Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Tumblr is just a clone of every other blog software.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I can't stand Tumblr as a platform for writing, it's like a malformed livejournal.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Tumblr is good for looking at art, that's about all I use it for.

Soonmot posted:

I know this has been asked before, but I finally got into the craze of five years ago and made a twitter account. Who are fun/interesting comic folks to follow and also your own twitters? I'm @soonmot

Don't tweet at anybody until you have at least 15 people following you, some use an autoblocker bot to filter out egg avatar gamergators.

WickedHate posted:

Follow Seanbaby. Dude talks about comics a lot and is hilarious.

I don't think you were alive when Seanbaby was at his height, drat.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Lightning Lord posted:

Tumblr is good for looking at art, that's about all I use it for.

Don't tweet at anybody until you have at least 15 people following you, some use an autoblocker bot to filter out egg avatar gamergators.

I don't think you were alive when Seanbaby was at his height, drat.

OH man, Patton Oswalt will never see my hilarious question to him.

On the plus side, Kieron GIllian replied to me and used my Bratmobile song on the Aphra playlist. I feel as if I've already won twitter.

Also: gently caress tumblr.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Roth posted:

Tumblr's only as bad as the people you follow. I much prefer it to any other social media.

I'd say the same about most social media.

Also, apparently Anthropologists Are On The Verge Of Figuring Out How You’re Supposed To Read Tumblr Comments.

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

redbackground posted:

I was going to recommend that heartily, as it's one of my favorites, and had the entire Kesel run hardbound

But did you do it in under 12 parsecs?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Well, yeah, I'm just saying that Tumblr specifically is nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be, and it really depends on the people you actually follow.

I also remember that Tumblr actually fixed that issue with the comments. Now it looks like this:

And Tumblr users complained about the change despite it being an outright improvement

Roth fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Oct 17, 2016

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Roth posted:

Well, yeah, I'm just saying that Tumblr specifically is nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be, and it really depends on the people you actually follow.

I also remember that Tumblr actually fixed that issue with the comments. Now it looks like this:

And Tumble users complained about the change despite it being an outright improvement
Off of that comment, I recently re-read Whedon's Astonishing X-Men and was jarred right out of the story when Nick Fury showed up looking like David Hasslehoff. It's not just children; I was in college when Ultimates came out and yet I now will reject any Nick Fury that doesn't look like Sam Jackson. I have no idea how that happened.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

CapnAndy posted:

Off of that comment, I recently re-read Whedon's Astonishing X-Men and was jarred right out of the story when Nick Fury showed up looking like David Hasslehoff. It's not just children; I was in college when Ultimates came out and yet I now will reject any Nick Fury that doesn't look like Sam Jackson. I have no idea how that happened.

So you have a problem reading Kirby or Steranko SHIELD?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Ultimate/Movie Fury feels like a completely different character than classic Super-Spy Fury to me, so I never had that problem.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I have three Nick Furys.

Steranko Fury who is James Bond speedballing.
Jackson Fury who is government Batman.
And Hasselhoff Fury who is pathetically drunk eating a hamburger in space while his LMDs do everything substantial on the ground.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

John Stewart might be a better example of what they were talking about, since I think he's now the Green Lantern most young people think of now.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I definitely remember some outrage that Ryan Reynolds was playing Green Lantern because "everyone knows Green Lantern is black"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

JLU is far enough off that it's probably passed now, though.

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Ghostlight posted:

I have three Nick Furys.

Steranko Fury who is James Bond speedballing.
Jackson Fury who is government Batman.
And Hasselhoff Fury who is pathetically drunk eating a hamburger in space while his LMDs do everything substantial on the ground.

Just pretend Hasselhof Fury is actually Dirk Anger.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Jackson Fury is always a good case when people complain about previously white characters being cast/changed into black characters. More people probably know Fury now as Jackson Fury than Hasselhoff.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

I definitely remember some outrage that Ryan Reynolds was playing Green Lantern because "everyone knows Green Lantern is black"

That was definitely a thing. Comic shops have to deal with that sort of OUTRAGE fairly frequently.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Rhyno posted:

That was definitely a thing. Comic shops have to deal with that sort of OUTRAGE fairly frequently.

Hal Jordan's continued existence is an outrage, I agree.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

But just think of all the fun* "who would win" discussions you get to hear

*Fun not included.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Aphrodite posted:

It seems when DC wants to show off that they actually can have a Black dude in the Justice League now, they turn to Cyborg.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Lightning Lord posted:

So you have a problem reading Kirby or Steranko SHIELD?
No, because that's so obviously taking place in the 60s and 70s that I look at it and go "oh yeah that's Nick Fury's dad, he did wacky hyper-masculine James Bond poo poo". But if the setting becomes modern and Fury's bossing superheroes around, I expect him to look like Sam Jackson or it just doesn't work right any more.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah, between Reynolds, Batman Brave and the Bold, Young Justice and the GL animated series, I don't think modern kids think of John Stewart anymore, sad to say.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Madkal posted:

But just think of all the fun* "who would win" discussions you get to hear

*Fun not included.

Fun most definitely not included. I wish I was allowed to put up a "No Superman VS Goku discussion" sign.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

How often does One Punch Man come up now?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Roth posted:

How often does One Punch Man come up now?

Almost never honestly.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Rhyno posted:

Fun most definitely not included. I wish I was allowed to put up a "No Superman VS Goku discussion" sign.

As I lay dying, my last words just before flat lining will be "those Death Battle episodes...were bullshit...".

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rhyno posted:

You can't do that Rhyno! Dragonball Super just changed the name of the game and I have to explain how Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan God matches up to pre-crisis Superman!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Rhyno posted:

Almost never honestly.

At least that is contained to the internet for now.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I wish. I was in a pizza place a year or so ago and the two or three guys in the booth over were honestly having a Goku v Superman argument. That said, in about twenty minutes they had come to an agreement on who would win and the conversation ended.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

WickedHate posted:

As I lay dying, my last words just before flat lining will be "those Death Battle episodes...were bullshit...".

No, they were great.

I'll always get a kick out of when they showed Superman vs. Goku II at a convention in front of a pro-Goku crowd and streamed it online. Goku, in his most powerful form, does the Kamehameha and everyone yells with him and marks out like crazy as the beam engulfs Superman.

Then it cuts to a shot of Superman's silhouette casually walking through the blast and the crowd lets loose this loud, confused and horrified scream. The dream is dead. :getin:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Me and you Gavok, pistols at dawn.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Gavok posted:

No, they were great.

I'll always get a kick out of when they showed Superman vs. Goku II at a convention in front of a pro-Goku crowd and streamed it online. Goku, in his most powerful form, does the Kamehameha and everyone yells with him and marks out like crazy as the beam engulfs Superman.

Then it cuts to a shot of Superman's silhouette casually walking through the blast and the crowd lets loose this loud, confused and horrified scream. The dream is dead. :getin:

This is something I need to see.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ghostlight posted:

I wish. I was in a pizza place a year or so ago and the two or three guys in the booth over were honestly having a Goku v Superman argument. That said, in about twenty minutes they had come to an agreement on who would win and the conversation ended.

When I was working at a bar I would always get poo poo from my coworkers for being the nerd and they'd ask me stupid questions like "Batman vs Doctor Doom" all the time. I recently went back and they now have a comic book trivia night and it blew my mind.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Everyone knows if they don't specify, you make it silver age Superman and he wins.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Saitama is the clear winner here guys just come on

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

site posted:

Well, that just goes without saying.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Batman would clown both of them with enough preparation.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

site posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHRNSeuvzlM

One Punch Man's never going to make it to the big leagues like superman and goku. It's like hoping Stardust the Super Wizard gets brought up.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

First rule: Batman doesn't get a year and a half to do push-ups, sit-ups and squats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

But really, if they can't breathe in space Superman wins.

Superman never throws people into space, that should be move one.

• Locked thread