Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Digirat posted:

Trash player lost our grim for us, lrn2rat :reject: *ignores three rats about to hit teammate in the back, insists on holding out in the area with a 180 degree angle of attack*

Oh don't get me started. I was doing a nightmare run on Engines of War and the geniuses decided to hold out on the pier, and of course there's a rambo Elf. I'm just standing there whacking rats thinking "are you guys loving insane?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
Nah, pier is fun and good, I hate it when people insist on hiding away in the basement.
Yes it's easy, but also boring. See: trueflight bow and bolt staff.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Funny that you mention those when they're the things that make people want to hold out on the pier vs the basement

At the end of a 20 minute game, most people do not want to take risks with the tomes and grimoires they have on nightmare, especially now that there's contracts for books. They just want to win. And barring specific weapon setups like trueflight or bolt sniping everything in the open before it can even get to you, the safest way to deal with waves without letting stray hits in is to find a place where you have to cover the narrowest angle of attack, so that you can just CC in one direction until it's over. The wider the angle, the more chance you have of getting hit from the side or from behind, and the fewer rats you can CC at once. People are just really goddamn bad at staying in formation so you rarely see this work as well as it can.

Secondary things to consider are how much visibility you have of specials before they can hurt you, and whether you have an escape route in case of gas etc. This is why upstairs behind the bench is the best place on horn of magnus, as long as one person is good about watching the back.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Speaking of getting hit in the back, since the latest patch I've noticed an odd swoopy sound effect followed by a drum when a rat is swinging at you from behind. Seems like some strange cue they added to look behind you, but it usually triggers way too late so you don't actually notice it until the moment when you get hit anyway. What's up with that.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Digirat posted:

Trash player lost our grim for us, lrn2rat :reject: *ignores three rats about to hit teammate in the back, insists on holding out in the area with a 180 degree angle of attack*

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Digirat posted:

They do attack from three angles at the horn spot too

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

If you stay in formation behind the bench it's only forward and backward. It's little better than the other spot if people keep running forward, which they do way too often (I'm far from perfect about this myself, hell I fall off the edge sometimes). Going forward means you can get hit by rats from the left, and two spots the rats can drop in from will now be behind you. While staying behind the bench means three people can face forward with complete safety as long as one does their job and watches backward, and that player has the ability to just shove any stormvermin off so that their side doesn't get overloaded

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I got a little mad when a RamboElf lost our grim leaping directly into the middle of a pack of rats on nightmare, but you get partial credit for contracts so that helped. At least I only needed one more run with one grim to complete the contract.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I find that contracts have made more players become assholes who want to be perfectionists, except they still suck. I'm only level 49 and pretty cap at timing and blocking but I'm still better than so many level 100+ players.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
How so? The only extra objective is killing a rat ogre, everybody will go for tomes & grims automatically.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

What do I need to do to unlock the contracts board? I've joined random parties since I got this, and never had a solid run through the base content. Do I need to finish everything on hard to unlock more stuff? Or what?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Complete the 13 original levels to get the board

Lunethex posted:

How so? The only extra objective is killing a rat ogre, everybody will go for tomes & grims automatically.

I would assume because some contracts need 3 tomes or 2 grimoires, people probably get real mad when they don't get the contract done in one run.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Ignite Memories posted:

What do I need to do to unlock the contracts board? I've joined random parties since I got this, and never had a solid run through the base content. Do I need to finish everything on hard to unlock more stuff? Or what?

We had to finish all the missions on any difficulty to unlock the board.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Okay, so, the key to the two-handed axe seems to be to dodge back rather than push forward. Hit them, dodge back, step forward while charging, hit them again. Unlike the Zweihander, where the goal is Push Charge Swing Push Charge Swing generally.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Night10194 posted:

Okay, so, the key to the two-handed axe seems to be to dodge back rather than push forward. Hit them, dodge back, step forward while charging, hit them again.
That's pretty much how you use the two-handed hammer, otherwise known as the Best Weapon. :swoon:

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

That isn't how I like to use the two handed sword at all. At least Saltspyre's. I like just using the uncharged attack.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

That isn't how I like to use the two handed sword at all. At least Saltspyre's. I like just using the uncharged attack.

Why would you do such insanity.

I sometimes forget the Zweihanders even have a light attack.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Because it cleaves through 3 slave rats in one swing and comes out faster.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
The Zweihander's light attack is alright, but nobody's losing their head over it.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Because it cleaves through 3 slave rats in one swing and comes out faster.

I always find the light attack is 'messy'. As in, it's easier to let one slip past and get me a bit when I'm using it.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

I can't get a good timing on the charged attack. Since his hands leave the screen I can't tell as easy when its okay to release. So I have guys slipping in whenever I try it. What I really need to figure out is the timings on the daggersword

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Night10194 posted:

I always find the light attack is 'messy'. As in, it's easier to let one slip past and get me a bit when I'm using it.

This is what gets me. Trying to wade in with light attacks gets me hit. Shoving and charge attacking keeps me safe and does good damage per swing. The charge attack also kills NM clan rats in one hit, whether a headshot or not, while the normal attack always needs two swings even if you hit the head. I only really use the normal attack much against naked mole rats, which are a non-issue for almost every weapon.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Digirat posted:

This is what gets me. Trying to wade in with light attacks gets me hit. Shoving and charge attacking keeps me safe and does good damage per swing. The charge attack also kills NM clan rats in one hit, whether a headshot or not, while the normal attack always needs two swings even if you hit the head. I only really use the normal attack much against naked mole rats, which are a non-issue for almost every weapon.

It'll kill the first rat you hit in one swing, but the other 5 it can nail before it gets stuck (which is also amazing, especially given its long reach) will be wounded. So push and then slam 'em again and you get to feel loving incredible as 5 rats all die in one swing in various states of dismemberment.

I swear wading through a shitload of rats never gets old.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Got an orange Dwarf rifle with a 99% chance to pierce an extra target, a 17.5% chance to score an instant headshot, and 50% movement speed while aiming. Not bad at all.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

That's good, but you're going to want to reroll it until you get master crafted. No other trait is as important on a handgun or crossbow.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

http://steamcommunity.com/games/235540/announcements/detail/805408658848774910

quote:

Patch 1.4.1 Fixes and New Locales

New Features
Added support for Polish, Italian and Portuguese-Brazil.

Bug Fixes
Fixed a hole in The Enemy Below
Fixed crash caused by switching hero
Fixed crash caused by changing hotkeys outside of the Inn
Fixed crash caused by differing “use baked enemy meshes” settings between host & client (I KNEW IT)
Fixed other misc. crashes

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Do we have any idea when the next console patch is?

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I know exactly where that loving hole in The Enemy Blow is...

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Somehow never noticed this before. pretty cool.

Nothing two shields in a good choke point can't handle.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yeah that's where the loud marching chant in that chamber comes from. i've idly thought it would be really cool to have a mini last-stand thing there where you hold one of the sides of that tunnel. would almost function as a training thing since it'd be the same sort of idea as last stand but ostensibly easier since it doesn't force you to get surrounded.

Nija
Mar 2, 2003
F A C K

drrockso20 posted:

Do we have any idea when the next console patch is?

I had a 450mb update when I turned on my ps4 this evening - around 9pm PST.

I played last night so this is new.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Verisimilidude posted:

I can see why people would want to keep playing this game, but it's so bad with rewarding players considering how frustrating it can be. Loot dice should be shared, because it turns into a team-ruining mad dash for loot chests (most of which are empty anyway) and there is nothing more disheartening than getting all the tomes, spending 45 minutes in a game, and then rolling one comet just to get a common weapon for a character you don't use.

The gameplay is fine if kinda shallow, and it has me hopeful for a sequel that makes it more accessible.

I keep coming back to this game, the gameplay gets boring after a while but its fun again after a month's break. The loot system is actually pretty rewarding if you play Nightmare, and you don't need good gear to clear maps (unlike what most people think). I've been killing skaven on and off since the game came out and now all of my characters are decked out in orange gear with good properties. The shrine helps a lot. Still no orange trinkets tho, hopefully we'll get some of those through quests :P

Speaking of which, do new contracts appear daily?

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Nija posted:

I had a 450mb update when I turned on my ps4 this evening - around 9pm PST.

I played last night so this is new.

For those interested, the major item in that patch is improved matchmaking. Also, it won't disconnect people if they switch characters.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Quests and Contracts is a really good addition that, like the Shrine, should've been in the game from the start.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

I haven't played this game since launch and now I want to play again but don't feel like getting screamed at by internet people. poo poo sucks.

Shadowlz fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Oct 19, 2016

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

hosting is p2p so just always be hostin'. even if people are bitchy, kicking the host effectively scuttles everyone so it affords you some level of insulation from the bullshit.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I had 4 games last night with 4 different elf players that were using some sort of memory edit to not lose health on hit. It was the most boring un fun bullshit; losing fairly is plenty fun if you're not a loving idiot baby.

We still managed to lose 2 of them when the elf was off pressing M1 by themselves, the rest of us went down, and they got packmaster'd. gently caress elf players.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
It's pretty impressive they are doing that so soon after a patch, unless they're just using common CE methods and not Griffin's console & mod.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

NeurosisHead posted:

I had 4 games last night with 4 different elf players that were using some sort of memory edit to not lose health on hit. It was the most boring un fun bullshit; losing fairly is plenty fun if you're not a loving idiot baby.

We still managed to lose 2 of them when the elf was off pressing M1 by themselves, the rest of us went down, and they got packmaster'd. gently caress elf players.

had an elf on supply and demand not drop down for the finale and just shoot poo poo with his trueflight. lost us a grim and tome, then saud something in moon runes before we kicked him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Had a level 400 bright wizard rage quit on supply and demand because we lost a grim. Oh no, we're only going to get halfway towards completing the contract and another run will seal it.

• Locked thread