Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
I enjoy that they added a difficulty between Overkill and Death Wish because people were (rightfully) saying that there was a huge gap between the two difficulties and now instead of a big gap between Overkill and Death Wish we now have a big gap between Overkill and Mayhem

Like way to miss the point guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Insert name here posted:

I enjoy that they added a difficulty between Overkill and Death Wish because people were (rightfully) saying that there was a huge gap between the two difficulties and now instead of a big gap between Overkill and Death Wish we now have a big gap between Overkill and Mayhem

there's bound to be bumps that need to be smoothed out when you introduce a difficulty like Mayhem or One Down, its just that Mayhem has mountains as opposed to bumps

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Insert name here posted:

this really sums it up. so much of this was avoidable, and so much of Housewarming was really great. so dumb

Psion fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Oct 17, 2016

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

LuciferMorningstar posted:

1. "I don't like it" is not even remotely similar to "is not viable." If some individuals can use a particular setup and carry at least their share of the weight in a heist, then they have demonstrated the viability of the build. Inability to replicate that success isn't an indictment of the build itself.

2. The discussion is relevant since we're considering various balance shifts across Payday's existence. This information puts the current state of affairs in perspective.

3. Again, personal experience is not enough to show that ICTV isn't workable. It might not be mathematically optimal, but we're not trying to determine the one true build. We're assessing what builds are good enough (the only bar that really matters).

4. Jules is an idiot and I have no idea why anyone thinks his perspectives on what is or is not viable are worth listening to anymore.

lol because he's the one behind this clusterfuck and thinks that using shotgun overkill + frenzy as a baseline is cool and good and not, in fact, awful? something has to be pretty mammothly terrible for him to admit something's wrong dude, if he says something is good you can doubt it but if he says something is bad it's like chris roberts admitting that he overpromised on something.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!
I pulled some numbers out of my rear end and probably came up with a better set of values than what currently exists. Or maybe not. Who knows?

Coolguye posted:

lol because he's the one behind this clusterfuck and thinks that using shotgun overkill + frenzy as a baseline is cool and good and not, in fact, awful? something has to be pretty mammothly terrible for him to admit something's wrong dude, if he says something is good you can doubt it but if he says something is bad it's like chris roberts admitting that he overpromised on something.

ICTV is good enough to get through One Down, as evidenced by multiple people using it to do just that. That's all there really is to it. If Jules isn't competent enough to make it work, that's his problem.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I wouldn't mind some more balancing being done against 1D enemies as an effective buff to ictv. the idea of difficulty-level specific armor is fiddly bullshit along the lines of Tripwire's garbage fire of a resist system, so I'm predisposed to think that's awful by default, and it's absolutely something I do not trust Jules to get right. Ever.

like, all things being equal, if I invest more into survivability I should get more survivability. right now, that's not really there. That's bad balance, regardless of whether or not it meets the minimum bar of 'technically usable.'

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

People saying that pre-frenzy berserker was risky or hard to manage: lmfao

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

ICTV is good enough to get through One Down, as evidenced by multiple people using it to do just that. That's all there really is to it. If Jules isn't competent enough to make it work, that's his problem.
I got my loud 1D cheevos using almost entirely the AMCAR so by your logic you and the rest of everyone saying to use crossbows and poo poo are just massive bads

So I guess that's just your problem

Ps this is not a joke I actually did that

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Coolguye posted:

I got my loud 1D cheevos using almost entirely the AMCAR so by your logic you and the rest of everyone saying to use crossbows and poo poo are just massive bads

do you like hurting other people yourself?

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF
Ok, after 11 straight days of patching I'm kind of tired of force enabling Goonmod. Wilko, is there any way that you could allow us to permanently force enable it? Even if it's a bad idea to make it a checkbox in the menu, maybe let us edit a lua file to do it.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Coolguye posted:

I mean, yeah, if you did actually make an AMCAR work for your loud heists, then it's viable. Color me skeptical about your claim, though.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

watho posted:

People saying that pre-frenzy berserker was risky or hard to manage: lmfao

Uh yeah? ICTV could only tank sniper shots with Armorer and Bulletproof in the old days and we didn't have vastly improved damage reduction or health recovery until like Gambler. Infiltrator was a decent deck but it wasn't great when it came out like it later became. Running around at 10% HP on Deathwish for the damage boost absolutely had risk/reward tied to it unless you want to discuss the old meta under lower difficulties. :laffo:

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

spit on my clit posted:

there's bound to be bumps that need to be smoothed out when you introduce a difficulty like Mayhem or One Down, its just that Mayhem has mountains as opposed to bumps

This is especially true if you don't beta test your changes and just look at them on paper.
:colbert:

(EDIT) Oh and Shadow Warrior 2 is loving awesome. It's what Borderlands wanted to be and missed the mark... a ton.

Malek fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Oct 18, 2016

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Just as an aside, the dumb accuracy cheevo can be cheesed at the moment.

Kill 2 (or 3 to be absolutely safe) gangsters with one shot of your explosive weapon of choice, and then throw yourself off the roof.

Achievement get! (because overkill didn't sanity check to see if "heist over by death" =/= "heist completed")

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

I mean, yeah, if you did actually make an AMCAR work for your loud heists, then it's viable. Color me skeptical about your claim, though.

have you ever heard the phrase "just because you can doesn't mean you should"?

i use it mostly for disruption, to feed sentries and make cops surrender at the lowest overall cost possible, rather than to actually kill cops like the game intends. this does not actually make it terribly viable in, you know, being a gun, it is exploiting lovely holes in a broken system. armor vs dodge works the same way. ICTV takes ~2 shots to break in the current regime, which is ~1 shot more than a suit. due to the 100% accuracy of cops and the particulars of dodge the chance of it taking multiple more shots to break armor on a suit nears certainty, and ICTV does not actually function as intended in the current situation. you can kind of make armor still sort of function using tertiary effects in armorer but again that doesn't make it viable in being armor, that's exploiting a lovely hole in a broken system.

you're welcome to define 'viable' in your own ridiculously obtuse way, but i post this to point out that you're taking a really, really weird definition compared to the way most people see things and considering your posting history in this thread you seem to do it purely so you can attempt to wank yourself off at being l33t at a 4 year old game and that's really unattractive to, well, normal people

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Coolguye posted:

have you ever heard the phrase "just because you can doesn't mean you should"?

i use it mostly for disruption, to feed sentries and make cops surrender at the lowest overall cost possible, rather than to actually kill cops like the game intends. this does not actually make it terribly viable in, you know, being a gun, it is exploiting lovely holes in a broken system. armor vs dodge works the same way. ICTV takes ~2 shots to break in the current regime, which is ~1 shot more than a suit. due to the 100% accuracy of cops and the particulars of dodge the chance of it taking multiple more shots to break armor on a suit nears certainty, and ICTV does not actually function as intended in the current situation. you can kind of make armor still sort of function using tertiary effects in armorer but again that doesn't make it viable in being armor, that's exploiting a lovely hole in a broken system.

you're welcome to define 'viable' in your own ridiculously obtuse way, but i post this to point out that you're taking a really, really weird definition compared to the way most people see things and considering your posting history in this thread you seem to do it purely so you can attempt to wank yourself off at being l33t at a 4 year old game and that's really unattractive to, well, normal people

I mean, your approach is actually kind of clever? If it's getting you through heists, then... Sorry you're so worked up about it.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
They probably should start fixing OD by at least making the stealth maps at least as difficult as DW. That's a pretty weird inverse.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Coolguye posted:

Man.. if people like you understood game development you'd know that Star Citizen is going to be a huge success. It will have everything that payday 2 has and so much more.

Perhaps when CIG skims this awful forum for dissenters and your permabanned from SC for being one of the bad goons you will come back and apologise. Until then you should go learn what 'transparent development' means and why it's a good thing there's no lovely publishers dealing with it. Troll.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

On an actual serious note though, I'm glad to see wilko doing awesome stuff with the game. Payday 2 is actually good again!

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
wilko for president of overkill

make payday great again

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Coolwhoami posted:

They probably should start fixing OD by at least making the stealth maps at least as difficult as DW. That's a pretty weird inverse.

s'a buncha bugs involving implementation of the maps. Similar things have happened before. Word on the street is that the mapmaking system is insanely difficult to use. A big part of why this difficulty didn't have map-specific tweaks like DW, according to Jules, was that "map designers" who actually know how to edit maps, weren't available.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Discendo Vox posted:

s'a buncha bugs involving implementation of the maps. Similar things have happened before. Word on the street is that the mapmaking system is insanely difficult to use. A big part of why this difficulty didn't have map-specific tweaks like DW, according to Jules, was that "map designers" who actually know how to edit maps, weren't available.

Well, at least they took their time to get the loud gameplay right...

YET ANOTHER FAG
Mar 6, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Drewjitsu posted:

Just as an aside, the dumb accuracy cheevo can be cheesed at the moment.

Kill 2 (or 3 to be absolutely safe) gangsters with one shot of your explosive weapon of choice, and then throw yourself off the roof.

Achievement get! (because overkill didn't sanity check to see if "heist over by death" =/= "heist completed")

For those of you that are curious:
https://youtu.be/IUUK8rC9HmU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Have you considered a new career? Armed Robbery is a Felony. Please Proceed.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
John Wick weapon pack. That was quick.

http://www.overkillsoftware.com/games/jwweaponpack/

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Wick it up, Bitches.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

So the UMP, the HK P30, and... a sniper rifle? Probably a dragunov since they have a model for it in the safehouse but I didn't see the sniper in the video well enough.

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009

Grapplejack posted:

So the UMP, the HK P30, and... a sniper rifle? Probably a dragunov since they have a model for it in the safehouse but I didn't see the sniper in the video well enough.

Looks like it might be the DTA Scout he used in the first movie.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Hoping for doggie biscuitpencil throwable. And that's a baller trailer they made this time.

edit: the hallway is a matrix callout, and the beginning is a perfect recreation of part of Red Circle :allears:

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Oct 18, 2016

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That in no way a dragunov. We already have the dragunov with the AK DMR kit.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

It'll be interesting to see how they balance the weapons. Fitting them into the current hosed-up meta will generate a lot of pay2win rage (partially justifiably, for once) and fitting them into the old balance will make them useless to anyone who plays on Mayhem or above.

Either way, I'm sure Steam will be salty and it'll be fun.

Lynx posted:

Looks like it might be the DTA Scout he used in the first movie.

That'd be my first guess too, but then Gage thinks ninjas use Kriss Vectors, so there's precedent for Ovk to just pick something and model it. That said, the framing of the shot is pretty similar to how it was framed in John Wick, so you're probably right.

Psion fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Oct 18, 2016

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Psion posted:

Payday 2: Either way, I'm sure Steam will be salty and it'll be fun.

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!
Going to be disappointed if all 4 masks aren't just different styles of shades.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I have to disagree, one of them should be a dog mask.

Soral
May 30, 2009

it's been two whole years and wick still hasnt learned to count how many times he pulled the trigger

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I really want them to put the "One" bug back in.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

That steam salt thing reminded me: Payday's been getting more press from places like RPS after the housewarming event. It's truly amazing how much bitterness is still present in the comments.

"Boycott this lying piece of poo poo developer. Several times throughout development they promised, PROMISED ON THEIR PRIDE, that they would not add micro transactions. Then they added them. Get bent overkill."

OVERKILL HEISTED MY HOPES AND DREAMS :qq:

I hope this person hasn't heard of Electronic Arts, they might have a coronary.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
The meth recipe already let us know how important salt water is to the Payday gang.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Am I the first goon to get the One Down mask? Anyway, it should be more manageable now with the headshot buff simply because guns will be more reliable. Also I am getting reports from Chorse that using stun grenades on One Down is a pro strat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

RandallODim posted:

The meth recipe already let us know how important salt water is to the Payday gang.

:vince:

holy poo poo, that's a fantastic burn

UnknownMercenary posted:

Also I am getting reports from Chorse that using stun grenades on One Down is a pro strat.

who got them from me :v:

but yes, flashbangs are absolutely a gamechanger on 1D. They're incredible for preventing enemy fire from focusing you the minute you pop out of cover - be it to relocate to a new safe spot (the Overkill 145+ strategy of "be where they aren't") or to give yourself a few seconds to headshot a group of enemies down. And with 24 minimum per team per mission, you can afford to use them anytime it starts to look sticky.

Psion fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Oct 18, 2016