Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
So happy to see the pieces in the Times that give equal weight to a trans person's right to exist and a bigot's discomfort at the thought of trans folk existing.

https://thinkprogress.org/new-york-times-shulevitz-transgender-80686781b4c3#.2xn82eplu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

UN Calls for Worldwide Decriminalization of Homosexuality. :un:

I wonder if anything will happen from this.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
well it's the UN so..........................

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Yeah, I'm not exactly holding my breath about this.

On the other hand, at least they're trying. :kiddo:

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
By UN standards even saying some nice words about LGBT rights is a good step.

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010
It's a symbolic thing so I wouldn't expect anything tangible from it, but symbols can be important too. Even if this is another example of the UN ineffectually calling for Generic Nice Thing to happen, I'd say the increasing recognition of LGBT rights as a Generic Nice Thing on the international level is still a sign of progress.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

2spooky4me posted:

I wouldn't call being removed from the bench a slap on the wrist.

What would you have preferred?

That he be broken upon a wheel and his shattered limbs threaded through the spokes. He should then be raised on a hugh pole where he can spend hours, or even days, writhing in total agony while crows peck at his eyes and flesh until he dies of shock.

That or like a harsh statement about how he is a total douche.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
http://www.thenewcivilrightsmovemen...rriage_benefits

quote:

Nearly one-third of Texas state lawmakers, along with candidates for the state legislature, pastors, and other anti-LGBT activists are saying the Supreme Court's 2015 Obergefell decision does not give legally-married same-sex couples who are government employees the right to the spousal benefits their different-sex peers have, or even the right to live together.

50 Republican state lawmakers and others have signed an amicus brief making those assertions, along with others, including the claim that the Obergefell decision would compromise the state sovereignty of Texas if it were used to require the Lone Star State to spend any taxpayer funds, especially on spousal benefits for same-sex couples.

At The Texas Observer, John Wright explains the brief "was submitted Friday in a lawsuit brought by anti-LGBT activists against the city of Houston in response to then-Mayor Annise Parker’s decision to extend benefits to the same-sex spouses of city employees in 2013."

Wright notes the Texas Supreme Court had refused to hear the case, but "Jonathan Saenz, president of the anti-LGBT group Texas Values, and former Harris County GOP chair Jared Woodfill, have petitioned the nine-member court for a rehearing."

Also signing the brief is Rep. Cecil Bell, an anti-LGBT extremist.

The brief essentially argues that even the U.S. Supreme Court does not have the constitutional right to direct any state to treat same-sex couples the same way it treats different-sex couples.

It claims "nothing" in the Obergefell ruling "compelled the taxpayers of Texas to pay for a vast array of benefits for same-sex spouses."

Note that the signatories of the amicus brief have no qualms about the taxpayers of Texas paying for a "vast array of benefits" for different-sex spouses.

"Indeed, it would unnecessarily implicate constitutional issues of state sovereignty if Obergefell were misconstrued as imposing spending requirements on the state of Texas to fund expensive health care and other benefits without authorization by Texas law," they claim.

The lawmakers and others who signed the brief call on the justices "to diminish federal tyranny and reestablish Texas Sovereignty," by denying these same-sex couples spousal benefits.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

poo poo like that is part of why I'm not in any rush to ever move back to Texas and I'm not even gay.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
So it's just more people admitting that they have no idea how laws and the supreme court work?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Schubalts posted:

So it's just more people admitting that they have no idea how laws and the supreme court work?

basically. They're also wasting taxpayer money while dragging this out in courts and are going to end up paying penalties to people they've discriminated against as a result. This is a giant waste of money only done to cater to bigoted white texans.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

This is the SCOTUS version of Fishmeching, like deliberately misinterpreting some writing just because they left out some information and therefor you have an opportunity to quibble over some dumb technicality.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Oct 18, 2016

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

MaxxBot posted:

This is the SCOTUS version of Fishmeching, like deliberately misinterpreting some writing just because they left out some information and therefor you have an opportunity to quibble over some dumb technicality.

It's SCOTEX, in this case. "Quibbling" over "dumb" "technicalities" is a lot of the practice of law. As such, what's going on in TX is a legitimate, established technique used by everyone, no matter where they fall on the authoritarian/libertarian or right/left axes of the political compass.

This gets noticed more when it's an issue that people are passionate about.

(anti) Death penalty work involves a lot of not only quibbling over technicalities, but quibbling over technicalities that were decisively decided decades ago in the hope that maybe sometime in the future a court might decide differently. A lot of government answer briefs are polite ways to say, "WTF? You lost this issue in 19-frikkin-79, no court anywhere since then has ever ruled even slightly in your favor, and the court you're in front of now ruled against you on the same exact issue 5 months ago, for the 23rd time." You do it because you've got to, to give your client their best chance.

What these anti-rights advocates in Texas are trying to do is to limit Obergefell strictly to the facts of the case. To do so, they have asserted that the broader Constitutional (Equal Protection) implications of the case do not logically follow. (Or just called for them to be ignored, because whargarble) I don't think Obergefell gives the anti rights nuts the latitude to limit it to its facts, but I'm not a SCOTEX judge. (but they already decided not to hear the case once before)

A different set of anti-rights advocates are trying (and generally succeeding) to limit Heller and McDonald to their facts by the same techniques. The constitutional issues are less implication here, but there's more whargarble to make up for it. Granted, there was a little more 'laboratories of democracy' latitude in these decisions, but not as much as the anti rights nuts are running with. (But I'm not a SCOTUS judge)

It's frustrating, but it means the system is working - sometimes for better, sometimes for worse.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Are they betting on a Trump win and a conservative Supreme Court nomination?

It could easily go either way. From "of course we meant it covered everything" to "we left that out on purpose".

Isn't the reason they limited the opinion the way they did precisely so they wouldn't be making a sweeping change and they want additional cases through the courts to hash it out?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

joat mon posted:

It's SCOTEX, in this case. "Quibbling" over "dumb" "technicalities" is a lot of the practice of law. As such, what's going on in TX is a legitimate, established technique used by everyone, no matter where they fall on the authoritarian/libertarian or right/left axes of the political compass.

I don't think anyone is complaining about lawyers making the best arguments they can formulate on their clients' behalf no matter how hopeless the case as long as it keeps the gravy train coming.

The complaint is that Texas politicians are willing to waste taxpayer money on such a hopeless case for such a despicable cause in the first place.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Some good news, same sex marriage is now legal in the British Antarctic territory! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Same-sex_marriage_in_the_British_Antarctic_Territory

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

freeze the gays

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
According to Argentina, that's been the case since 2010.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Best wishes Mr and Mr Penguin.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

Best wishes Mr and Mr Penguin.

thank

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Same sex marriage legislation passed unanimously in Gibraltar, hasn't come into effect yet but with no political opposition it shouldn't take too long.

http://www.gaystarnews.com/article/gibraltar-passes-sex-marriage-unanimous-support/#gs.X=qvhjo

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Baka-nin posted:

Same sex marriage legislation passed unanimously in Gibraltar, hasn't come into effect yet but with no political opposition it shouldn't take too long.

http://www.gaystarnews.com/article/gibraltar-passes-sex-marriage-unanimous-support/#gs.X=qvhjo

It's real stupid of me, but all that comes to mind hearing this (Past the obvious initial "Good!") is Overwatch jokes :v:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Schubalts posted:

Reminder that the reason why Texas seceded from Mexico was because American ranchers wanted slaves and Mexico outlawed slavery in the late 1820s. So Texas has pretty much always been like this.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
x-post from USPOL:

Supreme Court to Rule in Transgender Access Case

quote:

WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court on Friday entered the intense national debate over transgender rights, announcing that it would decide whether a transgender boy may use the boys’ bathroom in a Virginia high school.

The legal question in the case is whether the Obama administration was entitled to interpret a regulation under Title IX, a 1972 law that bans discrimination “on the basis of sex” in schools that receive federal money, as banning discrimination based on gender identity.

Last year, the federal Department of Education said schools “generally must treat transgender students consistent with their gender identity.” In May, the department issued a more general directive that said schools may lose federal money if they discriminate against transgender students.

The case before the Supreme Court concerns Gavin Grimm, who was designated female at birth but identifies as a male. He attends Gloucester High School in southeastern Virginia.

For a time, school administrators allowed Mr. Grimm to use the boys’ bathroom, but the local school board later adopted a policy that required students to use the bathrooms and locker rooms for their “corresponding biological genders.” The board added that “students with gender identity issues” would be allowed to use private bathrooms.

Keep in mind, the lower district court ruled in favor of the Trans student, so if the Supreme Court goes 4-4, it'll affirm to the Lower Court's decision, which was in the trans student's favor.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Kind of wonder if the Supreme Court will over reach on that one just a teensy bit and possibly open the door for persons who are transgender being a protected class possibly.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Hollismason posted:

Kind of wonder if the Supreme Court will over reach on that one just a teensy bit and possibly open the door for persons who are transgender being a protected class possibly.

I do think that there's groundwork for a decision like that with PricewaterHouse v. Hopkins and the more recent EEOC decision in Macy v. Holder, so they could easily say that PricewaterHouse's "sex stereotypes" applies to transgender people.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Hollismason posted:

If the Supremes rule for the kid they will necessarily be making gender identification a protected class, but only where Title IX applies.
It would be overreaching to come out and rule that gender identification is a protected class under the Civil rights act. (However, I'll bet the inevitable application of this ruling to the CRA will be mentioned in dicta by the majority and bemoaned by the dissent)

Vindicator
Jul 23, 2007

joat mon posted:

If the Supremes rule for the kid they will necessarily be making gender identification a protected class, but only where Title IX applies.
It would be overreaching to come out and rule that gender identification is a protected class under the Civil rights act. (However, I'll bet the inevitable application of this ruling to the CRA will be mentioned in dicta by the majority and bemoaned by the dissent)

They're not technically ruling that gender identification is a protected class, as far as the legal arguments I've seen go they're actually arguing that sex discrimination is taking place when trans people are being discriminated against (as in, people are discriminating against their appearance/behaviour on the basis of their biological sex characteristics, not their expressed gender identity).

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

They can only do so because congress created the protected class of "sex."

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

They're pretty deferential to policy statements from agencies interpreting their own rules. They had a 9-0 ruling last year flipping a federal circuit rule along similar lines. It wasn't a sexual identity case, but they flipped federal circuit rules on their head and set up a massive amount of deference to an agency issuing an interpretation. Despite the subject matter of the case, the letter in question by all rights appears to be a valid interpretation of the regulations. I think this comes down in favor of GG.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
The court also consider context in some cases , it's like saying we created this law because such and such happened. The court cam be all " Yea that's not good enough".

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Hollismason posted:

The court also consider context in some cases , it's like saying we created this law because such and such happened. The court cam be all " Yea that's not good enough".

The thing is, there's no law created here. The letter itself doesn't have any force of action. It's merely an interpretive document. The court just last year changed years of federal circuit preference and unequivocally stated agencies are to be given vast deference unless an interpretive doc is “is plainly erroneous or inconsistent with the regulation.” The letter that the DoJ/DoE jointly issued is a valid interpretation of the governing regulation of Title IX that doesn't create any new rule.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Oct 31, 2016

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Australia's non-binding plebiscite on marriage equality has been voted down by their senate.

This is good, because it was never anything more than the equivalent of their conservatives hoping to distract the pro-marriage movement, like jangling their keys in front of a baby. Public opinion favors marriage equality, but ultra-conservatives in government continue to stall by any means available.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
But now the bigots can't push to have antivillification legislation suspended so that they can go full hate speech against gay people :ohdear:

Our poor Attorney-General George "why can't I call them niggers?" Brandis must be turning in his loving grave at this historic injustice. Treating anyone who's not a straight, white, rich man with anything other than contempt and grinding them into the dirt goes against everything the LNP believes in.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Nov 7, 2016

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Reminder that homophobia is alive and well -- even among "progressives"! :toot:

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Another win for the EEOC's view that the Civil Rights Act of 1964 protects LGBT people.

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSL1N1D901I

Looks like this is going to be settled by the courts before our hopelessly gridlocked congress.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

And Pseudoscience promotion is common on both the Right and Left :smith:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Apropos of nothing, your avatars keep getting better :allears:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Ok kiddos. Shits hitting the fan. There's going to be a lot of shock and despair but we're going to need all hands on deck to roll up our sleeves and fight. :clint:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
Welp. Goodbye Obergefell. Goodbye Lawrence. Like I needed a reason to never go back to Texas at this point.

• Locked thread