Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Iron Crowned posted:

It's also possible she's familiar with people who've been using drones. I don't remember boat man having one when he picked up Mike early on

We don't really know what anyone was up to before arriving in Tuscon. Maybe we get some flashbacks next season?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

GigaPeon posted:

We don't really know what anyone was up to before arriving in Tuscon. Maybe we get some flashbacks next season?

To be honest, I like how there aren't any flashbacks to before and it's all told by the things that are still around.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
So, am I the only one who completely missed that this was the season finale?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Air is lava! posted:

So, am I the only one who completely missed that this was the season finale?

Oh, farts.

:(

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Bumping this thread because the new season started. And they killed Jon Hamm.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Oh, it's back? And I didn't know Hamm was in this.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

muscles like this? posted:

And they killed Jon Hamm.

I'm hoping that they kill a new celebrity every season opener.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Jon Hamm was a great surprise. That dude is up for anything.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

No kidding. Seeing him turn up in Todd Margaret was delightful.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I already like this season. Melissa processing her murder is great. And I'm thrilled to see Kenneth Choi joining the cast.

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???
Cher-house last night was used perfectly

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah, of course Pat is somehow still alive.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't like how this show can use half the episode to make me feel like I want to turn it off because of how stupid it is, then it redeems itself for 10 minutes and then shits the bed again.

ricro
Dec 22, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

I don't like how this show can use half the episode to make me feel like I want to turn it off because of how stupid it is, then it redeems itself for 10 minutes and then shits the bed again.

The show IS Tandy

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

SlipkPIe posted:

The show IS Tandy

My favorite thing in the show right now is how everyone, even his wife, still calls him Tandy even though he hates it and theres absolutely no reason to keep doing it.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

ChesterJT posted:

My favorite thing in the show right now is how everyone, even his wife, still calls him Tandy even though he hates it and theres absolutely no reason to keep doing it.

I called him Tandy when discussing the show and realized I couldn't remember his original name. Was kinda hoping Pat was dead because I'm very tired of movies and shows using the trope of "they're dead. Oh god where did the body go?" along with unconsciousness lasting minutes/hours. If it does last that long, you won't be doing anything productive for a while. Why didn't he move at all? If he's injured at all, you would think breathing would be labored enough to tell someone is alive. I know, it's just a vehicle to setup a Tandy conundrum but it's just so exhausted.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
I forget. Don't dead bodies disintegrate? Or maybe the Bunker People are on cleanup detail.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

At the start of last season they implied it was kind of a slow, meandering apocalypse, so there was time to take most of the bodies away.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
Yeah, they clearly had enough time to set up that creepy as hell giant field of bodies that Pat left Mike in last season, and there's been other references to how it seemed like it spread steadily enough that people were able to attempt to hunker down.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

GigaPeon posted:

I forget. Don't dead bodies disintegrate? Or maybe the Bunker People are on cleanup detail.

They found Chers body in her bed in this episode.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Then again, how much of Cher's body is still actually Cher's body.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Sereri posted:

Then again, how much of Cher's body is still actually Cher's body.

Yeah, I thought that could have been the joke.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Never saw this show before, but I watched the two latest episodes with friends, and was a little stunned at the turn-around toward the end of the latest episode. Given that it seemed all goofy-wacky-hijinx, when Tandy fessed up about his lousy attempt to stage killing Pat was to keep the other group member from having to live with the guilt of having actually killed him , I was like 'drat'.

Is that the usual formula of the show? Goofiness with the ocasional serious moment peppered in? I'm willing to go back and start watching from the beginning.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

LadyPictureShow posted:

Never saw this show before, but I watched the two latest episodes with friends, and was a little stunned at the turn-around toward the end of the latest episode. Given that it seemed all goofy-wacky-hijinx, when Tandy fessed up about his lousy attempt to stage killing Pat was to keep the other group member from having to live with the guilt of having actually killed him , I was like 'drat'.

Is that the usual formula of the show? Goofiness with the ocasional serious moment peppered in? I'm willing to go back and start watching from the beginning.

It starts out with more of a misanthropic streak. It's more of an examination of what happens when Tandy spends a long period of time with no human interaction and then suddenly meets people. He's less of a goof and more of a giant rear end in a top hat. At this point, everyone in the group is used to him going to ridiculous lengths to sell a half-assed story (as evidenced by Gail's "I like to see where these go" line this week), but it's played in the first season as him being a deranged lunatic. It hints that it's not that he was a deranged lunatic *before* the world ended, but that being alone for so long broke him.

I'll admit that I almost stopped watching it (only sticking around because my partner still liked it) because it occasionally goes right past cringe comedy and into horrified-face comedy.

The second season works to establish that while Tandy, in general, will always make the worst possible decisions, he legitimately likes all the people in the group and means well by them. By about halfway through the season, it becomes an honest-to-god ensemble rather than a show focused on The Last Man On Earth (tm). It basically takes the irredeemable rear end in a top hat from the first season and redeems him.

While I like the second season better than the first, the first is not bad by any means, in retrospect. It's just less close to what the show is now than Season 2, which does a *great* job integrating drama into a couple of its sideplots. The season 2 finale was really good.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
The show is totally worth a watch imo, but the best parts of the show are the moments when Phil or his brother are totally alone

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I'd say that tonal inconsistency is the most consistent thing about this show, well that and cringe humor.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

It's also important to remember that all of these people watched everyone they ever knew or loved die horribly and they are all broken people as a result.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

pseudorandom name posted:

It's also important to remember that all of these people watched everyone they ever knew or loved die horribly and they are all broken people as a result.

And for some of them it keeps happening (the loved part, anyway) :v:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Grim posted:

The show is totally worth a watch imo, but the best parts of the show are the moments when Phil or his brother are totally alone

That's why I was disappointed with the premiere, usually each season has opened with an episode of Phil alone and they didn't even give us that. Them fleeing in panic with a crazed gunman on their heels would have even been a perfect excuse to split up and get some quality alone time hijinks but I guess that was too expensive.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Guy Mann posted:

That's why I was disappointed with the premiere, usually each season has opened with an episode of Phil alone and they didn't even give us that. Them fleeing in panic with a crazed gunman on their heels would have even been a perfect excuse to split up and get some quality alone time hijinks but I guess that was too expensive.

Yeah, at this point they have to pay the core cast every episode, so having them not be in an episode is essentially a budget loss. It's also why in the second season they went back to everybody so quickly.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I'm digging the road trip caravan with the cast, although I still wanna know why they don't look for a home with solar panels like the one with the bacon in the freezer :fyh:

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

You Are A Elf posted:

I'm digging the road trip caravan with the cast, although I still wanna know why they don't look for a home with solar panels like the one with the bacon in the freezer :fyh:

I'm actually expecting the road trip ending with them going right up the block or something stupid.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I'M SO ANGRY ABOUT RACISM

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Astro7x posted:

I'm actually expecting the road trip ending with them going right up the block or something stupid.

Back to Tucson.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007

Echo Chamber posted:

I'M SO ANGRY ABOUT RACISM

Did they not realize there are no more black people left alive? How much racism can there be?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

Did they not realize there are no more black people left alive? How much racism can there be?

Erica?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I feel like I missed something in the last episode or the one before. Phil was so adamant that psycho guy wasn't coming back, did he hide the body and sink the boat off-screen or is he just being stupid?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
He put the body in the trash but then it disappeared and the boat disappeared as well.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

He put the body in the trash but then it disappeared and the boat disappeared as well.

OK, so he's just being stupid then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

PostNouveau posted:

OK, so he's just being stupid then

I doubt he believes what he's saying. Seems more like typical Phil telling everyone what they want to hear.

• Locked thread