Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Blue Meowth and red Raticate look loving awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I want a Shiny Alolan Muk.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

:effort:

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJnB7EHQ2XU

Shinydex scroll through.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the alolan meowth line is supposed to be something that only royalty had access to at first so it's actually kind of fitting that alolan persian is some doofy-rear end garfield thing

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Wimpod's evolution is so drat good. I can't wait to have that guy on my team. He can join Vikavolt and Heracross on the Bug Murder Squad.

I am legitimately sad that there was no Alolan Primeape though. I love that furious monkey so much and he is utterly useless.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Shiny Alola Raichu I am dead from cute give him to me now holy poo poo

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I love how the shiny sandcastle has black sand. A nice Hawaiian touch.

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell

black palossand, sweet.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Shiny Vikavolt is amazing.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Purugly is cool Alolan Persian is a dumb

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Also I like Browlem

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Dexie posted:

Wait.

All of these images are from Team Preview so I guess that confirms that Ultra Beasts are catchable?

It's possible they're coded as pokemon just to avoid having to write a whole bunch of special-case code to cover them. If that's true, then the game wouldn't freak out if one is in your party, even if it's impossible to actually obtain one.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I hope they can datamine types for all the new guys soon.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Dexie posted:

The tools will work on the full game when it leaks out two weeks early.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Team Skull is great and I want them to beat me up 24/7

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

cheetah7071 posted:

It's possible they're coded as pokemon just to avoid having to write a whole bunch of special-case code to cover them. If that's true, then the game wouldn't freak out if one is in your party, even if it's impossible to actually obtain one.

Yeah but if they are just Pokemon in code only, why would they bother making the shiny forms different from the regular ones?

I really hope I can use those hosed up weird things as battle buddies.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

thats how the pokestar studios opponents were handled, so yeah probably

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Dexie posted:

I think everything but the shiny models were dummied out with Pikachu's data. We have the non-shiny models only because of a weird loophole.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Mimikyu stays its perfect self, good

And is the candle dude the mew or is it just at the end

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah but if they are just Pokemon in code only, why would they bother making the shiny forms different from the regular ones?

I really hope I can use those hosed up weird things as battle buddies.

The game probably freaks out if they don't define a shiny form for each pokemon

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Yeah, it possible that they are just coded as Pokemon to spare GF the :effort: of programming a second type of battle encounter script and preventing them from being hacked into the player's team without the game freaking out.

We won't know for sure until November.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Also is candle boy the snowman I hope so

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

McDragon posted:

Mimikyu stays its perfect self, good

And is the candle dude the mew or is it just at the end

It's the Mew.

The Chinese leaks say it has a 'very unique typing' so I'm curious how that's going to go.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

They'd better distribute him properly then, he's lovely

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

cheetah7071 posted:

I think he's saying that if they weren't obtainable, then why isn't the "shiny" form just the exact same as the regular one, because the effort doing the recoloring would be wasted if you couldn't get them.

I'm not entirely convinced shinies are created manually, though, given some of the really terrible ones out there. They might just randomly select a new color palette and generate the new sprite/model that way, in which case it wouldn't matter.

Did Pokestar things have shiny versions?

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride

hopeandjoy posted:

Yeah, it possible that they are just coded as Pokemon to spare GF the :effort: of programming a second type of battle encounter script and preventing them from being hacked into the player's team without the game freaking out.

We won't know for sure until November.

I do wonder why they would bother actually making shiny coloration rather than just having dupe models, but yeah, didn't they do something like this with the way data was laid out for pokestar studios too?

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

im really upset about the cats this gen. persian looks dumb and the wrestler cat is too big to sit in my lap to be pet. gonna have to just roll with an eviolite torracat i guess... sigh...

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

cheetah7071 posted:

Yeah that's what I said. My point is if they only put in a shiny because the code required it, there's no reason they would look different from the regular ones.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)

sharrrk posted:

im really upset about the cats this gen. persian looks dumb and the wrestler cat is too big to sit in my lap to be pet. gonna have to just roll with an eviolite torracat i guess... sigh...

be loyal and get an espurr

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Tired Moritz posted:

be loyal and get an espurr

you think i dont alreayd have one

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

McDragon posted:

Also is candle boy the snowman I hope so

I think it turned out you could read the chinese for snowman as yeti instead, so crabrawler is yerr snowman

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

The aether people became ultra beasts so they could hug wrestlecat, but they can't hug like that. It's tragic

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

McDragon posted:

The aether people became ultra beasts so they could hug wrestlecat, but they can't hug like that. It's tragic

Why would buff mosquito want to hug wrestlecat? They would be lifting buddies surely.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Funkmaster General posted:

I think he's saying that if they weren't obtainable, then why isn't the "shiny" form just the exact same as the regular one, because the effort doing the recoloring would be wasted if you couldn't get them.

I'm not entirely convinced shinies are created manually, though, given some of the really terrible ones out there. They might just randomly select a new color palette and generate the new sprite/model that way, in which case it wouldn't matter.

Did Pokestar things have shiny versions?

I think the really old ones (like, GBC era) had their shiny forms made by shifting their pallet, but the modern ones are manually made. It's easier to retexture a model than recolor a sprite, I believe. (Though neither is difficult.)

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I think it turned out you could read the chinese for snowman as yeti instead, so crabrawler is yerr snowman

Oh, a yeti is cool as well. Plus this candle guy is basically what I wanted from a snowman Pokemon

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Depends on how the palettes are handled. I know for the Sprite based games the Sprite and the actual colors for it were different files.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

hopeandjoy posted:

I think the really old ones (like, GBC era) had their shiny forms made by shifting their pallet, but the modern ones are manually made. It's easier to retexture a model than recolor a sprite, I believe. (Though neither is difficult.)

I think this has to be the case since a lot of recent shinies seem more intentional while the Lime Green Pokemon tend to mostly be in Gen 2. Espeon, Ursaring, ect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
dont we already have a candle pokemon