Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Xinder posted:

I was looking at the wiki and saw the Manga mission for Japan awards Horde Unity which raises a question: Is it even possible for Japan to become a horde? I don't know of a way to turn a country into a horde.

I think that's because they went through all the events that granted (legitimacy/republican tradition/horde unity) and just made each event award all of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

Poil posted:

So apparently there is a cap of +10 to institutes when you develop a province. Time to start using another one I guess. :v:

What does this mean exactly? You can't just use your capital all game?

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

PittTheElder posted:

I think that's because they went through all the events that granted (legitimacy/republican tradition/horde unity) and just made each event award all of them.

This is a reasonable, but disappointing answer.

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
Out of curiousity, did the new tech system make the americas more fun to play in? As in can I start a game as the aztecs and can reasonably expect not to get my poo poo kicked in the moment europeans show up?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The map stealing/trading thing is still kind of annoying though since you need a unit or territory within or adjacent to the region you're trying to map. I feel like I should be able to steal a map of the new world from Portugal or someone without physically traveling there first - if I could get there I'd just explore it myself.

I don't think that you need a unit there, I think that you just need to have the full map of an adjacent region. That's how it's been working out in my Ireland game, anyway; so you can eventually steal all of the maps without ever having a unit there, but if you were, say, Aztecs then first you'd need complete maps of all of the explorable regions between you and Portugal/France/etc

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I dunno if you can expect that, but they start the game with just a 50% tech penalty rather than like 150%+, which means you can expect to grab an idea group without too much trouble which should liven up the game for them a ton.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Karanas posted:

Out of curiousity, did the new tech system make the americas more fun to play in? As in can I start a game as the aztecs and can reasonably expect not to get my poo poo kicked in the moment europeans show up?

Since you don't need to westernize, you no longer need to either steal a core or lose one to the Europeans, making it easier to stay safe.

Just conquer your neighbors, start colonizing and developing asap and be ready to hit the reform button the moment the Europeans show up.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Party In My Diapee posted:

I think it means that no matter how developed a province is, spending monarch points to develop it further never increases institution adoption by more than 10% per point. Which means at some point it becomes more efficiant monarch point wise to develop some other province in order to start a new institution.

Agent Boogeyman
Feb 17, 2005

"This cannot POSSIBLY be good. . ."
I am really really hating the new Institutions system. It feels like I'm being punished for no reason. I can either:

A) Stay forever behind everyone else because I have to pour points into development

or

B) Stay forever behind everyone else by not pouring development points into development.

It's lose/lose and I'm really loving hating it.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Where in the world are you playing? I found it easy enough as Russia; sure you're behind a decent amount, but you only need 10 of your provinces to gain an institution, and then you can just pay to embrace it early.

You only need to dump points into development if you need to be way ahead of your neighbors.

Agent Boogeyman
Feb 17, 2005

Castille. Everyone accepted The Renaissance about 30 years ago and I'm stuck with it only being over just half of my provinces, and it's progressing at a snail's pace, even though every time I gain points I dump it into development so MAYBE I can get a 1% increase towards that province converting. It's infuriating.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Many of the great powers in the games I have played have always seem to be at the best 110% above tech cost, and at worst 200%, which makes sense as they have far more land to deal with before they can pay money to advance

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Agent Boogeyman posted:

Castille. Everyone accepted The Renaissance about 30 years ago and I'm stuck with it only being over just half of my provinces, and it's progressing at a snail's pace, even though every time I gain points I dump it into development so MAYBE I can get a 1% increase towards that province converting. It's infuriating.

You, uh, can embrace it with a lot less than half your provinces, you just need to take out a loan or two to do it.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Why the hell are you waiting until they spread to 50% of your provinces before embracing, you should have shitloads of money to early embrace as Castile.

Agent Boogeyman
Feb 17, 2005

Because I DON'T have the money is why. I can't afford the 400 ducats right now unless I just want to completely disband my military or something. I'm gaining 4 ducats a month, and events keep popping that eat money.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
You should be making more money.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Try saving up for like 10 years so you can get the money to embrace, then focus on trade to boost your income so you can always early embrace?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Even when you're not, that doesn't really sound like something to blame institutions for.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

4 ducts a months seems really low as Castile. Did you loose half of Liberia or something?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Agent Boogeyman posted:

Because I DON'T have the money is why. I can't afford the 400 ducats right now unless I just want to completely disband my military or something. I'm gaining 4 ducats a month, and events keep popping that eat money.

A. Start Castile by pumping 200 diplo points into developing La Mancha for sweet gold cash

B. Loans exist.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Jazerus posted:

B. Loans exist.

Seriously.

Agent Boogeyman
Feb 17, 2005

Jazerus posted:

A. Start Castile by pumping 200 diplo points into developing La Mancha for sweet gold cash

B. Loans exist.

Holy poo poo I can't believe I forgot Castille starts with a gold province. I feel really stupid now.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
yeah a lil bit

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Agent Boogeyman posted:

Holy poo poo I can't believe I forgot Castille starts with a gold province. I feel really stupid now.

I assumed you must be playing in SE Asia or something. Castile is gravy town. Renaissance is in Italy, pretty close, you should get it fast. Colonialism should be you or Portugal, but depending it might be England. Still, you have a good chance to have it somewhere right next door.

I just finished(got my two cheevos) my Naples game. So far I am loving the traits, and institutions are straightforward for someone in the thick of things. I'll have to try a game somewhere far away from Europe and see how that pans out. Maybe finally time to do the Aztec run.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

So is Rights of Man turning into One of the Good DLCs?

Agent Boogeyman
Feb 17, 2005

Yeah, it was weird, I get the general feel for it now. I just happened, for some reason, to be literally the last country in Europe to get a province started into the Renaissance. Even Portugal popped it decades before me for some reason. Got my first province when it was already at around a 19% penalty. It was just general bad luck. Colonialism rolled around almost immediately after I finally embraced The Renaissance, it popped in Portugal and... I had it within three years. It's just a generally new weird type of juggling I wasn't used to: When a province pops in a new Institution, drop some dev into it, watch it grow, save up as much money as possible , embrace it, then go back to regular tech and idea gains. Still, being a big nation seems to make it feel slower, since I imagine one province minors can pop it virtually immediately.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

You know it's not really luck based or anything, yeah? If you open the Institutions tab on a province it'll tell you exactly why it's spreading to particular provinces.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

PittTheElder posted:

You know it's not really luck based or anything, yeah? If you open the Institutions tab on a province it'll tell you exactly why it's spreading to particular provinces.

And different institutions have different criteria for spreading, which is cool and wasn't immediately apparent to me just skimming the thread.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Reading the institution spread modifiers on the wiki really clarifies things.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Jazerus posted:

B. Loans exist.

But I can't Expel the Jewry when I want to default :argh:

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I am doing a game as Aragon and haven't had any problems with institutions at all, just make sure you develop your CoTs.
Game is going really well in general, I have a huge Tunisian Maghreb Vassal (thanks Morroco/Tlemencen/Mamluks for loving them up), a Habsburg on my throne and already managed to beat Byzantium out of the Ottos (thanks again Austria).

It feels like everything went a bit too well so far with others declaring stupid wars that I abused to gain easy territory.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/eu4-development-diary-18th-of-october-2016.975428/

There's a new dev diary up. Basically, there's another free patch coming next month. It's meant to be focused on one country and they gave us an image but I'm not sure. A quick search shows that it seems to be Christian IV of Denmark.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Mysticblade posted:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/eu4-development-diary-18th-of-october-2016.975428/

There's a new dev diary up. Basically, there's another free patch coming next month. It's meant to be focused on one country and they gave us an image but I'm not sure. A quick search shows that it seems to be Christian IV of Denmark.

It will be a balance update focusing on Denmark.

They now begin in a PU under Sweden.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

I don't see anything talking about a specific country focus, just "a focus". Maybe personal unions?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Party In My Diapee posted:

You can, but it's not very optimal. When you develop a province you get more institute progress the higher your development is. For example in a crappy 1/1/1 province you barely get any progress at all but in a sweet 20/20/20 you get a whopping +10. But since it never increases beyond +10 and the cost of developing does increase you're just wasting points for no gain at that point.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I think this update has done something weird to protectorates. I have Tripoli as a protectorate, and it keeps bouncing between jumping up to 100% liberty desire with the reason being it has better diplomatic tech than me (it has 7 and I'm on 9), becoming independent with no pop up or message telling me it is and then immediately accepting becoming a protectorate again. I took on Djerid and Touggourt to check if it's just something with Tripoli but they're doing the same.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Mysticblade posted:

Promising as always!

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

Poil posted:

You can, but it's not very optimal. When you develop a province you get more institute progress the higher your development is. For example in a crappy 1/1/1 province you barely get any progress at all but in a sweet 20/20/20 you get a whopping +10. But since it never increases beyond +10 and the cost of developing does increase you're just wasting points for no gain at that point.

This is true. The point values scale based on the development cost, approximately 0.05 percent per point cost (+/- a bit due to rounding errors). So with the cap at 10%, any province over 200 development cost isn't a good option for brute forcing institutions. It doesn't matter which categories are developed, just the cost.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Judging by that image the focus is hideous beards, that thing looks like someone murdered a small mammal and stuck it on a dude's face :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Maybe the focus is on buildings or development? Christian IV was quite fond of founding cities.

• Locked thread