Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I'm going to see Doctor Strange next week and I'm v. excited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

redbackground posted:

Uh....ok. Is it, like, really funny or something? :/

Of the ~20 Godzilla films I've seen, it's definitely in the top 5. Most human storylines in Godzilla films are either paper-thin, boring, tedious, or some combination of all three, but Shin Godzilla puts the human storyline in the forefront and it's very entertaining and often hilarious. It's a really well done satire.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

This is like the little intro animation each character does at the start of Marvel vs Capcom.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Of the ~20 Godzilla films I've seen, it's definitely in the top 5. Most human storylines in Godzilla films are either paper-thin, boring, tedious, or some combination of all three, but Shin Godzilla puts the human storyline in the forefront and it's very entertaining and often hilarious. It's a really well done satire.

Or songs, so many songs in old Godzilla movies.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

I would very much like to see this film.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

What is this from? It isn't a clip from the movie.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I'm hoping that Ditko landscape shows up more than just momentarily but I honestly didn't think they'd even include it at all.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

twistedmentat posted:

Or songs, so many songs in old Godzilla movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbDAzZ7dfIo
punch Punch PUNCH!

I wonder why they waited so long to showcase this stuff in the marketing.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Making me confident in my decision to take Tuesday off work to go see this.

I have like 22 days of PTO and literally no better reason to use them

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbDAzZ7dfIo
punch Punch PUNCH!

Maybe they were waiting to see how that blacklight poster went down.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

My guess is it just wasn't done yet.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I'm so glad that at least one person on the staff whose job it was to decide the visual direction of interdimensionality for this movie has obviously taken DMT before

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Electromax posted:

My guess is it just wasn't done yet.

Yeah it's quite likely that the Ditko sequences took incredible amounts of time to render, especially considering the Imax.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The nearest Imax is an hour away from me but I'm pretty tempted

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole
They were in the comic con footage but they probably weren't 100% complete until now

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I didn't see the Godziller in time and now there's only one showing left. :derp:

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Godzilla was awesome. Only time the human stuff engaged me honestly.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Over under on the Eye of Agamotto being the Time Stone and me rolling my eyes about it, but enjoying the rest of the movie immensely?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Pretty sure they've confirmed that but not sure what makes it eye rolling?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I'm not going to post in or find the wrestling forums so this is the next best place:

Lightning Lord posted:

Over under on the Eye of Agamotto being the Time Stone and me rolling my eyes about it, but enjoying the rest of the movie immensely?

I feel like you're right but I hope not. Would seem to totally misunderstand what the Eye is and does to make it associated with just Time.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Retro Futurist posted:

Because the Eye of Agamotto is supposed to be mysterious and mystical, its an integral part of the Dr Strange mythos and just tying it into the overarching plot and making it a MacGuffin is goofy. Are the Avengers going to barge in and take it from him?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I hope so.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

I hope so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsIyphGp0Vc

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
No thanos does

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Retro Futurist posted:

They haven't confirmed anything about it, except that it is in the movie. They haven't even confirmed that there is a Gem in this movie.

It seems like a pretty good guess though.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Lightning Lord posted:

Because the Eye of Agamotto is supposed to be mysterious and mystical, its an integral part of the Dr Strange mythos and just tying it into the overarching plot and making it a MacGuffin is goofy. Are the Avengers going to barge in and take it from him?

I don't see why it can't be both. Mysterious and mystical stone crashes to earth eons ago and magic cults start up around it, etc

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

What's really lame is that the stones in the MCU aren't calcified pieces of God, who committed suicide.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

What's really lame is that the stones in the MCU aren't calcified pieces of God, who committed suicide.

Do we have an origin for them yet?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I think they mentioned something about the celestials using them as tools to shape the universe or something in GotG.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Lobok posted:

I'm not going to post in or find the wrestling forums so this is the next best place:

I totally thought this was the Jay's player at first, then realized it was Drax.

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

I think they mentioned something about the celestials using them as tools to shape the universe or something in GotG.

They're the remains of the universe that existed before ours, I believe.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Lurdiak posted:

The Collector says that six singularities existed as the earliest known entities in the universe. They eventually collapsed on themselves and formed the stones. Normal beings were destroyed by coming into contact with them, but the Celestials could harness them and used them to shape the universe and judge other planets.

The Celestials disappeared and the gems were scattered and lost. They eventually became myths. The Collector and Thanos are the only ones who really know what they are. Thor eventually has his vision quest and it is assumed that he knows what they are now as well.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
You can probably bet that Odin or whoever is King of Asgard probably is fully aware of the nature of the stones as well. I feel like Asgard is probably one of the The Civilizations in the Universe that its actions that basically shape how things are.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Odin had like a big book about them or something in The Dark World but gently caress if I can remember anything in that movie besides Tom Hiddleston.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Odin's in a box now, anyway.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Bruceski posted:

Odin's in a box now, anyway.

Nope, he's a crazy hobo on Earth.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Kinda sucks that 3D is a dead gimmick now, because this actually looks like it would be really cool to see in 3D.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Jamesman posted:

Kinda sucks that 3D is a dead gimmick now, because this actually looks like it would be really cool to see in 3D.

I agree with you, but even normal theater 3D gives me a headache so I can't imagine what would happen here. Probably vomiting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Bruceski posted:

I agree with you, but even normal theater 3D gives me a headache so I can't imagine what would happen here. Probably vomiting.

I never bothered to see any movie in 3D, because it seemed really pointless, expensive, and cumbersome (glasses wearer), but a trippy-rear end movie like this seems like what 3D was made for.

• Locked thread