Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
It's really disappointing because the God book lets you do all sorts of crazy poo poo like make a self reproducing population of dog-men with TVs for heads and vines for legs but no one ever gets that far because it's Epic Dex rocket tag all the way down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

I Am Just a Box posted:

Holy poo poo, that ratkin photomanipulation really doesn't work. Just in general, the idea of using pictures of actual LARPers really doesn't seem suited to the game about everybody being a violent shapeshifter. Is there a Corax splash?

In the background of this one, though, I kind of like the weird industrial cathedral look to the factory. If you're gonna be a stylistically exaggerated setting, go all out.

The Corax photo is not-Robert-Smith from the Cure hanging from the rooftop.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Kurieg posted:

Ahh, well then, let's drown him out with terrible loving art

If this were supposed to be the fallen shadow of the Hindu monkey god Hanuman trying to survive in post-World War II New York City in the style of Neil Gaiman's novel American Gods, it would be perfect. A Ratkin that is not.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Ratkin don't even get a glabro-esque form until, like, rank two or three. Otherwise it's all giant ratman all the time.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

And even then only Homids can get it. Metis get Hispo, and Rodens get the cartoon mouse from Simpsons.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Speaking of, more stuff went up on the Facebook page.

It's still terrible.

Really terrible.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Werewolves: basically a really hirsute elf.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Looking more and more like Mortal Kombat every day.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Kurieg posted:

Really terrible.

What's up with its arm at the elbow there?

It looks like the dude they used has really thin arms so they cackhandedly tried to beef em up.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

What's even going on in this picture? Is this Gnawer ankle-deep in mostly invisible water? Is he standing in front of a really tiny car? Did something in my brain break to make it so that I can't process images properly anymore?

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

citybeatnik posted:

Ratkin don't even get a glabro-esque form until, like, rank two or three. Otherwise it's all giant ratman all the time.

Kurieg posted:

And even then only Homids can get it. Metis get Hispo, and Rodens get the cartoon mouse from Simpsons.

Mors Rattus posted:

Werewolves: basically a really hirsute elf.

Basically this. Rats don't even have pointy ears, why would a Rat/human hybrid have straight elf tips?

plaintiff
May 15, 2015

Had Peter Woodworth show up on my extended FB feed, smugging about defending Beast . I recall him being smug about how he totally rekt all those neckbears, who didn't even read the book, of course. He compared the criticism to the same line levied against GMC. This was some time ago. Those who know more than me about all of this, have they just been insulated from the criticisms here?

plaintiff fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Oct 17, 2016

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

MC Smoke Sensei posted:

Had Peter Woodworth show up on my extended FB feed, smugging about defending Beast . I recall him being smug about how he totally rekt all those neckbears, who didn't even read the book, of course. He compared the criticism to the same line levied against GMC. This was some time ago. Those who know more than me about all of this, have they just been insulated from the criticisms here?

Well, from a quick glance, he's a 40+ man with an actual neck beard, is excited about the Changeling 20th Anniversary, and wears a kilt unironically. So consider the source of the smugness; he's clearly familiar with self-delusion.

In general, the complaints by WW/OP writers of antisocial geeks smack of a certain degree of self-loathing.

Simian_Prime fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Oct 17, 2016

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Scion update: 255k achieved. Expanded Relic rules are in!

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Hi guys, time for another drive by shitpost that no one cares about:

My Toreador is dead but I don't give a gently caress at all because now I'm playing a Giovanni (Dunsirn) and I get to work with the other players while trying to stab them in the back, it owns

We're also going to start alternating to a Sabbat game every other week, it's gonna own

I'm also playing in a homebrew LARP where Tremere and Giovanni are covenants so I'm a Camarilla Tzimicse Giovanni, it owns

Thanks for reading my dumb post

E: the reason I'm super-pumped about this is I have never played non-standard Camarilla clans or clans/covenants and I think getting more information about the Sabbat perspective in the Sabbat game and the convoluted politiking of the Giovanni in the first game will be super duper interesting.

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Oct 17, 2016

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Simian_Prime posted:

Well, from a quick glance, he's a 40+ man with an actual neck beard, is excited about the Changeling 20th Anniversary, and wears a kilt unironically. So consider the source of the smugness; he's clearly familiar with self-delusion.

In general, the complaints by WW/OP writers of antisocial geeks smack of a certain degree of self-loathing.

That was why Black Dog as a parody was pretty great, too. It was a much healthier way of expressing that sense of 'what the gently caress is wrong with us'.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

MC Smoke Sensei posted:

Uhh, no, we read the book, we also read the kickstarter, and the pre-release content. We can use these to extrapolate the intent behind the text and rest fairly confident in our assessment that it's an utterly facile revenge fantasy that belittles both the object and the actor in it's attempt to be progressive. I've been writing about it for almost a year now and have done several podcasts in that regard. Even if people haven't read the book their evaluation of it being a bad game is still correct.

To put it another way, just because their critiques are improperly substantiated doesn't mean that they're wrong.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Oct 17, 2016

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
You know when WOD says "humans are the real monsters, not everything bad is PENTEX" or whatever? Sometimes I roll my eyes because I want there to be a vast PENTEX conspiracy, because it's cool.

And then reality hits (and writes a new story hook): http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/05/b...WT.nav=top-news

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS

Simian_Prime posted:

On the plus side, my impression is that its mostly a remnant of the late 90s/early 2000s that a few freelancers cling too, and thankfully not an industry standard. Even at OPP, most lines seem to have embraced the greater fan collaboration/feedback model rather than the adversarial.

That late revised period was kind of a weird window of opportunity for that attitude. White Wolf was at or barely passed its peak popularity, the d20 explosion was making the overall RPG scene look like it was roaring to life, and internet communities were popular but hadn't fully disseminated the idea that RPG margins were incredibly slim and that most writers made next to nothing. Some bigger name authors could have what passes for a "rock star" status and attendant attitude in those 2-3 years, and even marginal figures were trying to pull it off (see, for example, GMS).

Of course, the d20 boom turned into a glut and then a crash, the digital market meant anyone with some basic publishing software could sell a product, and it became apparent to the fan base that even the big companies could only support at most a handful of full time employees. Most of the writers attempting to making a living with RPGs rather than just a side hobby were making less than your average minimum wage employee. We shouldn't judge people's value based on their economic earnings but, well, we do.

So most of the industry seems to have moved away from that, including a lot of the OPP lines like I mentioned, but you still get a few. I dunno if its actively trying to bring back the "glory days" or if they just think that's how RP authors are supposed to behave, but it really doesn't work as well in 2016 as it did 15 years ago.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I'm starting to think we're laughing with them, not at them.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I honestly can't believe these pictures AREN'T intentional self-parody at this point.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

How are these going down on the fb page they're getting posted?

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Sneak peak at Michael Bay's gritty reboot of Jabberjaw.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

On a similar vein: Vampire wrestling time!

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

UrbicaMortis posted:

How are these going down on the fb page they're getting posted?

"OMFG SO SEXY" and "LESS GET OF FENRIS PLZ"

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
So what I'm getting from this is that their art budget is "open call for donations on DeviantArt."

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Scion: 258k.

New preview!

quote:

Hey folks! This time we’re going to preview a bit of the power saw in the last art preview. The Water Purview is used by gods of lakes and rivers, of oceans and brackish seas. When we design Purviews (which we’ll get into with some of those new stretch goals) we try to do so with the intent of providing Boons useful for the three arenas of action. Changing Tides is useful for action, while Reborn in the Depths can (as you see) be very useful for investigation. And the third, Sink Hopes...well, you’ll see soon.

Water

From ancient wells and municipal waterworks to flowing rivers and vast oceans, all Water is governed by this Purview. It rules the ebb and flow of the tides, the sustaining and cleansing power of fresh water, and the untold perils of crashing waves and the deep sea.
Innate Power: You can breathe water like air and swim with flawless grace, ignoring any Obstacles for moving or acting underwater. You are also immune to harm from the pressure or temperature of water.

Changing Tides
Cost: Imbue 1 Legend or Spend 1 Legend
Duration: One scene or Instant
Subject: Body of water
Range: Long
Action: Simple

You exert your will over water, controlling the tides or currents that move through it. You can calm all water out to long range, making it still and placid even in the face of a hurricane, or change the direction that currents flow in, letting you reverse the direction of a river or cause a riptide to drag lost swimmers back to shore.
Alternatively, if you spend Legend instead of imbuing it, you can call up a great wave to crash down on your foes. You roll this attack with (highest Power Attribute) + Occult and Enhancement 4. It has the shockwave tag (p. XX), letting you attack all characters in a single range band within long range, as well as the bashing and pushing tags.

Reborn in the Depths
Cost: Imbue 1 Legend
Duration: One scene
Subject: Self
Action: Reflexive

You can heal by submerging yourself in a body of water, clearing a -2 Stress box at the end of a scene spent immersed. You can heal a -4 box instead if all your -2s are clear. You can only benefit from this healing once per session.
In addition, you extend your senses through the water. As a simple action, you can displace your perspective to any point out to long range within the same body of water, seeing through that point as though you were physically there.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Mods please rename me to Prominent Shark Nipples tia

EDIT: the fire on the oil rig is flipping him off

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I didn't even think about the tiny rear end dorsal fin coming out of his neck. Also his torso is tapering a whole bunch, do Rokea have tiny vestigial dorsal fins and wasp waists now?

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Kurieg posted:

I didn't even think about the tiny rear end dorsal fin coming out of his neck. Also his torso is tapering a whole bunch, do Rokea have tiny vestigial dorsal fins and wasp waists now?

Obviously he skips caudal day.

e: ha ha i made the lovely joke first

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Kurieg posted:

They just skip leg day.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Wrestletime is over. Video upload and highlights later, got some technical problems to fix.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Scion: 259k

New stretch goals:

265k: Deluxe Scion dice set as an available add-on to your pledge. 10 dice, with a Scion logo in place of the 10s. Will be a 23-dollar add-on. Still waiting to hear on cost of a set with different simplified Pantheon symbols on each die instead.
275k: Bestiary will include a section on therianthropes.

Personally, I'm p. sure that one will happen anyway.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Still would be good to have it guaranteed. And there are shapeshifter heroes anyway that you can extrapolate from.

plaintiff
May 15, 2015

Kurieg, I found your FATAL & Friends review of BtP. I'm reading it now, and now that I can see a lot of this text quoted (having never read the book or paid for it)... holy gently caress. I certainly feel more informed, but not any more satisfied, knowing that this is the final product. I have been contemplating submitting a writing sample to OPP for some time now, but I'm not so sure anymore.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Did anyone get the W20 Kinfolk book? Does it do for Apocalypse kinfolk what The Pack did for Forsaken kinfolk?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

MC Smoke Sensei posted:

Kurieg, I found your FATAL & Friends review of BtP. I'm reading it now, and now that I can see a lot of this text quoted (having never read the book or paid for it)... holy gently caress. I certainly feel more informed, but not any more satisfied, knowing that this is the final product. I have been contemplating submitting a writing sample to OPP for some time now, but I'm not so sure anymore.

Again, Beast is an extreme outlier. Every other CofD book so far (barring mummy) has been good.

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Did anyone get the W20 Kinfolk book? Does it do for Apocalypse kinfolk what The Pack did for Forsaken kinfolk?

It's on my short list. My only current critique is that the Art on the cover looks weird. Not BNS weird but still weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Kurieg posted:

Again, Beast is an extreme outlier. Every other CofD book so far (barring mummy) has been good.

And Mummy's more failed oWoD-esque throwback mechanics than atrocious writing.