Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Also, how do you combine upgrades? Is it gated behind some story stuff, or is it something simple I'm missing? I've got a ton of useless stuff I would like to combine into level appropriate upgrades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it comes after a certain part in the story

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Yeah, a little over 1/3 of the way in.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Things I loved from the first:
Tight swordplay for 50% of my dmg output
Pretty levels
Weapon "feel"
Very cool weapon balance - a big deal, this is what makes a good fps to me. Balancing ammo generation v preferred weapons, limited weapon options that are all equal, etc
A storyline/drama that appeared from thin air?!

Things I could take or leave:
The character xp allocation and weapon upgrades, ie "speccing"
Minor dynamic difficulty changes

However, I totally hate:
Grind, ie replaying an area, EVER
Multiplayer in my fps
loving loot drops
Gemming poo poo

Should I get this game when it comes out on my platform?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You can totally ignore everything in the 'hate' category, so yes.

edit: Ignoring gems is a pretty bad idea when it comes to having fun imo, but you don't need them.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

character level stuff is mostly just quality of life junk and isn't necessary to kill things. enemies don't have levels and difficulty is entirely defined by the actual difficulty level along with how many players it's set for. you don't ever have to grind areas. multiplayer is completely ignorable if you never want to look at it. the 'loot' consists of things you're gonna get a million of anyways, and weapons and skills mainly drop from bosses during missions. upgrade things for weapons/whatever are very easy to just drop into something without actually caring about minmaxing at all. you genuinely never have to sit there and agonize over stats. just use some of your 8 weapon slots to have at least some of each of the 4 elements and maybe occasionally dip into the upgrade screen to change to new stuff if you feel like it

beyond that the gameplay is really fun. story kinda sucks, though, but it's kind of on the level i'd expect from basically any other fps game anyways.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Also when it comes to gems just focus on all the ones except the straight weapon ones. Most of them are just vendor trash and aren't as good as the elemental gems or alt-fire/alt-ammo gems.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Yeah you can get by just fine slamming your top damage elemental gems into each of your guns and ignoring just about everything else.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Warning mixing Critical Hit Chance with +Critical Hit Damage together will destroy the loving game balance.

I was proccing 600+ sword swipes super duper often.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Turtlicious posted:

Warning mixing Critical Hit Chance with +Critical Hit Damage together will destroy the loving game balance.

I was proccing 600+ sword swipes super duper often.

Thanks for warning us about that, what zone of the game drops them so I avoid destroying my game?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Does +5% critical chance on a weapon means your base 5% chance gets added to for a total of to 10%, or does it mean the 5% gets multiplied for a total of 5.25%?

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.

limaCAT posted:

Thanks for warning us about that, what zone of the game drops them so I avoid destroying my game?

Everywhere.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

I assume it's just added together, critical damage for sure is added together

also no particular zone drops specific stats on gems, so if you really don't want powerful weapons for some reason just don't slot in crit+critdmg

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

So the built in Photo Mode is surprisingly pretty good for Still Life photography.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Digirat posted:

Does +5% critical chance on a weapon means your base 5% chance gets added to for a total of to 10%, or does it mean the 5% gets multiplied for a total of 5.25%?

They stack, so +5% and +11% is +16%, I found in the first few levels two +11%'s then I crafted a +99%Crit Damage, +11% Crit Chance, I ended up having a sword that crit'd every 3rd hit, for 600 damage

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Turtlicious posted:

They stack, so +5% and +11% is +16%, I found in the first few levels two +11%'s then I crafted a +99%Crit Damage, +11% Crit Chance, I ended up having a sword that crit'd every 3rd hit, for 600 damage

Whelp, now I know what I'll be replacing those electro-gems with.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Oh god I am not sure I will resist the temptation then.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 20 days!
With the console (open with ctrl + ~), you can turn off the hud with the command r_draw_hud 0, 1 turns it back on.

This game is so god drat pretty.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Capn Beeb posted:

With the console (open with ctrl + ~), you can turn off the hud with the command r_draw_hud 0, 1 turns it back on.

This game is so god drat pretty.

Runs like silk too, even my slightly aging GTX 760 gets a consistent 60 frames with most settings maxed out. Hats off the the optimization team.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ninjahedgehog posted:

Runs like silk too, even my slightly aging GTX 760 gets a consistent 60 frames with most settings maxed out. Hats off the the optimization team.

They did a really good job with UE4 their custom engine.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

ninjahedgehog posted:

What resolution are you playing on?

Cause my GTX 960 can barely manage running SW2 at 45-60fps/1080p with medium/high settings.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Kinda wanna know that too since I get weird sound hitches time to time.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Jack Trades posted:

What resolution are you playing on?

Cause my GTX 960 can barely manage running SW2 at 45-60fps/1080p with medium/high settings.

1080p as well, I think. I can check my exact settings when I get back from work.

Lazer Monkey
Jan 15, 2005

Be sure to turn on Multi-Res shading if you can, it should boost framerate for most.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Lazer Monkey posted:

Be sure to turn on Multi-Res shading if you can, it should boost framerate for most.

It boost the fps by exactly 2 and 4 frames (for conservative and aggressive settings respectively) on my system, so it's not worth it at all.

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
that doesn't sound right

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

That's why I said specifically on my system.

It's totally possible that I'm bottleneck'ed by my CPU (i5 4670K) and taking the load off GPU won't help that much.

EDIT: Actually, no, I'm not CPU bound at all. I'm definitely bound by GPU and the Agressive Multi-Res setting doesn't add more than 4, maybe 6 frames.
That test you linked is either bullshit, stacked, or I'm doing something wrong.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Oct 18, 2016

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

I have i7 4720HQ and 970M and conservative multi res shading gave me about +4 fps and aggressive about 9 fps boost . I left it off though since I already get above 60 fps most of the time. Also I'm very GPU bottlenecked as it's always 99% used when fps is unlocked.

Sininu fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Oct 18, 2016

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Well if you're running 40FPS and get 9FPS increase, that's a 23% increase :haw:

Jack Trades posted:

That's why I said specifically on my system.

It's totally possible that I'm bottleneck'ed by my CPU (i5 4670K) and taking the load off GPU won't help that much.

EDIT: Actually, no, I'm not CPU bound at all. I'm definitely bound by GPU and the Agressive Multi-Res setting doesn't add more than 4, maybe 6 frames.
That test you linked is either bullshit, stacked, or I'm doing something wrong.

What kind of GPU are you running?

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug

Jack Trades posted:

That test you linked is either bullshit or stacked

Well it is from Nvidia.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
This game is bad, but significantly more fun than games that are good. Hoping for more fun, bad games in the near future.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
How is it bad, out of curiosity?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Stanley Pain posted:

What kind of GPU are you running?

GTX 960 4GB VRAM version.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

This game is bad, but significantly more fun than games that are good. Hoping for more fun, bad games in the near future.

I'd put SW2 as the 4th best PC FPS from the last 5 years, unless I'm forgetting something.
It's slightly worse than DOOMtm, or SW1, or Wolfenstein: The New Order, but it's still an amazing FPS.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Stanley Pain posted:

How is it bad, out of curiosity?

Dumb jokes everywhere are kind of the appeal I guess, but most of it is too heavy handed for my tastes. Voice acting is mostly terrible. Dashing around everywhere is janky as all hell and I'm constantly getting caught on stuff, but you can make weapons overpowered enough that it generally doesn't seem to matter too much. I'm still towards the beginning of the game and a lot of fights are against big groups of boring floating sentry drones, but again dashing around like an idiot is so much fun that it makes up for it. UI is kind of awkward, and there doesn't seem to be a way to quicksell all the garbage you're picking up constantly.

It reminds me a lot of Shadow of Mordor. Really rough in a lot of places, but with underlying gameplay so fun that it doesn't really matter.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

if parts of the game didn't work as well as they did then i feel the overall package would have quickly fallen to pieces, honestly. everything working together the way it does sort of props up the fact that the story and overall characters are stilted and weird. it's still ultimately something i'm having fun with and i look forward to any dlc, but it's clear that to some extent i feel the devs might have gotten lucky given that on paper most of these features should have been a death sentence for a game of this sort.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Dumb jokes everywhere are kind of the appeal I guess, but most of it is too heavy handed for my tastes. Voice acting is mostly terrible. Dashing around everywhere is janky as all hell and I'm constantly getting caught on stuff, but you can make weapons overpowered enough that it generally doesn't seem to matter too much. I'm still towards the beginning of the game and a lot of fights are against big groups of boring floating sentry drones, but again dashing around like an idiot is so much fun that it makes up for it. UI is kind of awkward, and there doesn't seem to be a way to quicksell all the garbage you're picking up constantly.

It reminds me a lot of Shadow of Mordor. Really rough in a lot of places, but with underlying gameplay so fun that it doesn't really matter.

Outside of the UI I don't know how the rest of those make it a bad game. The movement in this game is tight as hell, only slightly less fluid compared to NuDoom. A lot of the rest of your comments kind of make me think you're just bad at the game :shobon: I skipped through literally all the dialogue/cut scenes because they are inconsequential to the game. It's more of a murder simulator, kinda like... Shadow of Mordor.

Shadow of Mordor was rough? It's the only game of its kind that I've actually played to completion. I guess to each their own.

Jack Trades posted:

GTX 960 4GB VRAM version.

You're definitely GPU capped and I can see how the multi-res option wouldn't really do too much. It probably WOULD let you play at a higher resolution though :).

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Shadow of Mordor was the bee's knees. It's the only Assassin's Creed-like that I enjoyed cause it had all the neat powers, and the Nemesis System was really fun and all the orcs would get chopped up in nice flesh pieces by your dude.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

The game feels like it needed another month or two just for polish to fix all the small issues. The UI, clipping NPCs, the uttlery bewildering rapid cuts in the tutorial quest that makes it seem like you're accidentally skipping cutscenes, the way collision in the hubs isn't perfect for getting around quick, etc. The fact that almost all of the UI artwork is just recycled from SW1's excellent animatics is just a giant flashing "we ran out of time" signal.

But the story no amount of month or two could fix. It's like they've got a completely different set of writers than Shadow Warrior 1. The tone is just off and it completely ignores all character development that happened in SW1. If the core combat and weapon design wasn't so loving amazing the game would be a in real trouble.

Also I hope if they do a DLC they give us more spells (where's the very cool shield spell from SW1?) and a gem system for spells with gems similar to the weapon-usage modifying ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Stanley Pain posted:

Outside of the UI I don't know how the rest of those make it a bad game. The movement in this game is tight as hell, only slightly less fluid compared to NuDoom. A lot of the rest of your comments kind of make me think you're just bad at the game :shobon: I skipped through literally all the dialogue/cut scenes because they are inconsequential to the game. It's more of a murder simulator, kinda like... Shadow of Mordor.

I'm playing through it on the hardest difficulty and getting through without too may problems. The only reason the game feels less fluid than Doom 2016 is to do with the way the game handles movement a bit awkwardly when you're jumping and dashing rapidly at the same time and you don't really maintain a consistent momentum while you're doing it. Maybe "bad" is the wrong word, and it's more that they weren't really trying to make something as clearly polished as the new Doom. The overall presentation is similar to other games which have turned out to be mediocre at best, but the actual gameplay is hectic and absurd enough to validate it.

Having a great time, don't get me wrong. It sends off bad game signals, but then isn't one.

• Locked thread