Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Kid Fenris posted:

Everyone knows the best Final Fantasy is The Spirits Within because Roger Ebert liked it better than most video games.

Question: what's the silliest piece of video-game merchandise you've bought? Don't count stuff you got as free promotional trinkets; this would be something you specifically sought out and purchased.

I ask because I bought this and want to feel better about it.

Amiibo's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Saoshyant posted:

I require a picture.

URL grey tea posted:

He better be monster buddies with the caco plush :dings:

I want that one, but they didn't have it at PAX last year. :smith:

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I'm in japan it's really weird

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Kid Fenris posted:

Question: what's the silliest piece of video-game merchandise you've bought? Don't count stuff you got as free promotional trinkets; this would be something you specifically sought out and purchased.

I ask because I bought this and want to feel better about it.

I own a 3DO.

Hmm, that's tough, most of my silly garbage is promo things, and most of my silly purchases are actual games, like multiple copies/ports of games I already own (hello, Super Street Fighter II Turbo) or the two PSP games I bought for the bonuses and still don't actually own a PSP (R-Type Command and Persona.)

I do own two Dan Hibiki figures.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I love that you get three onion rings, one cherry tomato and one salad leaf, precisely as advertised.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

they are a very meticulous people

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I'm more worried about that chili.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Elliotw2 posted:

I'm more worried about that chili.

I was just about to say, what the gently caress, is that chili just ketchup with some...stuff in it?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yeah I don't have much faith in that chili dog.

Also I can't believe they relegated Knuckles to beverage tier.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

the hot dog tasted like a slim jim or something and they have a strange idea of what chili is supposed to be. the 3 onion rings were pretty great though. the drink had jelly in it and it was like drinking a chao

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!
Go to the Kirby Cafe and have Meta Knight's Secret Late Night Parfait

I love thinking about that puffball who tries to be aloof having a parfait every night in secret :3:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
ScummVM has updated, boasting support for Myst, the first couple entries of the very early Sierra Hi-Res Adventure series, and whatever the hell this is, along with a general switch over to SDL2.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Kins posted:

ScummVM has updated, boasting support for Myst, the first couple entries of the very early Sierra Hi-Res Adventure series, and whatever the hell this is, along with a general switch over to SDL2.

UFO is an adventure game about an alien trying to fix his spaceship with parts stolen from rednecks, and his adoring Platypus buddy.

I'm not making that last part up. :allears:.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

d0s posted:

the hot dog tasted like a slim jim or something and they have a strange idea of what chili is supposed to be. the 3 onion rings were pretty great though. the drink had jelly in it and it was like drinking a chao

My second night in Tokyo, the airplane food had made me sick so I hadn't eaten in about twenty-four hours. I was wandering around Shibuya and decided to stop a restaurant I saw a sign for. Once I went in and sat down, however, it turned out that I went into the wrong door since I had stumbled into a Japanese run Italian restaurant. The experience was very different from Italian food anywhere else in the world.

Every place puts their local taste on a style of cuisine. It's just the nature of what ingredients are available and what connects with the locals. But it's always disorientating when you encounter it.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

UFO is an adventure game about an alien trying to fix his spaceship with parts stolen from rednecks, and his adoring Platypus buddy.

I'm not making that last part up. :allears:.

I know an adventure game is obscure when I can't recall its existence off the top of my head. And it was released by Corel during that brief period when everyone thought they could be a computer game publisher, too...

al-azad
May 28, 2009

How do you go to a Sonic cafe and not order the Eggman omurice? That poo poo looks delicious.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Probably missed this earlier in the thread, but there's a microSD Neo Geo flash cart?

https://www.neosdstore.com/shop/index.php

Wowzers at the 380 euro price tag.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

d0s posted:

I'm in japan it's really weird

That.. should be a chili dog... but it looks like raspberry jam? :wtf:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

That.. should be a chili dog... but it looks like raspberry jam? :wtf:

This is the country that calls brown paste "curry."

Looking at the chili dogs in the cartoon there was always a loving olive on it. Who puts whole olives on their chili dogs?? No wonder Sonic sucks.

And then you had TMNT where the pizzas looked like margherita style where it's 90% sauce and some splotches of cheese but even when they introduce "toejam pizza" it's just got green peppers and pepperoni on it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

al-azad posted:

This is the country that calls brown paste "curry."

Looking at the chili dogs in the cartoon there was always a loving olive on it. Who puts whole olives on their chili dogs?? No wonder Sonic sucks.

And then you had TMNT where the pizzas looked like margherita style where it's 90% sauce and some splotches of cheese but even when they introduce "toejam pizza" it's just got green peppers and pepperoni on it.

Yeah I've had pizza in Japan, and it was... different. Not bad though.

Nothing beats the pizza from the american cartoon TMNT though, with its physics defying inifinitely stretchy cheese. Growing up watching that show set me up for a lifetime of disappointment as no pizza on Earth has been able to hold up.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
That "chili dog" looks disgusting but you better watch what you be saying about Japanese curry, I'd eat it every day of my life if it weren't so calorie-dense.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Zaphod42 posted:

Nothing beats the pizza from the american cartoon TMNT though, with its physics defying inifinitely stretchy cheese.

Also at some point they ran with a gag where the toppings were some seriously wacky poo poo. The only one I can remember was linguine and clam sauce.

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."

univbee posted:

Probably missed this earlier in the thread, but there's a microSD Neo Geo flash cart?

https://www.neosdstore.com/shop/index.php

Wowzers at the 380 euro price tag.

I really wish I had money. The Neo Geo, both AES and MVS iterations, is something I don't expect to ever get into. It's nice that it says it has 100% compatibility for all commercially released games.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Found a copy of a classic floppy disk I had as a kid:

I guess it's a puzzle game? Adventure-ish? A series of rooms you have to escape by setting up Rube Goldberg machines, basically. It's not a great game, but I beat it for the first time ever last night (the whole game has a strict 15 min. time limit and my old DOS machine always ran the clock at the wrong speed).

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I have the proper N64, but how hard is it to do the RGB mod for the N64? I know there is a goon who does that services on SA Mart, but between shipping the unit out and the price for service, it almost 50 more then just buying the RGB mod and trying to do it myself.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Rirse posted:

I have the proper N64, but how hard is it to do the RGB mod for the N64? I know there is a goon who does that services on SA Mart, but between shipping the unit out and the price for service, it almost 50 more then just buying the RGB mod and trying to do it myself.

You can build your own circuit, buy a premade circuit from here or here.

The DIY one is more difficult on the account you have to gather the parts and assemble it yourself. The first prebuilt circuit link has most of the stuff done for you, you just wire it up. The 2nd is a bit more involved, but works on all N64's.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Oct 18, 2016

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

8-bit Miniboss posted:

You can build your own circuit, buy a premade circuit from here or here.

The DIY one is more difficult on the account you have to gather the parts and assemble it yourself. The first prebuilt circuit link has most of the stuff done for you, you just wire it up. The 2nd is a bit more involved, but works on all N64's.

Yeah I was looking at the first link if I did it myself.

By the way, since the PS1 PSIO comes back in stock next week, what the best component cable option for it? I will wait to order one until I know that I am able to get the PSIO, but I know the PS1 just need cables.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Rirse posted:

By the way, since the PS1 PSIO comes back in stock next week, what the best component cable option for it? I will wait to order one until I know that I am able to get the PSIO, but I know the PS1 just need cables.

I don't believe the first Playstation has component video output. It outputs RGB, though, so you could possibly convert it to component by getting a SCART cable and a SCART RGB-to-component converter box. You'd probably be looking at $80+ to do all that, though.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Correct, PS1 does not output component. You're looking at SCART for that.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Rirse posted:

...until I know that I am able to get the PSIO...
You sure that's the wisest choice, given what's been happening?

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Rirse posted:

Did you read the drama in the last page or so about the PSIO? Doesn't look like it's getting any updates anytime soon, and may be dead.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Did you read the drama in the last page or so about the PSIO? Doesn't look like it's getting any updates anytime soon, and may be dead.

I didn't see anything last page? That a shame if it dead then, as my old PS1 probably can't read discs at this point.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Kthulhu5000 posted:

I don't believe the first Playstation has component video output. It outputs RGB, though, so you could possibly convert it to component by getting a SCART cable and a SCART RGB-to-component converter box. You'd probably be looking at $80+ to do all that, though.

Or you can get a PS2 and put the PS1 discs in it and have native component :)

It makes me sad because I love the original flip-top PS1, but its just so much easier to use a PS2.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Rirse posted:

I didn't see anything last page? That a shame if it dead then, as my old PS1 probably can't read discs at this point.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3785100&userid=27780#post465322021

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3785100&userid=27780#post465341158

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Zaphod42 posted:

Or you can get a PS2 and put the PS1 discs in it and have native component :)

It makes me sad because I love the original flip-top PS1, but its just so much easier to use a PS2.
It's a shame no one has been able to figure out a PS2 hard or soft mod to allow booting of PS1 games from some sort of solid state storage. There's the pops thing but that's emulation and not great. A PS1 with PSIO would have been the ideal future-proof solution, with no moving parts, but alas...

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Huh, for once a drama situation I actually dodged.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Well I am glad that I haven't ordered one yet. Thank you for the warning, gah!

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I'm looking to replace the batteries in a bunch of SNES games. Is there a good place to get the batteries with the tabs besides ebay?

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

i finally saw a bvm in person this weekend at an art museum. i immediately thought of this thread.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Rirse posted:

Does your N64 have a serial # that starts with "NS1"? If it doesn't, it gets way more tricky and expensive since you need to get specialized board since the later models of the n64 don't natively produce rgb signals in the video chip.

Otherwise it's just as easy as making the same DIY rgb amp set for a SNES Mini with the only issue being trying to get it all to fit between the bottom RF shielding and the mobo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Nate RFB posted:

That "chili dog" looks disgusting but you better watch what you be saying about Japanese curry, I'd eat it every day of my life if it weren't so calorie-dense.

yeah the weird hot dog is the only thing I've eaten here that wasn't both delicious and cheap, though I have been sticking to stereotypical japanese stuff. the "curry" really does kick rear end

• Locked thread