Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Elman posted:

It'd be nice to have more institution-related content in general, yeah. I don't like how the main way to deal with institutions is developing your provinces, but that's a DLC-only feature.

Yeah, it's from Common Sense and it's a good idea to buy that one anyway, but it still feels off. On that note, now that there's no tech groups you also don't get western countries' maps when you "westernize", which means in my Aztec run most of Europe and Asia are still covered in fog even though it's 1715. I had to bring a Conquistador to walk around France, and the only way around that appears to be map stealing, from the Mare Nostrum dlc :geno:

You can ask your allies to share maps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

You also don't need a conquistador to explore grey areas if you're at war with the owner of that province :getin:

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Sun Wu Kampf posted:

What are some good mods for this game? I havn't played in forever.

mine

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Sun Wu Kampf posted:

This is not a very helpful answer, but a new DLC just came out so most mods aren't updated yet.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Honestly if you haven't played in a long time you should probably just try out vanilla (+ my mod), a huge huge amount of stuff has changed. Maybe get some more random new world tiles if you're into that sort of thing, or one of the things that unlocks more options in the nation designer? There's not really any go-to mods, it's just personal preference really.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

voltaire's nightmare

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Gah, I don't usually complain about fort's ZoC, but I had my guys sieging a province, with a backup army two provinces over to cut off or reinforce depending what my enemy did. They were able to get to the province being sieged...until I won the siege, and then I was cut off by another fort that wasn't affecting me before. smh.

Tsyni fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Oct 17, 2016

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Jsor posted:

It would be nice if there were a few more ways to get institutions, though I like that it makes paying attention to development something you actually do. Maybe something like "court foreign scholars" where you target a country you have positive opinion with that has embraced the institution, and pay a large number of ducats/mth (or even something like diplo/month). Maybe have other modifiers while doing it like +national unrest because you're spreading those dirty furriner ideas.

"Fund Itinerant Young Noblemen," an option that allows you to subsidize the travels of younger members of your court so they'll bring back foreign ideas

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Naive enthusiast is my favourite AI trait so far. Ignore aggressive expansion, watching the coalitions grow. Farewell, great power.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Buschmaki posted:

You can ask your allies to share maps.

That's still Mare Nostrum though.

Sun Wu Kampf posted:

This one is really good, it's just the vanilla map font but actually readable at small sizes.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Any idea on what the Prussian Monarchy does for custom nations in terms of events or features? I was doing a quick custom Inca game with that government form and I notice nothing changed besides an extra button in the government window.

Also: could someone describe to me the pros and cons of the government form?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Dorkopotamis posted:

Any idea on what the Prussian Monarchy does for custom nations in terms of events or features? I was doing a quick custom Inca game with that government form and I notice nothing changed besides an extra button in the government window.

Also: could someone describe to me the pros and cons of the government form?

I haven't played a full Prussia game yet but I was tooling around with it in custom game as well and as far as I know it doesn't give you any special events by itself, those would all be Prussian-specific events since it's a special case government.

Pros: all rulers have at least 3 military power.
Innate unrest and WE reduction.
High militarization (you get this by having lots of army tradition or legitimacy, or click the button to spend 50 military bucks to raise it manually) gives you discipline, manpower recovery, and reduced maintenance.

Cons: the more provinces you have the bigger penalty to militarization you get.

It's basically designed to encourage you to play tall and not blob all over Germany, while still being able to kick the poo poo out of ostensibly superior powers. When I've played a full game I'll have a better sense of whether that works. Wars are so dependent on troop numbers in EU4 that I have to assume it's still not a bad idea to just blob all over Germany.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I'm currently exploring Europe with a conquistador and open borders treaties, trying to find Landshut (for the "conquer every Institution origin province" achievement). It's 1725.

Yeah, they need to do something about the fog of war.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Elman posted:

I'm currently exploring Europe with a conquistador and open borders treaties, trying to find Landshut (for the "conquer every Institution origin province" achievement). It's 1725.

Yeah, they need to do something about the fog of war.

Oh right, with countries no longer changing tech groups, FoW will be obnoxious for non-western nations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I really like the idea of an armed band of 18th century Aztecs wandering around Europe in search of the fabled land of Lower Bavaria though

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Greetings primitive, we seek the legendary island of Ang-Land. We offer you many beads in exchange for information.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
It took longer than I think it used to, but the fog lifted for me just fine in the Chinese group.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I'm doing a Not just Pizza -> Italian Ambition run and France are really going a long way to earning forgiveness for every one of my games they've wrecked. They helped me carve up Castile after they broke an alliance with me and are now repaying every loan I take out. Rights of Man is a lot better than I expected.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

skasion posted:

I really like the idea of an armed band of 18th century Aztecs wandering around Europe in search of the fabled land of Lower Bavaria though

Yeah, this is cool and good.

Especially because there is now a map trading/stealing function. Much better & more involved than just magic map discovery.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
In Rights of Man, do you need a royal marriage to get a queen, or is it just a lower random chance?

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.
The wiki says that there's also a chance of a local dynasty giving you a consort when you get an heir.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fintilgin posted:

Especially because there is now a map trading/stealing function. Much better & more involved than just magic map discovery.

The map stealing/trading thing is still kind of annoying though since you need a unit or territory within or adjacent to the region you're trying to map. I feel like I should be able to steal a map of the new world from Portugal or someone without physically traveling there first - if I could get there I'd just explore it myself.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Baron Corbyn posted:

I'm doing a Not just Pizza -> Italian Ambition run and France are really going a long way to earning forgiveness for every one of my games they've wrecked. They helped me carve up Castile after they broke an alliance with me and are now repaying every loan I take out. Rights of Man is a lot better than I expected.

Every northern Italian country from Provence to Venice plus a few German minors and independent Naples declared war on my Papacy for expanding a little too fast in the north. Their 80,000 troops steamrolled my 35,000 plus mercs. My best friend Castile showed up 6 months later with 70,000 and beat them back enough for me to take another Italian province and grab 600 ducats! Thanks, Castile. It's almost as if AI allies are actually useful now.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Fintilgin posted:

On the other hand, I'm not buying Mare Nostrum just for maps.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Tendronai posted:

The wiki says that there's also a chance of a local dynasty giving you a consort when you get an heir.

The event also affects the province your consort came from. I think it was lower revolt chance, some other benefit and increased autonomy.

Is being able to give your allies' provinces in wars a bit gamey? I got myself into a mega war over Malta with France, Austria-Hungary, Tlemcen and the Pope against Spain, Portugal and Venice and the Ottomans decided to intervene as a Great Power but I was able to get them and their ridiculous navy to bugger off by letting them keep the parts of Hungary they'd occupied. It cost me some trust that I was able to win back by handing out some territories after the war but shouldn't Austria have been able to tell me to gently caress off and not give away a huge chunk of Hungary to get Malta.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
The AI can do it to you too, so it cuts both ways. I've had the lead AI in a war decide to give up some of my territory to make a peace deal. Thanks pal. Glad I, as defender of the faith, came to help you.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Elotana posted:

In Rights of Man, do you need a royal marriage to get a queen, or is it just a lower random chance?

You can get local queens if you don't have anybody to RM, but I think it can only happen when your heir ascends. Other than that, gaining a Queen is triggered directly by the RM acceptance, meaning it happens immediately, rather than an event with a MTTH that's modified by RMs.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
There are events for them not irregularly. I played for about 200 years as an immortal character and got 5-6 prince consorts, without royal marrying or having an heir ascend. Actually a couple of times there were events where I could've gotten more that I turned down- there's a "marry a lowborn" thing you get sometimes.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The map stealing/trading thing is still kind of annoying though since you need a unit or territory within or adjacent to the region you're trying to map. I feel like I should be able to steal a map of the new world from Portugal or someone without physically traveling there first - if I could get there I'd just explore it myself.

Did not know that part. Of course, it's a rare game when I don't take exploration as one of my first couple idea groups.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Now that there's an immortal trait, is there a King Dracula mod yet for Wallachia?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Bellman's music pack's got to be my favourite, and not just because it was free. Those are some insanely cozy, fitting and fun tracks!

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Operation Bosnian Clay is beginning to look like a success.

I've just embraced the Printing Press, so I'm at 0% tech penalty. Hit mil tech 15 and I've got Diplomatic, Defensive and Economic ideas completed with Quantity half full.
I'm allied to Austria, Switzerland and the newly formed huge Commonwealth. Transylvania is my little march that I'll be feeding Hungary to as soon as the truce ends.
After I had eaten Serbia and the Croatian bits of Hungary I stopped getting auto-warned by The Ottomans (one of the reasons it took a while to break out was that when the warning expired I would have maybe a four day window to declare a war before I got warned again).

I suppose at some point I can culture shift to Croatian, form Croatia and get that Krabater achievement.

edit: also, privateering Venice is ludicrously valuable, much better than trying to trade there.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

With the Trastamaras in charge, who could blame them?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Baron Corbyn posted:

The event also affects the province your consort came from. I think it was lower revolt chance, some other benefit and increased autonomy.

Is being able to give your allies' provinces in wars a bit gamey? I got myself into a mega war over Malta with France, Austria-Hungary, Tlemcen and the Pope against Spain, Portugal and Venice and the Ottomans decided to intervene as a Great Power but I was able to get them and their ridiculous navy to bugger off by letting them keep the parts of Hungary they'd occupied. It cost me some trust that I was able to win back by handing out some territories after the war but shouldn't Austria have been able to tell me to gently caress off and not give away a huge chunk of Hungary to get Malta.

Maybe it should let GPs tell you to gently caress off, or require a diplo tech somewhere around Westphalia, or require a power/contribution difference or something. If Austria saves you in a war, you shouldn't be able to give away Austrian territory to preserve your own.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

The Ai getting to ignore forts zoc is really annoying in some areas. The Ottomans just walked straight past my forts and stackwiped the glorious Bosnian army

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
I was looking at the wiki and saw the Manga mission for Japan awards Horde Unity which raises a question: Is it even possible for Japan to become a horde? I don't know of a way to turn a country into a horde.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Xinder posted:

I was looking at the wiki and saw the Manga mission for Japan awards Horde Unity which raises a question: Is it even possible for Japan to become a horde? I don't know of a way to turn a country into a horde.

The horde in question is just the horde of anime fans.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

pointsofdata posted:

The Ai getting to ignore forts zoc is really annoying in some areas. The Ottomans just walked straight past my forts and stackwiped the glorious Bosnian army

er can they? The devs have posted countless times that the AI doesn't cheat with zone of control.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Yeah it seems that the ai first sees that it can get to a province legitimately, then second just goes the shortest pathfinding way there

At least that's what I've observed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
It's a bug, they're fixing it.

• Locked thread