Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prince Reggie K
Feb 12, 2007

I've been denied all the best Ultra-Sex.
Yeah eastern milksnake seems to be it. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Prince Reggie K posted:

Yeah eastern milksnake seems to be it. Thanks.

It's a baby black rat snake, homie.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

+1 for babby black rat snake.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Midatlantic region, with those colors and markings, and the size compared to the spider web? Totally a baby black rat snake. Real cuties. If you bother them when they can't immediately get away, they'll shake their tail which makes a rattling sound when they're in dry leaves.

gandhichan
Dec 25, 2009

There's a new terror of the skies, bitches.
AND HER HAIR IS PINK.
Does anyone here know turtles? We found one swimming aimlessly in our pool a couple weeks ago, and I don't want to torture it in a watery hellchamber if, say, it's actually a terrestrial species.

I took it to the vet yesterday, who indicated that it was Most Definitely a pond turtle that likes bigass tanks of water and basking on a hot rock. Some guy at turtle forum dot com says gently caress that it's a box turtle. What's the main difference I should be looking for in babies? Idk jack about turtles.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

It looks small/young. Is that the case? How big is it? Also, whereabouts do you live? That would help with IDing it.

gandhichan
Dec 25, 2009

There's a new terror of the skies, bitches.
AND HER HAIR IS PINK.
It's a super baby (the egg tooth just fell off a couple days ago) and about the size of a quarter. A pic where from the day we found it:

The turtle forum people say "yeah that's definitely a box turtle". Do they get the hinged shell thing later on? I'm taking it out of the water for now to see what kind of habitat it goes for, but when I asked the vet he said it was emphatically not a box turtle and not to treat it like a box turtle.

EDIT: Forgot to add, I'm in Central California.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Xpost from Critterquest:

the yeti posted:

I'd like a top down shot but that little dude does look a lot like a hatchling 3 toed box turtle. The cupped shell shape, dorsal ridge, and flared edge is characteristic of box turtles in general afaik. OP needs to tell you where they are and preferably post better pics.

E.g.,
http://s222.photobucket.com/user/shelledfriends/media/August_2013/DSC_0430.jpg.html
http://s222.photobucket.com/user/shelledfriends/media/August_2013/DSC_0425.jpg.html

I personally wouldn't necessarily trust a vet to ID anything unless they were enthusiasts in the particular area.

Edit: "Pond turtle" isn't necessarily a useful ID in any case; the Western Pond Turtle doesn't look much like this (and has a hella narrow range) and it's definitely not a painted turt, slider, or cooter. It could be a yellow mud turtle (hatchling) maybe, but again range constraints.

Edit edit: Wikipedia doesn't reflect this clearly but I guess there's a northern western and southern western pond turtle (loving lol) the southern species seems to be more similar to OP's turt but I'd still want to see a clear overhead photo.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

If you're in central California the only native turtle we have around here is the western pond turtle, however for it being that small the tail looks way too short, most hatchling turtles of most species have long tails. Given the short tail and that near-straight line across the plastron (bottom shell), that really does look like a box turtle. Most turtles' plastron lines are more curved, box turtles have a straight line where their hinge is/will be. I would guess someone's backyard turtle laid eggs and the young set out around the neighborhood.

Depending on where you are in central California, if you want to bring it up to the Northern California Herp Society monthly meeting on November 4th in Sacramento we have a woman who breeds box turtles that'll probably be able to tell right away. There's also a Central Valley Herp Society that meets in Manteca, but I don't think there's any turtle people in that group. I usually go to both meetings, let me know if you're interested and we can meet up.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Very much a box turtle. A bird could have dropped it in your pool (they do around here, at least until we drained the pool).

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
He's adorable!

This is Vicky, a Brazilian Rainbow Boa.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Snoodle finally shed for the first time.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

gandhichan posted:

It's a super baby (the egg tooth just fell off a couple days ago) and about the size of a quarter. A pic where from the day we found it:

The turtle forum people say "yeah that's definitely a box turtle". Do they get the hinged shell thing later on? I'm taking it out of the water for now to see what kind of habitat it goes for, but when I asked the vet he said it was emphatically not a box turtle and not to treat it like a box turtle.

EDIT: Forgot to add, I'm in Central California.

It looks like a diamond back terrapin to me.
Don't know of their habitat range. Wikipedia says it doesn't cover California, but it says that for box turtle, too. Can we get a clearer view of the back of his shell? If it's that young it will take a few days/weeks to get its coloration.

A sure fire way to test is to put it in a tank and give it a piece of tomato. If it eats it on land, then it's a terrestrial turtle. Terrapins need water to swallow, and should be fed Reptomin sticks you can get at any pet store.

Aquatic turtles also spend of their lives in the water. If it prefers to hang on a ledge with it's body submerged, it's definitely an aquatic turtle.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

UltraRed posted:

It looks like a diamond back terrapin to me.
Don't know of their habitat range. Wikipedia says it doesn't cover California, but it says that for box turtle, too. Can we get a clearer view of the back of his shell? If it's that young it will take a few days/weeks to get its coloration.

A sure fire way to test is to put it in a tank and give it a piece of tomato. If it eats it on land, then it's a terrestrial turtle. Terrapins need water to swallow, and should be fed Reptomin sticks you can get at any pet store.

Aquatic turtles also spend of their lives in the water. If it prefers to hang on a ledge with it's body submerged, it's definitely an aquatic turtle.
I don't see DBT at all. The baby's plastrons tend to be whitish with elaborate black markings, and every picture I've ever seen suggests they're born with their skin markings present (I've never bred them or anything, so no personal experience). They at the very least are born with their carapace markings, which are distinct enough that I feel like the OP would have posted a shot of if they were present.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
I used to let Buttercup stay out overnight since he usually just crawled under my pillow and went to sleep. But lately he has gotten into the habbit of getting pissed that I am sleeping in my bed and will bite the poo poo out of me. So now he goes back into his enclosure at night. I was searching where he was hiding today.

I don't even understand how he managed to turn himself around to get comfy in that dirty sock, but he did.

A Scary Little Dog
Mar 12, 2006

YIP YIP MOTHERFUCKER
Hector out and lookin' cute tonight :3:

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
/\ Nice looking. How big do they grow?

Artsygrrl posted:

He's adorable!

This is Vicky, a Brazilian Rainbow Boa.

Saw one in local reptile store a few months ago, they are beautiful.

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
A very pretty kind of snake, for sure. While my husband has raised snakes before, this was my first reptilian companion. Surprising to see how derpy snakes can actually get.

Loving seeing the adorable reptiles on this page - so many cute little faces. :)

A Scary Little Dog
Mar 12, 2006

YIP YIP MOTHERFUCKER

Binary Logic posted:

/\ Nice looking. How big do they grow?

He's a Sumatran short tail python, he'll get somewhere around 4-5 feet and 10lbs. Ten pounds of poop-filled sausage. (It's nice they hold it in for months at a time, but also gross!)

I can never get enough of his dumb little face.

hypoallergenic cat breed
Dec 16, 2010

Does anyone here breed their own feeder rodents? I'm considering starting a feeder rat colony and was just looking for other people's experiences with it. I'm kind of concerned with doing it ethically because of the intelligence of rats but I'm sure my rats in a small scale operation where I can give them one-on-one attention would be kept in better conditions than the ones from giant feeder operations where I buy my frozens. I'm most likely going to start off with just one male and two females since I only have three adult ball pythons. I'd love to see any rat rack set ups if you have them though, and hear any advice for starting out.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

My Ginger sure is pretty. :kimchi:

Just out of frame: poop.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I've NEVER seen my boyfriend's ball python do this before:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-w6OyWFGmzU

The self-dunking I've seen, of course, but him rubbing his face so hard against the glass was strange. I took him out and checked him over, and I see no additional signs of respiratory issues. Just a moment of odd snek behavior, or possibly something else? He does have a little bit of a wheeze, which you might hear in the video. He's ALWAYS had a very slight wheeze.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Yeah must have had an itch. My BP was on tv last night LOL.
Let her out to wander around and explore, then put her on bookshelf. After a while she decided to get off the shelf by crawling onto the tv. It's only about 1/4 inch wide at the top and I stayed on alert expecting a fall but she crawled all the way across and off the other side.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

my cat is norris posted:

I've NEVER seen my boyfriend's ball python do this before:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-w6OyWFGmzU

The self-dunking I've seen, of course, but him rubbing his face so hard against the glass was strange. I took him out and checked him over, and I see no additional signs of respiratory issues. Just a moment of odd snek behavior, or possibly something else? He does have a little bit of a wheeze, which you might hear in the video. He's ALWAYS had a very slight wheeze.
Took another look at the video in fullscreen. Might want to check out what appears to be bumps on the jaw. Might be nothing, it's hard to tell.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Binary Logic posted:

Took another look at the video in fullscreen. Might want to check out what appears to be bumps on the jaw. Might be nothing, it's hard to tell.

Looks like a normal ball face to me. So cute and derpy. I think they probably do this kind of stuff all night long and we just don't notice.

Check for tiny black specks (mites which also encourage soaking), make sure the snake isn't going into a shed, and otherwise I would say the rubbing is normal. Rule out mites and you are probably fine.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
The part of the head he was scratching looks like stuck shed or loose scales to me, but as I said it's hard to tell.

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Binary Logic posted:

The part of the head he was scratching looks like stuck shed or loose scales to me, but as I said it's hard to tell.

Looks like distortion from water droplets on the lens or side of the tank to me, but can't hurt to give the snake a once-over and check their face just in case.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I checked out the spots you guys pointed out, and everything looks okay! I think he just had a REALLY ITCHY eyeball or something. Either way, no stuck shed, no swollen bits, no weird discharge...he's just a typical, goofy python.

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
Vicky likes to smear boogers on the glass sometimes. Before her, I never realized that snakes could get boogers, let alone wipe them on the glass like a kid brother on a road trip.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I don't think they're supposed to. Are you sure she doesn't have a respiratory infection?

Eleven Eleven
Nov 12, 2016

Just got my first herp since I was a kid. He's a yearling Bloodred Corn Snake. His name is Muka, he's living in a 10 gallon viv right now and eats like a champ.

Edit: I'll post some pictures once I get image quality/sizing stuff figured out.

Eleven Eleven fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Nov 30, 2016

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Hey Herp thread, figured I'd ask.
I work in a chain pet-store and our ball pythons have been refusing to eat lately. Everything else about them seems fine; eyes are bright, they're still active, not losing weight. They just aren't hungry. It is winter around here though. Do ball pythons just not eat in the winter or something? (I would ask our vet but we no longer have an exotics vet in store.)

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I assume they are really young snakes and eating frozen/thawed? Balls love to go off feed. I would check the temps and humidity first and make sure they are right. Wait a week and then try again and if they don't eat for a few attempts, I would remove them for public display until they do.

E: They could be refusing for winter, refusing for fun, going in a shed cycle, or could be sick. You can't tell with balls, but yes some pythons also stop eating during the colder months.

HungryMedusa fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Dec 15, 2016

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

dovetaile posted:

Hey Herp thread, figured I'd ask.
I work in a chain pet-store and our ball pythons have been refusing to eat lately. Everything else about them seems fine; eyes are bright, they're still active, not losing weight. They just aren't hungry. It is winter around here though. Do ball pythons just not eat in the winter or something? (I would ask our vet but we no longer have an exotics vet in store.)

Baby balls are dumb as gently caress and why does my store have nothing but baby balls?!!? I miss my corns and red tails.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

HungryMedusa posted:

I assume they are really young snakes and eating frozen/thawed? Balls love to go off feed. I would check the temps and humidity first and make sure they are right. Wait a week and then try again and if they don't eat for a few attempts, I would remove them for public display until they do.

E: They could be refusing for winter, refusing for fun, going in a shed cycle, or could be sick. You can't tell with balls, but yes some pythons also stop eating during the colder months.

Yeah they're babies eating F/T. All right, checking the temp/H gauges when I go in again.

Soonmot posted:

Baby balls are dumb as gently caress and why does my store have nothing but baby balls?!!? I miss my corns and red tails.

They absolutely are but I love 'em. You guys may have just stopped selling the others; I know we have.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
I have a ball python on a month-long fast. Stupid fucker hasn't really lost weight, just is more of a pet rock than normal.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I freaked out when I had my first ball fast even though I knew it could happen. I had a few balls and they were pigs. Then one decided to stop eating for a couple months. It was a young ghost back when morphs were just gaining steam. I did all the tricks I could find and nothing worked. A live mouse I bought even escaped to only god knows where from the box I was keeping it. Probably it's great great great great great great grandmice are infesting that house now.

Finally the drat snake decided to eat a f/t mouse one day on normal feeding day for all like 6 snakes I had. I decided to try him and he decided that was the night. Sometimes they just want a month or two off for whatever. Maybe they are saving their energy for reproduction or maybe they are just messing with people. I have no idea. My worst now is a carpet python with a great pattern who I would love to see thrive. He eats at most once every 10 times I offer. That 10th time he acts like I haven't been around with a rat for 10 years. The next week I come by and he's offended I would be so rude as to offer food and goes into hiding.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Spaghetti was so funny on feeding night, Sunday. He was hiding in his wet hide, like he normally does, but I had the hopper bag sitting in hot water on top his tank to warm up after coming out of the fridge, so he was poking his head out. I dangled the hopper down with the tongs to coax him out, the wet hide is a zigguraut and I usually lay his feedings on top of it, but that little fucker just struck and dragged the hopper right into the hide!

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

How big is Spaghetti now? Pics? I miss my corns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
As long as my arm! He's also turning yellow?!?!?