Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
I don't know if it's any good, but Battlevoid: Harbinger is very cheap at $2. Reviews by Rock paper shotgun and TotalBiscuit.

Previously, named Battlestation: Harbinger

http://store.steampowered.com/app/396480/

RPS review: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/02/29/battlestation-harbinger-out-now/

----

The roguelike thread may not be the exact best place to ask, but has anyone played Battles of Norghan

quote:

Battles of Norghan is a unique gladiatorial management and strategy game where you not only must recruit, train, and equip fantasy gladiators, but also control them on a tactical grid in turn-based combat.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/531110

This sounds exactly like a game I've been looking for.

----

Sunless Sea
was on sale for less than $7 so I nabbed it.

Is it just me or is the game coded as a real time version of Prospector/AuroraRL; the spaceship exploring the galaxy portion, not the planetary exploration portion with a bunch of multiple choice story encoded in it?

Hey devs. How...difficult is something like this to say code? Say turn based space exploration like Prospector/AuroraRL, not real time.

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Oct 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Also happening: By the Power of Java, Professional Adventurers League has hit upon a final and complete v1.0, with perhaps some tinkering and fixing to come, but pretty much a wrap.

http://www.roguebasin.com/index.php?title=Professional_Adventurers_League

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Stuntman posted:

Anyone else playing TOMEnet? It's managed to hold more appeal to me than other *band games and actually works well for an online roguelike.

I haven't played TOMEnet in many a year, and I'm actually impressed that someone is still hosting a server. That reminds me, I should really spin up TOME 2.3.5 again for nostalgia's sake. It's a grindy, tedious classic.

Bert of the Forest
Apr 27, 2013

Shucks folks, I'm speechless. Hawf Hawf Hawf!
So for anyone who joined my We Need to Go Deeper beta way back when, I recently made a new big spooky content update in time for Halloween! Get back in there and go shoot some deep-sea monstrosities!

Also, for anyone who still wants in on the Beta but doesn't wanna shill out the :10bux: to PM me, I'm hosting a key-giveaway contest over at the Steam Gifting thread here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3513572&pagenumber=1019#post465355124

Happy October y'all! :spooky:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Bert of the Forest posted:

So for anyone who joined my We Need to Go Deeper beta way back when, I recently made a new big spooky content update in time for Halloween! Get back in there and go shoot some deep-sea monstrosities!

Also, for anyone who still wants in on the Beta but doesn't wanna shill out the :10bux: to PM me, I'm hosting a key-giveaway contest over at the Steam Gifting thread here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3513572&pagenumber=1019#post465355124

I'm not going to enter as I don't have pals to play with, but I want to get in on this spooky creature stuff by sharing one of my favorite deep sea critter compilations on youtube: here ya go! Footage is from the BBC documentaries on the topic, which is just...so cool. I love our oceans. :D

Kyzrati
Jun 27, 2015

MAIN.C

Angry Lobster posted:

Every time someone talks about Cogmind, I find myself thinking about how awesome would be if someone made a Battletech roguelike.
That is actually why I made it in the first place--I wanted BattletechRL, but didn't have a hex-based engine available for 7DRL (using a square grid would be sacrilege), so made something mechanically related instead. This is why you'll find a number of BT design influences in there. I would LOVE to see someone else do the real BT. I'm sure it would be quite well received if anyone's looking for an instant fan base...

(Ugh, soooo busy this week with the new release, after which normally everything winds down for a bit of a break but this time RPS wrote about it o_O ...only now catching up with this thread.)

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I got One Way Heroics a few years back on sale and have recently played a ton of it and enjoyed it even if it's ridiculously simple.

I take it Plus just adds features to the base game, and Mystery Chronicles is... A remake? The steam review score was 'mixed' and that's always kind of alarming considering how leniant people tend to be. :v:

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Cuntellectual posted:

I got One Way Heroics a few years back on sale and have recently played a ton of it and enjoyed it even if it's ridiculously simple.

I take it Plus just adds features to the base game, and Mystery Chronicles is... A remake? The steam review score was 'mixed' and that's always kind of alarming considering how leniant people tend to be. :v:

from what I understand, Mystery Chronicles is effectivly a remake of plus with the addition of Traps and some new classes

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Another DoomRL server update just went live: new features for replays. The replayer has been heavily upgraded, and now sports a basic OSD (shows you your position in the file and playback speed), pause, and the ability to seek forward and backward 6 seconds, 1 minute, or 10 minutes at a time. These features also work when following a game in progress, so if you've hit a boring part you can rewind and watch them take on the Chained Court fists-only again or whatever.

Note that rewinding, due to limitations of the ttyrec format, requires replaying the entire recording from the beginning. For large recordings this may consume a noticeable amount of bandwidth and take a while. I'm working on improvements to this, but they're not live yet.

As usual the server is at phobos.ancilla.ca -- if you want to try out the new features with a minimum of fuss, click the [TTY] link next to any of the high score entries to view the replay in your browser.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Kyzrati posted:

That is actually why I made it in the first place--I wanted BattletechRL, but didn't have a hex-based engine available for 7DRL (using a square grid would be sacrilege), so made something mechanically related instead. This is why you'll find a number of BT design influences in there. I would LOVE to see someone else do the real BT. I'm sure it would be quite well received if anyone's looking for an instant fan base...

(Ugh, soooo busy this week with the new release, after which normally everything winds down for a bit of a break but this time RPS wrote about it o_O ...only now catching up with this thread.)

It's nice to know that was one of your main inspirations, now I've gotta try Cogmind then...

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Rutibex if you just want to see numbers go up might I suggest watching some Ulillillia videos

Kyzrati
Jun 27, 2015

MAIN.C

Angry Lobster posted:

It's nice to know that was one of your main inspirations
In the 90s I played a lot of PnP BT with custom designs, and always loved the MW series, too. Building robots from parts! Plus the importance of heat management--past the early game, anyway--will feel familiar...

Still, not truly mecha-oriented in the same way as GearHead, which has seen a revival of late and is a good one to check out.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Much as I love the game, I sure wish DotE had a middle difficulty setting. The gulf between the low and the high setting is colossal.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Bert of the Forest posted:

What sort of bullshit cheap holiday cash-in is this? Don't you have any respect for the craft?

Unrelated: check out the new drops in the upcoming dungeonmans halloween update :spooky:

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Helical Nightmares posted:

----

The roguelike thread may not be the exact best place to ask, but has anyone played Battles of Norghan

http://store.steampowered.com/app/531110

This sounds exactly like a game I've been looking for.

----

I took the plunge on this because as far as I can tell only six people have ever played it. I can't even find an actual review for it.

The best way I can describe it is a D&D battle generator with a Blood Bowl wrapper. You don't buy characters, you bid on them in a mercenary auction house. Other teams can offer them a better a contract or they might refuse to work for your clan if it already has members of race/class they don't like. Then you have to outfit them from the ground up, and can train them possibly twice a month (once before match and once after I think).

The AI seems decent enough. I've had a wizard position itself on the bank of a pond so I couldn't surround it, one team rushed me with goblins and tried to flank me with a dwarf to kill my caster, one team I kept squishing with my giant went out and hired a giant of their own, and another team I kept beating the crap out of started to forfeit when they got matched up against me.

One decently trained and equipped fighter can hold their against several under equipped scrubs, which is nice. You can't just swarm people with cheapo fighters and expect to win. One team consisted of single heavily armored Orc that gave no fucks and slowly chopped his way through my team.

It's a little slow and clunky, but I stayed up way to late playing it which is a good sign. I'm only on my second year and in still in the bottom division so the battles have been fairly small, but the max is I believe 52 units (26 on each team). The best way to start off I've found is higher a single solid bruiser in 2500-3000gp range and build them up until they're in a good place then higher a second and so on and so forth. My current team only consists of 3 characters right now, although I could probably stand to have a fourth.

Hope this helps. If it looks like something you'd like I say spend the 10 bucks because you'll probably get that much entertainment out of it. If you really enjoy you may want to upgrade to Gold edition. Oh, I think it had a hotseat mode as well, but I'm not 100% on that.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

girth brooks part 2 posted:

Excellent review

Thanks man. I've got hiring gladiators and running a ludus on my mind so this looks like it will scratch that itch.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
I decided to effortpost about the roguelike thing I've had in my head and a google doc for a while if anyone's interested. There's a screenshot and some mechanics talk in there. Looking back at the screenshot from this morning, I see at least a dozen things to change/clarify. This is going to rule and suck.

If I really try and believe in myself, I think I can do it! :downsbravo:

edit: so crusty

spider wisdom fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Oct 16, 2016

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

spider wisdom posted:

I decided to effortpost about the roguelike thing I've had in my head and a google doc for a while if anyone's interested. There's a screenshot and some mechanics talk in there. Looking back at the screenshot from this morning, I see at least a dozen things to change/clarify. This is going to rule and suck.

Man, that looks pretty cool. Hope you can make it work.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I just YAAM'd Angel of Confidence :black101: Full postmortem, replay in browser.

It got off to a good start with a Nuclear Plasma Rifle in Deimos Lab; I decided that was a sign of favour from the RNG, opened the lab, defeated both shamblers and got a Revenant's Launcher as well. In Limbo it was kind enough to give me a Nuclear BFG to go with my bulk firestorm modded BFG9K; the Revenant's Launcher was actually a huge help here, since it meant I could detonate rockets in midair next to enemies and knock them into the lava, preventing them from being resurrected.

I didn't even need the lava element, in the end, since there was an invulnerability globe next to the stairs down to the Mastermind; I just ate the globe, walked down the stairs, set off a nuke, continued downwards, and overloaded my nuclear BFG to finish the job. My second ever double boss nuke :hellyeah:

Now I just need to decide what to try next -- I still haven't beaten Impatience, Purity, Red Alert, Masochism, Pacifism, or Humanity, or any of the Archangel modes except for Light Travel. I've also been beating my head against Ao100 UV lately in an attempt to get the Experience Cross and Technician Diamond Badge, but it's not been going so well.

Abbreviated mortem:

pre:
 ToxicFrog, level 10 Arch-Vile Captain Marine,
 defeated the Mastermind at the Hell Fortress.
 He survived 94009 turns and scored 99781 points. 
 He played for 2 hours, 55 minutes and 16 seconds. 
 He didn't like it too rough.

He killed 394 out of 394 hellspawn. (100%)
 This rear end-kicking marine killed all of them!
 He was an Angel of Confidence!

-- Special levels --------------------------------------------

Levels generated : 8
  Levels visited   : 5
  Levels completed : 5

-- Awards ----------------------------------------------------

Medal of Prejudice
  Grim Reaper's Badge
  Hell Armorer Badge

-- Traits ----------------------------------------------------

Class : Marine
  TaN->TaN->Bad->Iro->Bad->Fin->Fin->WK->Jug->Rel->

-- Equipment -------------------------------------------------

[a] [ Armor      ]   Angelic Armor [3/7] (38%)
    [b] [ Weapon     ]   BFG 9000 (10d6) [130/130] (B1F1T1)
    [c] [ Boots      ]   plasteel boots [2/2] (100%) (A)
    [d] [ Prepared   ]   Revenant's Launcher (7d6) [1/1]

-- Inventory -------------------------------------------------

[a] assault shotgun (7d3) [6/6]
    [b] burst nuclear plasma rifle (1d9)x8 [48/48]
    [t] lava element

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Oct 16, 2016

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.
As a heads up to all of us who love DoomRL, a month from now (15 November) is when Kornel is launching his Jupiter Hell kickstarter. I know a lot of us RL fans are not the rolling in cash type who can throw money at any KS they fancy, buuuuut with a month's notice maybe you have time to sock away a couple bucks to be able to pitch in on the day he launches. Every bit helps.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Well I just started playing dungeonmans and after a few failed attempts, Foo the Fourth the Bannermans is off to a seemingly strong start (I've reached level 6 and have killed an Ancient King!) The healing on the melee banner is really really good, it seems.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

madjackmcmad posted:

As a heads up to all of us who love DoomRL, a month from now (15 November) is when Kornel is launching his Jupiter Hell kickstarter. I know a lot of us RL fans are not the rolling in cash type who can throw money at any KS they fancy, buuuuut with a month's notice maybe you have time to sock away a couple bucks to be able to pitch in on the day he launches. Every bit helps.

I hope one of the stretch goals is open-source DoomRL.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
My Duneongmans keeps crashing on the road ambushes when I kill the boss. The autosave also means that whole character is effectively dead. Nice.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

General Emergency posted:

My Duneongmans keeps crashing on the road ambushes when I kill the boss. The autosave also means that whole character is effectively dead. Nice.

So every time you load, the game crashes now?

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

madjackmcmad posted:

So every time you load, the game crashes now?

Nah. Every time I kill the "boss" in the encounter. He explodes and then I get a crash. I've had this happen with two other characters too.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Cool news from the Caves of Qud devs:

https://twitter.com/unormal/status/788079316219199490

https://twitter.com/ptychomancer/status/788077014821384192

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Neato.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

That's real awesome. Looking forward to whatever weirdness you guys get up to!!!

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Nah. Every time I kill the "boss" in the encounter. He explodes and then I get a crash. I've had this happen with two other characters too.

Can I see your save folder? c:\users\(you)\appdata\roaming\Dungeonmans, just zip it up and mail it to jim@dungeonmans.com if you would. Sorry about that :(

In other news:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/279070/

Anyone know anything about this? Certainly looks interesting and it's like tree-fitty right now.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

I'm very impressed by madjackmcmad's devotion to verisimilitude.

madjackmcmad posted:

In other news:

Anyone know anything about this? Certainly looks interesting and it's like tree-fitty right now.

No but I'll take it for a spin at that price & report back.

Screenshots look a lot like Ultima Online to me.

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Oct 18, 2016

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Captain Foo posted:

Well I just started playing dungeonmans and after a few failed attempts, Foo the Fourth the Bannermans is off to a seemingly strong start (I've reached level 6 and have killed an Ancient King!) The healing on the melee banner is really really good, it seems.

paid at a gold statue, got totally wrecked by an ancient king after guessing the wrong chest

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
How to win Sproggiwood on Savage: drink a scramble-powers potion, get Teleport and Drain Health, bop around the level searching for the stairs while jellies activate the traps that summon twinned wisps, which kill the (endless supply of) jellies, whose deaths refill your stamina even though you had nothing to do with their deaths.

Of course, you then still have to beat the boss of the level. :supaburn: Good thing my vampiric teleporting warrior somehow kept his Dervish ultra and there were enough basic enemies around to keep his stamina refilled.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

No but I'll take it for a spin at that price & report back.

Screenshots look a lot like Ultima Online to me.

Extremely preliminary opinion. Finished the tutorial and walked around the starting village. Finished a quest where i needed to retrieve a book. The guards were too doughy.

The graphics have a paper-Mario theme going on. When you turn, your image reverses after a second of appearing like a line. The ascii graphics...usually I'm skeptical but these are quite colorful and cool. Everyone throws stuff around the floor though, so it should feel homey for most goons.

Combat gameplay is sort of like an oldschool Zelda, not in a nostalgic or awesome way. You can attack in a direction with your melee weapon. Haven't tried ranged or magic combat. Enemies will respawn. You can (and need to) jump over pits so there is a platforming element. The description suggests this is further developed as the game progresses.

I wonder if this guy made an iOS game. I recall something more simple and similar on the iPhone.

Dialogue is acceptable (not lovely; not great) for a fantasy game so far.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Extremely preliminary opinion. Finished the tutorial and walked around the starting village. Finished a quest where i needed to retrieve a book. The guards were too doughy.

The graphics have a paper-Mario theme going on. When you turn, your image reverses after a second of appearing like a line. The ascii graphics...usually I'm skeptical but these are quite colorful and cool. Everyone throws stuff around the floor though, so it should feel homey for most goons.

Combat gameplay is sort of like an oldschool Zelda, not in a nostalgic or awesome way. You can attack in a direction with your melee weapon. Haven't tried ranged or magic combat. Enemies will respawn. You can (and need to) jump over pits so there is a platforming element. The description suggests this is further developed as the game progresses.

I wonder if this guy made an iOS game. I recall something more simple and similar on the iPhone.

Dialogue is acceptable (not lovely; not great) for a fantasy game so far.

The first was a mobile game.

http://toucharcade.com/2013/06/21/9th-dawn-review/

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

spider wisdom posted:

edit: so crusty

This is awesome. Good luck and keep at it! Even now I like the graphical aesthetic. I think it needs a little more "something" to be finished; like the central pillars could be elevator bays, computer terminals, have biohazard signs or whatever. Other than that I think you are well on your way graphically.

quote:

Debating a standard level-up system, but in addition, there are 2 ways to enhance the player: mutagen synthesizers (musynths, administered directly into your person or via compatible armor) or infections, which are tied to enemy types. More on those later.
Beastiary unlocks in the form of a Library, persists from player to player (maybe). Encounter an enemy often enough and you'll get some vital stats. These are always awesome.
Environmental interactions — you can carry beyond your capacity, but if you're overloaded on a slick surface, you might fall and break a leg. You can use heavy weapons to breach the hull; depending on size and relative location, nearby items, monsters and you will be evacuated into the void. Inoperable light bridges connect to locked saferooms with items (a Brogue locked room)

I really like these ideas, in particular the bolded one.

That's exactly what I played for a decent bit. 1 hour I think? As a mobile game I wasn't impressed.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

This is awesome.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

madjackmcmad posted:

Can I see your save folder? c:\users\(you)\appdata\roaming\Dungeonmans, just zip it up and mail it to jim@dungeonmans.com if you would. Sorry about that :(

In other news:

Threw you an email. Best games have the best support.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Streets of Rogue Alpha 14, now including werewolf class
http://streetsofrogue.com/sordownloads.html

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

The Approaching Infinity guy is cranking out another adventure, and he just released Beta 4 of The Curse of Yendor. One of his selling points is high environment interaction, blowing up walls, freezing rivers, etc

https://ibol17.itch.io/the-curse-of-yendor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I wonder how many copies he sold of AI to people who didn't know and love him.