Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
Anyone have any idea how often they restock? The Book was already sold out before I ever had a chance to buy one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Alder posted:

Anything about Au ra? I need to know more about my dragon princess :3:

The minion from the Lore book is cute.

Some. There is expanded lore on the Auri creation myth - "Dawn Father Azim" and "Dusk Mother Nhaama" created the Au Ra in order to fight a war over who should rule the world. The Au Ra waged a bitter struggle in the name of their creators until they eventually put aside their differences. On seeing this, Azim and Nhaama returned to the heavens, leaving the world below to their children.

The Raen integrated into various nations of Othard, most notably Doma and a newly-mentioned place called "Hingashi" which is an island nation off the coast of mainland Othard (side note: Hingashi was Yugiri's first stop on the exile trip but they turned her away, not wanted to get flattened by Varis' new army) while the Xaela, as known, still live on the steppe - tho curiously it's called the "Azim Steppe", so they live in a place named for the other god of the Auri duality, not for their Dusk Mother Nhaama. The wider area of Othard the Raen assimilated into is known as Yanxia.

And... well, there's one other thing that I feel compelled to put into spoiler tags.

In several places in the book, most notably the detailing of Allagan history, the living Bahamut apparently had the title "The Dawn Wyrm" very prominently, and Tiamat had the title "Dusk Wyrm", and the titles crop up fairly often.

So. Well. Either that's a red herring the size of a blue whale, or it prrrrretty much explains exactly where the Au Ra come from, and also puts to bed all this "demon" nonsense. :v:

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Josuke Higashikata posted:

RP'ing is fine, but drat if I don't cringe when I get a RP'er who uses quote macros. Especially if there are quotes where the player is flirty with the target.

poo poo like "Wake up, beautiful. You're too pretty to die! {Raise} <t>".

Honestly, the people who do that are rarely even RPers. Just obnoxious individuals.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Can't believe they sullied the Roe perfection with that cat and the hyur

Seeing as how the cat is Storm Commander R'ashaht Rhiki and she swings around an axe quite sharpish, I'm inclined to forgive them.

The Hyur though, idk.

Saint Freak posted:

Is Thancred really like 2+ feet taller than everyone?

edit: sorry, I mean like .6 yalms taller

Fulm. The word you're looking for is fulm.

edit: bleeping autocorrect

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Oct 17, 2016

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

RP'ing is fine, but drat if I don't cringe when I get a RP'er who uses quote macros. Especially if there are quotes where the player is flirty with the target.

poo poo like "Wake up, beautiful. You're too pretty to die! {Raise} <t>".

I'll have you know resurrection macros are the best thing

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Thinking about trying to fiddle with a ressurection macro so it has a message like "Raising target....Not!" and then it raises a differant knocked out pc

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Truga posted:

Agreed. And they're practical! You don't want both your healers trying to raise the same target, it's a huge waste of time, cooldowns, and/or MP.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Eopia posted:

Anyone have any idea how often they restock? The Book was already sold out before I ever had a chance to buy one.

Same :argh:

SpaceDrake posted:

Some. There is expanded lore on the Auri creation myth - "Dawn Father Azim" and "Dusk Mother Nhaama" created the Au Ra in order to fight a war over who should rule the world. The Au Ra waged a bitter struggle in the name of their creators until they eventually put aside their differences. On seeing this, Azim and Nhaama returned to the heavens, leaving the world below to their children.

The Raen integrated into various nations of Othard, most notably Doma and a newly-mentioned place called "Hingashi" which is an island nation off the coast of mainland Othard (side note: Hingashi was Yugiri's first stop on the exile trip but they turned her away, not wanted to get flattened by Varis' new army) while the Xaela, as known, still live on the steppe - tho curiously it's called the "Azim Steppe", so they live in a place named for the other god of the Auri duality, not for their Dusk Mother Nhaama. The wider area of Othard the Raen assimilated into is known as Yanxia.

And... well, there's one other thing that I feel compelled to put into spoiler tags.

In several places in the book, most notably the detailing of Allagan history, the living Bahamut apparently had the title "The Dawn Wyrm" very prominently, and Tiamat had the title "Dusk Wyrm", and the titles crop up fairly often.

So. Well. Either that's a red herring the size of a blue whale, or it prrrrretty much explains exactly where the Au Ra come from, and also puts to bed all this "demon" nonsense. :v:

Does the lore book shed any light on Midgardsormr's two remaining unaccounted for children?

Hraesvelgr, Ratatoskr, Nidhogg, Bahamut, and Tiamat make five. There were seven.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Seeing as how the cat is Storm Commander R'ashaht Rhiki and she swings around and axe quite sharpish, I'm inclined to forgive them.

Fun fact, in Hullbreaker hard, while fighting Rhiki as a tank, if you turn off your tank stance, and her fell cleave crits without you using a cooldown, you're probably gonna die. I got hit by one for like 18k once.

Granted this will change with new gear, but it was funny early on in the patch cycle.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

seiferguy posted:

Fun fact, in Hullbreaker hard, while fighting Rhiki as a tank, if you turn off your tank stance, and her fell cleave crits without you using a cooldown, you're probably gonna die. I got hit by one for like 18k once.

Granted this will change with new gear, but it was funny early on in the patch cycle.

Not if you One Ilm Punch her Barbaric Surge off first!

I'm sure the rest of the roes didn't really want Commodore Whatshisface of the Yellowjackets there but they probably felt bad that he doesn't have any friends so they gave him a pity invite.

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

Yeah, those gosh darn roleplayers are a menace, what with their ... hurting ... anyone, ever ...?
Today I had an RPing tank who was a level 41 gladiator in Haukke who didn't wear a shield and refused to use his threat combo because it didn't look good. Instead he ran in circles around all the mobs spamming random moves and macros about how cool his character was while he was doing it. I basically ended up tanking the dungeon as DRG because he was going super slow and couldn't hold threat anyway, until he got mad that we were ignoring his macros and trying to finish the dungeon, so he started writing long missives about how RPers were always getting "targeted" until we kicked him. See also: ice mages.

Not that I think RPers are worse than any other group of players, but the bad ones suck in their own unique ways.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

SpaceDrake posted:

This suggests that Bahamut and Tiamat were doing things in places besides just Mercydia, which allows us to stumble across ancient workings tied to them in other places.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Truga posted:

Someone in my old static (or maybe just one of the goon FCs, i forget) had a very good one based on gil seller spam. :3:

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011

Eopia posted:

Yeeeeeeeep, same, here. I hope they get more stock, because godamn, I need this book.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

troofs posted:

See also: ice mages.
That reminds me, I have to get around to doing Library as an ice mage and post the parse.

It may be slower but it's lore-friendly because you can't burn the books!

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/FF_XIV_EN/status/788088366109630464?s=09

Maybe this time. :ohdear:

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Captain Oblivious posted:

Does the lore book shed any light on Midgardsormr's two remaining unaccounted for children?

Hraesvelgr, Ratatoskr, Nidhogg, Bahamut, and Tiamat make five. There were seven.

Vrtra and Azdaja are the remaining two. No Shinryu, surprisingly enough.

Gearhead posted:

This suggests that Bahamut and Tiamat were doing things in places besides just Mercydia, which allows us to stumble across ancient workings tied to them in other places.

An alternate scenario is that the Au Ra were created during the Allag-Meracydia conflict, and either escaped or were compelled to leave by creators who did not want them to perish when it became obvious the Meracydian Alliance was going to lose. But either way, yeah, it's possible the story of Bahamut and Tiamat isn't quite done yet, though it might also just be a backstory factoid.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

SpaceDrake posted:

An alternate scenario is that the Au Ra were created during the Allag-Meracydia conflict, and either escaped or were compelled to leave by creators who did not want them to perish when it became obvious the Meracydian Alliance was going to lose. But either way, yeah, it's possible the story of Bahamut and Tiamat isn't quite done yet, though it might also just be a backstory factoid.

I would love to see Tiamat sufficiently motivated as to get down off her cross.

I'm still somewhat confused as to how they're going to handle the Garlean problem, really. It's not like Eorzea can take them on directly. They're an industrial power the size of Russia or China with a LOT of experience in loving people. You aren't going to persuade them to go away either, because for them it's a systematic war on religion itself to save the world from superstition literally eating the world for lunch. The only alternative I can see is them accidentally activating some ancient Allagan failsafe that blasts the heart of their empire to kingdom come. (And Omega is in the wrong place for that.)

Perhaps the lore bit that the Allag left a LOT of ancient horrors chained up all over the world is a nod to that possibility.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

As a BLM, once in a while I like to throw in a Freeze once or twice during a Roulette dungeon to see if anyone's paying attention. Usually if anybody notices they get a chuckle out of it, but once I had a WHM notice and go off for a minute explaining very condescendingly why I shouldn't use Freeze, and how using it makes the run take longer and lower DPS etc.

I'll let you guys guess if that WHM used a single dps spell the entire dungeon.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Gearhead posted:

I'm still somewhat confused as to how they're going to handle the Garlean problem, really. It's not like Eorzea can take them on directly. They're an industrial power the size of Russia or China with a LOT of experience in loving people. You aren't going to persuade them to go away either, because for them it's a systematic war on religion itself to save the world from superstition literally eating the world for lunch. The only alternative I can see is them accidentally activating some ancient Allagan failsafe that blasts the heart of their empire to kingdom come. (And Omega is in the wrong place for that.)

It's simple really. The Garleans are powerful but as the succession war just showed, they are not the Borg. Defeating them will almost certainly require provoking them to implode in on themselves. They are, after all, in no small part powered by conscripted labor from the conquered.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Gearhead posted:

Perhaps the lore bit that the Allag left a LOT of ancient horrors chained up all over the world is a nod to that possibility.

We've already stumbled across more leftover Allagan doomsday weapons than Professor Farnsworth has built. When the time comes to take on the Garleans directly a way will be found to do it.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

It's simple really. The Garleans are powerful but as the succession war just showed, they are not the Borg. Defeating them will almost certainly require provoking them to implode in on themselves. They are, after all, in no small part powered by conscripted labor from the conquered.

Ah, one little tidbit on that front: both Biggs and Wedge are indeed defectors from the wider Garlean Empire, and are both from southern Ilsabard. They were both "Aan", the lowest possible rung on the imperial totem pole and not even citizens. They didn't have a lot of ways to advance that didn't involve backbreaking labor that would mostly benefit their "betters", so when they saw the chance to bail with Cid, they took it.

Garlemald is definitely not a unified front, and as Yoshida noted, exploring the effects of occupation both ways is going to be a theme for Stormblood. Some folks have grown up knowing only Garlean rule, yeah - but the Garlean social system is also perhaps not the best in the world and there are definitely people empire-wide who wouldn't mind helping something better come to the fore.

Also, if it wasn't obvious, Biggs and Wedge are aliases - if the Garleans got wind of who they really were, their families would be at risk of retaliation. Cid doesn't have that problem because his family blew up at Bozja, and apparently Jessie's family is sufficiently highly-ranked that the Garlean government won't just tear them down to try and get at her (and she's pretty distant from said family anyway).

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

SpaceDrake posted:

Ah, one little tidbit on that front: both Biggs and Wedge are indeed defectors from the wider Garlean Empire, and are both from southern Ilsabard. They were both "Aan", the lowest possible rung on the imperial totem pole and not even citizens. They didn't have a lot of ways to advance that didn't involve backbreaking labor that would mostly benefit their "betters", so when they saw the chance to bail with Cid, they took it.

Garlemald is definitely not a unified front, and as Yoshida noted, exploring the effects of occupation both ways is going to be a theme for Stormblood. Some folks have grown up knowing only Garlean rule, yeah - but the Garlean social system is also perhaps not the best in the world and there are definitely people empire-wide who wouldn't mind helping something better come to the fore.

Also, if it wasn't obvious, Biggs and Wedge are aliases - if the Garleans got wind of who they really were, their families would be at risk of retaliation. Cid doesn't have that problem because his family blew up at Bozja, and apparently Jessie's family is sufficiently highly-ranked that the Garlean government won't just tear them down to try and get at her (and she's pretty distant from said family anyway).

Real talk, why the hell isn't Jessie around helping the idiot squad with stuff?

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Since housing's come up a couple times, (and since I'm gonna be waiting listed for the cool Encyclopedia, rip) decided to take some pictures of my Lily Hills apartment.

The apartments are really nice in that your teleport drops you right on top of a Summoning Bell and Market board (where if you teleport to a town crystal you usually have to walk a bit to get to those.) So it's pretty convenient for that alone. Housing dress-up makes me happy.

I went to La Noscea and caught that fish myself. :colbert:

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Real talk, why the hell isn't Jessie around helping the idiot squad with stuff?

She's basically singlehandedly running the Ironworks while the idiot squad are out adventuring.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

That and we don't need to actually take down the Garleans on a wider scale. I mean, it'd be satisfying if we did at some point, but strictly on the point of Ala Mhigo we're looking at a specific region and what's probably a relatively minor portion of the Empire as well.

I imagine the theoretical might of the Empire is scary but all those legions are off in a far-flung empire doing their own things, each legion effectively an entity on its own.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

SpaceDrake posted:

Exploring the themes of colonialism/imperialism and their effects on both the colonized and the colonizer? I love you FF14 :unsmith:

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Conskill posted:

That and we don't need to actually take down the Garleans on a wider scale. I mean, it'd be satisfying if we did at some point, but strictly on the point of Ala Mhigo we're looking at a specific region and what's probably a relatively minor portion of the Empire as well.

I imagine the theoretical might of the Empire is scary but all those legions are off in a far-flung empire doing their own things, each legion effectively an entity on its own.

So, essentially, how The Warrior Of Light is about to take an extremely enthusiastic walk through Ala Mhigo is, in small form, probably going to show us what needs to happen on a wider scale to beat the Empire.

Barring a Random Act Of Xenocidal Clown.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Eopia posted:

She's basically singlehandedly running the Ironworks while the idiot squad are out adventuring.

This exactly. Jessie was running the actual business of the Ironworks while Cid was missing in between the end of Legacy and mid-ARR 2.0, and Cid's been happy to leave the day-to-day to her while he takes on specialized consulting cases and the like (such as helping the Ishgardians with their airship, as well as helping us with Crystal Tower and Alexander).

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Fanfest was a blast. My voice is still recovering from the Primals concert. In the meantime I thought I'd share my thoughts on the event, since I know how highly this thread values my opinions.

About Fanfest Itself

Throughout the event, I was making mental notes of lessons to be learned for the 2018 fanfest. Dos and don'ts, things I wish people had told me beforehand. Among them:

• Get a room at the Paris. It's more expensive, but it's worth it. Seiferguy and I split a room at the Excalibur because it was cheaper, and looking at the map it didn't look that far away from the Paris. Only two blocks! But two blocks on the Strip is a lot farther than you think, and in the middle of the day it can be excruciating, even for a moderately in-shape person. It's also nice to be able to just go up to your room if you need something, or just want to get away from the mob.
  • Make sure you're on your roommate's reservation. This should be a no poo poo lesson, but I managed to get locked out for about an hour because of a perfect storm of stupidity on my part.
  • Don't let your friends talk you into a $30 buffet if you're not actually hungry. Again, stupid on my part, but more a general warning that everything is super expensive on the Strip. I'm going to be eating instant ramen for months after this, and not even the good kind.
Other than that I had a really great time. I mostly hung out with Potato Jones, Seiferguy, and Oneavi, and they were all great. Special thanks to Broken Dream (I forgot your forums name sorry!) for volunteering to drive people to and from the airport.

Keynote and Stormblood Announcement
  • STORMBLOOD
  • Everyone seems to think that the woman in the trailer is supposed to be a dancer, but she's using monk moves. Also, I doubt they'd reveal any of the new classes in the trailer, since they didn't for Heavensward either. That's also not Yda because she doesn't have the Sharlayan tattoo on her neck.
  • Dropping PS3 support was the most surprising thing about the entire event. I really wasn't expecting it at all, and I'm glad. The cheer from the crowd was incredible.
  • Adding more UI elements for class resources like BotD is something I've wanted since pretty much day 1.
  • I almost cried when they implied they were getting rid of fracture.
  • They sounded completely undecided on how they were going to go forward with raid difficulty. I hope they don't add a third difficulty tier, I think that would just make the whole system even more bloated.

Piano Concert
  • Susan Calloway was great, as was the pianist who's name I forgot. I think Dragonsong was better than Answers here, but I think that's because Answers really loses a lot without an orchestra and choir.
  • The sound sounded a little off, but I'm not a sound guy so I can't really put a finger on it.
  • Soken performing the Amdapor theme with a toy piano and a kickbox was amazing.
  • Everyone looked away when the video showed the Dragon's Gaze during the performance of Heroes.

Lore Panel
  • This was mostly Q&A, and god drat were a lot of these questions dumb. HURR DURR IS ALPHINAUD HALF LALAFELL HURR
  • There are a lot of Undertale fans on the localization staff.
  • The dueling circle question was also dumb, but the response was worth it.
  • Koji's explanation of the lyrics of Equilibrium was really cool. Though it got me wondering: why would the Meracydians worship a deity who told people to kill their families and themselves whenever another family member died? Is that how Meracydia was conquered?
  • Having a lot of the answers be "buy the lore book that is already sold out" was pretty lovely.
  • I'm looking forward to this New Year's event. Hopefully Hunbecrt Longhaft will be involved.

Live Letter
  • Another Q&A, with a lot more stupid questions. Stupid Idiot: CAN YOU TAKE THE RNG OUT OF WONDROUS TAILS I WANT ALL THE THINGS. Yoshi: No.
  • I actually don't remember much else from this as I was only half awake at this point.

Primals Concert
  • gently caress YOU TITAN
  • To be perfectly honest this was pretty disappointing. The sound was poorly balanced (again, not a sound guy, but I overheard a lot of people saying this), and they played Sephirot's theme twice for whatever reason.
  • The crowd really wanted to hear Brute Justice and Oblivion. The former needs brass and the latter needs a female singer, but they probably could have gotten around both of those issues. Hopefully we'll hear them in 2018.
  • I'm glad most of the front row stood up during the concert, but everyone behind me stayed seated. They should have removed the chairs from the very front.

Pictures

Thanks for the memories!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

Lore Panel
[*]Koji's explanation of the lyrics of Equilibrium was really cool. Though it got me wondering: why would the Meracydians worship a deity who told people to kill their families and themselves whenever another family member died? Is that how Meracydia was conquered?

I don't think the Goddess made that command just because the father died, but because the father died and the mother had become abusive.

The suicide then becomes a twisted sort of mercy. The daughter has done what is "necessary" but cannot possibly have a heart of harmony after doing what she did.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Nice condoms

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Fister Roboto posted:

Lore Panel
  • This was mostly Q&A, and god drat were a lot of these questions dumb. HURR DURR IS ALPHINAUD HALF LALAFELL HURR

Given how somehow 90% of the questions came from Hyperion and they all seemed to be on the level of "Can we have this one specific mount or outfit?" I would just like to take this opportunity to apologise to everyone for my server making GBS threads up a potentially good Q&A session. I was burying my head in my hands after not very long into it.

ActionZero fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Oct 17, 2016

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
I didn't go to the piano concert, but the Primals concert sound mix was really poor. It didn't sound like the drums were miced at all, the bass overwhelmed both the lead and rhythm guitar, and vocals were really low in the mix (except for stuff that was being lip-synced to).

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
of course the localization team is full of undertale fans, there's a whole stat called Determination!

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

seiferguy posted:

Yeah, I was completely destroyed by her fell cleave taking aggro briefly as Bard way back when. Rhiki is no joke.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I'll just concur with Fister's impressions of fanfest, other than to add: gently caress you to whoever set up the merch booth the way it was.

There were definitely sound issues, especially if you weren't in the seating area in the center. If you happened to be in line for the events off to the side, it was basically impossible to understand anything being said by the speakers.

There was an amazingly well made Ramuh cosplay that I felt was a shoe-in to win the contest. Unfortunately it sounds like they denied him entry for having a "dangerous" costume, since he was wearing stilts under the robe to make him taller. The winner with the dragoon esoterics armor definitely earned it though.

The proto Ultima fight was really fun, if kind of easy. Maybe they'll find a way to add it to the main game somehow.

My friends grabbed a room just two blocks away, east of Hilton Grand Vacations (the hotel that looks like a tryhard gamer PC tower). Walking back and forth was definitely not good for my back. Also, walking behind hotels subjects you to random clouds of sewer smell. That's a lot of buffet dinners and lots of old people eating them, after all.

It being Vegas, everyone is already used to having people in weird outfits walking around. Nevertheless it was pretty cool to be walking down the street with friends in cosplay when not only did nobody hassle them, but several asked what they were dressed as or asked for photos with them.

Guy Fieri's restaurant was really mediocre for the price, and also I am pretty sure I have coronary heart disease now. On the other hand, 800 Degree Pizza was fantastic, and the PBR outdoor bar a bit south of the Paris had probably the best waitress I've ever run into. She knew exactly how to deal with half-drunken nerds and it was fantastic. The burgers were solid too.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The choices for the questions in the Q+A were abysmal.

There's no reason to answer so many housing questions, glamour, dye or other superficial stuff. Just discuss mechanics or content, what went right about 3.4 what you've learned from it going forward, talk about one or two new features and if it means it's 20 minutes instead of 60 so be it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Actually, on second thought, the woman in the teaser could still be Yda. If it was her, they probably wouldn't show her tattoo because it would be a dead giveaway. Maybe it will be there in the full trailer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
It looked like YoshiP got a bit annoyed with the housing questions, although I don't know if that was just a joke because he figured people wouldn't like the answers.

• Locked thread