Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Oh, I should upload the playbooks with that, huh.

There is a link to the playbooks in a few places inside the book: In the table of contents, at the beginning of the playbook section, and I feel like at least one more but I can't remember where.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Androc posted:

As far as shapeshifting goes, I have what I thought was an interesting core move for a chimeric sort of shifter from a class for that setting book I might finish one of these decades. If you want to cobble something together with it, go nuts:

This is similar to what I had in mind. I've already started drafting something and I'll post it when finished. I might utilize some of your effects, thanks!

captain innocuous posted:

That seems like an easy way to streamline the druid. You take on that many aspects of a form, and can spend them as you choose. Perhaps an expanded list would help.

When I am on the spot trying to come up with animal form moves I often choke and can't come up with anything both cool and useful.

Yeah, it's helpful to have something pre-made for a class' main feature. It makes the divide between really creative players and ones who are less-so smaller and makes it easier to judge the relative power of abilities/moves that you do make on the fly.

Deltasquid posted:

I never actually "finished" that class, or rather, never playtested it and made adjustments. Which parts of it could be toned down in your opinion?

Well, having both a Maestro and a Wizard in the same group will likely have some toe-stepping going on. The fact that it's essentially a Wizard-replacement isn't strictly a problem, but it's good to keep in mind.

I think my issue with it is mostly that Art Imitates Life is just a little too broad. What are the limits of "a straightforward task"? How does one decide the fictional capabilities of an animated artwork? If I make a 2-inch sketch of a hill giant, does it come to life at two-inches? What if I drew a human (like myself) next to it for scale at 1/8 inch? Can the hill giant be hill giant-sized, then? Should it be? Should it's attributes match a hill giant? Or should it be weaker? How much weaker? I think it's too open for abuse; both accidental and intentional.

I also, to a lesser extent, think that the quality of the art should play into the effect: your sketches, despite being yours, shouldn't be able to do as much as a fully colored and textured fresco or a complete and polished concerto. I don't know how to address this, exactly, though.

It didn't end up causing any problems in the game I ran with it because the person playing it was a bit meek and not testing it's boundaries, but I could envision having a hard time with it in another player's hands as-written.

Don't take this as harsh criticism, though, I really do like it.

Sionak posted:

Just want to second this. I ran a really long DW campaign with the Inverse Playbooks and they were great.

I've also never seen DW players get as excited for their moves as some of the ones from the Lantern, the Golem, and the Survivor. In particular, the advanced moves are great about letting players do something new and different instead of a numerical bonus.

There's a reason I consider gnome to be the best DW designer in the world. I suspect I'm not the only one.
While I like Fellowship, I'm sad it means we won't get a gnome-headed DW2. They're just different enough to not scratch the same itch to me.

Blasphemeral fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Oct 11, 2016

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Blasphemeral posted:

Well, having both a Maestro and a Wizard in the same group will likely have some toe-stepping going on. The fact that it's essentially a Wizard-replacement isn't strictly a problem, but it's good to keep in mind.

I think my issue with it is mostly that Art Imitates Life is just a little too broad. What are the limits of "a straightforward task"? How does one decide the fictional capabilities of an animated artwork? If I make a 2-inch sketch of a hill giant, does it come to life at two-inches? What if I drew a human (like myself) next to it for scale at 1/8 inch? Can the hill giant be hill giant-sized, then? Should it be? Should it's attributes match a hill giant? Or should it be weaker? How much weaker? I think it's too open for abuse; both accidental and intentional.

I also, to a lesser extent, think that the quality of the art should play into the effect: your sketches, despite being yours, shouldn't be able to do as much as a fully colored and textured fresco or a complete and polished concerto. I don't know how to address this, exactly, though.

It didn't end up causing any problems in the game I ran with it because the person playing it was a bit meek and not testing it's boundaries, but I could envision having a hard time with it in another player's hands as-written.

Don't take this as harsh criticism, though, I really do like it.

That's all right, thanks for the feedback. I agree that having a wizard and a maestro in one party will involve toe-stepping to some degree.

You're right about Art Imitates Life being very broad. My original idea was that a maestro would be as pwoerful as the player is creative, so I don't know to which degree this is "abuse", but it is good to keep in mind that they should have some limits. I decided to leave these questions open intentionally so the GM and players could figure this out in-universe and tweak as necessary.

Perhaps I should limit it to a "1 on 1 size" rendition of images. So your tiny ladder sketch will literally give you a tiny ladder, and a larger painting you found in the dungeon will have larger figures. This wouldn't solve much when you're summoning stuff from books or music but it should be a good starting point.

Perhaps "life sized, but made of the material of its carrier"? So your hill giant example would be an actual hill giant-sized monster, but made of paper/canvas, and thus highly flammable/thin? And a clever maestro would try to experiment with painting on stone or wood to get around that to some degree?

Maybe a point-buy system depending on the quality. You get 1 hold if it's colored, 1 hold if it's made of multiple materials, 1 hold if it's a finished piece with a background, etc? Which you then use to give it tags like "strong" or "explosive" or "fast", like a ranger's animal companion?

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Deltasquid posted:

Perhaps I should limit it to a "1 on 1 size" rendition of images. So your tiny ladder sketch will literally give you a tiny ladder, and a larger painting you found in the dungeon will have larger figures. This wouldn't solve much when you're summoning stuff from books or music but it should be a good starting point.

Yeah, it could suggest that "larger" pieces are larger in size, so a piece of poetry that's quite long and complex would be larger than, say, a limerick.

Deltasquid posted:

Maybe a point-buy system depending on the quality. You get 1 hold if it's colored, 1 hold if it's made of multiple materials, 1 hold if it's a finished piece with a background, etc? Which you then use to give it tags like "strong" or "explosive" or "fast", like a ranger's animal companion?

This is the kind of thing I was thinking of, but I haven't had the time to sit down and give it a proper ponder, yet.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

I want to run a post-apocalyptic world game about exploration. I'd like to start from a position of the players having little knowledge or memory of the World At Large and build it out from there. I'd like to use a rules light system, and we play a lot of D&D generally. Would dungeon world work for something like this, or is the flavor all wrong?

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Gameko posted:

I want to run a post-apocalyptic world game about exploration. I'd like to start from a position of the players having little knowledge or memory of the World At Large and build it out from there. I'd like to use a rules light system, and we play a lot of D&D generally. Would dungeon world work for something like this, or is the flavor all wrong?

Yes, it is the best system for a game like this. Draw up a rough outline of the world with some vaguely related set pieces, dump them in a starter zone where they can go on a simple quest. Use that quest to fluff up some plot threads and let them take it from there.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Gameko posted:

If you do use DW, grabbing a copy of the Perilous Wilds supplement might be a good idea. It adds more in depth rules around travelling, and gives ideas for generating new places, dungeons and steadings.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?

gnome7 posted:

Oh, I should upload the playbooks with that, huh.

There is a link to the playbooks in a few places inside the book: In the table of contents, at the beginning of the playbook section, and I feel like at least one more but I can't remember where.

Yup, the links are there and I just completed blanked on looking for them in the obvious places. Thanks for updating it on DriveThru though :)

KirbyJ
Oct 30, 2012
Speaking of curating a set of appropriate classes, I'm heavily considering running a Cold Ruins of Lastlife game, but I am having trouble coming up with a set of playbooks that really capture that Castlevania/Dark Souls/etc. feel I would like to portray. Does anyone have any suggestions that can point me in the right direction? Thanks.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Try Grim World.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!
I would definitely suggest the Slayer playbook from the OP, furthermore maybe gnome7's Cultist and Spellsword playbooks, especially because the latter can have a real simon belmont feel, the possibility of getting a sword-whip and various miscellaneous magics and stuff.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Megazver posted:

Try Grim World.

Keep in mind some grim world classes are good, some are not, and some have numbers tied directly into how the settings drastically increases monster health and damage as opposed to normal Dungeon World. I'd stay away from the Templar (especially do not let the player get moves from the paladin playbook because holy poo poo it just one shot every single monster), and probably the Skirmisher. Slayer isn't all that interesting either imo. The Channeler is good though as well as the Necromancer, and the Battlemaster is a great take on a 4e warlord. The Shaman is ok but a little fiddly.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

KirbyJ posted:

Speaking of curating a set of appropriate classes, I'm heavily considering running a Cold Ruins of Lastlife game, but I am having trouble coming up with a set of playbooks that really capture that Castlevania/Dark Souls/etc. feel I would like to portray. Does anyone have any suggestions that can point me in the right direction? Thanks.

there are classes like The Arcane Duelist and Hack'n'Slasher in the OP that are basically Castlevania characters imagined as DW classes. Though they might me too literal. haha.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

Arkanomen posted:

Yes, it is the best system for a game like this. Draw up a rough outline of the world with some vaguely related set pieces, dump them in a starter zone where they can go on a simple quest. Use that quest to fluff up some plot threads and let them take it from there.

For the game I have in mind, the PCs will see the world end first thing in the game.

As a setup, the adventurers are employed by a local fishing village that, according to legend, can catch fish with magic healing properties. No one in the village has caught such a fish in living memory, but some local antagonists who need healing mojo kidnapped a daughter and are threatening the worst if the village doesn't produce a fish.

The heroes are on the way to deal with this when the sun suddenly disappears. It leaves them with three obvious choices:

1. Go back to the village and reconnoiter

2. Continue to deal with antagonists

3. Say the hell with this an investigate missing sun.

My question is do I have too much story in place already for a first session? I have an idea about a big bad (major campaign front) and a few set pieces before even sitting down. Is it too much to have in place for a first session?

Some of the PCs are real suckers for the damsel in distress story so I think they'll be motivated and engaged but I'm not sure how they'll react when the sun dies. They'll be told at the beginning of the first session that the setting is apocalyptic and I want to have a discussion about what this means to them in terms of themes to explore.

The nature of the big bad front is something I'm hoping the PCs help to shape, but I can flesh it out more or less depending on what they do. Is it bad to go into the first session with so many ideas already made? Any thoughts or feedback?

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Gameko posted:

... Is it bad to go into the first session with so many ideas already made? ...

Generally, yes. You miss out on a lot of what makes DW-DW if you have all this kind of stuff preprepared for session 1. You've already got an idea what the world is going to be like, and therefore are more likely to shoot down any ideas that are directly contrary to this plan. If the table wants a maritime adventure, how does this square with that? Or what about a fully subterranean setting? Who cares about the sun if they're all dark elves and dwarves? Maybe they're happy it's gone, if they've even gotten news of it.

That's not necessarily a stop-now-red-flag or anything, but keep it in mind: you're limiting yourself and your players.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
I would start your players traveling to the magic fish pond and let them each express their character's motivation for going to this place. Maybe someone is just curious, maybe someone else wants to steal the fish for their cult back home, maybe another person is shadowing the cultist to stop them etc. Let them draw their DW bonds from that and also let it flesh out the world they live in and give you some plot hooks.

Let's go with the cultist and the spy example.They could head to the lake and then the woman that was kidnapped was the spy's local contact and the spy now has to wager revealing his cover over the contacts life. Maybe the people that stole the contact are a rival cult lead by someone of infamy who knows he cultist player so now the cultist has to avoid being called out. Now there are cults and secret organizations in the world and maybe those persist after the end of the world.

Make loose plot objects and events and then let the players generate their own fluff that you can take and mold around your set pieces, but all you really need to do is put the players together and let it go from there.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

Maybe I'll just approach it as apocalypse...go! I can keep my own ideas in my back pocket in case people need more prodding. I imagine it will take some hand holding to get this group into the shared narrative experience rpg.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

Gameko posted:

For the game I have in mind, the PCs will see the world end first thing in the game.

As a setup, the adventurers are employed by a local fishing village that, according to legend, can catch fish with magic healing properties. No one in the village has caught such a fish in living memory, but some local antagonists who need healing mojo kidnapped a daughter and are threatening the worst if the village doesn't produce a fish.

The heroes are on the way to deal with this when the sun suddenly disappears. It leaves them with three obvious choices:

1. Go back to the village and reconnoiter

2. Continue to deal with antagonists

3. Say the hell with this an investigate missing sun.

My question is do I have too much story in place already for a first session? I have an idea about a big bad (major campaign front) and a few set pieces before even sitting down. Is it too much to have in place for a first session?

Some of the PCs are real suckers for the damsel in distress story so I think they'll be motivated and engaged but I'm not sure how they'll react when the sun dies. They'll be told at the beginning of the first session that the setting is apocalyptic and I want to have a discussion about what this means to them in terms of themes to explore.

The nature of the big bad front is something I'm hoping the PCs help to shape, but I can flesh it out more or less depending on what they do. Is it bad to go into the first session with so many ideas already made? Any thoughts or feedback?

This is... actually pretty fine for an in media res start to the game. Especially if you are totally prepared for the PCs to not give a crap about the sun mystery and mess around with their own personal stuff, and let your apocalypse be the backdrop to their shenanigans.

This is with the huge caveat that you have your players' buy in on this set up. Just pitch it to your players, and if they're cool with it, go for it. Be sure to ask the players how their characters are involved in the world. "Everina, you're an elf. Do the elves have any prophecies about the sun dying?"

Be sure to leave lots of blanks and questions around your setup, and get your players to help fill on those blanks as you play. Like, the short blurb you wrote, and bookmarking some enemies that you think might show up in the DW book is all the prep you need.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Gameko posted:

Maybe I'll just approach it as apocalypse...go! I can keep my own ideas in my back pocket in case people need more prodding. I imagine it will take some hand holding to get this group into the shared narrative experience rpg.

This is something to consider. PbtA games aren't for everyone, I know I had at least half the group that needed a lot of prodding to make stuff up and go with the fiction, and the other half is more the type that just likes to be a part of someone else's story. Over time it got a little better, but be prepared to really push and prod, especially since players aren't usually used to that much agency in a game. If the players are on board for that kind of interaction though it's absolutely great and makes DM'ing a PbtA game an awesome experience.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Gameko posted:

If you want to do this in Dungeon World style, why not go into it with: "The world is ending. Player A, whose fault is it? Player B, what did you do to try to stop it? Player C, why didn't it work?" Keep asking questions until you understand how and why the world is ending, and run into the game from there.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Whybird posted:

If you want to do this in Dungeon World style, why not go into it with: "The world is ending. Character A, whose fault is it? Character B, what did you do to try to stop it? Character C, why didn't it work?" Keep asking questions until you understand how and why the world is ending, and run into the game from there.

Fixed that for you.
Yeah, having your players' characters answer leading questions to fill in the ideas and have a shared story is the way to go. And if they roll their eyes at "the world is ending" because--let's be honest, it's a cliche--don't hesitate to drop it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I'm currently playing in a D&D5e campaign, and I've volunteered to run the next campaign as long as we can play some other system, such as DW. I'm reading through the sourcebook and such material now, but I wanted to ask what experiences people have had running with 6-7 players (+GM)? Do people get enough narrative time?

zarathud
Feb 24, 2013

Hail Eris!
All Hail DISCORDIA!

Subjunctive posted:

I'm currently playing in a D&D5e campaign, and I've volunteered to run the next campaign as long as we can play some other system, such as DW. I'm reading through the sourcebook and such material now, but I wanted to ask what experiences people have had running with 6-7 players (+GM)? Do people get enough narrative time?

Most people would likely say 3-4 players is the sweet spot for DW, especially if you want to maintain a tight narrative, but I and others have run it with larger groups. I find that DW sessions allow more per session story advancement than other RPGs so there should be plenty of opportunities to engage all the PCs. It is definitely more work for the GM as the group size increases especially once you get in the thick of it. If you start to get overwhelmed, you may need to implement some more traditional tools to keep track of everything (e.g. Initiative order, a spotlight system, miniatures on a map).

My recommendation would be to run a oneshot or small campaign with a smaller group and see how it feels before you scale up. Actually playing in a game with an experienced GM (or at least watching a recorded play) before you run it would also be helpful.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

zarathud posted:

My recommendation would be to run a oneshot or small campaign with a smaller group and see how it feels before you scale up. Actually playing in a game with an experienced GM (or at least watching a recorded play) before you run it would also be helpful.

Watching a recorded play would be great -- do you recommend any specifically?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

Watching a recorded play would be great -- do you recommend any specifically?

For an example of why a lot of players isn't a great idea I would recommend checking out Friends at the Table's first episodes. They start off with just 5 and the prospect of adding a 6th causes them to split up into two teams. Once they get to the combat portion of the adventure you begin to see why they went ahead and divided up into smaller groups.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

FatT is great and I recommend it, but if you want a quicker hit Adam Koebel has done two one-shots for Roll20's YouTube channel that are very good.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

zarathud posted:

Most people would likely say 3-4 players is the sweet spot for DW...
Well, I'd say 3-5 is the sweet spot for any in-person RPG... but DW is one of the more forgiving ones I've ever seen, and PbtA is the only type of game I will not directly refuse to run more than 6 people in.

Serf posted:

For an example of why a lot of players isn't a great idea I would recommend checking out Friends at the Table's first episodes. They start off with just 5 and the prospect of adding a 6th causes them to split up into two teams. Once they get to the combat portion of the adventure you begin to see why they went ahead and divided up into smaller groups.

Huh, really? I've not observed this issue, and I've run with 7 or 8 once. Maybe it's a group dynamic thing?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Serf posted:

Very interesting, hmm. Maybe we'll do two groups.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
It's definitely more tricky with 6 or more. I ran a DW campaign with 4 and it went smoothly. Occasional sessions with 5 were also fine. My friend picked up and started doing a 6 person game, and it's definitely harder to keep track of everything. We found that people were getting accidentally skipped in combat or quieter players were doing less, so we use a little "turn marker" like Imperial Assault does. Basically, you have a token that you flip after you've done something that round in combat. At the start of a new round you all flip them.

It's definitely workable, but you may get a bit less spotlight time on what makes given characters great at their particular area. It is also definitely more work for the GM to keep track of that many characters, plus players in big groups tend to split up more often.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

I've run a fair amount of DW and I'd say 5 players is the hard maximum for an enjoyable time with Dungeon World - especially with new players, or particularly active ones. I'd never try running a game for 6 or 7 people, it would be chaos. Even 5 players can get massively out of hand and there can be a lot of dead time for the players. YMMV but in my experience I wouldn't do it.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

My group recently finished the Curse of Strahd DnD5 campaign, and I'd like to introduce them to DW. They're plenty creative, and were pretty much held back from following an adventure. I'd like to give them some options with setting, and ask if they have any ideas. After reading the guide in the second post and reading the rulebook/last page, it seems like I'd be just fine if I create the start of the world in the first session thru questions about the characters and their races/experiences, along with starting them off in some sort of conflict to learn how rolling works. Are there any recommended map generators/creators that I could use, or would something like tile cards for each part of the map work better? I figure for places like dungeons and ruins it's best to have a layout that the players fill in (leave blanks). Anything not mentioned in the last page or so that would be helpful for veterans of DnD/Pathfinder?

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

Mr E posted:

My group recently finished the Curse of Strahd DnD5 campaign, and I'd like to introduce them to DW. They're plenty creative, and were pretty much held back from following an adventure. I'd like to give them some options with setting, and ask if they have any ideas. After reading the guide in the second post and reading the rulebook/last page, it seems like I'd be just fine if I create the start of the world in the first session thru questions about the characters and their races/experiences, along with starting them off in some sort of conflict to learn how rolling works. Are there any recommended map generators/creators that I could use, or would something like tile cards for each part of the map work better? I figure for places like dungeons and ruins it's best to have a layout that the players fill in (leave blanks). Anything not mentioned in the last page or so that would be helpful for veterans of DnD/Pathfinder?

DW is pretty playable without detailed maps. You can get away with drawing your dungeon like a relationship map - words to describe an area and lines that connect it to the other areas. It's also totally acceptable to use the map from something else if it suits the setting you and your players create.

How much you prepare is a dial. I've run a lot of Dungeon World, and I can easily run a first session with zero preparation. My recommendation is to start off small. For your first time GMing, note down which monsters you're interested in, or think up one or two starting situations. You can start them at the entrance to a dungeon, or several rooms into the dungeon already and in a tight spot, or on a ship that's under attack from pirates, or zombie pirates, or kobold pirates, or investigating the disappearance of someone semi-important in a creepy village with a dark secret.

Grow your overall world out from that single starting situation.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Mr E posted:

In terms of designing locations and dungeons, I recommend checking out The Perilous Wilds. It provides a procedure and various tables for coming up with regions, locations and dungeons. The process is not map based, but you can create maps from your results. There are a couple of other supplements Perilous Almanacs and Perilous Deeps which contain worked examples of regions and dungeons created using The Perilous Wilds as inspiration.

Servants of the Cinder Queen is a cool adventure from the same publisher that provides a neat, semi-random dungeon outline that can be improvised from, and is a cool example of a way to create a DW adventure. Also, the artwork owns.

The stuff I've linked isn't the only way to prep a DW adventure, and isn't necessarily the best, but I have had good results incorporating a bunch of the content into my games.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

this game is very rad, friends.

Two sessions into a campaign.
Remarkable how much more satisfying and frenetic the action is - even playing as a boilerplate Fighter - than they were in our last fantasy campaign with the same GM, which was D20 Lord of the Rings.

Bonds are cool and I'm glad they're the thing from the Apocalypse engine that all the mainstream developers have decided to copy.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Mr E posted:

Sounds like you've got the right idea. Go for it and fill us in.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

First session went fantastic! Everyone picked up the rules really quickly and loved being able to input into the campaign rather than just having the GM tell them what happens. We've got Bernie the Salamander (Immolator), Bronson Strongfoot the Halfling (Thief), and Samson "Beancans" Timerhy the Elf (Fighter). It has a great mix of silly/meta/serious, and using the map making rules from The Perilous Wilds was really cool. They're currently after the Hat of Translucent Correspondance (a google maps hat), and I have plenty of ammo for Fronts and such. For groups/hordes of enemies, is it their highest damage dice + extra number of enemies?

zarathud
Feb 24, 2013

Hail Eris!
All Hail DISCORDIA!

Mr E posted:

For groups/hordes of enemies, is it their highest damage dice + extra number of enemies?

Yes, "If multiple creatures attack at once roll the highest damage among them and add +1 damage for each monster beyond the first."

Also, don't forget that when the PC's are fighting foes, on a Hack and Slash, "If the action that triggers the move could reasonably hurt multiple targets roll once and apply damage to each target (they each get their armor)."

For example, if the Fighter wades into a group of half a dozen 3 HP goblins hackin' and a slashin', if he hits and gets a 10 for damage, using the above rule you could adjudicate that he kill them all. I know some folks house rule and use a "spillover damage" philosophy instead, allowing damage to spillover to the next monster when the first is killed (assuming it makes sense in the fiction). In our example, the Fighter would instead kill 3 goblins and do 1 HP to a fourth.

zarathud fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Oct 25, 2016

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

Well, my first session of dungeon world went OK. The players were down with a post apocalyptic setting, and in true dungeon world fashion we're still collectively figuring out what that means.

I'm writing my first campaign fronts now. During the first session the players decided two truths about the world:

1. The gods have abandoned the world. Why this is nobody knows.

2. The main feature of the post apocalypse is the world is wracked by constantly changing weather and geological events.

I'm thinking of rolling a d6 every time I prepare to make a hard move and on a 6 the move will be a sudden weather shift or earthquake-type event. Beyond that though, I'm looking for advice on writing the campaign front. The players mentioned the want to find out what happened to the gods, and certainly all the whacky weather stuff would certainly seem to be god related. My trouble is I'm not sure how much to decide about this god stuff before hand.

At the moment I have no idea what became of the gods and I want to play to find out. At the same time, I can come up with several clichéd answers as to what became of the gods. I'm worried that if pressed in play these clichés will end up coming out. Can anyone give advice for writing this front? How much should be plotted before hand? Is a good answer likely to arrive organically?

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009

Gameko posted:

I'm writing my first campaign fronts now.
Can anyone give advice for writing this front? How much should be plotted before hand? Is a good answer likely to arrive organically?

I don't have a ton of experience, so take this with a grain of salt:

Can anyone give advice for writing this front?

The big answers to the big questions:
I've always played that there are always more than one 'right' answer.
1) What the GM thinks or comes up with ahead of time: Hey, maybe the gods got bored and wandered off. Or decided now is the time for Ragnarok --- but WHY?
2) Player input: <Bob the Wizard> What if the gods are being manipulated by extra-planar entities? -- Well, maybe you had an idea ahead of time, but now you think, hey maybe the titan's chains are breaking, or the ~~OLD ONES~~ are rising, causing in-fighting with the gods, or slowly driving them mad ?

How much should be plotted beforehand?
In my experience, I've always plotted the skeleton:
1. The Big Question / Hook / Campaign Idea -- The gods are gone/missing/crazy/warring
2. Dangers! What stands in the way of the heroes doing the thing? -- evil of some sort? chaos? How about ~~THE OLD ONES~~?
3. Grim portents these are things that may happen if the heroes fail or ignore the dangers. They are more or less a random / semi-random series of events which eventually lead to the impending doom. I think of them as kind of a check list. A monolith appears in a capitol city and a half-mile of city disappears as if it had never existed, The arcane ministry investigates the mololith, waygates start to hum with magical energy, a crevasse opens up , tidal forces cause havoc on the coast, tornados tear through the sky , the crevasse starts spewing forth fire and sulfur [concluding the 4 elemental representations of chaos] , the waygates open, a champion of evil/chaos arrives/is chosen/is possesed to set the final stage for the coming of the ~~OLD ONES~~
4. Impending Doom!! In this case, destruction, chaos, pestilence - the sky tears open and the ~~OLD ONES~~ arrive.
5. Leading questions / Stakes questions: What role does the monolith play? - play to find out! I often use things like: Which of you had family who lived in the city where the monolith appeared? --- but i'm bad at stakes questions.

Finally, answers do arrive organically in the game. When it doubt, give the players a chance to voice their theories of what happens then build on that.. Use phrases like "Yes, that happens .. but -insert a tiwst-" or "yes! That happens, AND THEN -this other thing happens, building off the first-"

Hope this helps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
Starting a new game soon, and one of my players is requesting to play a melee class that uses illusions and trickery and "debuffs" rather than raw martial ability. Anyone got any ideas for playbooks?