Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

http://darksoulsgame.tumblr.com/post/151940526751/

"Adjusted poise values across the board. Poise is now more effective for heavier weapons and armor." :eyepop:

yea, I can't wait for enemies to all have ds1 havel armor poise

Glenn Quebec posted:

Dude. If this makes it so I don't get staggered like a bastard from knife swings, I will fall back in love. I could play fashion souls again without seriously hampering my character build.

wouldn't that be worse for fashion since as is everything has the same poise value

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
Oh man I bet Irythll is going to be super ultra fun now.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

DeathSandwich posted:

I'm thinking about picking this back up to dust myself off for the expansion. I remember at launch sorcery was generally considered lovely, is this still the case or did they get improved in the subsequent patches? Am I better off starting as a Pyromancer and just getting my burn on?

I'm about 2/3s of the way through a pyromancer play through, and I gotta tell you, spellcasting fuckin' clowns on bosses and encounters that gave me great difficulty as a punchman. because of the way pyro scales off of INT and FTH, you're going to pump one or both of them anyway, so having a sorcerer/pyromancer is basically a given. just take both sets of sorcery and pyro boosting rings, the sage's ring, and the fire & magic clutch rings, and swap out for whatever the situation demands. pyro is great for the most part for PvE stuff because the better versions of fireball deal more damage over a larger area, so you can tag multiple monsters with one cast if they're clumped together. i tend to prefer sorcery for bosses because the magic missiles home in on them and seem to have better tracking than the fireballs, because if the boss jumps or shifts left or whatever all the sudden the fireball you tossed just goes sailing harmless past them.

if you're playing for maximum efficiency there's not a ton of variation in what you're going to do - greater chaos fire orb and heavy soul arrow will basically be the two buttons you press for the entire game. the pyrohand doesn't have any other "versions" and the basic sorcerer catalyst is the best choice (unless you pump your INT to 60+) for casting; combined with all 4 ring slots being taken, there's not a ton of equipment variation for you to play with.

man, nothing beats just wrecking bosses that were otherwise cunts. GCFO straight merked Aldrich in like 4 casts with the upgraded pyrohand and all 4 damage rings; dude didn't even get to fire one of his bullshit arrow volleys. other bosses like dancer and NK don't really have a way to punish ranged attackers, so if you are good at playing keep-away you can chump them with almost no hassle.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

pyromancy is not sorcery. it is, in fact, way better than sorcery

I don't think your basic magic has changed, ie you need to go all in with int/the proper equipment for magic to be any good or don't bother at all. the options are pretty limited for a magic build but you can make a good one if you know what you're doing and don't mind being worse than a melee build for a while

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

Well, I sure hope they aren't retrofitting DS1/DS2 style poise, I love the "new" system. I just hope the stat itself becomes less useless. Like if you're wearing full Havel's with a greatsword you'd be able to out-poise less armored guys using ultra-greatswords and similar!

edit: It would be cool if a higher poise stat meant longer poise windows (faster startup, longer duration) for weapons, in that case I could definitely see the benefit. Still, poise is really useful as it is now

Jordbo fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Oct 17, 2016

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Manatee Cannon posted:

pyromancy is not sorcery. it is, in fact, way better than sorcery

I don't think your basic magic has changed, ie you need to go all in with int/the proper equipment for magic to be any good or don't bother at all. the options are pretty limited for a magic build but you can make a good one if you know what you're doing and don't mind being worse than a melee build for a while

if you start w/ pyro and pump your early shards into the pyro hand and pump your early attribute points into INT I'd say you're at parity with any early melee build. the RAW rear end gives you a melee option but your fireballs start doing decent damage almost right away.

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH

Freaking Crumbum posted:

pump RAW rear end

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Freaking Crumbum posted:

if you start w/ pyro and pump your early shards into the pyro hand and pump your early attribute points into INT I'd say you're at parity with any early melee build. the RAW rear end gives you a melee option but your fireballs start doing decent damage almost right away.

pyromancy is still not sorcery

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
Since I started using the Swordspear in a bunch of PvP, I've grown acutely more aware of how vulnerable a slow weapon without hyperarmor is, and I've definitely learned to not try to hit or trade hits against people with Greatswords when they might be about to attack.

As far as caster chat, yeah, Nameless King and Dancer are very sad if you shoot projectiles at them. I think I had a worse time killing the last Pontiff Beast in the reservoir than I did against Dancer once I learned to just throw bugs at it until it bled out.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Sakurazuka posted:

What did they change in No Man's Wharf? I haven't played the original version since it first came out.

Apart from what everyone else said, there's now a shortcut back to the bonfire. The enemies might be extremely aggressive now but the shortcut more than makes up for it IMO.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Chrysophylax posted:

Apart from what everyone else said, there's now a shortcut back to the bonfire. The enemies might be extremely aggressive now but the shortcut more than makes up for it IMO.

Yeah, the new shortcut is awesome. Makes the boss run not a pain in the rear end.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Manatee Cannon posted:

pyromancy is still not sorcery

it's not literally sorcery, sure! but, in practical application, the two are basically the same thing. you can start pyro to get the pyro hand, buy the baby catalyst from the handmaiden, and snag some sorcery spells from Yoel right after you kill vordt. both sorcery and pyro benefit from pumping INT, so it really just boils down to "which type of damage do you need to deal" because there's basically no other difference.

it's actually reminiscent of DeS where sorcery & pyro were the same thing, which makes sense because DS3 is heavily influenced by DeS and DS1. hell, with them putting the dark spells back into the other schools, there's even fewer distinctions between spell schools.

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.

Maleh-Vor posted:

Since I started using the Swordspear in a bunch of PvP, I've grown acutely more aware of how vulnerable a slow weapon without hyperarmor is, and I've definitely learned to not try to hit or trade hits against people with Greatswords when they might be about to attack.

As far as caster chat, yeah, Nameless King and Dancer are very sad if you shoot projectiles at them. I think I had a worse time killing the last Pontiff Beast in the reservoir than I did against Dancer once I learned to just throw bugs at it until it bled out.

Dragonslayer Swordspear does have hyperarmor on 2H R1's, like the Halberds with the Glaive moveset.

But yes, Greatswords and above will break it.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Maleh-Vor posted:

Yeah the pontiff croc zombie dogs are harder than some of the bosses in this game.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Whats the sweet spot for int and fth numbers when you're going pyro? Like bare minimum for the most amount of dope poo poo and trying to have points leftover to use cool weapons.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Azuth0667 posted:

Yeah the pontiff croc zombie dogs are harder than some of the bosses in this game.

Try bleed. With a +7 Sellsword Twinblades and Carthus Rouge, I just ran up to the one on the bridge and killed it in 4 L1s before it could get through an attack animation.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
Oh, I wrecked those dogs normally with a Raw rear end. It's just using slow weapons, that's difficult, and casting projectiles at them also seems to be terrible, considering their answer to being far away is initiating one of two or three different gap-closing charges and leaps that can outright one-shot you if you're still locked in animation. One of them even jumps over whatever you shot at them.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Adjusting the poise VALUE won't help, unless it's a value of the underlying system.

I set my poise to full 100% (it's a percentage) for trying to figure this out and there really wasn't a difference I could detect.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Some guy uploaded a bunch of information concerning the DLC, which is next week, I guess

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRqaNEBXLX8

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Weeping Wound posted:

Some guy uploaded a bunch of information concerning the DLC, which is next week, I guess

Excited for that dark buffing sword! Looks badass and has great range. Don't know about that miracle boomerang spell, didn't look like it did much damage. Maybe he just had low faith though.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
The crocodogs are very weak to fire and bleed so GCFO and Dorhy's Gnawing destroy them quickly.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Something about that video hurts my eyes after a while, everything seems a really weird washed out. Hopefully that's not an issue come actually playing in that arena.

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

There Diomedes aimed and stabbed, he gouged him down
his glistening flesh and wrenched the spear back out
and the brazen god of war let loose a shriek, roaring,
thundering loud as nine, ten thousand combat soldiers
shriek with Ares' fury when massive armies clash.
Excited for the gladius-shield combo. Vaati shows a bit of it in action at 5:08:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipMrAg68IMI

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Weeping Wound posted:

that seems pretty cool, hopefully you can get covenant rewards for playing the arena as part of a covenant

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

that seems pretty cool, hopefully you can get covenant rewards for playing the arena as part of a covenant

According to the vid I posted, you don't. Hopefully they address that.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

oh lame. that seems like a big deal since if people get into this, it'll be a lot harder to get pvp action outside of the arena

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

Hopefully they're working on it until the last moment, and it was just something they hadn't turned on or implemented yet, like with the poise update.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

From what I remember about Dark Souls 1 covenants and how they worked, such a thing is very unlikely.

They may surprise me though. To do it they'd have to assign a different connection type to each possible covenant with different rewards. Not hard, but they probably wouldn't think to do it.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Oct 18, 2016

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Welp, after watching that video, I'm definitely excited. I love me some throwing disc, javelin, gladiator style sword and shield, and LORE IMPLICATIONS.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

MarshyMcFly posted:

Excited for that dark buffing sword! Looks badass and has great range. Don't know about that miracle boomerang spell, didn't look like it did much damage. Maybe he just had low faith though.

They were using premade characters with what they said were garbage builds and were (mostly) using un-upgraded weapons and catalysts. None of the numbers in that video are going to be very reflective of what the actual numbers with a good build will be.

Maleh-Vor posted:

Oh, I wrecked those dogs normally with a Raw rear end. It's just using slow weapons, that's difficult, and casting projectiles at them also seems to be terrible, considering their answer to being far away is initiating one of two or three different gap-closing charges and leaps that can outright one-shot you if you're still locked in animation. One of them even jumps over whatever you shot at them.

If you boop them on the snoot you can riposte them which puts them in a vulnerable state (the whole "praying" state they go into). Booping is harder than it might seem however, particularly when the snoot in question is very large, very fast, and very full of teeth.

Very excited for the PvP arena, quite an unexpected addition. Seeing how popular the PvP scene became in the Souls series always made me think that someone should take it to the next level and make a game around it, so it's great to see FROM add a ton more support for it. It gives the game a ton of legs. Adding 4+ player modes is incredible as well because it will (hopefully) reduce complaints related to build diversity. Which was almost exclusively people trying to fit a square peg into a round hole and make everything work in 1v1 duels which heavily favor speed and reach.

Surprised to see people going so nuts about Poise in this thread, I thought how it worked had become fairly common knowledge by now. I doubt the changes will be anything fundamental, if anything they'll just further move the dial in favor of "Big weapon? Wear big armor." which is kinda neat because it gives Vig a purpose.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

AttackBacon posted:

They were using premade characters with what they said were garbage builds and were (mostly) using un-upgraded weapons and catalysts. None of the numbers in that video are going to be very reflective of what the actual numbers with a good build will be.

If you boop them on the snoot you can riposte them which puts them in a vulnerable state (the whole "praying" state they go into). Booping is harder than it might seem however, particularly when the snoot in question is very large, very fast, and very full of teeth.

Very excited for the PvP arena, quite an unexpected addition. Seeing how popular the PvP scene became in the Souls series always made me think that someone should take it to the next level and make a game around it, so it's great to see FROM add a ton more support for it. It gives the game a ton of legs. Adding 4+ player modes is incredible as well because it will (hopefully) reduce complaints related to build diversity. Which was almost exclusively people trying to fit a square peg into a round hole and make everything work in 1v1 duels which heavily favor speed and reach.

Surprised to see people going so nuts about Poise in this thread, I thought how it worked had become fairly common knowledge by now. I doubt the changes will be anything fundamental, if anything they'll just further move the dial in favor of "Big weapon? Wear big armor." which is kinda neat because it gives Vig a purpose.

Can't wait to actually see the difference in poise with my full Havel armor wearing badass character! Too bad I wanted really badly go to into NG+++ to get the dragonslayer axe. Hopefully the PVP scene in NG+++ is alright.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Tallgeese posted:

Adjusting the poise VALUE won't help, unless it's a value of the underlying system.

I set my poise to full 100% (it's a percentage) for trying to figure this out and there really wasn't a difference I could detect.

People already figured out what poise does. I don't remember the exact explanation but in general poise prevents hyper armor degradation. Without poise if you get hit enough in a short period of time then your hyper armor will have degraded and you'll be stunned when normally you would poise through an attack. Poise makes it take longer for your hyper armor to degrade.

And that's also why anyone that thinks DS1-style poise will be brought back in full is an idiot. Well that and the fact that it would utterly unbalance the game in favor of the player.

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Oct 18, 2016

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I think you're an idiot and I can dream of old school poise.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Glenn Quebec posted:

I think you're an idiot and I can dream of old school poise.

:smugdog:

MarshyMcFly fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Oct 18, 2016

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Stranger things have happened, right? No, maybe not...

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

If all it is is just more hyper armor protection then who cares, it already is barely noticeably regardless.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Tallgeese posted:

They may surprise me though. To do it they'd have to assign a different connection type to each possible covenant with different rewards. Not hard, but they probably wouldn't think to do it.

If they wanted to surprise us, they'd award Proofs of a Covenant Kept from invading as a bluebro. You know, like how you can get Sunlight Medals from invading as a sunbro. And how you could get ears from invading as a bluebro before DS3. That is, when blue stone matchmaking worked at all instead of failing outright.

Now you both get matchmaking failing constantly, minus the option to actively invade. In other words: lol not gonna happen.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Apparently the EU NDA was more lax so this guy shows off a ton of weapons and supposedly all the new spells.

WARNING SPOILERS: He shows off item descriptions, some of which are very spoilery. Watch at your own risk.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I went back to my level 108, Chaos Dark Sword using, GCFO flinging character I first beat the game on. 18/18/30/30 str/dex/int/fth. Still pretty good despite the nerfs! The Dark Sword is a fun weapon. I have loads of twinkling titanite and scales too, for any fun weapons that might be in the dlc. Wasted a lot of levels on the fashion tax though, but it's worth it for Faraam armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

I went back to my level 108, Chaos Dark Sword using, GCFO flinging character I first beat the game on. 18/18/30/30 str/dex/int/fth. Still pretty good despite the nerfs! The Dark Sword is a fun weapon. I have loads of twinkling titanite and scales too, for any fun weapons that might be in the dlc. Wasted a lot of levels on the fashion tax though, but it's worth it for Faraam armor.

Hah, I have a character with similar stats (35 for Int/fth). Guess 18 is just a good breakpoint for elemental builds. If you haven't I recommend playing around with the fire witch halberd (can't remember the actual name atm); it's fun to mix in sorceries with weapon strikes even if it isn't always the most effective.