Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm not so sure Marvel's going to bounce back just yet. So far it seems that the current relaunch isn't going over that well, but I suppose we'll know for sure in a month or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

If there's finally a big reconsideration over events and relaunches, a tepid response right now might not be the worst thing :)

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

It would be nice, if only so that Marvel would actually let there be a status quo that lasts more than a year.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Rhyno posted:

Very few Marvel titles have digital sales that are higher than their physical sales. And they are also very hesitant to launch major new books as digital only since physical copies make up so much of the comics sales pie.
I guess in a way it's a little bit like the move from newsstands to the Direct Market. Although in this case I do feel the publishers aren't wanting to screw over retailers.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Teenage Fansub posted:

The Batman's Suicide Squad thing is coming up in King's Batman. Det is doing an arc around a gang of people crippled by bat-vigilantism or something.

I'd enjoy it if everyone was doing well, and it was good news all-'round. Apart from The Walking Dead, there aren't many indie hits right now either.
Marvel's doing okay. DC's just selling more, and I think a lot of DC titles are still fully returnable, so they're artificially inflated. The New 52 titles all sold really well for a few months, too. Though, yeah, Marvel would certainly like some of that pie, I'm sure.

As for indie titles, keep in mind the economics for them are very different than big 2 titles, so sales of 20k are a genuine hit and big moneymaker for the creators. Going with the August sales, that includes Walking Dead, Saga, Paper Girls, Kill or Be Killed, Spawn Kills Everyone, Black Monday Murders, Snotgirl, I Hate Fairyland, Outcast, Tokyo Ghost, and Briggs Land.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Roth posted:

I think a lot of Marvel's current readers buy digital and/or through trades instead of physical single issues, so that probably explains a bit.

Also, I don't get why Solo, Foolkiller, and Slapstick all got solo comics. Are they popular, because they've been really uninteresting characters in everything I've read them in so far.

They were good in Mercs for Money, though as I've ranted before, I'm not fond of them sticking with Slapstick's Civil War portrayal which is essentially the very thing he was created to mock.
Still looking forward to Foolkiller's book and hoping Terror still gets some love.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

irlZaphod posted:

I guess in a way it's a little bit like the move from newsstands to the Direct Market. Although in this case I do feel the publishers aren't wanting to screw over retailers.

Yeah. Despite all the hype of digital, without the Direct Market comic sales would be dead.

Roth posted:

I'm not so sure Marvel's going to bounce back just yet. So far it seems that the current relaunch isn't going over that well, but I suppose we'll know for sure in a month or two.

NOW is bombing super hard. Champions had the largest FOC cuts on record and isn't selling well at all. Not good considering it was supposed to be the flagship of the NOW launch. Mosaic was a bomb, Solo isn't good, Cage isn't selling because of complaints that it's nothing like the show. Only Jessica Jones put up decent numbers but that book should have been out six months ago to be closer to the shows release.

ANd yeah, Rebirth is slowing up a bit. But locally we're still selling double what we were on Batman, Detective, Superman, Wonder Woman, Batgirl and a few others. The only real bombs for us have been Cyborg and Blue Beetle. We moved over 100 copies more of the HQ and SS. Suicide Squad is selling SEVENTEEN times as many copies as New Suicide Squad was.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Oh yeah I read Mosaic last night and it wasn't great and felt like it should have been a mid-tier DC comic for some reason I can't quite put my finger on.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
My LCS had Cyborg and Blue Beelte DOA as well, along with Superwomen and the Superman title that's not Clark. The one that started strong but died pretty quick that surprised me was Flash.

Batgirl started strong for me, but as soon as they introduced MMA I dropped it like it was a paper bag full of spiders. I cannot think of anything that will get me less interested in a book by introducing MMA into it as a plotline. I was pumped for Birds of Prey as well, and I liked Batgirl and Black Canary in it, but Huntress was just terrible. She was basically the one from Arrow.

I really wonder why Marvel's Now 2 is failing to gain readership. I can only think that people are thinking "oh this is all just going to lead to the next event that will shake everything up again, so why bother?".

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

Oh yeah I read Mosaic last night and it wasn't great and felt like it should have been a mid-tier DC comic for some reason I can't quite put my finger on.

It was soooo bad. After all that hype, this hot new character's book debuts to dismal numbers. We ordered 10 copies and I think I still have s6 on the shelf.

trashbuilder
Dec 26, 2013

Look at all the poor opinions I have
All of Now 2's new books aren't very interesting (the continuing stuff is pretty cool, psyched for Ultimates 2) but remember Now 1, all the covers and books looked so... I don't know, new? Like even if you didn't give a poo poo about hawkeye the cover and art they showed looked great (Aja am i right?) all the art and covers for Now 2 look so samey and dull and I don't give a poo poo about foolkiller and the art isn't helping sell me that the book is going to be cool. Like Bagely and Bagely rip offs isn't gonna get me to add a new book to my pull for some C-List character. Now 2 is white noise.

So yeah that's prob why Now 2 is making GBS threads the bed.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I think NOW 2 just doesn't have that "oh poo poo, GALACTUS on a team?!" moment or the curiosity of how it's the universe remade by Franklin with promised changes like Miles moving to 616. Instead it just looks like a bunch of spin-offs of what's already been happening.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Foolkiller is a bad name. It was silly when he showed up in Spider-Man back in the day and it's silly now.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
https://twitter.com/marvel/status/788045836789936132

I need a creative team before I can get too excited for this, but at least Marvel is finally doing something about what's been incredibly lackluster LGBT representation for the last few years.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Oh man Mockingbird ends this week.

Barry Convex posted:

I need a creative team before I can get too excited for this, but at least Marvel is finally doing something about what's been incredibly lackluster LGBT representation for the last few years.

There's our first of the X-men solos that have never had a solo before i'd guess.

And yea, Foolkiller, Solo, and Slapstick are not characters that get people excited.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Barry Convex posted:

Hey the cover has some of his best moments, that's a start. There aren't that many good moments for Iceman )=

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Who the hell is Xiceman?

Ressuroion looks bad

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
At least make the slant angle of the X and the I match :negative:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

redbackground posted:

At least make the slant angle of the X and the I match :negative:

obviously this is subtle foreshadowing that iceman is leaving the xmen

or maybe he already did that, I haven't been following them recently

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Marvel is doing bad because they killed Cyclops. They deserve all of this.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Marvel is doing bad because they killed Cyclops. They deserve all of this.

An eye for an eye, then?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

They are slanted because he's not straight.

This is such a bad and inaccurate joke that I had to make it even knowing this.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
First issue better be titled "Ice to Meet You".

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

redbackground posted:

First issue better be titled "Ice to Meet You".

They have to be careful not to use up all their pun energy on story titles when the letters page will need a good name.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
The branding and logo design here is extremely similar to the Regenesis X-books from 2011.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Wait, Mosaic was 5 dollars? Who thought that would be a good idea?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lobok posted:

They have to be careful not to use up all their pun energy on story titles when the letters page will need a good name.

I think Batman & Robin showed us that there's no limit to the number of ice puns one can make.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So it's definitely teen Bobby starring. I wonde rif Adult Bobby will ever pop in and be like "for serious this should be my series."

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

twistedmentat posted:

My LCS had Cyborg and Blue Beelte DOA as well, along with Superwomen and the Superman title that's not Clark. The one that started strong but died pretty quick that surprised me was Flash.

Batgirl started strong for me, but as soon as they introduced MMA I dropped it like it was a paper bag full of spiders. I cannot think of anything that will get me less interested in a book by introducing MMA into it

I really wonder why Marvel's Now 2 is failing to gain readership. I can only think that people are thinking "oh this is all just going to lead to the next event that will shake everything up again, so why bother?".

I'd imagine that between a large part of it being continuations of previously running series and characters very few people care about is why it hasn't really gone anywhere so far. Compared to Rebirth which is largely old standbys with a few fan-favorites and a dollar less than Marvel, and I don't find it too surprising that DC is doing way better this year.

Also, as a side-note, I thought Great Lake Avengers was ok. I think I'm feeling fatigued on self-esteem comedies from Marvel like it though, because it felt very "Been there, Done that"

Roth fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Oct 17, 2016

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Lobok posted:

"Signed, Sealed, and Shivered"

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Rick posted:

Hey the cover has some of his best moments, that's a start. There aren't that many good moments for Iceman )=

What are they all? I'm not a dedicated Icemanologist.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Rhyno posted:

So it's definitely teen Bobby starring. I wonde rif Adult Bobby will ever pop in and be like "for serious this should be my series."

If he does they better answer no one cares bobby.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

twistedmentat posted:

Oh man Mockingbird ends this week.

Boooooooooo, booooooooooooo :mad:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Barry Convex posted:

whoooo fuckin caaaares

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Blockhouse posted:

hoooo fuckin caaaares
Working theory: the people who have already posted about the series?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So the internet tells me young Bobby but all but one image from that cover is old Bobby. Hmmmm.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Edge & Christian posted:

Working theory: the people who have already posted about the series?

don't be pedantic

For clarification on my stance since I know that's a thing you're into, Iceman has been a boring comedy relief character for most of his sixty year+ existence, there's no creative team or even actual art attached to the project, and there's nothing about this that makes me go "finally Marvel's stepping up their LGBT representation!" because A. everything about Iceman being gay has been handled terribly so far from the word go and B. it's not really 'stepping up' when you can apparently only have one book for a queer character at a time. Whoops, Angela ended, time to bring out the next one!

It's a non-announcement with nothing to make me excited or even remotely interested and I can't imagine anything less interesting than "Iceman solo book with no artist or writer" for an initial announcement for where the X-books are going.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Barry Convex posted:

[involuntarily shuddering at "ResurreXion" :pwn:]

Oh, I really Dennis Hopeless gets to helm this. He's been doing good with small Iceman in All-New X-Men. Also Spider-Woman remains one of my favorites.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I hope ResseurXion is a positive change for X-Men, returning them to where they were just so all the people going on about Marvel trying to kill them because of movie rights will finally stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

That might be worth reading if it's Young Bobby. And of course depending on the team. If it's Older Bobby, then I don't really care.

• Locked thread