Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Ümlauts anđ áccents öpp inn þiss bitzch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I got a quest for Immortality from a Strong Attractive Mystic Pagan who I proceeded to seduce.

But my rousing speech was a failure and everyone abandoned me :saddowns:

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Annath posted:

I got a quest for Immortality from a Strong Attractive Mystic Pagan who I proceeded to seduce.

But my rousing speech was a failure and everyone abandoned me :saddowns:

Honestly that one is kinda weird to me with the whole 'fraud' thing. How does the mystic being a fraud affect you giving a speech/trying to bribe someone unrelated?

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
After like 500 hrs of RIP I finally finished the immortality quest and it killed me and made a little baby version of me. Wtf

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I had the immortality quest pop up on my khan, but he had between 0 and 6 in every stat and just stared out the window while the council argued about what to do. Which is a shame, because if there is one government type that would be a lot easier as an immortal, nomad is probably it.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Is it still true that as a muslim I do not want to have any landed members of my dynasty? Other than my heir, of course.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

binge crotching posted:

I had the immortality quest pop up on my khan, but he had between 0 and 6 in every stat and just stared out the window while the council argued about what to do. Which is a shame, because if there is one government type that would be a lot easier as an immortal, nomad is probably it.

You seem to be overlooking the idea of the Everlasting Doge.

e: Death came for Niall Ua Neill Noigiallaich in the form of an itinerant nun with a penchant for chess. Sadly, Niall had a poor head for chess and a poorer stomach for daggers, leaving his son Aed on the throne at age 16. Barely a year and a half later, another itinerant nun with a knife accepted Aed's challenge to a game of chess. Thanks to a keen wit and a quick hand, Aed survived his brush with Death itself and appears poised to live a long and healthy life.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Oct 18, 2016

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!

Dallan Invictus posted:

"Council is not allowed to initiate voting" just means that your councillors can't propose a law on their own. YOU can propose it just fine if the button is enabled and you haven't changed a civic/religious/tax law recently (the cooldown is like...five years, ten years? I can't immediately recall.). allow_laws probably disables the cooldown anyway, but that was just my first thought.

Quick question on this. If I owe a councilor a favor for whatever reason, can they force me to propose a change they can't? I always worry about that and try not to owe anybody favors as a matter of principle because the AI is a fucker.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Grizzwold posted:

Quick question on this. If I owe a councilor a favor for whatever reason, can they force me to propose a change they can't?

No.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If it says they can't, it literally means they can't by favor.

Councillors with favors with an empowered council are the loving worst though because they can and will ruin your perfect obligation laws or roll back liege privileges.

Or occasionally adjust obligations for tribals in a feudal country. That seems like a bug, but hey, you can occasionally dodge bullets.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Death killed my rear end in chess last night...but I finally got to unify Ireland by my third ruler. It felt really awesome. I know it's tutorial island...but until recently I used to only like playing a ruler or two tops. I've finally started trying to play with a longer road plan and it's immensely satisfying.

At what point do you get De Jure claim on neighbors? I didn't for the start of my Ireland playthrough...but midway and possibly after becoming Queen of Ireland I'd just get a default de Jure on my neighbors.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
You get De Jure claims on anything within your De Jure territory. As queen of Ireland, all of Ireland is rightfully yours, so you get a claim.

Succession shenanigans can also give you de jure claims. I don't know all the rules, but pretenders to the throne can have and pass on claims.

Your chancellor can fabricate de jure claims as well.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

You get De Jure claims on anything within your De Jure territory. As queen of Ireland, all of Ireland is rightfully yours, so you get a claim.

Succession shenanigans can also give you de jure claims. I don't know all the rules, but pretenders to the throne can have and pass on claims.

Your chancellor can fabricate de jure claims as well.

Ah I see. I've always been used to having to use my chancellor to do it. Now I understand why getting a title is so sweet when you don't have all the land yet.

Oh and does anyone know how tech works? I mean I get this level allows this...but just how does it gain levels and how can you influence it?

Can anyone recommend a beginner place after doing Ireland?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Before you get war happy it should be noted it if you are the Irish culture holder of the crown, you can just ask everyone in Ireland to swear fealty to you and they will usually do so if they don't hate your guts for other reasons. That's the greatly preferred avenue because you get to skip "was at war with" malus to relations because a de jure claim cassus belli victory slots the enemy into your court at the relevant level.

Fabricating claims is different. That's just a vanilla claim. Same for inheriting claims When pressing a vanilla claim, you strip the enemy of that title and take it for the claimant.

The de jure system helps keep duchies and kingdoms unified across subsequent rebellions or title destructions. You're basically reminding the enemy that you are their rightful sovereign, like a civil war some times removed. Title claims are aiming to prove you are the rightful title holder and will strip the enemy of it.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

gfanikf posted:

Ah I see. I've always been used to having to use my chancellor to do it. Now I understand why getting a title is so sweet when you don't have all the land yet.

Oh and does anyone know how tech works? I mean I get this level allows this...but just how does it gain levels and how can you influence it?

Tech slowly grows based off of your learning stat, and spreads to neighboring counties by *magic*. Councillors can also increase it with some of their tasks. Winning battles also increases war tech points.

If you've got the DLC, viking age Harold Fairhair is a good intro to tribes and raiding mechanics. He's a big land holder in Norway, and is in good position to take over Norway and reform the faith.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The practical extent of technology is the following loop:
make sure your ruler stats are good (duh)
spend points when you got points. this improves capital tech and it will spread around like magic
when you're rich, build the good learning buildings (duh)
if you aren't worried about plots at home and don't mind if your spymaster loses his nuts or eyes, send him to the techiest place around (usually Constantinople). if you ever feel behind your peers, send your spymaster a' stealin'

An early game scheme would be to invade some tech-haver and move your capital there but there's only a handful of uses for that. Between the sort of ruler breeding the average player aims for, and sending your spymaster out stealing, your capital is going to be state of the art in a century or two even if you start as dirt farmers.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

gfanikf posted:

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Tech slowly grows based off of your learning stat, and spreads to neighboring counties by *magic*. Councillors can also increase it with some of their tasks. Winning battles also increases war tech points.

Tech also grows based on Martial, Stewardship, and Diplomacy, but each of those stats only applies to one category (military, economic, cultural, respectively), while learning applies fully to every category. It's additive, though, so higher stats are always better. It also depends on your rank - counts don't generate any tech points, while each rank above that generates more - being a king gives a 20% bonus, emperor 40%.

The main thing to know about technology is that it mostly doesn't matter - there are a few key techs that are important and the rest are just incremental bonuses that are nice to have. Under military the only really important tech is military organization. For the others you want to make sure you're at least up to par but there's no need to push them to get ahead. Most of the economy techs are important since they unlock new tiers of buildings, with the exception of trade practices which is THE most important tech if you're a merchant republic, but mostly pointless if you aren't. Construction doesn't matter too much (it's more useful with Reaper's Due since hospital buildings are tied to construction tech). Cultural techs are all just "nice to have" things, none of them are too vital. You need tolerance if you want to improve women's rights laws, and legalism is important for crown authority (if you don't have conclave), and tax/levy laws, but that's about it.

zedprime posted:

An early game scheme would be to invade some tech-haver and move your capital there but there's only a handful of uses for that. Between the sort of ruler breeding the average player aims for, and sending your spymaster out stealing, your capital is going to be state of the art in a century or two even if you start as dirt farmers.

Especially if you're buddhist. You'll be making GBS threads tech points even if your base stats are terrible and with a religious education you can easily break 20 learning.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Oct 19, 2016

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Always be stealing technology, since it gives a chance for +50 tech points in a category by event. Unless you're literally the leader in every tech category there's no reason not to get ahead with free points.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Jazerus posted:

Always be stealing technology, since it gives a chance for +50 tech points in a category by event. Unless you're literally the leader in every tech category there's no reason not to get ahead with free points.

And the best thing about that event is that it can fire even if you're only behind in a single tech category. I always ignore the Noble/Popular/Religious Customs techs, which means the event will keep firing until they finally naturally catch up with Constantinople.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Tech system improvements would be nice for an update but they are such a small part of the game I don't know what you would do with them.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Tech also grows based on Martial, Stewardship, and Diplomacy, but each of those stats only applies to one category (military, economic, cultural, respectively), while learning applies fully to every category. It's additive, though, so higher stats are always better. It also depends on your rank - counts don't generate any tech points, while each rank above that generates more - being a king gives a 20% bonus, emperor 40%.

The main thing to know about technology is that it mostly doesn't matter - there are a few key techs that are important and the rest are just incremental bonuses that are nice to have. Under military the only really important tech is military organization. For the others you want to make sure you're at least up to par but there's no need to push them to get ahead. Most of the economy techs are important since they unlock new tiers of buildings, with the exception of trade practices which is THE most important tech if you're a merchant republic, but mostly pointless if you aren't. Construction doesn't matter too much (it's more useful with Reaper's Due since hospital buildings are tied to construction tech). Cultural techs are all just "nice to have" things, none of them are too vital. You need tolerance if you want to improve women's rights laws, and legalism is important for crown authority (if you don't have conclave), and tax/levy laws, but that's about it.

Especially if you're buddhist. You'll be making GBS threads tech points even if your base stats are terrible and with a religious education you can easily break 20 learning.

Majesty is important too; it and Legalism are needed for emperors to get viceroyalties and Imperial Administration. But otherwise, yeah, you don't need Cultural techs; Legalism 4+, Majesty 5, and Tolerance 6 (if you want full rights for women) are the goals there. If you have Conclave, I mean; I think without it it's different, but, it's been a while since I played without Conclave so I don't remember.

Trade Practices is nice for people on the Silk Road as well as merchant republics, but they don't need it that high since you probably won't own really long stretches of it.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Ohhh man, South America is so ignored in After the End. Now one county has plain disappeared (how does that even happen??) and you still can't train war elephants in the jungle. Christ.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

darkrenown, related to your recent DD, having a way to mark certain decisions as important/unimportant would be so useful. On some characters, I might want to know the very second that a great hunt comes available, but don't care at all about grand tournaments. Being able to mark them to notify/hide would be awesome.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

binge crotching posted:

darkrenown, related to your recent DD, having a way to mark certain decisions as important/unimportant would be so useful. On some characters, I might want to know the very second that a great hunt comes available, but don't care at all about grand tournaments. Being able to mark them to notify/hide would be awesome.
I never knew I needed this until now; now that you said it I agree 100%.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

binge crotching posted:

Fully agree, only limitation is the time needed to add it, but I certainly want such a thing.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Ohhh man, South America is so ignored in After the End. Now one county has plain disappeared (how does that even happen??) and you still can't train war elephants in the jungle. Christ.

Which county? :stare:

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

So not sure if this is happening with anyone else, but every time my current game goes to autosave now it immediately crashes. Game was running fine until recently and only thing I can think that's changed in my game is that I swapped my lifestyle to Carousing.

EDIT: My game is an ironman game so unsure if I can turn off autosaves.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Skellybones posted:

Which county? :stare:
One of the new ones connecting a bunch of the mountains near the south. It exists, but if you hover over it, it just says "no character" and you can't travel on it.

It's apparently building things and because I subjugated it, the owner of the duchy hates me for holding it, so idk

The name was "igité" or something; it was near Bogotá at any rate.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

I'd like to get volume controls in the launcher, or at least the ability to turn music on/off before I launch the game. The loading screen music is good, but sometimes I've already got my own tunes playing.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Don't gently caress around with the Elder Gods.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I wish you could gently caress around with Elder gods; the S-African "religion" is boring as gently caress; I'm going to see if they reform into something decent and if not then I'm either going to go with Libertarianism/vanilla Americanist or good old Norse.

I'd be a pirate, but they are so empty of content too. It really is a shame, but thems the breaks when it's mods; you can't expect people to slave away on things just 'cause ya wannem.

And I don't really know modding well enough to do a mod-mod and add the only true religion that is needed in the post-apoc Americas

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

Are there any settings that give you notifications for when your children (or other family) have children of their own? It kind of sucks discovering that your son and heir has had a dwarf child for a couple years...

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Has anyone gotten antipopes to work in vanilla ck2? I have one, he has a county, he loves me, my bishops love him and send him their taxes, but he gives me 0. Church taxes are medium.

And Scotland and England hate him (I'm in Ireland and Wales like a baby) and sent like 20k men to bring him down, I think I'll just surrender because whats the point if he doesn't pay!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The point of antipopes is to press their claim on the Papacy and vassalize the motherfucking pope.

You have to be an emperor, though. If you're not an emperor yet there's no point.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Well, it still projects you from excommunication. But I don't think anyone even does that anymore, they just spend their piety on pope-gold.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

One of the new ones connecting a bunch of the mountains near the south. It exists, but if you hover over it, it just says "no character" and you can't travel on it.

It's apparently building things and because I subjugated it, the owner of the duchy hates me for holding it, so idk

The name was "igité" or something; it was near Bogotá at any rate.

I suspect that it might have something to do with raiding, and the raids destroying all the holdings, but I'm not sure.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Is it still possible to send my court Imam to try to proselytize pagan/unreformed religions? I don't see the option anywhere but it has been like the years since I last did this.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Doublepost: Also, I have all the DLC, isnt it possible for me to create my own Empire? I ask because I am having terrible trouble with my vassal limit - I am King of Africa, Mauretania, Andalucia, and Portugal. The empire of Hispania already exists and I cant kill them in any reasonable amount of time (too many separate wars) so I am stuck as a Quadruple King and all these Dukes are just too many for my vassal limit.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

The point of antipopes is to press their claim on the Papacy and vassalize the motherfucking pope.

You have to be an emperor, though. If you're not an emperor yet there's no point.

Ah, surrender it is, then. They can loving eat him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Doublepost: Also, I have all the DLC, isnt it possible for me to create my own Empire? I ask because I am having terrible trouble with my vassal limit - I am King of Africa, Mauretania, Andalucia, and Portugal. The empire of Hispania already exists and I cant kill them in any reasonable amount of time (too many separate wars) so I am stuck as a Quadruple King and all these Dukes are just too many for my vassal limit.

You have to have like 8000 prestige to do it, it's probably easier to conquer Mali because you just have to be king of mali and mauretania. You could also just marry for a claim to the hispanian empire and take them all in one war.

• Locked thread