Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.

Fat Samurai posted:

I have the feeling that deckbuilding is going to be less important compared to ESDLA. Only 59 player cards (some of which are exclusive to some heroes) are quite less than what I was expecting.

Yea figure 5 new investigators means 15 of those players cards are for the investigators. Which leaves 44 so 22 new cards total.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

I'm trying to tally how many hero cards died as a result of the LOTR Saga quests, not counting The Hobbit. Am I missing someone?

Gandalf (revived)
Boromir (fallen into evil)
Denethor (death more reflective of his ally card version)
Dunhere
Halbarad
Haldir (in the film)
Hama
Hirluin the Fair
Theoden

Brand and Dain at Erebor, which might be a quest
Grima during Scouring, a likely quest
Theodred dies in a non-quest

Baron Porkface fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Sep 11, 2016

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Hey, my gf and I are getting ready to start the LotR LCG after reccomendations from this forum. I got a used set that had a core set, the first three Mirkwood adventure packs and The Black Riders. I've tried to put two decks together, a hobbit deck and a spirit/tactics deck. Here they are. What do you think? Any ideas? Is there a better way to do this? (specifically sharing decks)

Fritzler fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Sep 13, 2016

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Go buy the Dead Marshes for Fast Hitch to add to the Hobbit deck, if you can.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008

Fritzler posted:

Is there a better way to do this? (specifically sharing decks)

http://ringsdb.com/ is the deckbuilding site of choice. After signing up you can go to My Collection -> Adventure Packs to mark what you own so it's easier to build.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Amoeba102 posted:

Go print Fast Hitch to add to the Hobbit deck, if you can.

Don't buy expansion packs just for a couple of players cards, it's a complete waste of money.

No one cares if you proxy in a co-op/solo game.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

OK, probably won't print cards for our first couple of times, but we would finish off the Mirkwood adventure cycle next if we like it, so I'll keep an eye out for that. Any other comments? With the spirit/tactics deck I felt like I was just throwing cards in at the end.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Man, I think the worst part of Conquest's run being cut short is that it left the Deep Strike mechanic really half baked. It doesn't really have much bluff component, so now its just delayed summons for cheap prices.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Well now we don't have to wonder what L5R is taking the place of next year!

So hype for L5R

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Can anyone do a writeup of the state of Conquest at the end of its life? I last really played just before Necrons.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

It's dead after this year.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Max posted:

It's dead after this year.

I think he's asking for someone do talk about where the game is at, after the last pack releases and Worlds have finished. What factions look like at the end, general state of balance, etc. Presumably wondering if it's worth it to buy the last cycle if he's happy with what he already has or if the last cycle adds some cool stuff that certain factions need to become competitive.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.
I wish Conquest was givin the same chance Invasion was to release one last box the try and balance out the factions. Feels like alot of the mechanics and factions will feel half finished.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Yeah I've already bought all the stuff up to the last unreleased pack, just wondering how the game finished out.

e: especially Necrons, that one guy who can pull units out of the discard looks fun

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Oct 1, 2016

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

New LotR AP preview is up: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/10/3/beneath-the-sands/

Rider of Rohan looks legit af

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
When are we gonna get more Arkham Horror info :'( I need that release date

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

COOL CORN posted:

When are we gonna get more Arkham Horror info :'( I need that release date

Seems like right around Halloween release

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.
I just got into LOTR, with the core and the Mirkwood cycle. I hear Khazad-dum has some great scenarios but it is out of stock everywhere. Is there any chance of a reprint?

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
E: ^^ Yes, don't pay a crazy price anywhere. FFG does a good job of cycling through the older deluxes/APs and reprinting them. Check https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/upcoming/ for more information. Says it is on the boat, so figure 1-2 months.

My guess for Arkham Horror LCG is the week of the 17th, right after the Arkham Nights where it will be released first.
Oh my god I cannot wait though.

ChiTownEddie fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Oct 4, 2016

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

So, speaking of Khazad-Dum, it apparently was available on FF's site for a moment and is already back to out of stock. Miniature Market, Amazon, and Funagain show zero stock. Is there a chance that the online retailers are waiting for their shipments from FF, or am I out of luck until Fantasy Flight prints another batch? How long does that usually take?

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Fidel Castronaut posted:

So, speaking of Khazad-Dum, it apparently was available on FF's site for a moment and is already back to out of stock. Miniature Market, Amazon, and Funagain show zero stock. Is there a chance that the online retailers are waiting for their shipments from FF, or am I out of luck until Fantasy Flight prints another batch? How long does that usually take?

It is supposed to on the boat, but it better hurry up because i also need a copy..

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Ropes4u posted:

It is supposed to on the boat, but it better hurry up because i also need a copy..

FF's site has it "shipping now" instead of "on the boat" now, but there's no stock on the site. Though, "in stores now" seems to be the next phase so that gives me hope that there's still a chance.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
If it is in shipping now then it'll probably be available next week online.

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Nevermind, I am wrong. "In stores now" means available on the site and in stores, while "shipping now" means it is getting shipped to retailers. I thought it meant "shipping to people who ordered from the site now."

e: beaten

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Rules and Reference Guide for Arkham Horror LCG are up.

I hate having the rulebook in two like this.

EDIT: There is a maximum of 2 copies of a single card per deck. Less need for a second core than in LotR, maybe?

EDIT EDIT: Rules guide so bad it broke my link.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Oct 12, 2016

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Ahhh, so it's like Mage Knight where you have a tutorial book and then an awful hard to use "reference book". Got it.

Also, hahah:

quote:

The Grim Rule
If players are unable to find the answer to a rules or timing conflict
in this Rules Reference, resolve the conflict in the manner that
the players perceive as the worst possible at that moment with
regards to winning the scenario, and continue with the game.

Amazing

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

It's like every recent FFG release. Armada had it, WHQ card game had it, plenty of others.

It's not ideal because in most cases the learn to play book actively teaches you the wrong rules or skips super important stuff.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
A lot of people I know like the learn to play rulebooks but almost everyone agrees that the other books shouldn't be "here's what's missing" but instead be the FULL total rules, start to finish with everything that's in the LtP book, covered again.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

PaybackJack posted:

A lot of people I know like the learn to play rulebooks but almost everyone agrees that the other books shouldn't be "here's what's missing" but instead be the FULL total rules, start to finish with everything that's in the LtP book, covered again.

Yeah I actually like the split, but the reference should have both the term glossary and the actual rules laid out clearly. The learn to play rulebooks are pretty good for people who just wanna crack the game open and start playing since it'll walk you through things.

I AM CARVALLO
Apr 19, 2007

Head Kicker GOTY
Ah! My friends just picked up my copy of Arkham Horror LCG at Arkham Nights. Pumped!

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I AM CARVALLO posted:

Ah! My friends just picked up my copy of Arkham Horror LCG at Arkham Nights. Pumped!

Very jealous. When does it release for us less fortunates?

I AM CARVALLO
Apr 19, 2007

Head Kicker GOTY
It's still on the boat according to FF website. Hopefully this month

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

bleck.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman
At least full spoilers are available for the core set now: http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/arkhamhorror/arkham-horror-the-card-game/_/core/?sort_col=primary_id_field&sort_order=asc&per_page=100

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

COOL CORN posted:

Grim Rule

Amazing

Perfect. I'm glad they just codified the rule of thumb for LOTR

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
A friend and I played the Game of Thrones LCG last night. We're both Magic veterans, and we both were hooked almost instantly. The two things I liked the best were the plot cards making each of your turns play slightly differently, the different kinds of attacks (in Magic terms, it's like you have creatures with flying, creatures with horsemanship, and creatures with shadow, but it was really neat) and the different effects each attack had. Maybe it was because my friend kept a bad hand and I kept winning initiative rolls on ties, but I thought the challenge phase was really unbalanced the way it played out with one player getting to do all their challenges before the next player got to do all of theirs. I think a one-by-one system where the starting player got to initiate one challenge and then the second player got to do one and then back to the first player until all players have either done all three challenge types or passed would be more balanced, but I've only played one game.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

BJPaskoff posted:

A friend and I played the Game of Thrones LCG last night. We're both Magic veterans, and we both were hooked almost instantly. The two things I liked the best were the plot cards making each of your turns play slightly differently, the different kinds of attacks (in Magic terms, it's like you have creatures with flying, creatures with horsemanship, and creatures with shadow, but it was really neat) and the different effects each attack had. Maybe it was because my friend kept a bad hand and I kept winning initiative rolls on ties, but I thought the challenge phase was really unbalanced the way it played out with one player getting to do all their challenges before the next player got to do all of theirs. I think a one-by-one system where the starting player got to initiate one challenge and then the second player got to do one and then back to the first player until all players have either done all three challenge types or passed would be more balanced, but I've only played one game.

There are lots of situations where you want your opponent to do all their challenges before you do yours, the fight over initiative can get really intricate once you get deeper into it.

edit: I'm looking for some good articles about this that can explain it better than I can, but one example is that Greyjoy can get unopposed challenges through more easily if their opponent has exhausted half their guys attacking

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Oct 17, 2016

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

There are lots of situations where you want your opponent to do all their challenges before you do yours, the fight over initiative can get really intricate once you get deeper into it.

Absolutely. Here are some examples:

-You're running negative attachments such as Craven, Milk of the Poppy, or Condemned, and want the opponent to go first so you can ruin their expensive character. Doesn't matter if they go first if all of their good stuff is ruined.

-You're running Night's Watch and win through defense.

-You're running Martell and get lots of nasty tricks on defense; you need to be able to attack afterwards for most of them.

And so on.

That said, it's rarely bad to run high initiative plots, because the person who wins initiative gets to decide who goes first--you can ensure you go second if that's best for your deck.

sexart
Jan 5, 2001

Damn...I know alotta big words
I usually go second just so that my own freshly-marshalled characters can't be Milked or Cravened. Near the end of the game, it switches to becoming important to go first and dash to 15 power before your opponent can - many games I've had come down to who was able to do their challenges first that turn. But until the endgame, going second is almost always preferred.

Going first can be good in an aggro deck - use Ice/Seastone Chair/Spearmaiden/PTTS on their pivotal character before they have a chance to ruin your day. With the sneakier stuff like PTTS though, going second affords you a better shot at getting the event off after they kneel out defenders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

I'm running the Targaryen "choke" deck that was posted a month ago on the thronesdb site and it's pretty good and I go second when I can in it. Letting your opponent show you what they're working with, then dropping Martel attachments to limit their icons, let my opponent get his attacks off limiting his defense so I can get attacks through easier. Makes it easier to see where to drop Dracarys! as well.

My version of the Lannister BAMF deck works best going second, as well. Drop my nbamf or roar on their turn after they declare their first attack then plan my attacks and defenses after seeing the board state.