Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
No, Drake is right-handed, so it's a drum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Anchors posted:

No, Drake is right-handed, so it's a drum.

That's only west of the equator.

In NATO speaking countries, it's called Gravedigger's Biscuits.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

It's amazing how many different terms there are for what you load your rooty-tooty point and shooty with.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

UnwiseTrout posted:

It's amazing how many different terms there are for what you load your rooty-tooty point and shooty with.

It's only called a rooty-tooty point and shooty when at least fifteen percent of the initial load of ammunition is used on Welshmen. Otherwise, it's just a magic fire stick.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

It's only called a rooty-tooty point and shooty when at least fifteen percent of the initial load of ammunition is used on Welshmen. Otherwise, it's just a magic fire stick boomstick.

ftfy

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Drake's infinite speed loader storage is the same pocket as his treasure loot storage incidentally. He's gonna feel real silly if one day he finds an antique revolver speed loader sitting around because that's just an expensive mistake waiting to happen!

edit: "Yeah, believe it or not, I found a tenth century speedloader in the ruins. Still in good shape, too, held all my spare bullets real nice. It'll go for a pretty penny on the..." *searches pocket, pulls out normal speedloader* "...aww, crap."

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Oct 7, 2016

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
It's immaterial anyway since he doesn't sell any of the treasure, he just throws it in his attic and occasionally runs around pew pewing it with a nerf gun

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
He stuff all the artifacts in his back pocket whereupon they are immediately crushed when he does actiony stuff. That's why you never see them again.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Oct 7, 2016

NeruVolpi
Apr 23, 2016
I like believing Drake just puts on some dirt in the treasures and puts them back in place.

The shining tickles his OCD.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

There actually is some incredible detail with the guns in this game, even though some of the fictional weapons Naughty Dog designed that will appear later on are weird and probably shouldn't function the way they do in the game. Like when Drake is reloading a shotgun with loose ammo, you can actually see him shoving shells into the magazine tube instead of just miming it.

Another really good game for photo mode is The Order: 1886. Debate all you want about its quality (I personally enjoyed playing it), but it was clearly meant as a PS4 graphics showcase. Every part of the guns is lovingly detailed, down to being able to see more rounds in the magazine through the ejection port if you go into photo mode right after shooting.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
Sometimes even people mostly forgotten in popular history rooted out deep-cover assassins and took bricks to the head putting down riots.

Podbean / RSS / iTunes / Stitcher / Google Play Music

Episode 11: John Jay

America's founders have been immortalized, lionized, and mythologized; but one seems to have fallen through the cracks. Grant shares what he's learned about John Jay, the forgotten father. Was he instrumental to the birth of the United States, or did he just happen to be in the right place at the right time? Is he forgotten because he left things half done in his career, or because he used his retirement to rest? Why on Earth is this episode mostly about a horse Alaina made up?

[ed note: An actual Jay scholar has corrected us. The horse was named Hermoso.]

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Sic Parvis Magna and all that
Apologies for the hiatus! My schedule got really busy and I also ended up running out of backlog for the LP. Let's get back to it! There's a decent amount of crate pushing in this episode, but it's balanced out by a lot of skeletons and flying kicks.

Episode 9: Punchin' and Lunchin'.....Cut Commentary.....Baldurdash

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
First: Sully, what are you doing doubting this? You've been in this sort of thing three times.

Second: Gotta love how an action movie breaks out in Scotland between our heroes and ridiculously numerous South African mercenaries who shoot tresspassers on sight and have military-grade weapons. Even given that this is supposed to be a forsaken span of the northwestern coast, isn't that against, like, all the laws?

Jetrauben fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Oct 18, 2016

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

it's not a pocket watch but it'll go fabulously with your Papa Chongo wall sculpture

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
So... we're going to a Pirate Volcano Lair next?

That's like the single-most awesome concept in the history of ever.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Not my gif, but appropriate:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Jetrauben posted:

First: Sully, what are you doing doubting this? You've been in this sort of thing three times.

Second: Gotta love how an action movie breaks out in Scotland between our heroes and ridiculously numerous South African mercenaries who shoot tresspassers on sight and have military-grade weapons. Even given that this is supposed to be a forsaken span of the northwestern coast, isn't that against, like, all the laws?

Nathan Drake is a law unto himself at this point.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

chiasaur11 posted:

Nathan Drake is a law unto himself at this point.

Oh, it's not Nathan I'm wondering about, it's Shoreline.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

That first puzzle isn't the same every time you play it if I remember right. Plus there's an achievement for getting it in 10 moves or less.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
I was honestly expecting Elena to go "Nate it's not really monsoon season, what the gently caress did you do this time?" at some point during that last cutscene. I mean, why else would she have brought it up?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Jetrauben posted:

Oh, it's not Nathan I'm wondering about, it's Shoreline.

When Nathan arrived, this part of Scotland came under his jurisdiction.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

chiasaur11 posted:

When Nathan arrived, this part of Scotland came under his jurisdiction.

After Rafe mentioned they've been using the dynamite too much he should have mentioned that Nate getting his hands on dynamite makes him the most destructive person in the world.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Afrikaner mercenaries, the most law-abiding people on Earth.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Grizzwold posted:

I was honestly expecting Elena to go "Nate it's not really monsoon season, what the gently caress did you do this time?" at some point during that last cutscene. I mean, why else would she have brought it up?

I was expecting the camera to pan to a boarding pass for a flight to Madagascar.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

So considering how pirates normally deal with treasure, how many times did they have to rebuild that entire room with the cross?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

SlothfulCobra posted:

So considering how pirates normally deal with treasure, how many times did they have to rebuild that entire room with the cross?

Yeah, you'd think they'd want to go with a trap that could be much more easily reset. Granted maybe the floor was just supposed to swing out like a trapdoor or something and all the time+dynamite caused it to collapse instead.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Jetrauben posted:

Raife bought all that land, so it's his property. so no what happens on private property stays on private property.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
drat, Elena's facial expressions toward the end there. I love when games let you see a person silently struggling with something and don't condescend to simply tell you what it is. Especially when it could be multiple things.

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Sic Parvis Magna and all that
Yeah, failing the trial at the end is meant to just open up the floor to drop you into the spike pit. It just fell apart because it's super old.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

I'm sorta behind in episodes, but I have to wonder: Is the guy who voices Rafe the same guy who does Barry in Archer?

I keep expecting him to start talking to "Other Rafe."

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Felinoid posted:

drat, Elena's facial expressions toward the end there. I love when games let you see a person silently struggling with something and don't condescend to simply tell you what it is. Especially when it could be multiple things.

This game's facial animation really is some of the best I've ever seen in a videogame.

edit: A little touch I like is that after the poo poo hits the fan and guns start shooting, there's dynamite and explody barrels leading through the tunnel back to the surface. Because, y'know, that's how Nadine and company got to the Drakes.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Oct 18, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Here is how good the facial animation is in this game.

http://i.imgur.com/ZHEF4xF.gifv

Look at Nate. That is the most "gently caress yeah this is cool as hell" expression and you can tell he's thinking that just by what he does with his face in this shot. God drat, man.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
but LA Noir

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Not gonna lie, I was hoping that the place would start collapsing on you this episode. Really felt like the right time.

And I can totally get you being busy these days. Though, it's an anecdote from poo poo I do in my actual life, so I'm hesitant to speak about it. I prefer my privacy while I have it.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

This level must have a solid hour of straight up walking and zero difficulty platforming. This level sucks. Sure, it looks alright, but that's about all it has going for it.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Josuke Higashikata posted:

This level must have a solid hour of straight up walking and zero difficulty platforming. This level sucks. Sure, it looks alright, but that's about all it has going for it.

I don't fully agree with you, but I totally see where you're coming from. If it weren't for the dialog as well as the aesthetics of the stage, I'd find it lackluster, myself.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

As has been mentioned, unlike the previous Uncharted games which only captured the actor's motions, Uncharted 4 captures the actor's facial expressions as well which goes a long way to conveying actual emotion.

Also screw you Chip I was so proud of myself to have found the Strange Relic treasure without looking up anything only for you come along and tell me there are 2 other hidden treasures that I missed :mad:

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

I am very curious about the power dynamic between Nadine and Rafe. Before their scene I had assumed Rafe would be impotently ordering her around and threatening to cut her off from his $ if she didn't do what he said because He's The Boss, but they seem to be...actual partners?

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

So here we have another instance of following weird clues to find a ridiculous hidden treasure spot that turns out to be a vantage point to the real treasure. Except that will turn out to be only the next clue. In the end the goal is nowhere near the place all your hints pointed to. That was grating enough with the "entrance to Shambhala", I wonder how long they'll stretch it in this game.

I called it so hard and I'm still disappointed.

Also if the treasure is where we think it is now that volcano will 100% erupt just in time to make sure no one gets any treasure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

If it ends with some "the real treasure is friendship/Jesus" thing (as the pirates' goal, not the game because of COURSE family being the important thing is going to be Nate's moral) I will be annoyed.

• Locked thread