Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Arcade Rabbit posted:

So I've looked at the rewards for killing Shambles and without spoiling anything, are they actually worth it? Cause they look kinda meh all things considered.

They're pretty good imo, but then the Shambler isn't that tough of a fight if a.) you don't do everything wrong under the sun like Highwang just did and b.) make sure to grind them all out on babby level dungeons. Which is why I think Highwang was dumb for ignoring the previous altars in said babby dungeons; that's far and away the best time to take him on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

R.I.P. Lucien Sanchez

"Are you all right?"
"Not really."

Edit: Lucien's last moments before the heart attack.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC9huoY2dMg

Tuxedo Ted fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Oct 15, 2016

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
I'd never bother with the Shambler outside of beginner dungeons.

You'll have the easiest time with it with a Leper with lvl 3 armor and weapons, damage trinkets, a Vestal with maxed AoE, and something like a Plague Doctor to deal DoT.

With a maxed out Leper(for beginner that is) Hew will instakill both tentacles every turn. the Plague Doctor can stack blights on the shambler, the Vestal can heal whenever needed and you still have another guy to whack the shambler with.

the Leper alone helps so much that I managed to clear three shambler fights in one dungeon, barely getting any stress.

The Ancestor's Map and the Ancestor's Candle are probably the best things to get from him, the other trinkets are kinda meh.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Tuxedo Ted posted:

R.I.P. Lucien Sanchez

"Are you all right?"
"Not really."

Edit: Lucien's last moments before the heart attack.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC9huoY2dMg

Ah I love this thread.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009

Genocyber posted:

They're pretty good imo, but then the Shambler isn't that tough of a fight if a.) you don't do everything wrong under the sun like Highwang just did and b.) make sure to grind them all out on babby level dungeons. Which is why I think Highwang was dumb for ignoring the previous altars in said babby dungeons; that's far and away the best time to take him on.
I take it the higher difficulty versions don't have their own special drops then, sounds like a missed opportunity.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Alavaria posted:

I take it the higher difficulty versions don't have their own special drops then, sounds like a missed opportunity.

Sadly no. One loot pool of rare unique trinkets for all Shambler encounters.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Last known words of Lucien, the Vestal, just before the fight that did her in: "Don't you dare listen to that voice. GOD DAMNIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII-"

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
New Update - Episode 23: Iron Chitlin as The Last Doohicker

This episode is me preparing for the Crew fight, confirming that the purity quests are worth doing if you time it right, and the worst referential commentary ever.

Also, once i wolf down all this lunch, I will get to work on all the info updates I've been slacking on for about a month.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Wang mentioning the Crescendo Box reminds me, man is my current run weird. I'm on week 60 or so, I've fought the Collector like 5 times, and found multiple secret rooms.

I have zero goddamn heads but every single music box. :psyduck:

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted

Attestant posted:

Wang mentioning the Crescendo Box reminds me, man is my current run weird. I'm on week 60 or so, I've fought the Collector like 5 times, and found multiple secret rooms.

Really? That makes almost no sense, the music boxes are much rarer. You sure you didn't get the heads and just have them on a hero you haven't checked?

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I unequip all trinkets after almost all runs, so I know what I have. It's just some bizarre RNG I'm having. Boy would I trade the -stress% box for any of the heads, since the -20% ring is a pretty common quest reward.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

The Flesh

The Flesh is the second boss fight in the Warrens, and its the closest thing this game has to a "Dark Link" style of fight. The boss has one HP bar that it shares across four body parts, all of which can also shift into a different form at random and can have redundant parts. In theory, everyone is viable for this fight because this boss is entirely RNG and you will be reacting for the most part rather than planning ahead and having a teamcomp that can guarantee victory.

The Flesh's four parts all have their own individual traits and possess one unique action that comprise the whole body's action economy.

The Heart

The heart is the squishiest target of the Flesh, and one your melee members will be hoping appears in the front row. From any row, the Heart can use Sanguine Stroke, which can heal a fair bit to the main body. Now unlike most games where you focus the healer to prevent this, you cannot willingly and permanently remove the heart from the fight , which is unfortunate. However, the Heart is the only target that has 0% prot among this cadre, so if it appears in the first two ranks then your melee team can easily out-damage its heal. The Heart also has astronomically low status resists, so you can stun it easily if you have the initiative or target DoTs on it specifically and watch as it stacks onto its next form. Its effectively the Flesh's giant throbbing weak point in videogame-isms.

The Spine

The Spine, in contrast to the heart, is the tankiest form of the Flesh, possessing both high prot at 70%+ and having a stun attack with Bone Zephyr to both damage your team and lock them down. The Spine is an enemy you don't want to attack if you can because of how futile it is. High PROT means your physical damage won't be going through, and due to the unique mechanics of the fight if he morphs then any -PROT debuffs are left on the rank rather than the form itself. His status resistances are not great however; he can certainly fight off a stun well, however he has low DoT resistances, so that is still a valid strategy. In all honesty though, Bone Zephyr is the lowest threat unless there's more than one on the field. Its biggest threat is the stun which gives the flesh other attack opportunities, but it doesn't do much damage on its own. One last amusing thing: Bone Zephyr can only be used in the first 3 ranks, so if one appears in the back then it cannot act.

The Butt

The Butt is the first of two offensive forms of the Flesh, and I'm hard-pressed to say if this is the worst form or the other one is. The Butt's attack is Undulating Invasion, and exists to mess with your back-row party members. This attack hits for a fair amount of damage, but also puts on a blight proc to further keep the damage rolling. Undulating Invasion also holds a high crit rate so you'll be seeing a lot of crits from it. Oddly enough, while the other body parts resist bleed more than blight, the Butt is the opposite in that regard so if its possible you want to blight other targets. The Butt has 30% PROT so its fairly tanky but is a preferable target compared to the Head and Spine. Stuns are somewhat viable and recommended on my part since I like my back-row buddies and don't want them butt-touched. There is one flaw to this form however, in that (apparently) he can only operate in ranks 3 and 4 and will pass if he somehow winds up in the front row.

The Head

The Head is the other offensive form, and probably the more dangerous form on average. Its attack is Maws of Life and it does a gross amount of damage accompanied by a bleed proc. It comes with 50% PROT so your front line offensive units will have a hard time cracking this nut. Much like the other forms, it posses less than average status resists so your stuns and DoTs are well worth it here. His moves can only be used from the first two ranks, however Maws also has the unique trait of having an off chance to attack two people at once. The Head is pretty beastly, and something you hope not to see more than one of.

Strategies
For the Flesh, really any teamcomp can work since you'll mainly be reacting to its shifting forms rather than using a uniform strategy, however there are several tricks you can do. The first thing to note is that this boss is marked as Eldritch, not Beast so an Occultist with his knife and nukes can do a fair bit of damage here. You want your front line relatively strong so they can take a hit from Maws of Life and shake it off. This boss was designed to accent the DoT vs Prot mindset, so make use of that; Houndmasters with Hound's Harry and Plague Doctors with both Plague Grenade and Noxious Blast will do wonders here bringing unaltered consistent damage. On the note of Plague Doctor, their Battlefield Medicine can stymie a lot of the status effects the Flesh can bring to a fight. A hellion is a personal favorite of mine since she can hit the heart from anywhere. Arbalest has that same position versatility, though they trade being able to hit rank 1 for having a psychotic amount of crit. Abominations have their chain to stun any threats and go beast-mode when necessary. There's really a lot of things you can do with how random this boss can be.

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016
RE: the pineal gland

According to Wikipedia, there's some vaguely occult-ish associations with the pineal gland - mostly "third eye" type stuff. There's also the HP Lovecraft short-story From Beyond, where a guy invents a machine that generates sound/waves/whatever that stimulates the pineal gland, allowing people to see alternate dimensions super-imposed on ours. It goes about as well as you'd expect for a Lovecraft story.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

The Cannon

The Brigand ##-Pounder is the second boss you can find in the Weald, and its a test of patience, speed, and (in my opinion) poor boss design. The main gimmick of this fight is preventing the Pounder from firing by killing its Matchman, all the while surviving the waves of reinforcements that come to help.

The Cannon itself will always use Reinforcements! at the start of the round, and he will always summon a Matchman if one is not present on the field along with at least one extra bandit to put on the pressure. Aside from that, it doesn't do anything else unless you allow the Matchman to live until his turn, where he will use Fire in the Hole! to prime the Cannon. Once that happens, at the end of the round one of two things will happen: He will attack with BOOM!!! for both a huge amount of damage to your entire team along with stress damage, or Misfire! where nothing happens and your team gets healed 10 stress. I mentioned the math in video but to have it on paper: The initial odds for Boom vs Misfire are 65%/35% on apprentice missions, 70%/30% on veteran and 75%/25% on champion. In all honesty though, you should never let this happen since the payoff is nowhere near worth it compared to what you get for failing.

Aside from that, the Cannon is a very bare-bones fight since you'll be more focused on controlling the mob in general. The cannon has a STAGGERING 70% prot with high HP for its prot value, so this fight becomes a long drawn out slug-fest as your strongest units do less than 10 damage on average. The Cannon also possesses full resistance to everything but Move, which makes sense however you'll have no mathematical chance of getting an anti-PROT hex out so your houndmaster and bounty hunter lose their defining advantage for this fight. Move resist means absolutely nothing either, since the Matchman can prime the cannon from any position so moving it or the cannon is an exercise in futility. If you focus on the gimmick of this fight however, the main damage output will come from either the Cutthroat wearing your front row down, or the Fusilier wearing down your team in general. I would highly recommend taking out the Cutthroat since an optimized Vestal can out-heal a Fusilier, leaving you to wail on the cannon at your leisure. Finally, once the cannon is actually defeated, the Matchman has one last desperation attack with Hot Shot, which is functionally identical to the Fusilier's Blanket Fire but much weaker.

The best strategy for making the Cannon a quicker fight in general is operating with a Mark team. Bounty Hunter, Occultist and Arbalest with a mark on the Cannon will make short work of the Cannon's HP while still allowing you to have good healing options and also have the versatility for dealing with the henchmen. Bounty Hunter is especially good here since he has a move that is anti-humanoid for the Cutthroat, and a move that can deal full damage range to rank 3 where the Matchman is more than often at. Once the mark is up though, you want your Arbalest to focus on the cannon along with the BH if he's available. The extra damage from the mark is roughly the same as how much PROT the cannon has, and while that's not how the math works (The damage gets buffed first with prot reduction soon after, so a 30 HP attack becomes 10) you'll still be doing way more damage and expediting this fight in general. Other good options are a Plague Doctor to stun any undesirables, Hellion for a versatile all-range attacker, Leper for just raw damage that doesn't necessitate a mark, or a Graverobber to exclusively ruin the Matchman's day and also have mark synergy. Really though, this boss is a slug-fest and not the most mechanically interesting thing, just shoot it until it dies.

And now for some trivia: The Pounder is the only enemy with the IRONWORKS enemy type. This is mainly for flavor but it also means there is no race-specific maneuvers geared toward him.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

The cannon is such a poo poo boss fight. It's not even all that hard as long as you can reliably murder the pyro each turn. It just takes forever to grind the thing down since you can do nothing but raw damage to it. Easily my least favorite boss fight in the game.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Highwang posted:

New Update - Episode 23: Iron Chitlin as The Last Doohicker

This episode is me preparing for the Crew fight, confirming that the purity quests are worth doing if you time it right, and the worst referential commentary ever.

Also, once i wolf down all this lunch, I will get to work on all the info updates I've been slacking on for about a month.

"steenkin' badges" is from Treasure of the Sierra Madre, Blazing Saddles was a reference not the originator.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Highwang posted:

And now for some trivia: The Pounder is the only enemy with the IRONWORKS enemy type. This is mainly for flavor but it also means there is no race-specific maneuvers geared toward him.

My favorite is the Hag's cauldron, which is enemy type CROCKERY.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Genocyber posted:

The cannon is such a poo poo boss fight. It's not even all that hard as long as you can reliably murder the pyro each turn. It just takes forever to grind the thing down since you can do nothing but raw damage to it. Easily my least favorite boss fight in the game.

It's a nice idea, but winds up just being tedious because of its resistances.

Looking forward to Chitlin's List of Things Wang needs to do.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Mzbundifund posted:

My favorite is the Hag's cauldron, which is enemy type CROCKERY.

There's a unique one that's my favorite but we won't be seeing it for a long time.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

Attestant posted:

The music boxes drop from fights with the crazy insane asylum dudes. It has a very low chance to pop up. Way to break the law of averages. Frankly, I'd rather have the boxes than the heads.

Edit: Critting on debuffs does not prolong the duration of the debuff. This might have been a patch from early access.

VVVV: I don't like the stress effect on that head. If I use a healer, the less I have to worry about them the better, so dodge and heal boosts are my go to things. However, if I didn't have any of the healing boosters I'd use it.

Krumbsthumbs fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Oct 18, 2016

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Krumbsthumbs posted:

The music boxes drop from fights with the crazy insane asylum dudes. It has a very low chance to pop up. Way to break the law of averages. Frankly, I'd rather have the boxes than the heads.

Well, except for Julia's head. Once I have that I pretty much never do a run without it on my healer.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Thanks for this LP. I'm new to this game (picked it up on PS4 about 2 weeks ago) and have been fumbling my way through it. Today I had my first ever party wipe at week 94... All level 5s fighting the 12 pounder (e: or whatever the level 5 version is called). The RNG just hosed me over - Iron Swan, Sniper Shot, Judgement etc. all missed, for three straight turns, so I just got cannoned to hell and back. First time I've ever been really mad at this game.

The Berzerker fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Oct 18, 2016

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

My favourite class for the Cannon is by far the Leper, he does good damage to the cannon without needing a mark and he can also just erase the cutthroat from existence every time he pops up. I have to agree with everyone else, this is easily the most tedious boss fight.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I just went back and did it with Vestal/Bounty Hunter/Highwayman/Houndmaster. Houndmaster marked the cannon and stunned the bandits as needed, Highwayman either killed the fuse lighter if stun didn't proc or did damage to the cannon, BH went for the cannon always and Vestal either did cleanup stunning, damage, or healing as needed. Took forever and I did get shot with the cannon twice, but RNG favored me for once - first time was Misfire, second time it did BOOOOOOM but the party dodged.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

They patched the cannon? I swear it was 200% debuff resistant before. So tyou could not mark or bleed or blight it. just had to ineffectually swing at it.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Veloxyll posted:

They patched the cannon? I swear it was 200% debuff resistant before. So tyou could not mark or bleed or blight it. just had to ineffectually swing at it.

It's still 200% last I checked.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Mark cannot be resisted by anything.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Genocyber posted:

until Champion.

Bloodletters with their ridiculous protection and those delicious AoE 40% crit chance cuts.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Tedious as this boss is, it does conjure an amusing mental image of an Occultist, a Leper, a hulked-out Abomination, and a dog all just wailing on a giant cannon. Bits of it slowly get chipped off, and the Leper occasionally punches out the guy who tries to ineffectually stop them.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
The cannon is the Darkest Dungeon equivalent of a car punching minigame.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Attestant posted:

The cannon is the Darkest Dungeon equivalent of a car punching minigame.

Oh, you had to punch the car? :doh:

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare
I honestly like the cannon to a certain extent. I guess I like it because it has a high potential for serious tension depending on what kinds of enemies you roll. The idea of knowing who to prioritize, who to stun, who to keep alive, is big reason I kind of like the fight. It gets more challenging on higher difficulties, but I will say it's not one of my favorite bosses. The Crew is definitely my least favorite boss, it's the epitome of sandbagging boredom. I think my champion run of them went to some cartoonishly high number of turns.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
New Update - Episode 24: A bottle of Rum and a Yo-Ho-Ho

Today we fight The Crew and show just how much can be done with proper team-comp, good preparation, and a *little* luck.

Also gonna try to get the info-posts for Weald and Cove up soon. In the meantime, might also want to post what info you want to see again because 30 pages of posts wow.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

:stare:

Decadent, you ARE good.

Also, thanks for bringing up Tequila. Reminded me to drink some while watching the episode.

Edit: Re Skippy/Leppy refusing to leave the brothel. Reminds me of the bad taste (also bad, as in unfunny) joke:

What did the Leper say to the prostitute?

Keep the tip.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Oct 21, 2016

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

If you want a Darkest Dungeon style RPG maybe look into Torchbearer as a base?

And yeah, you marked that boss before sniping the gently caress out of them :black101:

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Houndmasters get boosts to Beast damage on their mark damage move and Bounty Hunters get boosts to Human damage on their mark damage move regardless of if the target they are hitting is marked or not.

Arbalests don't have a passive damage boost on an unmarked target, but they get a damage AND crit boost against marked targets. This is why Arbalests work so well with Occultists, since the Occultist usually goes first and marks whatever target needs to die right loving now.

Highwang ran a variant of the marking team that is actually one of my favorite team set ups. The front liners are somewhat self sufficient, and the back line is very flexible.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
That was almost an interesting boss fight until the 40+ damage crit.

When you party has such high stress, wouldn't a camp to remove some before returning to town be a solid idea?

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Cassa posted:

That was almost an interesting boss fight until the 40+ damage crit.

When you party has such high stress, wouldn't a camp to remove some before returning to town be a solid idea?

Yes actually. A common strat among some communities is taking on medium missions for the express purpose of de-stressing people via camps and jesters. I *think* its been nerfed though with the actual release of the game however.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
You put the leper in the brothel?

They should have charged you triple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

Donkringel posted:

You put the leper in the brothel?

They should have charged you triple.

Well, I'm sure he left the tip.