Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Catching Up with Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ein cooler Typ posted:

also can you spergs not understand why you would want to meet someone's parents before marrying them and have them like you even if you don't "need" their permission
The issue isn't that he wanted to meet his fiance's father, it's that he's seeking the father's permission to marry her despite the fact that they've been engaged for like less than a week longer than they've know each other because they want to have actual sex rather than just Brooksian music-loving but to have intercourse out of wedlock is apparently unthinkable or some poo poo.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

I kinda like that you can see the shadows of the monsters in the first panel. Can't believe I liked something in modern Nancy, no matter how small.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm included today solely to say get hosed, Mom Goose t:mad:t

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

catlord posted:

I kinda like that you can see the shadows of the monsters in the first panel. Can't believe I liked something in modern Nancy, no matter how small.

That's the friendliest Dracula I've ever seen.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
Asaekkiga gives us an alternate look into Chief Dharma's world

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

treasureplane posted:

Nancy (November 9, 1943)

"Look at me, I'm big gay Clem"

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

ComradeCosmobot posted:

This is the sort of Peanuts I grew up with and it's why I've never liked the strip and don't understand why it still lingers on in newspaper pages everywhere. The earliest years seem alright, even funny at times, but I think I agree with the oft-expressed sentiment that the best days were before Snoopy took over the strip, which this particular series of strips exemplifies clearly.
Yeah same here. It's just now that I've seen some of the early Peanuts (which is often really good I think) it's striking how bad Peanuts of just a decade or so later usually is.

I guess it must have been the Snoopy thing. He caught on as a character and it completely changed the focus of the strip. The Urkel Effect, if you will.

Julet Esqu posted:

Phantom Classic

I like the other pilot's reaction to his partner being blown away. "Hey! That's NOT cool!"

Tiggum posted:

Hi and Lois

So, never?
:lol:

F Minus

Mary Worth

Rex Morgan MD

Secret Agent X-9

Maybe the guy you saw searching the other person's room through the one-way mirror knows who it is!

Apartment 3-G

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise

Eddie Grant was from The Galley Slaves.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Zanzibar Ham posted:

That's the friendliest Dracula I've ever seen.

Jim Henson's Nosferatu Babies.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

ComradeCosmobot posted:

This is the sort of Peanuts I grew up with and it's why I've never liked the strip and don't understand why it still lingers on in newspaper pages everywhere. The earliest years seem alright, even funny at times, but I think I agree with the oft-expressed sentiment that the best days were before Snoopy took over the strip, which this particular series of strips exemplifies clearly.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Julet Esqu posted:

Phantom Classic

"Air pirates." :allears:

:nws:Air Pirates, you say?:nws:

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Today's Heathcliff is ripped from the headlines.

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

I may just be real dumb, but if dad is being honest, why is she mad, and if he's lying, why is she agreeing?

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
You're not dumb, this poo poo makes no sense at all unless Xiulan thought that Englishman Slim wanted to "diminished" or "insignificant" in front of her father...which itself makes no sense.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
I didn't follow Judge Parker that close before Marciuliano took over. Containment units? Were they really keeping their over-aged, under-paid workers locked up in the sweatshop?

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.

csammis posted:

You're not dumb, this poo poo makes no sense at all unless Xiulan thought that Englishman Slim wanted to "diminished" or "insignificant" in front of her father...which itself makes no sense.

Not to defend the dumb story, btu she was probably being sarcastic when she asked her father that particular question cause, you see, she learned being sarcastic in the West , Asians have no such concept

Mr. Noseybonk
Jul 17, 2012

Nenonen posted:

I didn't follow Judge Parker that close before Marciuliano took over. Containment units? Were they really keeping their over-aged, under-paid workers locked up in the sweatshop?

Yes. that was exactly what they planned to do. they thought there would be no issue doing so.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Containers were somehow cheaper than throwing up some lovely walls that wouldn't have overloaded the lovely floor.

No wonder that engineer fled the country.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Mr. Noseybonk posted:

Yes. that was exactly what they planned to do. they thought there would be no issue doing so.

Except it was portrayed as a good thing then. I mean this whole thing happening now... wasn't planned by the earlier writers was it? It happened because Marciuliano took over? That's the impression I'm getting anyway.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

His Divine Shadow posted:

Except it was portrayed as a good thing then. I mean this whole thing happening now... wasn't planned by the earlier writers was it? It happened because Marciuliano took over? That's the impression I'm getting anyway.

Yeah, this is basically Ces taking a chainsaw to the dangling plot threads Woody Wilson left behind. Wilson apparently thought it was brilliant for the Spencer-Drivers to hire senior citizens to work in shipping containers.

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

His Divine Shadow posted:

Marciulianois a vengeful god, and he will tear down the false paradise of Judge Parker brick by brick.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Good to see some opera put back into the soap.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.

Selachian posted:

Yeah, this is basically Ces taking a chainsaw to the dangling plot threads Woody Wilson left behind. Wilson apparently thought it was brilliant for the Spencer-Drivers to hire senior citizens to work in shipping containers.

I am legitimately curious to know how Woody Wilson would have wrapped up these plot line, if for no other reason than to see exactly the opposite of what is happening now. Any idea why they took Wilson off the strip mid-story?

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Aardmania posted:

Piranha Club

They look like every other hideous character in this hideous comic. :effort:

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

They're people too*, Oona, you bigot.

*Except maybe for the crocodile.

Nenonen posted:

:eng101: Discount shipping containers!

Naturally, as readers, we are supposed to interpret this behavior as Neddy having good business sense and negotiating skills.

Luann

Ugh. Cancel the engagement right now.

The Amazing Spider-Man

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

I didn't realize it earlier, but Ces is only the third person to write Judge Parker in its 54 years of existence. I should get into the comic strip writing biz, because apparently it's the most secure job in the world.

Julet Esqu posted:

Naturally, as readers, we are supposed to interpret this behavior as Neddy having good business sense and negotiating skills.

Don't forget, the reason Neddy hired senior citizens to work in her sweatshop is because "they've already got health care and pensions," so she wouldn't have to pay for benefits. Savvy.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Oct 18, 2016

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Transmodiar posted:

I am legitimately curious to know how Woody Wilson would have wrapped up these plot line, if for no other reason than to see exactly the opposite of what is happening now. Any idea why they took Wilson off the strip mid-story?

Note that the JP strips I just posted were from June of 2015. If he waited for a storyline in Judge Parker to wrap before retiring, he'd be there until the sun finally expanded to envelop our Earth.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Bloom County

Peanuts (October 21, 1969)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (May 7, 1930)

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
So Bull is gonna go on a shooting spree soon, right?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I do kind of have to wonder if the syndicate actually decided "let's bring in Sally Forth guy to destroy everything that makes this strip what it is and do a wee on the ashes" or if it just turned out that way to our eternal good.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

WickedHate posted:

So Bull is gonna go on a shooting spree soon, right?

I'm thinking less a full-on shooting spree and more pulling a Benoit, and in either case I wish TomBat would hurry the gently caress up with it. Does he think his telegraphing constitutes a slow burn or something?

Maslovo
Oct 12, 2016

Mr. Squishy posted:

What's with the neck-brace?

:eng101: Much like traditional portraits daguerreotypes required the subject to hold still for long periods so there were often adjustable height tables and headrests.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

SomeMathGuy posted:

I'm thinking less a full-on shooting spree and more pulling a Benoit, and in either case I wish TomBat would hurry the gently caress up with it. Does he think his telegraphing constitutes a slow burn or something?

I was actually going to reference Benoit with that exact wording but was afraid of it being seen in poor taste.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

I like this one. It's from a storyline where Charlie Brown is cracking up over his obsession with the baseball team's continual failure. People claim Snoopy took over the strip at one point, but actually reading it from start to finish (thanks, Fantagraphics!), it really isn't so. His strips are the simplest ones, usually quick, repeating gags, but I still enjoy their daffiness. And the other characters maintain Schulz's theme of semi-adult neuroses in child-size characters. Peppermint Patty deals with single-parent households and feminine body issues (a topic that would be noteworthy today, let alone in the 1970s). Sally is about school anxiety and not really knowing what's going on when you're young. Rerun's about that last part, too, often in a very good way. Linus, Lucy, Charlie Brown, and Schroeder are pretty much the same as they were in the "classic" period, and with the addition of Marcy as Peppermint Patty's foil, we get the crush triangle between her, Peppermint Patty, and Charlie Brown. Schulz also cuts a lot of dross around this time; Violet, Original Patty, Shermy, and even Frieda had outlived their usefulness (this Head Beagle story is pretty much the last major thing she'd be a part of), to say nothing of 3, 4, and 5. ("Who?" Exactly.) Franklin rounds out the cross-town cast, and around now we also get one of my favorite Schulz creations: Spike. There's something about Spike that's just so bizarrely existentialist that I can't help but love him. I would read a strip just about Spike.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

I awwww'd.

Dream of the Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

And He Did. (July, 1915)

Outbursts of Everett True (August, 1915)

Guess If They Are Married! (click for big)

That last panel is pretty great.

Banana Oil! (click for big)

That's it for Banana Oil!

The Gay Thirties (January, 1935, click for big))

They'll Do It Every Time (January, 1940, click for big)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emanuel_Ninger

Mopsy (June, 1940)

Jaf (1967)

Feiffer (1969, click for big)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julie_Nixon_Eisenhower

Andy Capp (September, 1970, click for big)

Tweedy (September, 1970, click for big)

Wee Pals (November, 1970, click for big)

Richard's Poor Almanac (click for big)

Dick Tracy (August, 2009, click for big)

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

There's nothing at the smallbleakscenes.com website! :qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

Endless Mike posted:

I may just be real dumb, but if dad is being honest, why is she mad, and if he's lying, why is she agreeing?

My guess is that she had Daddy wrapped around her finger the whole time and set this up as some kind of test.

Aardmania posted:

Pibgorn

Join us for more breathtaking action with "Norm Thumber & The Case Of The Rotten rear end".

How would he even know rotten rear end? He's never seen an rear end in his life (besides the one in the mirror)!

• Locked thread