Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Bruceski posted:

If it ends with some "the real treasure is friendship/Jesus" thing (as the pirates' goal, not the game because of COURSE family being the important thing is going to be Nate's moral) I will be annoyed.

But we've already established that the real treasure is Jesus, Bruceski.

How else did you think the pirates got their 「Stands」?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

I called it so hard and I'm still disappointed.

I'm sorry this game is longer than six hours and contains a variety of locations. That must be very hard on you.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

I called it so hard and I'm still disappointed.

Also if the treasure is where we think it is now that volcano will 100% erupt just in time to make sure no one gets any treasure.

I dunno, it's a cliche of adventure movies/games but I think they excused it pretty well here. Making pirates solve water bucket puzzles as a test to see if you are worthy to enter a secret pirate society is very silly, but at least it wasn't like in Uncharted 3 where clues literally just led to other clues that pointed to other clues.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
So what happens if the first recruit picks up the cross? What then, Avery? :smug:

the true treasure was joining SKELETON HOUSE all along

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Sure was lucky no-one in the last couple of hundred years sailed a boat around the cathedral and saw that giant fuckoff huge mechanism from the collapsed test through the massive hole in the side of the cave.

Or ever looked (or fell) down any of the huge holes in the ground leading to the area which gave Drake his atmospheric area lighting.

Also, was Avery a pirate king or was he a pirate construction company given all the world class tradesman in his crew?

I know it's silly to get hung up on things like these, but when you go to so much effort to make your games look real, weird holes stand out even more.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

Gorilla Salad posted:

Sure was lucky no-one in the last couple of hundred years sailed a boat around the cathedral and saw that giant fuckoff huge mechanism from the collapsed test through the massive hole in the side of the cave.

Or ever looked (or fell) down any of the huge holes in the ground leading to the area which gave Drake his atmospheric area lighting.

Also, was Avery a pirate king or was he a pirate construction company given all the world class tradesman in his crew?

Part the first: That cliff below the mechanism is not something you would ever want to get near in a boat, unless you were absolutely insane and/or had a death wish. You would have to be directly underneath it to actually see what's inside the cave, judging from what you can see from Nate's point of view.

Thing the second: Shoreline and dynamite. There probably weren't as many holes before they showed up.

Item the third: That's touched upon later in the story. Never really outright EXPLAINED, but touched upon (Nate and Sam debate about it for a while around that point, too).

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

How did he know the Cross+Scale trick would even work?

He obviously never tested it

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Nate's super powers include clairvoyance

Or he has seen like every single 80s-90s adventure movie

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Obviously, the floor collapse is an unintended result of the place being old as gently caress and falling apart, whereas the real function of taking the cross is to display an alternate map to a fake location.

It also displays the message "Put the cross back for the next guy btw" except with more piratey phrasing.

Also nobody showed up to Avery's clubhouse in Madagascar, while the fake location turned into pirate thunderdome.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Gorilla Salad posted:

Henry Avery was a crazy mechanical savant, even inventing power tools centuries before anyone else. The test machines at St. Dismas were built with his favorite air-powered hex wrench. "Arrr, it's drivin' me nuts!" as he always liked to say.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Josuke Higashikata posted:

How did he know the Cross+Scale trick would even work?

He obviously never tested it

I thought he noted the floor and you see him talking to Sam when Nadine is trying to get a hold of Rafe. That or Nate just knows he's a natural at destruction.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I know Rafe is supposed to be rich but amateur, but he could have saved so much money on dynamite if he hired a geologist with a ground penetrating radar and a drone.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

FAT BATMAN posted:

I am very curious about the power dynamic between Nadine and Rafe. Before their scene I had assumed Rafe would be impotently ordering her around and threatening to cut her off from his $ if she didn't do what he said because He's The Boss, but they seem to be...actual partners?

She's using Rafe. She and her PMC secretly work for Umbrella, and Umbrella heard about a gold coffin that has a super virus, blue tree sap , and fear water.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Uncharted games have the best set pieces. :allears:

I'm not sure if collapsing scottish pirate ruins tops burning chateau but it's a pretty drat good spectacle either way.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

zedprime posted:

I know Rafe is supposed to be rich but amateur, but he could have saved so much money on dynamite if he hired a geologist with a ground penetrating radar and a drone.

But the Nate wouldn't have been able to arm himself heavily or find anything to blast through those doors. And then nothing would have been either destroyed or unearthed.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

zedprime posted:

He tried but they all left after he said "You'll totally live after I find any secret pirate treasure"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

KieranWalker posted:

Part the first: That cliff below the mechanism is not something you would ever want to get near in a boat, unless you were absolutely insane and/or had a death wish. You would have to be directly underneath it to actually see what's inside the cave, judging from what you can see from Nate's point of view.

Also, we see the results of someone trying that in the game itself, the brothers Drake climbed over a crashed-rear end pirate ship way down below in the last episode.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

God-drat but the facial animations in this game are top-notch. Not only that, but the DIRECTION of the emotion is great too!

But Ironicus, I must point out, it's not pronounced 'Ha-penny', it's pronounced 'Hape-nee'. It's one of those weird English things, like Fotheringay.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Samovar posted:

But Ironicus, I must point out, it's not pronounced 'Ha-penny', it's pronounced 'Hape-nee'. It's one of those weird English things, like Fotheringay.

Please don't insult Ironicus' dad like that, it's 2016 man that's not cool

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Samovar posted:

Worchestershire sauce, pronounced woos-ter-sher

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
Just found this thread. This game is very pretty.

chiasaur11 posted:

But we've already established that the real treasure is Jesus, Bruceski.

How else did you think the pirates got their 「Stands」?
The real treasure was our immortal grease-grandpa the entire time.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Was that the first time Nate ever climbed a normal, modern ladder? Some of the many crumbling towers he's climbed have had ladders, but that was just scaffolding.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!
I'm just waiting for this whole finding Paradise-with-a-capital-P thing to come back to bite Nate in the rear end when the inevitable spooky supernatural stuff starts up. Like turns out Avery found out the secret to immortality or something and Nate and crew have to fight off his crew of undead pirates, a la Pirates of the Caribbean

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

ousire posted:

I'm just waiting for this whole finding Paradise-with-a-capital-P thing to come back to bite Nate in the rear end when the inevitable spooky supernatural stuff starts up. Like turns out Avery found out the secret to immortality or something and Nate and crew have to fight off his crew of undead pirates, a la Pirates of the Caribbean

Paradise is heaven, the treasure is an elaborate suicide machine

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Bruceski posted:

Worchestershire sauce, pronounced woos-ter-sher

My dad went to grad school in Boston, and always makes the lame observation that if they call Worcester Wooster why don't they call Dorchester dooster?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ousire posted:

Avery built a pirate ship large enough to destroy the earth

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

ousire posted:

Avery became immortal and is actually Alcázar, but it's been so long that he can't remember where he put his magical mojo treasure, and that's why he wants Sam to go get it for him. :eng101:

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
The twist is that Avery found Jesus and the treasure is in the Vatican. Final setpiece is a gunfight between Swiss Guard, South American Drug Lord, Rafe and Drake.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Fish Noise posted:

Obviously, the floor collapse is an unintended result of the place being old as gently caress and falling apart, whereas the real function of taking the cross is to display an alternate map to a fake location.

It also displays the message "Put the cross back for the next guy btw" except with more piratey phrasing.

Also nobody showed up to Avery's clubhouse in Madagascar, while the fake location turned into pirate thunderdome.

If everyone who comes leaves with a penny, and one penny is enough to shift the scales, is there someone nearby who is regularly going back to fill the scales with new pennies? Do they have to solve the puzzles each time or is there a back door?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

DatonKallandor posted:

The twist is that Avery found Jesus and the treasure is in the Vatican. Final setpiece is a gunfight between Swiss Guard The Pope, South American Drug Lord, Rafe and Drake.

FTFY

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

chiefnewo posted:

If everyone who comes leaves with a penny, and one penny is enough to shift the scales, is there someone nearby who is regularly going back to fill the scales with new pennies? Do they have to solve the puzzles each time or is there a back door?
Time weighted average mechanism where the scale re-zeros to the coins left in the days following the recruits departure.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

chiefnewo posted:

Some of the initiates come in with loose change in their pockets, and you know how one coin's not much use so they just leave it for the next man. It's one of those Take-A-Pirate-Volcano-Token, Leave-A-Pirate-Volcano-Token trays.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Really Pants posted:

Henry Avery was a crazy mechanical savant, even inventing power tools centuries before anyone else. The test machines at St. Dismas were built with his favorite air-powered hex wrench. "Arrr, it's drivin' me nuts!" as he always liked to say.

Jesus Christ. :golfclap:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Sully is Avery.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

chiefnewo posted:

Considering how many pirate corpses litter the place, I'd imagine the number of pirates who actually succeeded was pretty low compared to the number of takers. There probably is a back door though, otherwise the pirates would have to walk back through every trial and you'd need someone to sneak in and reset all the traps. Makes more sense for the traps to automatically reset themselves and the successful pirates exit out the back.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
The promise of Paradise killed more pirates than the legitimate navies of Europe ever could.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
Thinking back, was the first game the only one where we lost the really big treasure cause it turned out to be a scientifically magical artifact/substance too dangerous to let anyone have, but we still made a good profit cause one of our friends found a bunch of less important, but still valuable, treasure?

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

Zagglezig posted:

Thinking back, was the first game the only one where we lost the really big treasure cause it turned out to be a scientifically magical artifact/substance too dangerous to let anyone have, but we still made a good profit cause one of our friends found a bunch of less important, but still valuable, treasure?

In the second game Drake and Elena found love, the greatest treasure of them all.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
And in the third one drake found daddy issues!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Zagglezig posted:

Yes, the first one is the only one so far where Drake has walked away with any actual treasure (shiny trinkets aside). Not even the PS Vita one.

• Locked thread