Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Nothing But Hate posted:

When did The Thing start looking awesome?
November 1961

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Secret Wars #8:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
that last panel, :saddowns: as depicted in comic form.
I do love me some Groot, though.

New Wave Jose
Aug 20, 2008
What exactly are Francklin's powers?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Reality warping on an extreme level, as I recall.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Incase it isn't clear, that's a world tree.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

New Wave Jose posted:

What exactly are Francklin's powers?

Somewhere between Cosmic-Power-worrying levels of reality manipulation and nothing, mostly depending on how many "please don't gently caress the universe" mental blocks they've got in him at the time.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
He's currently reconstructing the multiverse so I'd say he's doing alright for himself

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

A mini series of Franklin, Owen, and Reed building the multiverse while the FF explores and catalogues it would be fun as hell.

Owen popped up in Ultimates but I don't think the rest have been anywhere else.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Johnny Aztec posted:

I tend to stay away from any comic I need to {Scene from " A Beautiful Mind" with all the interconnected news articles} to make any sense of it.

Frankly, I love this poo poo. "COMICS, EVERYBODY!" and all. It's literally the only reason I care about the Flash, the Legion, or Cable at all.

...eardevil the klawyer... Man do I love Secret Wars.

Test Pattern fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Oct 18, 2016

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Secret Wars #8:

I know it isn't but that lady looks a lot like Lade Death.

So quick question, do I need to read a million other comics or could I just pick up the Secret Wars trade and get into it?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Madkal posted:

So quick question, do I need to read a million other comics or could I just pick up the Secret Wars trade and get into it?

You need to read all of Hickman's Avengers/New Avengers, too. I mean you could just hop in, but this ain't no 'newbie friendly' event.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Black Swan. She was one of Hickman's originals. Her look is indeed 'what if Lady Death had the body/outfit of Emma Frost"

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

You could definitely read Secret Wars by it's self. I think there's enough in there. Not that the previous Avengers series' should be avoided, but hopping in right at the apocalyptic conclusion of a universe is probably even more impactful than getting there after the set-up.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I was familiarish with the setup, but had only read a handful of Avengers/New Avengers when I started in on Secret Wars and never felt all that lost.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I think the key is how familiar you are with the 616/Ultimate universe going into Secret Wars. Otherwise it all seems like a bunch of weird monster poo poo for the sake of weird monster poo poo (still enjoyable, but y'know)

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Madkal posted:

I read Secret Wars coming straight from Ultimate Spider-Man just because I was following Miles into his new series, and I haven't read Marvel regularly in years. I'm sure it would have made more sense if I had, but if you know most of the characters, if you've got a passing familiarity with the relationships between say the Fantastic Four and Dr. Doom, it makes enough sense to be entertaining.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

A mini series of Franklin, Owen, and Reed building the multiverse while the FF explores and catalogues it would be fun as hell.

Owen popped up in Ultimates but I don't think the rest have been anywhere else.

That scene from Ultimates fits here too. It's Galactus punching Order and Chaos in the face before making GBS threads himself when he realises Molecule Man wants to shoot the breeze on his cosmic couch.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
It bugs me that apparently a toothpick being driven into wood makes the same sound reserved for say, a door shutting down quickly and violently or somebody being hit by something thrown by the Hulk.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Calaveron posted:

It bugs me that apparently a toothpick being driven into wood makes the same sound reserved for say, a door shutting down quickly and violently or somebody being hit by something thrown by the Hulk.

Have you ever stabbed a tiny tree-man into Yggdrasil, the world tree? How do you know what sound it makes?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Gaz-L posted:

Have you ever stabbed a tiny tree-man into Yggdrasil, the world tree? How do you know what sound it makes?

I would hope it would sound more impressive than somebody dropping a toilet seat quickly or putting down a briefcase hard on a table

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Gaz-L posted:

That scene from Ultimates fits here too. It's Galactus punching Order and Chaos in the face before making GBS threads himself when he realises Molecule Man wants to shoot the breeze on his cosmic couch.

Ultimates #6

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Oct 19, 2016

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Nevvy Z posted:

Incase it isn't clear, that's a world Groot.

FTFY

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Superman #9

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
Superman is my favorite superhero comic coming out right now. It's so, so good.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Wait...is that one of the Losers? I thought they all died in New Frontier.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Yvonmukluk posted:

Read Superman #8 and 9 right now.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Read Superman #8 and 9 right now.

Also 1-7

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yvonmukluk posted:

There's a really gauche memorial/tribute thing to them in the latest issues.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

By gauche you mean "kick butt", right?

e: I'd post basically the whole comic across the Touching, Funny and Badass threads, but people should just read it.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Oct 19, 2016

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Madkal posted:

While the whole Avengers/New Avengers run leading into it is great, Secret Wars has especially little to do with the actual Avengers themselves. So here's what you need to know:

- Black Swan shows up and becomes a prisoner of the Illuminati. She talks up this religious higher power and also how the multiverse is collapsing. There are these things called "incursions" where two alternate universes are on course to collide. Earth is the constant lynchpin. If one Earth is destroyed, both universes survive. If not, then both universes are wiped out. Even so, you're only buying time until the next incursion and the multiverse is still falling to pieces regardless.

- Because this is such an impossible problem to solve, things get increasingly morally questionable for the good guys. Namor goes the furthest off the deep end. He starts a group called the Cabal with Thanos, Black Swan, Maximus and others where they commit genocide on other Earths just to save Earth 616. Ultimate Reed Richards later joins. Meanwhile, Namor and Black Panther murderously HATE each other.

- Dr. Strange's quest to figure poo poo out leads him to stumbling across Dr. Doom (who it turns out is that religious higher power Black Swan kept alluding to) and Molecule Man. The ones behind all this were the Beyonders, an entire race as powerful as that guy from the original Secret Wars. Doom and Molecule Man partially thwarted their plans via decades of time-travel and reality-hopping. The three of them have their big final battle against the Beyonders and by the end of it, we don't really know who won.

By the beginning of Secret Wars #1, the only worlds left are Marvel 616 and Ultimate Marvel.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Gavok posted:

By the beginning of Secret Wars #1, the only worlds left are Marvel 616 and Ultimate Marvel.

By the end all that's left is the Prime Earth but everybody still calls it 616 because we've been doing it for years.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
What about non-parallel alternate universes, like the Mojoverse or the Negative Zone? Did they get snuffed out too?

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

So what is it making Galactus so orange and powerful in Secret Wars? Did he pick Sunny D over the purple stuff?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Brownhat posted:

So what is it making Galactus so orange and powerful in Secret Wars? Did he pick Sunny D over the purple stuff?

Paleo diet. He only eats planets that haven't developed irrigation and modern agrarian techniques yet.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

purple death ray posted:

Paleo diet. He only eats planets that haven't developed irrigation and modern agrarian techniques yet.

Now all I want is a photoshop of a paleo diet book featuring Galactus.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Choco1980 posted:

What about non-parallel alternate universes, like the Mojoverse or the Negative Zone? Did they get snuffed out too?

Possibly but not likely? A few characters did survive the end of it all by removing themselves from reality (Loki and Silver Surfer) so depending on what those realities were anchored to they may have survived. The negative zone / annihilation wave was one of the region in Battleworld.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Brownhat posted:

It's post SW stuff, from the recent Ultimates series. Basically it turns out he only needed to eat planets because he didn't spend enough time in the oven after the last universe ended. They fixed him right up and now he's restoring all the planets he slurped down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Possibly but not likely? A few characters did survive the end of it all by removing themselves from reality (Loki and Silver Surfer) so depending on what those realities were anchored to they may have survived. The negative zone / annihilation wave was one of the region in Battleworld.

The Richards dreaming up worlds and universes is all the explanation they need for stuff existing.