Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

I don't remember if this was explained the last time this video came up, but what is happening here? Is there a strand of Evangelicalism where the ministers are throwing Holy Spirit bombs at the audience? Why is the one guy hitting people with his jacket? What is going on? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

System Metternich posted:

I don't remember if this was explained the last time this video came up, but what is happening here? Is there a strand of Evangelicalism where the ministers are throwing Holy Spirit bombs at the audience? Why is the one guy hitting people with his jacket? What is going on? :psyduck:

I don't actually know but in some circles fainting or falling down in the middle of a prayer is understood to potentially be a sign of the power of the Holy Spirit. I'm pretty sure that's a compilation of some more enthusiastic ministers trying their hardest to achieve that.

Such a belief tends to have every undesirable side effect you can likely imagine, though to be fair I know a few people who probably wouldn't be susceptible to suggestion yet have still fallen. :shrug:

Valiantman fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Oct 17, 2016

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Faith healing. It's real and it's a scam.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Why, it's the lovely Word of Faith movement of course! These pastors are slaying people in the Spirit to demonstrate just how well they can channel the power of God. If Benny Hinn can knock a bunch of adults over by hitting them with his jacket, he must be able to cure your cancer! Which he will -- for a price. Give generously! And that's the story of how Benny Hinn is now worth over $40 million dollars. Preying on people desperate for a healing miracle.

I posted this depressing documentary about the phenomenon last thread. It's not particularly well-made (seriously what's with those animated segments, it looks like a high school animation class made them) but it has a bunch of interviews with people whose families have been cheated by these charlatans.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
If you want to get really depressed about Christianity as cover for fraud, abuse, and brainwashing, read this:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3659026

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005

Mo Tzu posted:

Just got back from seeing what was quite possibly one of the best films this year, and quite certainly one of the most important. Birth of a Nation, which if you don't know is about the slave rebellion of Nat Turner, features some very important themes pertinent to this thread. It explores the importance of religion in the lives of slaves, both as a means for white people to compel slaves to obey their masters and as a call to liberation from the shackles of bondage. If you have read James Hal Cone, or anything about slave religion, I would highly recommend you see this movie. If you haven't, I recommend you see the movie and then do those readings.

This caused me to do a little searching and I found this interesting article: http://www.christianitytoday.com/history/issues/issue-33/secret-religion-of-slaves.html

I'm listening to an audiobook of the Life of Martin Luther and I actually found it kind of disturbing how the Zwickau Prophets and Thomas Muntzer foreshadow a lot of the personal charismatic experience. In the biography they sound like madmen wanting to throw out scripture and rely wholly on the leading of the spirit and I kind of wished they would get stamped out but certain parts of their ideas I think are actually important parts of Christian spiritual life. Also it caused me to look up where Baptists came from and I was surprised to hear they came from the separatists from the Church of England and not directly connected to Anabaptists.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Apocron posted:

I actually found it kind of disturbing how the Zwickau Prophets and Thomas Muntzer foreshadow a lot of the personal charismatic experience. In the biography they sound like madmen wanting to throw out scripture and rely wholly on the leading of the spirit and I kind of wished they would get stamped out but certain parts of their ideas I think are actually important parts of Christian spiritual life.
The only way you can tell, imo, whether something that is happening either to you or to a community is legit or not is if it's in line with religious tradition. If it's completely new, then you have a problem, and it's best not to say anything for five hundred years or so.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Despite being a baptist (probably), I die of second hand shame anytime I see someone writhe and shake for Jesus. It always struck me as kind of self-righteous to make a big show of just how much you desire to be forgiven of nothing in particular except being a normal person in front of crowded church. Teenage me always justified this feeling by pointing at Matthew 6:5-6, on the other hand I don't really want a clinical service either so :shrug:.
I'm not a big fan of the idea that man is innately tainted and has to beg for forgiveness in the first place (unless he leads a sinful life I guess)

Recommend me a branch that most conforms to my beliefs tia.

Man Whore fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Oct 17, 2016

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Man Whore posted:

Despite being a baptist (probably), I die of second hand shame anytime I see someone writhe and shake for Jesus. It always struck me as kind of self-righteous to make a big show of just how much you desire to be forgiven of nothing in particular except being a normal person in front of crowded church. Teenage me always justified this feeling by pointing at Matthew 6:5-6, on the other hand I don't really want a clinical service either so :shrug:.
I'm not a big fan of the idea that man is innately tainted and has to beg for forgiveness in the first place (unless he leads a sinful life I guess)

Recommend me a branch that most conforms to my beliefs tia.
that's all western christianities, so to escape from that idea you want orthodoxy (avoid russian theologians, they also believe we're innately tainted)

and ritual-heavy service isn't clinical at all, if done well, it's beautiful.

edit: can i ask you about spherical cats

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
Though there's definitely a continuum wrt how tainted people are taken to be both inside of and between western denominations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Personally, I find the idea that man is innately tainted to be comforting. No matter how badly or often I screw up, I can remind myself that we simply aren't capable of being perfect and I'm not special for screwing up.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
Ideally it should equalize us all, too. Never met someone who wasn't an rear end hole, at some point, to someone. Sin, our evil impulse, what Francis Spuford calls the Human Propensity to gently caress Things Up, seems to me to be true to human experience everywhere. Now, the degree to which we push that idea, total depravity and all that, seems too heavy handed.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

HEY GAL posted:

that's all western christianities

mods??? please don't insult my Friends.

Quakers don't believe in original sin. In fact, everyone (like, absolutely everyone regardless of whether or not you are Christian) has access to a measure of the Light inside them. It's up to them whether or not they choose to walk in the Light or to walk in the darkness and succumb to sin.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

The Phlegmatist posted:

mods??? please don't insult my Friends.

Quakers don't believe in original sin. In fact, everyone (like, absolutely everyone regardless of whether or not you are Christian) has access to a measure of the Light inside them. It's up to them whether or not they choose to walk in the Light or to walk in the darkness and succumb to sin.

well i stand corrected, thanks very much

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Oregon church says: No fat chicks/dudes in or worship team, tyvm. Also no shoes with white soles and you have to speak in tongues and you have to be born again which to me are the two most weird/off-putting requirements altogether. Why the fixation on being born again, does that mean that people who have been members of this particular church since their birth but never had a profound spiritual crisis or whatever can't make it?

e: also their head pastor looks like all European clichés about Americans put together and made flesh:

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Cythereal posted:

Personally, I find the idea that man is innately tainted to be comforting. No matter how badly or often I screw up, I can remind myself that we simply aren't capable of being perfect and I'm not special for screwing up.

Accepting that humanity is deeply flawed, without calling it wrong, is one of the greatest gifts christian thinking has given us. We're not either angels or devils, sinners or saints, but divided between both.

I'm not okay, and you're not okay, but that's okay, to coin a phrase. Accepting our imperfection and doing our best is one of the most amazing challenges that life offers us.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Oregon church says: No fat chicks/dudes in or worship team, tyvm. Also no shoes with white soles and you have to speak in tongues and you have to be born again which to me are the two most weird/off-putting requirements altogether. Why the fixation on being born again, does that mean that people who have been members of this particular church since their birth but never had a profound spiritual crisis or whatever can't make it?

e: also their head pastor looks like all European clichés about Americans put together and made flesh:

i will say this about oregon, it's where the simpsons came from

No Fat Chicks

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

let me clarify. I do believe man was tainted but isn't that the reason Christ sacrificed himself, To wash us of this sin? I believe christ wiped the slate clean so that man isn't born in sin and only comes into sin through his own actions. This all might be pure non-sense but its what I came to when I was 14 and still pretty devout at the time.

well he's not fat

HEY GAL posted:

edit: can i ask you about spherical cats
I honestly couldn't tell you anything, this avatar was a gag gift by a friend.

Man Whore fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Oct 17, 2016

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

That's Poyo from this cartoon series: http://www.crunchyroll.com/poyopoyo

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

He's drinking San Pellegrino, to boot, which is filthy Italo-Papist Bubblewater!

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

San Pellegrino tastes like bubbly piss

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Smoking Crow posted:

San Pellegrino tastes like bubbly piss

I like the blood orange one.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
A short video on St Augustine and why original sin is important even for non-Christians!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBAxUBeVfsk

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
It's On the city of god!

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
How many novenas must I pray before I get access to the secret database of Protestants hidden in the Vatican?

But seriously the rosary is cool and good and it's an excellent practice for private devotion. I've been enjoying it. The Mysteries aren't written in stone, correct? So I can choose other Biblical events to visualize during the decades like the building of the second temple?

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Phlegmatist posted:

How many novenas must I pray before I get access to the secret database of Protestants hidden in the Vatican?

But seriously the rosary is cool and good and it's an excellent practice for private devotion. I've been enjoying it. The Mysteries aren't written in stone, correct? So I can choose other Biblical events to visualize during the decades like the building of the second temple?

John Paul II certainly thought so

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

The Phlegmatist posted:

they were established in the sixteenth century. you have no more right to change them on your own than john paul 2 had

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

HEY GAL posted:

they were established in the sixteenth century. you have no more right to change them on your own than john paul 2 had

Writing new prayers is good

Pray the gay mysteries of the rosary. You'd be surprised how many aren't huge stretches

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Mo Tzu posted:

Writing new prayers is good

Pray the gay mysteries of the rosary. You'd be surprised how many aren't huge stretches
i no longer pray the rosary

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

HEY GAL posted:

i no longer pray the rosary

Pray the gay Jesus prayer

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

The Phlegmatist posted:

While the mysteries are pretty much codified (and heavily defended by Paul VI of all people), nothing prevents you from taking the method and applying it elsewhere.

If it works for you, then do it. No rules about your private conversations with God. You can pick what to talk about.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Mo Tzu posted:

Pray the gay Jesus prayer
the jesus prayer is for everyone, no matter what your orientation is

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Same sex attraction mysteries

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Mo Tzu posted:

Well, I think all of us on the forums know of a particular gay mystery that *is* a huge stretch.

e: are you talking about Lovatt's Gay Mysteries?

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

HEY GAL posted:

the jesus prayer is for everyone, no matter what your orientation is

"Gay Jesus, have mercy on me, a gay sinner"

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

There are about a million variants of the rosary, many of them dating back centuries (to assuage HEY GAL's fears :v:), either devise your own (which is totally cool) or pick one that suits you. Here is just a small number of the historical rosaries (or rosary-based prayers, I guess) around. Here's another site gathering those prayers; if you speak other languages than English then these should be worth checking out; at least the German page has way more prayers listed than the English one

vvv omg I hadn't seen that before :stwoon: vvv

System Metternich fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Oct 18, 2016

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

There are about a million variants of the rosary, many of them dating back centuries (to assuage HEY GAL's fears :v:), either devise your own (which is totally cool) or pick one that suits you. Here is just a small number of the historical rosaries (or rosary-based prayers, I guess) around. Here's another site gathering those prayers; if you speak other languages than English then these should be worth checking out; at least the German page has way more prayers listed than the English one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvhYqeGp_Do

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'm seeing y'all talk about Mysteries with a capital M as something relating to prayer, so I can only assume this is yet another weird high church thing the Protestants ditched.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

vvv omg I hadn't seen that before :stwoon: vvv
my friend

my friend

you need to go on youtube and search "Tom Lehrer" as soon as possible
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRLON3ddZIw

Cythereal posted:

I'm seeing y'all talk about Mysteries with a capital M as something relating to prayer, so I can only assume this is yet another weird high church thing the Protestants ditched.
in this context, it means "an episode in the life of jesus and mary"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Cythereal posted:

Protestants can pray the rosary. Atheists too.

Like, today are the Sorrowful Mysteries, which are:

1. The Agony of Christ at Gethsemane
2. Jesus scourged at the pillar
3. The crown of thorns was placed upon His head.
4. Christ carried His own cross to Calvary
5. The Crucifixion

Meditation on those is pretty cool. And good. And it's all stuff in the Bible.

In other news here's a legit rapping friar.

• Locked thread