Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

PerniciousKnid posted:

In what way is 1846 a step "up" from Chicago Express?

If Steam is a satisfying game in its own right, I won't miss the stock market at all. 1846 is probably at my ceiling for stock market tolerance; it seems like a satisfying mechanic, but maybe a bit too fiddly with moving all that cash around. I'm not looking for a game where I can short-sell opponents into bankruptcy or whatever it is people do in those games.
1846 is not part of the 1830 branch of the family, so there is little stock manipulation because hurting a company generally hurts you more than it hurts other people. 1846 differs from 1830-likes in the following ways:

- It's a partial capitalisation game, as opposed to 1830 with its full capitalisation. In order to float a company in either games, you need 50% of the company, but in 1830 once the company is floated, you get 100% of the money (so, for example, if you set the par price of the stocks at 100 each, once you reach 50% of the company sold, the company receives the full 1000). In 1846, a company ONLY gets the money for shares sold, and doesn't get the full amount once floated.
- In partial capitalisation games, shares unsold pay directly into the company (they don't need to be bought from the initial offering and then sold in order to do that like in 1830). Also, since for every share you buy, you pay money into the company directly, buying shares of an opponent's company gives a cash injection to the company.
- 1846 is a two train game. It is very, very easy to get a single end-game train in 1846, and this largely encourages people not to dump companies. The usual strategy is to have a strong early-running company, buy an end-game train with it, and then use a second company to buy another end-game train for your first company.

All the above leads to bankruptcies being unlikely and, to be honest, almost impossible unless you yourself gently caress up big time. What it leads is a very strategic route building/tokening game that is reminiscent of Chicago Express, but slightly deeper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Tekopo posted:

What it leads is a very strategic route building/tokening game that is reminiscent of Chicago Express, but slightly deeper.

How does the route building/tokening differ between 1846 and CE (and Steam)? In what sense is 1846 deeper? I think that's the part I'm most curious about, but BGG comparisons tend to focus on comparing stock markets.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

PerniciousKnid posted:

How does the route building/tokening differ between 1846 and CE (and Steam)? In what sense is 1846 deeper? I think that's the part I'm most curious about, but BGG comparisons tend to focus on comparing stock markets.
The route building/tokening differs from CE in the following ways (I haven't played Steam in a good long while and don't remember it + I dislike pick up and deliver games):

- All track built is shared with all the companies in the game, so building a route is, in effect, building it for every single company on the board (compared to companies in CE just building their own track). It is still possible to block people with track, since track only upgrades in certain ways, so it is possible to stop someone from upgrading a track the way they want.
- The blocking that is present within CE (since only a limited number of companies can enter a space depending on what it is) is replaced by tokening: every city on the board has a number of token slots, and you can spend money from the company to place a token there. Tokens have two effects: the route your trains run must have at least one city with the companies' token in their route, and as well as that, if all token slots in a city are taken, only the companies with tokens in those cities can run trains through the city. This means that you can stop your opponent from running lucrative routes.
- Only the majority share holder for a company can create track, buy trains and lay down tokens for that company, which differs from CE.

The reason why it is deeper is that, along with laying down track, you also need to consider buying trains (and how many of them), when to pay for tokens (and where to place them) and making sure that the company has enough money to last in the future (in CE if you ran out of money in a company it can be difficult if you invested a lot of money in it but it doesn't make you financially accountable like 1846 does). As well as that, you can buy and sell shares, which is not something that you can do in CE (IIRC).

al-azad
May 28, 2009

BioTech posted:

Had a blast with Blood Rage over the weekend again.

Whole story on the last few pages just shows what happens if someone gets to pick what he wanted completely uncontested. Why fight everyone else if you can just score points by being ignored? Smart move. Ofcourse he isn't going to join in on more fights if he gets crushed doing just that the age before. Same with the re-pillage card and the one that allows you to sacrifice men for better stats. If someone sits in a corner repeating one of those moves you either rush to end the age by pillaging all zones or contest their re-pillage, don't just let them sit there simply because he isn't fighting you.

Once again, it's a worse move to contest someone because you're sacrificing points for yourself. You can't pillage an already pillaged spot (without the upgrade or monster), so a player with the sacrifice ability is relatively safe unless a fire giant could invade. If someone is going for one of the "be strongest in territory" quests you could invade or move to block them but then you're spending unnecessary rage to not gain anything unless you also have one of those quests. You could "rush the age" by agreeing to pillage as fast as possible, but the mechanics don't encourage letting another player get a free pillage when you could get glory for challenging them. Every lost fight is points for another player and if the pillager loses you just delayed the game by another turn. Blood Rage mechanically rewards the player who can outlast everyone else because at 0 rage you're done.

At the end of the day I acknowledge my opponent outplayed me because everything they did is natural to an area control game. My fundamental objection is in the draft where cards get objectively better at no additional cost and sweeping changes to the board can be enacted. Combine that with gameplay that discourages going after another player, because it outright costs you points to do so, and you end up with a really confused product that looks pretty and isn't strong in any area.

After a lot of thinking about my overall experience with the game the past year, Kemet is everything I want Blood Rage to be and it's also more strongly thematic than what Blood Rage thinks it is. It rewards aggression even if you lose all your men to a fight, all upgrades are visible so you can immediately counter your opponents or prepare for a shift in their strategy, it's as fast as Blood Rage, and combat is just as simple but there are more factors to decide beyond who has the highest number.

The ideal Blood Rage in my head is Kemet on a smaller map.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Trip report: I mixed adult codenames cards in with my regular codenames cards

Conclusion: that was a bad loving idea and those cards are really aggressively unfun so maybe I'll just burn the whole lot and rebuy regular codenames to get the taint out

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Sockser posted:

Conclusion: that was a bad loving idea and those cards are really aggressively unfun so maybe I'll just burn the whole lot and rebuy regular codenames to get the taint out

Would it be that hard to look through the cards and take out the one that says "taint"?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Sockser posted:

Yeah I was initially positive about dirty Codenames until someone pointed out that even the non-dirty words are proper nouns with fewer associations than the generic nouns in Codenames. After playing it I can't really recommend anyone buy it except as a gift to that "one friend" who owns every expansion to CAH.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

al-azad posted:

Yeah I was initially positive about dirty Codenames until someone pointed out that even the non-dirty words are proper nouns with fewer associations than the generic nouns in Codenames. After playing it I can't really recommend anyone buy it except as a gift to that "one friend" who owns every expansion to CAH.

That just encourages them more.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

al-azad posted:

The ideal Blood Rage in my head is Kemet on a smaller map.

You going to give Inis a try?

lockdar
Jul 7, 2008

Spiel report time! I spend 2 days working for NSKN and Strawberry Studio this time around, if one of you played 3 Whishes or/and Whats Up on thursday or friday at our stand in hall 6 there's a decent change I was the guy giving you the explanation.I received Simurgh, Simurgh: Call of the Dragonlords, In the name of Odin and Progress for working those 2 days. Saturday and sunday were spend playing and buying games.

Small Star Empires by Archona Games
Small (yeah, really...) game that can be played by 2-4 players. It's played on a modular board that consists of star systems with 0-3 planets or a nebula. You're moving your spaceships around claiming systems you land on, you can't move through systems your opponents has claimed. All the system tiles are double sided so every game is different than the previous one. It's 30 euros so it's a bit pricey but I like supporting small studios.

4 Gods by Ludically
I was really looking forward to giving this a try, it's always interesting to see games that include a realtime element. I got a chance to try it out saturday with 2 other people, the explanation was quick and easy so we could jump straight into it. The mechanics were good, everything was clear and the game started out like it should, we were scrambling for tiles and placing them as fast as we could and claiming our areas, cities and gods. After about 10 minutes however the game bogged down quickly with fewer and fewer options to place our tiles. At a certain point we were just staring at the board and the tiles we still had left and neither of us could do anything. A fun game to play but I wouldn't buy it myself.

Nine Worlds by Medusa Games
I was thinking about buying this simply because of the artwork which is amazing. It's an area control game played in the nine realms of nordic mythology, you spread your infuence (stones) across the realms and try to gain control of them so you an activate their powers. Some of them are alot more powerfull then others so conflict is encouraged. I only played one game but it felt a bit rigid, both my opponents were going for controlling just 2 worlds so I was forced to spread out as much as possible to keep up. The problem was conflct resolution and gaining initiative for the next turn. Due to several worlds having the power to just destroy stones the players controlling those worlds were sure to stay in the number 1 initiative spot. Fun but just for a couple of games.

Thats all I remember for now, more might pop up later.

Jedit posted:

Blood Rage was selling for €79 at at least one stand.

I think that was just the german version, not sure cause after hearing the €100,- price tag I didn't really look for it.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Jedit posted:

FFG had it in their display case along with Eldritch Horror: The Dreamlands, but I don't think it was being demonstrated. What I do know is that it's only for 1 or 2 players.

A single core box is 1-2 players but the game is 1-4 players. The early chatter from Arkham Nights is extremely positive (but obviously keep in mind these are from people excited to go and play that specifically).

I didn't see a lot of specific review talk, just general impressions, but a big one was that the game engine felt a lot better than LotR. The more restrictive actions meant that decisions on what to do/cards to play felt like they had a lot more impact. General gushing about the theme. Best LCG Core Box experience (doesn't feel gimped and you can get decent play out of it). That replayability won't be quite as bad as was worried because of different choices you can make (besides playing a different char).
I am pretty excited even if I don't buy all the mega positive hype...but I am also way way into LotR LCG and this feels like the next step haha.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Tekopo posted:

The route building/tokening differs from CE in the following ways (I haven't played Steam in a good long while and don't remember it + I dislike pick up and deliver games):

Thanks for the summary. What's the implication of pick up and deliver, is it basically just randomizing the appeal of connections, compared to 1846's fixed map?

I hate auctions and sabotage because they're incomprehensible to new players, so I guess I can forget CE exists.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

PerniciousKnid posted:

Thanks for the summary. What's the implication of pick up and deliver, is it basically just randomizing the appeal of connections, compared to 1846's fixed map?

I hate auctions and sabotage because they're incomprehensible to new players, so I guess I can forget CE exists.
That's basically right. It kind of randomises what routes are good per turn (I think, I don't remember the game well).

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Oldstench posted:

Somebody should try it so they can tell me how it is. Somebody who isn't SU&SD.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

al-azad posted:

We played it at a recent convention and it was eh. I think I prefer words -> pictures -> undercover. I think regular rear end words lends itself more to more and more abstract connections. It's the worst drat feeling giving a clue and your team immediately pointing out 4 things that you didn't even think about.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Just got an email from CSI that Feast for Odin is back in stock (showing 20+ available), and I just ordered one. :cool:

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Thanks for that update on Feast for Odin, I just saved 20 bucks cancelling an amazon order and switching to CSI.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Oldstench posted:

It is now on my wishlist, thanks for the heads up. Reading the description I'm nodding my head at everything it's talking about.

I won't go on anymore about Blood Rage but there are three things that make an enjoyable game for me.

#1: If there's random or hidden information I want some way to assess its meaning. In Through the Ages I don't know what military cards you hold but your position informs it. The weakest player is probably holding onto defense cards. Someone who just bought a bunch of units is probably also going to play a tactics card to jump on top. The strongest player likely has bad events (for the weakest players) or wars. I don't know 100% but I feel like I can accurately guess.

#2: If I counter an opponent it should be a net gain. In Agricola if you take sheep then not only are you denying your opponent points in multiple ways (such as end of game scoring or food), you're also gaining points. Nothing is worse than feeling like you're playing poorly to keep someone else from running away with everything.

#3: After the game I want to discuss how things could've progressed differently. Sometimes you just outclass someone to the point where they couldn't recover. But the most exciting games reveal the winner's strategy, how it could be countered, and how another player's strategy could've won if something was done differently. The worst times I've had end with everyone scrunching their faces at the table until someone inevitably says "well that sure was a board game!"

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

COOL CORN posted:

Just got an email from CSI that Feast for Odin is back in stock (showing 20+ available), and I just ordered one. :cool:

:toot: thanks for this and picked up a copy that'll still get here before Amazon!

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?

COOL CORN posted:

Hell yeah. Time to obsessively read the rulebook until it gets delivered.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Tekopo posted:

That's basically right. It kind of randomises what routes are good per turn (I think, I don't remember the game well).

Per game would make sense, but per turn sounds kind of dumb.

Edit: Is four hours a reasonable play time for 1846? Longer for newbies, presumably?

PerniciousKnid fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Oct 17, 2016

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
YESSSSSS Feat for Odin delivered ahead of schedule :slick:

I'm stuck with work NOOOOOOOOOO :negative:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

PerniciousKnid posted:

Per game would make sense, but per turn sounds kind of dumb.

Edit: Is four hours a reasonable play time for 1846? Longer for newbies, presumably?
Me and my experienced fellow 18XXers could finish it in 4, yes. Newbies will take longer. Bring a spreadsheet to do the end :)

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
A friend who Silvergoose knows has finished 1846 in less than an hour with players who know the game and his games no matter what don't go past two hours.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

In other 18xx talk, 1860 continues to wreck me in new and infuriating ways. Everything I know is wrong. I do love the stunts you can pull with stocks and train juggling though.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

ChiTownEddie posted:

A single core box is 1-2 players but the game is 1-4 players. The early chatter from Arkham Nights is extremely positive (but obviously keep in mind these are from people excited to go and play that specifically).

I didn't see a lot of specific review talk, just general impressions, but a big one was that the game engine felt a lot better than LotR. The more restrictive actions meant that decisions on what to do/cards to play felt like they had a lot more impact. General gushing about the theme. Best LCG Core Box experience (doesn't feel gimped and you can get decent play out of it). That replayability won't be quite as bad as was worried because of different choices you can make (besides playing a different char).
I am pretty excited even if I don't buy all the mega positive hype...but I am also way way into LotR LCG and this feels like the next step haha.

Sounds interesting. I'm still quite sad that Warhammer Card Quest got aborted.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Durendal posted:

In other 18xx talk, 1860 continues to wreck me in new and infuriating ways. Everything I know is wrong. I do love the stunts you can pull with stocks and train juggling though.

1860 finally clicked for me when I realized I should be ruthlessly maximizing return on investment at every opportunity. Float a company, run it until your stock jumps plateau, dump it while it still has a train, but one that will rust soon, start up another company, repeat, maybe pick up and refloat a bankrupt company. Make sure a company doesn't fall into receivership until after you dump it so you don't lose stock value from it. Last time I played I was the only person who did that and I won by 1605. It's also important to make sure that one of your companies is in the top two at the end of nationalization. I had 100% of the yellow company paying me 260-300 per run in the midgame and it ended the game second highest with two trains. It was great.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

lockdar posted:

4 Gods by Ludically
After about 10 minutes however the game bogged down quickly with fewer and fewer options to place our tiles.

Bust out the smart phone or the hour glass when it starts to drag. If nobody places a tile for 30 seconds, the game ends. You don't have to be anal retentive about it but that should keep the game from petering out.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Tekopo posted:

Me and my experienced fellow 18XXers could finish it in 4, yes. Newbies will take longer. Bring a spreadsheet to do the end :)

Maybe I didn't fully comprehend the rulebook, what's so complex about the end?

Although I basically use a spreadsheet app to score 7 Wonders so maybe "complex" isn't the right word.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

PerniciousKnid posted:

Maybe I didn't fully comprehend the rulebook, what's so complex about the end?

Although I basically use a spreadsheet app to score 7 Wonders so maybe "complex" isn't the right word.

It's just easier to do the last set of operating rounds and final scoring on paper rather than hand out cash. It's not complex, just a more convenient way to do it.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Lorini posted:

A friend who Silvergoose knows has finished 1846 in less than an hour with players who know the game and his games no matter what don't go past two hours.

Hah. Somehow that doesn't surprise me.

Gzuz-Kriced
Sep 27, 2000
Master of Spoo

al-azad posted:

Yeah I was initially positive about dirty Codenames until someone pointed out that even the non-dirty words are proper nouns with fewer associations than the generic nouns in Codenames.

Other than to grab more cards (or for the "haha you said dick" factor) I don't think there's a specific reason to own Deep Undercover, but this isn't really true. Most of the non-dirty words are more or less indistinguishable from the main game and there are few, if any, proper nouns.

The "dirtiest" of the words do suffer from fewer associations, but most still have plenty (nipple, nude) or aren't necessarily dirty (clam, motorboat) and could fit into the regular game with little issue. The word examples I chose just came from me picking 4 of the first 8 or so cards I saw from flipping through. I also saw "monkey" and "needle" which are normal words that could easily be in the original.

You should only get it to bolster your main game or for drunk stupidity that's higher brow than CAH.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Gzuz-Kriced posted:

Other than to grab more cards (or for the "haha you said dick" factor) I don't think there's a specific reason to own Deep Undercover, but this isn't really true. Most of the non-dirty words are more or less indistinguishable from the main game and there are few, if any, proper nouns.

The "dirtiest" of the words do suffer from fewer associations, but most still have plenty (nipple, nude) or aren't necessarily dirty (clam, motorboat) and could fit into the regular game with little issue. The word examples I chose just came from me picking 4 of the first 8 or so cards I saw from flipping through. I also saw "monkey" and "needle" which are normal words that could easily be in the original.

You should only get it to bolster your main game or for drunk stupidity that's higher brow than CAH.

Thing is it's not clam it's clams, crab is crabs, stone is stones. It goes from being generic to specific.

I'd rather just make my own cards in that case.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I ended up pre-ordering the second printing of Terraforming Mars. According to Amazon, I should have it sometime between Halloween and Christmas :smithicide:

I feel dumb for not just pre-ordering over the summer. I didn't realize the demand was gonna be so nuts.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Sure, you could play this with your loved ones in a while.

Or you could be playing Season 1 with Internet strangers right now!. We're starting March in a day or two, and so far no one has hosed up. You can be the one to ruin life on this planet forever!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I don't know if I really like the idea of disposable board games becoming popular.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Rutibex posted:

I don't know if I really like the idea of disposable board games becoming popular.

Says the guy who literally makes board games out of garbage.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Rutibex posted:

I totally get that. The way I'm looking at it: the only games in my collection that are nearing 12 plays are Codenames and Avalon, the latter is probably permanently benched. If I get 10 plays out of a Tragedy Looper, Sherlock Holmes, or Pandemic Legacy, then that's money we'll spent. I just wish season 2 lets you play base game on it after the fact.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Shadow225 posted:

I totally get that. The way I'm looking at it: the only games in my collection that are nearing 12 plays are Codenames and Avalon, the latter is probably permanently benched. If I get 10 plays out of a Tragedy Looper, Sherlock Holmes, or Pandemic Legacy, then that's money we'll spent. I just wish season 2 lets you play base game on it after the fact.

Yeah I know it can easily be justified from a cost point, if you end up playing it lot. It just feels dirty and wasteful though, like only eating the top of a muffin.

CommonShore posted:

Says the guy who literally makes board games out of garbage.

Turning landfill into board games is the opposite of turning board games into landfill (as the legacy games are designed to do). Seems entirely consistent? :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Rutibex posted:

Yeah I know it can easily be justified from a cost point, if you end up playing it lot. It just feels dirty and wasteful though, like only eating the top of a muffin.

Turning landfill into board games is the opposite of turning board games into landfill (as the legacy games are designed to do). Seems entirely consistent? :shrug:

But then you make it into Talisman, which will go straight back into the garbage. Anyway, in that case you should be happy about Pandemic Legacy as it'll mean that there will be plenty of leftover card stock and the like for you out there.