Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Speaking of the keyboard, can I reject a bolded correction when I see it coming without having to hit space and then backspace to change it back?

As far as I can tell, nope! Before, you could swipe up on the middle suggestion for an expanded suggestion list, but they got rid of that to allow you to delete suggested words. Just gotta let it do its thing and hit backspace.

On the bright side if you're typing a word not in your dictionary yet, it looks like the keyboard will add it to a pseudo-dictionary for you so you can swipe the word later even if you never actually add it yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Wrist Watch posted:

On the bright side if you're typing a word not in your dictionary yet, it looks like the keyboard will add it to a pseudo-dictionary for you so you can swipe the word later even if you never actually add it yourself.
Noticed this when I was getting a bunch of all-caps suggestions from screaming player and team names in GDTs here.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

Hughmoris posted:

I finally joined the modern era and got a Nexus 6p. What is the best browser or combination for an ad-free browsing experience?

I go with Chrome and NetGuard.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Horn posted:

How easy is Net guard?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Wrist Watch posted:

Does the google keyboard seem...worse w/r/t swiping words lately to anyone else? It feels like it's been on a downwards trend for a while now, where every few words I swipe I have to stop and correct it because it thinks I swiped something completely different.

Yeah, plus sometimes it'll outright ignore swipes for words like 'was' as though it's getting interrupted, and sometimes it does weird poo poo where backspace on a word adds a whole new word for each letter of the original word you delete

I mean it feels less responsive than it was, but it has some really janky bugs too

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Hughmoris posted:

I finally joined the modern era and got a Nexus 6p. What is the best browser or combination for an ad-free browsing experience?

adguard

https://adguard.com/en/adguard-android/overview.html

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Horn posted:

I put NetGuard on this morning after reading this post. There has been a noticeable battery hit for me.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Well yeah. Your phone is running a VPN server that filters out the ads and then having all Internet traffic go through it. That's what adguard and netguard do.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
wrong thread nm

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Oct 17, 2016

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

GutBomb posted:

Well yeah. Your phone is running a VPN server that filters out the ads and then having all Internet traffic go through it. That's what adguard and netguard do.

Though saying that, I use the F-secure VPN app that essentially does the same thing but more privacy based than ad blocking (and it lets me browse SA on the work Wifi), and it's not even on my battery usage for the day

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Lowen SoDium posted:

I put NetGuard on this morning after reading this post. There has been a noticeable battery hit for me.

Just so you know that because of the way Android's VPN service works, the battery usage for network traffic in all apps is attributed to NetGuard in the battery stats instead of to each individual app.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Thermopyle posted:

Just so you know that because of the way Android's VPN service works, the battery usage for network traffic in all apps is attributed to NetGuard in the battery stats instead of to each individual app.

Whilst I'm not doubting you, how come my VPN isnt anywhere on my battery stats?

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Using a VPN for adblock is dumb, just use AdAway.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

adaway requires root while VPN doesn't

if you have root tho def use adaway

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah, it even warns you as much. But even still, I am at 70% battery and the phone has been in my pocket almost all day. On a day like today, I would have more than this left at the end of the day.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Skarsnik posted:

Whilst I'm not doubting you, how come my VPN isnt anywhere on my battery stats?

I'm not exactly clear on this, but I think there's a way to implement VPN services that don't use Android's built-in VPN service and it's Android's built-in VPN service that works the way I mentioned.

pee out my butt posted:

Alternatively, rooting your phone is dumb?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

I'm not exactly clear on this, but I think there's a way to implement VPN services that don't use Android's built-in VPN service and it's Android's built-in VPN service that works the way I mentioned.

Yeah, the built in VPN functionality falls under "Android System" or something I think

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yeah, the built in VPN functionality falls under "Android System" or something I think

That'd be it, i've got a little usage on that

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

pee out my butt posted:

A relevant comment you made in the Windows thread, and drat the consequences:

pee out my butt posted:

Just because your dumb use case does exist doesn't mean it should exist.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

So I can't believe I never actually used NetGuard before. It's pretty cool just to see what all your apps are doing. The ad-blocking is a nice bonus.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Lowen SoDium posted:

That's why I recommended Firefox+uBlock instead of a full-device firewall/proxy based ad blocker. The battery cost and lag isn't worth it for me, and in-browser blockers work on more complex rule sets than a simple IP/domain based blocker can.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice
Each method has pros and cons. I like system wide ad blocking and using chrome so I can put up with the battery hit.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

So this is weird. My GF has an iPhone and I have Android, and for the last couple of days Google Maps will only give us directions for the bus, not the underground, even if you specify underground in options. Is this a Hong Kong only thing?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Is there a way to stop Android Pay from pushing notifications that tell you you're near a business that accepts it? I don't want to turn off notifications or location services for the app altogether but the "advertising" ones are distracting.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Party Boat posted:

Is there a way to stop Android Pay from pushing notifications that tell you you're near a business that accepts it? I don't want to turn off notifications or location services for the app altogether but the "advertising" ones are distracting.

Yes, it's one of the four options in the settings menu.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Weird, I couldn't find the settings menu earlier, just settings for the current card. I'm an idiot, thanks!

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

Alan_Shore posted:

So this is weird. My GF has an iPhone and I have Android, and for the last couple of days Google Maps will only give us directions for the bus, not the underground, even if you specify underground in options. Is this a Hong Kong only thing?

This is a backend issue (hitting maps.google.com too), filed a bug and it should hopefully get fixed soon (next day or two, probably).

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Axel Rhodes Scholar posted:

This is a backend issue (hitting maps.google.com too), filed a bug and it should hopefully get fixed soon (next day or two, probably).

Awesome, thanks!

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Google just released their own wallpaper app.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Is there a way to have my phone automatically switch profiles (toggle off sound, wifi, bluetooth) on the basis of on my current location, without giving my home address to anybody who doesn't already know it? In other words, using only apps that are either made by Google or open source?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

NihilCredo posted:

Is there a way to have my phone automatically switch profiles (toggle off sound, wifi, bluetooth) on the basis of on my current location, without giving my home address to anybody who doesn't already know it? In other words, using only apps that are either made by Google or open source?

Yes, Tasker can do this.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Does anyone know where gReader stores its settings backup file? I can't find wherever it stored itself.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

hooah posted:

Does anyone know where gReader stores its settings backup file? I can't find wherever it stored itself.

Internal Storage/GReader/Backup

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Internal Storage/GReader/Backup

That's the first place I looked, but I don't have a GReader directory. Guess I'll try again and see if something just went awry the first time?

Edit: sure enough, now I have such a directory with two backups. :wtf:

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What's the prefered password manager these days?

Things I want: autofill into apps via some non-terrible UI, syncing and autofill on Windows (IE+Chrome) and Mac (Chrome), and not having to micromanage moving the password database around myself.

I've used Lastpass in the past but to be quite honest I don't really trust them to not lose all my poo poo. Anything better? Paid is fine - 12 a year for Lastpass seems a bit steep but I'll mostly decide based on features and ease-of-use rather than price.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I use KeePass on Windows, Google Drive to sync the db, and Keepass2android on my phone. It works perfectly and there's no micromanaging. Save the db to your cloud storage folder once and never fiddle with it again.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I use lastpass for not-real-important stuff like forums passwords. Keepass for other stuff. Either works, but lastpass is better at auto-prompting and filling in apps and on my desktop.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Tunga posted:

I've used Lastpass in the past but to be quite honest I don't really trust them to not lose all my poo poo.

By "lose all my poo poo" are you referring to them just deleting the database and you not having access anymore or are you afraid of a breach?

If it's the latter, Lastpass's method for storage and access is about as secure as they come. DB is encrypted only locally and the key is only stored locally. Any compromise of the cloud system can only get the encrypted DB and the salted hash of the master password. So, as long as your master password is sufficiently complex, there shouldn't be an issue.

So, to compromise your Lastpass password vault, someone would have to breach the system, get both the password DB, the salt, as well as the salted hashed password for logging in, compromise the hashing algorithm to create the salted and hashed password, use that algorithm and salts to brute force the master password, then compromise the algorithm used to make the decryption key, use the master password to generate the key, and THEN unlock the password DB.

They would also have to do all of this before the breach is detected and Lastpass advises everyone to change both their master password and all the passwords in their vault with new randomized passwords.

Any other rube goldberg method of password storage and syncing is far less secure.

If you are worried about the former (actual loss of all the passwords), export them periodically, print them, and put them in a fire safe or a safety deposit box. You're better off though just making sure all the various password recovery methods are up to date so you can reset the password if you lose it.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

I just use LastPass, it's nice and I like their auto fill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I use LastPass, but don't check option to save the password. It always asks me to scan my fingerprint, then enter my password.

Is it safe to just have it remember my password in the Android app? The extra step is annoying and I keep a pattern lock/fingerprint lock on the phone itself, but I'm still worried about a random person getting into the vault.

I think I should just not worry about it seeing as if you get into my phone, you have full access to my Gmail account, making cracking LastPass redundant.

TwistedNails posted:

I just use LastPass, it's nice and I like their auto fill.

There's a lot of sites that just don't work right with LastPass, at least automatically. The ones that have a pop up window that you need to fill out always fail for me. I can deal with it, but my parents just get frustrated when that happens and five up. Still, better than them using really insecure passwords everywhere.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Oct 22, 2016