.

I already spoke to another breeder who has been doing this for 30 years and she didn't know what it could be either if it isn't Demodex.

Have any of you ever seen this? I'm really worried it's something vague/serious. Maybe it has something to do with the 2nd vaccine?

Edit: both parent dogs are healthy and were approved for breeding by the national Bernese Mountain Dog association. The father is a champion that has won loads of prizes. Liver shunt tests were also OK.

Edit 2: all 10 dogs looked healthy and lively, apart from their coats. Mother dog has no coat problems that I could see.

amotea fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Oct 18, 2016

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Any hot tips on getting the stuff inside it that doesn't involve me making a mess? The pooch's one is one of the smaller ones, so that doesn't help.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Warbird posted:

Any hot tips on getting the stuff inside it that doesn't involve me making a mess? The pooch's one is one of the smaller ones, so that doesn't help.

butter knife or teaspoon... something small like that.

Sekhmet
Nov 16, 2001

Three Olives posted:

Again, feels like the dumbest question but the pups have never spent this much time in this much heat and sometimes during the summer they need to take a break from long walks because of the heat, they normally want to come in from the patio after a few minutes because of the heat that is milder than this but no idea if that is just what they want or if they actually feel like they are overheating.

I've actually seen a bulldog have heatstroke from being in a house in Los Angeles in June where the a/c went out during the day when the owners were at work. Talk about a nightmare. But it was a bulldog, so ymmv with a breed with a proper face.

Sekhmet
Nov 16, 2001

St Evan Echoes posted:

So I got a call earlier today while at work, apparently my dog was having trouble standing. I rushed home not knowing if he just had a dead leg, or was at death's door, or what. Turns out it was much close to the latter :( he was listless, head lolling to one side, eyes constantly moving side to side.

Took him straight to the vet. They said he's either had a stroke, or he has some condition that is a bit like vertigo (but not really). They took blood tests, and were amazed at how otherwise healthy he is for his age (coming up on 16 years old). He's had a steroid injection, which apparently takes about a day to have much effect. If it was the vertigo-like thing, he should recover quite well but if it's a stroke he may not at all, and we'll have to say goodbye :smith:

I will miss this li'l dude bothering me while I try to work

If it was a stroke he'll probably recover too. Honestly the odds are quite good that your dog will recover from this okay. The more scary things like a brain tumor usually don't come on quite so quickly and he's on the older side to have infectious or inflammatory brain disease. It will be TIME that does it though, not the steroid injection (neither old dog vestibular disease nor a stroke will really be helped by steroids) so don't be discouraged if it takes a little bit longer than a couple days. As long as he gets better and not worse, that's a good sign.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

St Evan Echoes posted:

Thanks buddy

He had a rough night. He peed in his bed a few times because he couldn't get up by himself, and he didn't realise that us taking him outside and supporting him in a standing position = pee time. Also the dizziness he got from standing made him really upset so we didn't want to hold him there all night either.

Back to the vet this morning and we'll just follow their advice, whatever that may be. It'll almost be relief if they recommend putting him to sleep, because watching him suffer the last 16 hours has been unbearable :(

Crossing my fingers for you and the old guy today. Hope there's relief either way. Give him a pet from us, he looks like he deserves it.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Thanks for the good wishes people

Unfortunately the vet thought he was worse if anything than the previous day, with worse reflexes and dizziness. She gave us the option of another steroid injection and another 24 hours to see if he improves, or to put him to sleep.

We chose the latter, and the vet agreed it was the right choice to make. At 16 years old, mostly deaf and half blind already, anything less than a full recovery would have made him a shell of the dog we knew and loved, and we just weren't prepared to put him through more misery.

I already miss the little dude so much, and the couch feels empty without him stumbling over my girlfriend and me to find the best nap spot :smith:

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Sekhmet posted:

I've actually seen a bulldog have heatstroke from being in a house in Los Angeles in June where the a/c went out during the day when the owners were at work. Talk about a nightmare. But it was a bulldog, so ymmv with a breed with a proper face.

Yeah, actually the vet specifically asked me if it was a bulldog because then they would be concerned.One of my neighbors has two bulldogs and I honestly feel bad when I see them because they look loving miserable just having to take the elevator to go outside.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I hope this thread doesn't mind stupid questions. This is helping me organize my thoughts so I can actually ask the vet and the trainer intelligent questions.

Crate question:
I'm having a hard time figuring out what size crate my dog needs. I've found a couple of different methods of measuring a dog for a crate and she either needs a 36/L or a 42/XL crate. I don't want to go too big or too small. Any suggestions?

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Sound like a plan.

Am I going to make my dog crazy if I mix up some of her dry food with peanut butter and shove it in the kong? I was thinking I might give her a smaller dinner and give her the rest in the kong at bed time.

Kluliss
Mar 6, 2011

Cake, is it a drug, or is it simply a delicious chocolatey piece of heaven?

GoodBee posted:

Am I going to make my dog crazy if I mix up some of her dry food with peanut butter and shove it in the kong? I was thinking I might give her a smaller dinner and give her the rest in the kong at bed time.

we regularly do this, go for it!

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

GoodBee posted:

I hope this thread doesn't mind stupid questions. This is helping me organize my thoughts so I can actually ask the vet and the trainer intelligent questions.

Crate question:
I'm having a hard time figuring out what size crate my dog needs. I've found a couple of different methods of measuring a dog for a crate and she either needs a 36/L or a 42/XL crate. I don't want to go too big or too small. Any suggestions?

Sound like a plan.

Nah this is the stupid questions thread, try to size the crate so there is just enough room for the dog to turn around, or maybe get one with a divider the dog can grow into. If the crate is too big, you get accidents in the crate and they will happily poo poo or piss right there unless they actually have to sleep on it.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Bud K ninja sword posted:

Nah this is the stupid questions thread, try to size the crate so there is just enough room for the dog to turn around, or maybe get one with a divider the dog can grow into. If the crate is too big, you get accidents in the crate and they will happily poo poo or piss right there unless they actually have to sleep on it.

The dog should be full grown but I'm going to get my vets opinion on Saturday. I was trying to measure her but she wouldn't stand or sit like a proper lady, then she managed to take up the whole couch and I thought there is no way the Large crate would be big enough. Then she curled into a tiny ball.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

GoodBee posted:

The dog should be full grown but I'm going to get my vets opinion on Saturday. I was trying to measure her but she wouldn't stand or sit like a proper lady, then she managed to take up the whole couch and I thought there is no way the Large crate would be big enough. Then she curled into a tiny ball.

My dog grows over night. She'll start curled up small in the evening and then by the morning she'll grown to need the whole bed.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Just out of idle curiosity, does anyone else's dog bring in dead leaves to play with/chew on? Because our little cocker puppy does. To be clear, I'm not too fussed about this - a dry leaf isn't especially messy, unpleasant, or difficult to clean up, and she's suffered no obvious illnesses from this odd little habit - but I figured it was peculiar enough that I might as well ask just to see whether this is common or if it's just our pup being weird.

Anyway, in grand old thread tradition, here's Chloe, the culprit in question:

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

GoodBee posted:

It might help if you go and look at an XL crate set up/opened at a pet store/feed store. XL crates are HUGE, my friend had one for her moderately large pitbull and it took up most of a bedroom's space - and i think two of him could have fit in it. Most dogs also curl up in a ball when sleeping unless they're stretching to take up your entire bed, I'd tend to go smaller.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

pizzadog posted:

It might help if you go and look at an XL crate set up/opened at a pet store/feed store. XL crates are HUGE, my friend had one for her moderately large pitbull and it took up most of a bedroom's space - and i think two of him could have fit in it. Most dogs also curl up in a ball when sleeping unless they're stretching to take up your entire bed, I'd tend to go smaller.

xls are massive. will attest, had to downsize because i thought the 90 pound hound dog was XL :ssh: (its not) larges work pretty well for anything under 100 pounds even though they look "too small"

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

pizzadog posted:

She doesn't really seem like a large dog to me in the first place, much less an XL dog. The large is probably the right size. I swung by a pet store and they didn't have much selection or any assembled.

My next thought is how am I going to be able to leave the crate open so the dog can come and go when she pleases when she doesn't need to be locked in and keep the cats from taking it over and making it their new capital.

Bud K ninja sword posted:

xls are massive. will attest, had to downsize because i thought the 90 pound hound dog was XL :ssh: (its not) larges work pretty well for anything under 100 pounds even though they look "too small"

This makes me feel better. One thing I read said that the biggest mistake was buying a crate that was too big.

My little hound is about 50 lbs now. She should probably gain a few pounds but that's on the top of the ask the vet list. I'm thinking she probably only needs to gain about 5 lbs but some friends are suggesting she needs to gain about 20. I think that's ridiculous and these people are used to heftier built dogs.

I have been feeding her according to the top recommended amount for the 50 - 60 lb range on the bag. I will adjust once we know what her goal weight should be.

GoodBee fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Oct 19, 2016

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
eh the kitten sprawls all over the dog crates at the house, the other cats sometimes chill in em, as long as your dog can come and go as it pleases it shouldnt be a problem

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
If the dog can stand up and turn around the crate is big enough. They spend most of their crate time sleeping or laying down working on a bone/kong anyway.

My 20" tall dog has a medium 36" crate and he could probably stand to go down a size.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

St Evan Echoes posted:

Thanks for the good wishes people

Unfortunately the vet thought he was worse if anything than the previous day, with worse reflexes and dizziness. She gave us the option of another steroid injection and another 24 hours to see if he improves, or to put him to sleep.

We chose the latter, and the vet agreed it was the right choice to make. At 16 years old, mostly deaf and half blind already, anything less than a full recovery would have made him a shell of the dog we knew and loved, and we just weren't prepared to put him through more misery.

I already miss the little dude so much, and the couch feels empty without him stumbling over my girlfriend and me to find the best nap spot :smith:

Sorry to hear about your loss man, those empty couch spaces are tough.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Warbird posted:

If you feel like wasting money, Kong also makes pb in a can with an ez cheez style nozzle. You and I probably had the same size(small) as I had with my shibe and a butter knife worked fine. Basically load the knife up and keep loading it in. Can make a bit of a mess around the top but I normally would just scrape that bit off at the end and use it to cap it off.

Sekhmet posted:

My old coworker's friend's pug had heatstroke and died just going on a walk on a moderately hot day. Not a run, a walk. gently caress brachy dog breeders.

GoodBee posted:

Crate question:

Sound like a plan.

Do you have a pet store you can go nearby so you can at least see the sizes in person? That might help you visualize better the size you need. Ideally you want it big enough the dog can stand comfortably and turn around in.

As a hound I'm assuming it loves food, so no, you'll be fine. I used to feed my Shiba her ~raw food~ in a frozen Kong in the morning and at night her kibble in a toy. These were for practical reasons though because she was obsessed with food and I needed to slow her down. Plus it gave her some mental stimulus and she loved it (to the point that if it was breakfast time and she hadn't been fed, she would find her other Kong and start throwing it at us pointedly :3:). I think you mentioned looking for toys before; I had this for her kibble and :iia: https://www.chewy.com/smarter-toys-...cB&gclsrc=aw.ds

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

GoodBee posted:

This makes me feel better. One thing I read said that the biggest mistake was buying a crate that was too big.

My little hound is about 50 lbs now. She should probably gain a few pounds but that's on the top of the ask the vet list. I'm thinking she probably only needs to gain about 5 lbs but some friends are suggesting she needs to gain about 20. I think that's ridiculous and these people are used to heftier built dogs.

I have been feeding her according to the top recommended amount for the 50 - 60 lb range on the bag. I will adjust once we know what her goal weight should be.

Yes most people think their overweight or obese dogs are a healthy weight but a dog especially a hound, sighthound, etc, should have a very prominent abdominal tuck behind the ribs and it is ideal to even see ribs (gasp) especially when the dog is stretched out, breathing in deep, running, etc.

Do sorry for your loss of Sidney, St Evan Echoes.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

pizzadog posted:

Yes most people think their overweight or obese dogs are a healthy weight but a dog especially a hound, sighthound, etc, should have a very prominent abdominal tuck behind the ribs and it is ideal to even see ribs (gasp) especially when the dog is stretched out, breathing in deep, running, etc.

I like the concerned eyes on that obese dog

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
For a crate I went with something my dog could stand up in and also comfortably lie down in with his legs fully stretched out because he sleeps like he's been knocked out on his side. So my approx ~17" sheltie has a 36" crate. It's plenty huge and depending on how he chooses to sleep he either bunches up in a tiny ball in the corner or splays out to maximum length and takes up the entire thing.

e: haha happy to be of service. My dog is pretty rad, we like him quite a bit. Hates bring brushed though which is poor planning on his part for deciding to be a long haired dog.

Tamarillo fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Oct 19, 2016

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

pizzadog posted:

yeah exactly this. What most people think is "healthy" is fat as gently caress. If you want goon opinion on it, post a photo of her standing. Chances are your friends are dumb AF(plott hound bitches are supposed to be around 50 lbs so even if she's a mix, she is p much spot on).

Fat dogs make me sad :(

Unrelated but thanks Tamarillo for making me look through your post history cause omg that puppy :3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Psychobabble! posted:

yeah exactly this. What most people think is "healthy" is fat as gently caress. If you want goon opinion on it, post a photo of her standing. Chances are your friends are dumb AF(plott hound bitches are supposed to be around 50 lbs so even if she's a mix, she is p much spot on).

Fat dogs make me sad :(

I'll see if I get her to pose for me this afternoon. I think her ribs are pretty prominent so gaining a couple of pounds seems reasonable to me. I figure the vet can tell me best when we go on Saturday but you guys like pictures. My friends are probably comparing her mostly to one's Chow mix and one's bosses German Shepherd who are both generally wider dogs.

We measured her at the shoulders and she's on the taller side of female Plott Hound averages so it makes sense to be on the higher side of weight averages. That still doesn't put her much over 50lbs. And I haven't actually weighed her myself, her medical history from the shelter said 50lbs.