Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

I just got frustrated by everyone saying the Republicans are the real and only racists. There is so much awful poo poo we chose to ignore, even if we support national things like BLM. Dems seem reactionary instead of proactive about racial issues.

who said they were the only racists?

But a party who's platform consists of national Stop and Frisk. who votes Donald Trump to be there representative, and does everything in their power to disenfranchise black voters does not deserve the benefit of the doubt from my black rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Let's dispell once and for all this notion that Murphy is good at debating.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

If there was a big initiative or push like for health care reform and it failed I wouldn't be mad about it. But there hasn't even been a conversation this cycle(outside of a few random people asking Bernie about reparations).

There's a big initiative and push for not falling into fascism this cycle from the left

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Salesforce and Disney both pulled out of talks to buy Twitter in the past few days because they don't want to be associated with insane internet racist trolls. Seriously, that was the reason.

Good. Any sane company that buys twitter would have to setup filtering systems or hired thousands of people to clean out the festering racism and it'd kill the platform because "free speech" and all. (ignoring that Twitter censors things for governments already)

boner confessor posted:

his daddy is a rich lawyer

same as how he got probation for attempting to bug a senator's office

When he tried to bug a sitting senator's office and got off with a slap on the wrist, one of his coconspiractors was the son of a US Attorney IIRC. O'Keefe is a posterchild of entitlement and I hope he gets drunk and stumbles out in to traffic one day.

Pastrymancy posted:

There was a televised debate and I'm guessing Murphy didn't do well

Looking forward to posts of "well the wife-beating shady businessman would've done better" from Greyson's #1 superfan.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

foobardog posted:

Even if he was lost in a hostile area, some pile of poo poo in a suit would fly in to protect his useful idiot rear end. Like how conservatives complain about Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson doing.

Agreed. That person being local that time just made it easier.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Why are the FL Dems so awful? There's a lot of people here, and not a single good candidate?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

I'm sure wikileaks will get right on that very soon.....

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

CascadeBeta posted:

An echo chamber is preferable to this kind of bullshit drive by trolling.

I can't believe people keep biting on them 😂

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Islam is the Lite Rock FM posted:

So like acorn style or actual criminal investigation?

public guillotines. That or throw them from the top of the Washington monument.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Oct 18, 2016

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Why are the FL Dems so awful? There's a lot of people here, and not a single good candidate?

Dems kind of suck at the state level. We're lucky to have fielded enough respectable Dems to have a good shot at retaking the Senate.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Sharkopath posted:

It sounds incredibly awful because of how truncated it is and how dumb the surrounding answers are but you could expand that into a somewhat truthful statement.

Yeah, C is the answer here; while it's not complete and elides the choices that were made to take the budding colonies down the road of chattel slavery, it's also the most correct option, as labor shortages were a major factor contributing to those choices. Slavery as the defining institution of the southern and Caribbean colonies wasn't exactly inevitable, though the colonial societies had few viable alternatives if they sought to extract the maximum wealth possible from the territory (they did) and were unwilling to support a large working class (they were).

Interestingly, you can watch as the pyramidal social hierarchy of the English in particular gets transplanted wholesale to the colonies and then collapses immediately, because no poo poo you can't support a huge top heavy hierarchy descended from feudalism when you're subsisting on wild boar and corn the locals are selling you while shooting you worried looks. Then, over the course of about fifty to a hundred years, they build it back up, and when their reconstructed social pyramid, now with the planter gentry on top instead of the landed nobility, requires a huge impoverished base of workers tied to the land? Well lookie here, a Portuguese ship full of these handy dark-skinned folks...

If you're interested to read more about this, I'd recommend Foul Means: The Formation of a Slave Society in Virginia, 1660-1740 by Anthony Parent. It's an argument against the previously accepted view embodied by that dumb test question, which asserts that nobody deliberately set up slavery, it was a response to labor conditions! While Parent acknowledges that as a factor, he argues that the codification of racial chattel slavery in Virginia was in fact a deliberate series of choices made over the course of about fifty years by the planter class as a means of solidifying their power. It's a good, if very depressing, read.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
https://twitter.com/rawstory/status/788408085681410049

:qq::qq:

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Penisaurus Sex posted:

If they truly wanted to do it, they could've done some horse trading and got it done. Obama jumped back on most of his pro-labor positions after he was elected and the Democrats fell behind him pretty well.

Uhh, Obama did horse trade and that's why he's a modern day Judas to progressives.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Bip Roberts posted:

Uhh, Obama did horse trade and that's why he's a modern day Judas to progressives.

In what sense?

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

I just got frustrated by everyone saying the Republicans are the real and only racists. There is so much awful poo poo we chose to ignore, even if we support national things like BLM. Dems seem reactionary instead of proactive about racial issues.

I think that is true (and so does, I'm betting, a majority of the board) but you have to admit that the Democrats have not had much of a change to enact any sort of legislative agenda, and even when they did have control of congress the wind was blowing against them and against progressive policies.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

lozzle posted:

The GOP has no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

Some of them can make a pretty mean hot dish if you're ever I the Midwest.

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

If you've lived in Colorado for awhile you'd know. The best way I can describe it is the following: It's becoming the next California.

From a way back but when I do voter registration in Colorado I'm making the numbers for several people all by myself. My town is a place immigrants buy homes so we have a metric ton of California transplants who haven't switched their registration to Colorado yet. Folks in other places get maybe two registrations in three hours. I can get 6 an hour.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Joe needs to be fired into the sun.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

WeAreTheRomans posted:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/788403448593002496

2 things:

- she's just "Crooked" now, no first name, lol.

- HASHTAG DRAIN THE SWAMP

"When you're up to your rear end in Alligators - the only course is to Drain The Swamp"

My incredibly awful racist as gently caress stepdad had that on a plaque in our living room in the early 90's. God help me, I'm triggered.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

lozzle posted:

The GOP has no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

Remember when Romney thought it was a winning strategy to say he'd get rid of Sesame Street and Big Bird?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Spun Dog posted:

Some of them can make a pretty mean hot dish if you're ever I the Midwest.

I'm from the Midwest. A pretty mean hot dish is an oxymoron, it's a bland as poo poo way to use up your leftovers and that's it. God I hate rural Midwest cooking.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Get Barron on that he's good with cyber

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Penisaurus Sex posted:

In what sense?

In the sense that he made a deal with the reactionary democrats and now we have watered down health care and lovely finance reform. I mean clearly he could have made a cake with poo poo and you'd still want to eat it and have it too.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

FL's media markets are really loving expensive to buy ads in. It's not an effective use of DSCC money when Rubio is clearly going to win.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Bip Roberts posted:

In the sense that he made a deal with the reactionary democrats and now we have watered down health care and lovely finance reform. I mean clearly he could have made a cake with poo poo and you'd still want to eat it and have it too.

I was talking purely about economic policy in the wake of his inauguration. I don't have a problem with Dodd-Frank; I have a much bigger problem with the content of the stimulus passed and how long it took to get passed.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

This is my pet peeve this cycle. You can be a big loving dickbag piece of poo poo and say horrible things and support absolutely abhorrent policies but that's OK because you're "mad" and "in pain."

gently caress off.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Ash1138 posted:

Get Barron on that he's good with cyber

he's wrapped up in that Assange cybering investigation

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

XyrlocShammypants posted:

This is my pet peeve this cycle. You can be a big loving dickbag piece of poo poo and say horrible things and support absolutely abhorrent policies but that's OK because you're "mad" and "in pain."

gently caress off.

Well, only if you're white.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

So I had some random customer in my office today without prompting tell me that if Trump loses there's going to be a 'Christian revolution' in this country. Fun start to my morning.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Bip Roberts posted:

Watered Down Healthcare Reform was the only type we were going to get. Just didn't have the votes to do anything else.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

WeAreTheRomans posted:

he's wrapped up in that Assange cybering investigation
Barron trying to hack through the firewalls to save Assange's internets

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Lemming posted:

Well, only if you're white.

Colin Kaepernick hates ARE TROOPS. :downs:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

WeAreTheRomans posted:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/788403448593002496

2 things:

- she's just "Crooked" now, no first name, lol.

- HASHTAG DRAIN THE SWAMP

Do I wanna know what the 'detailed ethics reform plan' is, because previously it was 'keep Crooked Hillary out of the white house'.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

lozzle posted:

Colin Kaepernick hates ARE TROOPS. COP HEROES WHO ARE NOW EQUAL TO ARE TROOPS :downs:

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Penisaurus Sex posted:

I have a much bigger problem with the content of the stimulus passed and how long it took to get passed.

it took like two weeks to get passed :psyduck:

really it looks like you're only interested in complaining vaguely, im not even sure what your problem is except that you have a problem and you're sticking to it

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Please, let the Trump campaign's emails get hacked and released. I don't know if they would hold any revelations, but they would at least have a treasure trove of racist jokes.

I want to see the RNC's emails from during Trump's primary run, too.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Fangz posted:

Do I wanna know what the 'detailed ethics reform plan' is, because previously it was 'keep Crooked Hillary out of the white house'.

It's in the article:

quote:

reinstating the five-year ban on all executive branch officials who lobby the government after they leave service; instituting a five-year lobbying ban for former members of Congress and their staff; expanding the definition of a lobbyist to close loopholes; issuing a lifetime ban for senior executive branch officials against lobbying for foreign governments; and asking Congress to pass campaign finance reform that prevents foreign lobbyists from influencing American elections through fundraising.

That last one :ironicat:

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
https://twitter.com/keithlaw/status/788417227288707073

:allears:

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

boner confessor posted:

it took like two weeks to get passed :psyduck:

really it looks like you're only interested in complaining vaguely, im not even sure what your problem is except that you have a problem and you're sticking to it

I was wrong, thought it was much later than it was.

The content of the stimulus did what it was meant to, in that it stopped the hemorrhaging of jobs. But it was a chance to have a 'New Deal'-esque package of legislation, which wasn't what anyone was interested in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Fangz posted:

That reminds me of how Trump did an AMA on Reddit and his answer to "how would you keep money out of politics" was nothing but "Keep Crooked Hillary out of the White House."

• Locked thread