Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Wacky Delly posted:

Range is not great. I have a set of bluetooth speakers at the office, and it doesn't do well with them unless its right next to them. That's at least partially the speaker's fault though. Nougat really improved how bluetooth performs for me. I used to get a lot of drops in the car, and times when it wouldn't connect, or would connect and not play anything and those issues have gone away since I updated.
Same issues with the car (sync3) and my 6P. It's better but not fixed with N. I'm hoping the Pixel's build is better.

I know it's battered wife syndrome, but what do you expect at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

Just tried to switch 3 different friends to Allo from Hangouts. All of them said the same thing in different ways once I tried to explain Allo, "gently caress that until SMS integration and a web app" :sigh: Google, why do you make this as hard as possible?

I mean this in the most genuine non-snarky way possible - why would you try to switch anyone to Allo? What does it have that you don't get from any other platform?

Use Telegram and Whatsapp like every else, because they're actually good platforms that work and have core features and users.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

nimper posted:

"Deprecated" is a strong word; it's just not the default messaging appenabled by default on the Pixel. This is good because Allo is cool and good and I wish more people would use it.

Allo doesn't have proper SMS or Desktop support. That's all it takes to make it bad, especially as a replacement for an app that has both of those things.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

PerrineClostermann posted:

Allo doesn't have proper SMS or Desktop support. That's all it takes to make it bad, especially as a replacement for an app that has both of those things.

I don't understand why they didn't just make Allo have SMS integration, since it's all cell number based anyways. I'm :psyduck: they didn't just make a straight forward iMessage clone. There's really no rationalization for anything in Allo.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Taffer posted:

I mean this in the most genuine non-snarky way possible - why would you try to switch anyone to Allo? What does it have that you don't get from any other platform?

Use Telegram and Whatsapp like every else, because they're actually good platforms that work and have core features and users.

No one here uses WhatsApp. Not trying to humblebrag here or anything so please don't take it as that, but I have a lot of friends in many varied social groups, and no one uses WhatsApp. Everyone uses SMS, iMessage, or a small number use Hangouts. I would experience the same difficulty trying to get people to move to Telegram or WhatsApp that I do trying to get people onto Allo. It's honestly easier just to use SMS.

I consider myself super flexible as far as messaging apps go but I can't expect that of other people, and it needs to be as easy and seamless as possible. It's not at all, unfortuntaely.

Also for reviews, I usually like Technobuffalo a lot too, Jon Rettinger is a cool and smart dude:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKClp0RRM_U

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

CLAM DOWN posted:

No one here uses WhatsApp.

You must be American, because literally the rest of the entire world uses Whatapp.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Yeah the US is the only country that doesn't use Whatsapp, which sucks because it's far and away the best messaging platform but nobody I know will use it other than my dad.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What even is Whatsapp? Just a messenger for phones?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Jerk McJerkface posted:

You must be American, because literally the rest of the entire world uses Whatapp.

As I've posted a ton everywhere and repeatedly in this thread, I'm Canadian, in Vancouver BC specifically. WhatsApp is basically not used here, it's so rare. The US is not the only country that does not use WhatsApp.

e: specifically, of all my friends, I had one on WhatsApp and we just SMS instead these days.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I'm American and everyone I know has slowly moved to whatsapp. It's just simple and fast. Turns out messaging apps don't need to do a bunch.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I use Hangouts because it uses SMS integration with Google Voice, but I often wonder why I still use Google Voice.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Can someone do a quick breakdown of the google messaging apps now and which ones do what? Someone was saying there's 4 now?

Hangouts - SMS, google chat, (also voicemail, but maybe thats project fi only?), built in to Gmail
Messenger - SMS only?
Allo - allo only?
whats the 4th?

peepsalot fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Oct 18, 2016

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

FogHelmut posted:

I use Hangouts because it uses SMS integration with Google Voice, but I often wonder why I still use Google Voice.

:same:

Part of me just wants Google to finally kill off Voice so I have an excuse to ditch it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

No Google Voice in Canada so no help there :(

peepsalot posted:

Can someone do a quick breakdown of the google messaging apps now and which ones do what? Someone was saying there's 4 now?

Hangouts - SMS, google chat
Messenger - SMS only?
Allo - allo only?
whats the 4th?

That's all correct. The 4th is Duo, the Facetime clone.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

No one here uses WhatsApp. Not trying to humblebrag here or anything so please don't take it as that, but I have a lot of friends in many varied social groups, and no one uses WhatsApp. Everyone uses SMS, iMessage, or a small number use Hangouts. I would experience the same difficulty trying to get people to move to Telegram or WhatsApp that I do trying to get people onto Allo. It's honestly easier just to use SMS.

I consider myself super flexible as far as messaging apps go but I can't expect that of other people, and it needs to be as easy and seamless as possible. It's not at all, unfortuntaely.

Also for reviews, I usually like Technobuffalo a lot too, Jon Rettinger is a cool and smart dude:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKClp0RRM_U

That's fine and understandable, messaging fragmentation sucks and most of the people I know ultimately end up using SMS. But if I was going to try to convert them to something it would be hangouts since everyone has the necessary account already or Telegram because it's fantastic. I wouldn't even consider Allo. I didn't even bother installing it on any device because it's so dreadfully lacking even the most basic features of a messaging platform. Why bother?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Mogomra posted:

:same:

Part of me just wants Google to finally kill off Voice so I have an excuse to ditch it.

At first I was all "Yeah I can just switch carriers like a boss to whoever has the better deal that month!"

I've been on TMobile for like 4 years.

Meanwhile, I spent all that time waiting for SMS to exist, group texts to exist. But it just doesn't integrate with Bluetooth devices and whatever else. And it never became that true iMessage clone.

Being able to read poorly translated voicemails is nice though. And SMSing from my desktop is nice in theory, but I don't.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

No Google Voice in Canada so no help there :(

That's all correct. The 4th is Duo, the Facetime clone.

Hangouts does video and/or voice too

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

FogHelmut posted:

I have only ever used Google Voice for voicemail. It's also at least integrated into Dialer/phone/contacts now!. Because: gently caress paying for visual voicemail.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
I use Hangouts and Email and shockingly I call people

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

FogHelmut posted:

At first I was all "Yeah I can just switch carriers like a boss to whoever has the better deal that month!"

I've been on TMobile for like 4 years.

Meanwhile, I spent all that time waiting for SMS to exist, group texts to exist. But it just doesn't integrate with Bluetooth devices and whatever else. And it never became that true iMessage clone.

Being able to read poorly translated voicemails is nice though. And SMSing from my desktop is nice in theory, but I don't.

Now that we have (reasonably) reliable group messages and MMS, it is way better than it was. I actually do text from my computer quite a bit too.

At the end of the day, I just don't like hangouts. The new issue I'm having, that I'm sure no one else is experiencing, is that group messages no longer show my contact's names. I just see their phone numbers and get the guess who I'm talking to based on the context of the conversation.

My Droid Turbo also has a feature that reads text messages to me while I'm driving, but for whatever god damned reason Hangouts doesn't count as an SMS app even though it's set as my default SMS app, so no reading my text messages while I'm driving.

There's also the added bonus of needing to keep my phone charged because if Android goes into Battery Saver mode, you don't get to use Hangouts anymore.

Meanwhile, SMS just works. :monocle:

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

CLAM DOWN posted:

As I've posted a ton everywhere and repeatedly in this thread, I'm Canadian, in Vancouver BC specifically. WhatsApp is basically not used here, it's so rare. The US is not the only country that does not use WhatsApp.

e: specifically, of all my friends, I had one on WhatsApp and we just SMS instead these days.

Just to be clear, Canada is basically part of the United States.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Just to be clear, Canada is basically part of the United States.

Fight me irl

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

CLAM DOWN posted:

Fight me irl

Here we have proof that while you may be located in Canada geographically, you are clearly American inside.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

CLAM DOWN posted:

Fight me irl

You shall have my maple syrup, and my toque! :dota101:

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

Fight me irl
#makeAlloGreatAgain

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

Just tried to switch 3 different friends to Allo from Hangouts. All of them said the same thing in different ways once I tried to explain Allo, "gently caress that until SMS integration and a web app" :sigh: Google, why do you make this as hard as possible?

Have you considered trying to get them to use Telegram? Since Hangouts had its death sentence, my work has switched over from Hangouts and I've switched my friends over as well.

It doesn't have video calling like Hangouts but it has pretty much everything else good about it, it has a much better desktop app than Hangouts, it's cross platform, it has encryption if you're :tinfoil:, and the photos don't look like an aborted potato with its compression. Plus it works with video messages and there's some dumb stickers/games.

I guess it doesn't have SMS either but that ticks one of the boxes and more people should probably use Telegram anyway.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

It's the same uphill battle no matter what I try and get people to switch to. I'd prefer to blame Google for an abortion of a messaging app ecosystem.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Does pushbullet or whatever support Allo? Then you could sort of use it from the desktop.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Does pushbullet or whatever support Allo? Then you could sort of use it from the desktop.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PushBullet/comments/53t9rb/google_allo_reply_support/

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Hace posted:

I am curious why people always complain about 16GB options if nobody uses onboard storage that much though

When you add in the carrier bloatware and stuff, you can burn through that 16GB pretty quick. I was getting low memory warnings on my Moto X pretty regularly because everything likes to cache a shitload of stuff, apparently.

That said, 32GB should be fine these days.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

CLAM DOWN posted:

But...no one uses Allo either so what's the difference?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I use what's app because my friend left for peace corps and now my wife and I exclusively user WhatsApp with each other because it's way better than sms

PS WhatsApp is great

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Desk Lamp posted:

But...no one uses Allo either so what's the difference?

Well it looks like Google is slowly pushing us off Hangouts and I really don't like using a thousand different apps for messaging, so it's partially just wishful thinking on my part maybe?

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I use what's app because my friend left for peace corps and now my wife and I exclusively user WhatsApp with each other because it's way better than sms

PS WhatsApp is great

WhatsApp is definitely great, but it doesn't matter how good a messaging app is if no one I communicate with uses it, and if it's not a super easy seamless process to switch over.

Also the Verge has some pretty nice words about the Pixel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJOgF15LLZk

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

The Slack Lagoon posted:

PS WhatsApp is great

Same story for me, except it was my sister traveling abroad that got my family all using WhatsApp.

I just wish it wasn't so ugly. Some color customization like Textra would be swell. Pro tip: use Tapet (recommend in this thread I think) to get some nice Whatsapp backgrounds that complement the kinda dull green.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

incogneato posted:

Same story for me, except it was my sister traveling abroad that got my family all using WhatsApp.

I burned a bunch of political capital with my circle of friends to move our long running MMS group threads to WhatsApp. The two clinchers was a volunteer event where we needed reliable messaging with a 20 person group and the other a buddy who does storm chasing needing something more predictable and tracable than MMS across several people for sending radar images around.

Hell, last night I just had two Android to iPhone converts install it with minor suggestion, just "it works pretty well and better than Hangouts". Done.

Oh, and all these people are in the US.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Also WhatsApp works on wifi which my sms doesnt so i can text when I'm in mom's basement

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

Well it looks like Google is slowly pushing us off Hangouts and I really don't like using a thousand different apps for messaging, so it's partially just wishful thinking on my part maybe?
Haven't we reached a point with OS integration and smart notifications or whatever it's called that it doesn't matter? I don't even think about what type of messaging notification/platform I'm replying with. It can be an SMS, iMessage, Facebook Messenger, GroupMe, KakaoTalk, WeChat, etc. and I just look at who it is and reply as needed. Beyond the initial setup of remembering which apps to download and log into, I don't feel like it's that difficult to maintain a presence on different message platforms.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Haven't we reached a point with OS integration and smart notifications or whatever it's called that it doesn't matter? I don't even think about what type of messaging notification/platform I'm replying with. It can be an SMS, iMessage, Facebook Messenger, GroupMe, KakaoTalk, WeChat, etc. and I just look at who it is and reply as needed. Beyond the initial setup of remembering which apps to download and log into, I don't feel like it's that difficult to maintain a presence on different message platforms.

Agreed, except when you want to share something with someone and you have to think about which app to do it in.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

That's fine assuming that those platforms are available everywhere. I can't even install Allo on my Pixel C and even if I could my conversations wouldn't be there and I would be under a different identity.

I like Allo as an app, I actually like it quite a bit more than hangouts as an app. As a platform though, it's too limiting. I want to be able to chat on my Pixel tablet or on my Chromebook. These are two Google products yet they lock out their own platform. It's silly. It's a step backwards since it's just as limiting as SMS.

All they needed to do is go cloud sync and let you associate you phone number on other devices, sprinkle in hangouts and SMS fallback, and it would have been an amazing platform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

bull3964 posted:

That's fine assuming that those platforms are available everywhere. I can't even install Allo on my Pixel C and even if I could my conversations wouldn't be there and I would be under a different identity.
Right. I don't give a poo poo about Allo and was just speaking to the issue of "I don't like using a thousand different messaging apps," but in the context of an Allo conversation I agree with your point.

bull3964 posted:

All they needed to do is go cloud sync and let you associate you phone number on other devices, sprinkle in hangouts and SMS fallback, and it would have been an amazing platform.
So we're back to "please just copy iMessage"