Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Mandragora posted:

Yeah. Like Wanderer and FM said above, Hillary is focusing heavily on "invisible" campaigning rather than physical media, and she learned a lot of that from Obama's team (several members of which have joined hers). Many younger Hillary supporters don't see the point of bumper stickers or yard signs, and many more across all age ranges don't want to risk provoking vandalism from frothing Trump supporters (and Bernie supporters for awhile during the primary). I worked in a pretty rural, red area of Maine toward the end of 2015 and there was a lot of "I don't see any Hillary signs out there so no one supports her, and if I did I'd go tear them down" rhetoric from cranky old Trumpers.

FMguru posted:

There's an old bit of political folk wisdom which states "Lawn signs don't vote."

Everything we've seen about Hillary's 2016 campaign shows that it is data-driven and results-focused. I suspect there's a conscious effort to not bother handing out yard signs and bumper stickers and direct that effort into contacting and canvassing voters and reaching people through other forms of media with a better ROI.

Wanderer posted:

I'd have to imagine it's because Hillary's a Democrat who's focusing on the youth vote. These dudes are looking for yard signs and ignoring social media, which is doubly hilarious when you see Mitchell posting on Twitter.

He probably assumes Hillary's supporters' Twitter presence is all down to one overworked intern sitting in front of two dozen laptops.

I feel like y'all are attributing geography to some 12th dimensional chess thing. Like, there's shitloads of hillary yard signs in my neighborhood. I'd say probably 70% of the houses in my neighborhood that are occupied by their owners have hillary yard signs, and there isn't a single trump sign anywhere.

tacodaemon posted:

Thing about Scott Adams is that, as others have mentioned, he has had these kooky socio-political views for a long time and has been trying forever to establish himself as some kind of out-of-the-box intellectual genius (see e.g. his weird religio-philosophical navelgazing scifi book God's Debris from 2001, which he initially self-published online because his publisher didn't want to touch it), but he also had enough sense to keep that stuff out of the Dilbert comic strip itself. He's made no secret of the fact that Dilbert was always primarily a moneymaking operation to make himself rich, and he didn't want to do anything that would jeopardize the annual sales of page-a-day calendars and that sort of thing that he still makes tall dollars off of. But in the past couple of years he's been putting so much of his Out-Of-The-Box Genius™ bullshit out there on the Internet that it is increasingly threatening to swamp the public image of Inoffensive Workplace Satire Cartoonist Scott Adams that is his main meal ticket.

He may have also just decided that he's got enough money to coast, even if his schtick does cost him his dogbert plushie cash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

fishmech posted:

That's a goddamn lie.

Prove it.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

The best part about Scott Adams is that a little while ago Dilbert did a month or so of guest written and drawn strips that was much better than it usually is.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I'm cleaning out our basement and found a ton of old Dilbert books I thought were funny in high school. Gonna go ahead and throw those out.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009
Haven't seen this posted yet, but at this point I'm convinced Melania's just a pro level troll. Between this and rickrolling the entire RNC, it's just too good not to be true.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/10/melania-trump-social-media-donald-229915

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah Melania is smart and knows how awful her husband is, she just accepts it because it's the price she's willing to pay for a comfortable life.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Goatman Sacks posted:

I'm cleaning out our basement and found a ton of old Dilbert books I thought were funny in high school. Gonna go ahead and throw those out.

They're still funny. Scott Adams is just a piece of poo poo.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

The draft didn't stop the Vietnam War ya doofus, why expect it to stop any war? Hell it didn't stop Iraq!

Chilichimp posted:

Took less than 20% of the population to start and fight the revolutionary war. Just sayin'.

But it took a whole lot of wealthy and powerful people financing and backing it, and it took foreign assistance to keep it going and have them win.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Chilichimp posted:

They're still funny. Scott Adams is just a piece of poo poo.

I know it comes up a lot, but it's really hard for me to look back on books / media I've enjoyed when I find out the author is a terrible human being. Ender's Game was probably my favorite book growing up, then I found out Orson Scott Card thinks homosexuality is a social experiment gone wrong.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

fishmech posted:

But it took a whole lot of wealthy and powerful people financing and backing it, and it took foreign assistance to keep it going and have them win.

I don't see how that's outside the scope of the current situation either, man. Several rich elites back Trump, who is himself a rich elite, and Russian lawmakers are already making hilarious overtones about nuclear war over Clinton being president.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

seiferguy posted:

I know it comes up a lot, but it's really hard for me to look back on books / media I've enjoyed when I find out the author is a terrible human being. Ender's Game was probably my favorite book growing up, then I found out Orson Scott Card thinks homosexuality is a social experiment gone wrong.

enders game is the perfect book for nerdy young boys

who wouldn't identify with a protagonist who is so incredibly smart at war that he gets whisked away to a space station to play laser tag in zero g

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

fishmech posted:

The draft didn't stop the Vietnam War ya doofus, why expect it to stop any war? Hell it didn't stop Iraq!

Let's compare responses by the American population to such conflicts.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Crowsbeak posted:

why do you love trump so much

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Chilichimp posted:

I don't see how that's outside the scope of the current situation either, man. Several rich elites back Trump, who is himself a rich elite, and Russian lawmakers are already making hilarious overtones about nuclear war over Clinton being president.

Wasn't the Russian lawmaker Zhirinovsky, who's basically the Russian Pat Buchanan?

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

seiferguy posted:

I still love Ender's Game (and Speaker for the Dead) enough that its made me single handedly subscribe to Death of the Author theories.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Crowsbeak posted:

Uh what's to compare? Both were massively unpopular by their end, in fact the Iraq War got more unpopular much faster! The Vietnam War lasted 21 years, Iraq lasted about 9 years.

And that's leaving aside the fact that calling it "universal service" is laughable because it's only "universal" service for the poor. Your rich boys like George W get to gently caress around on national guard bases and only risk death from their own stupidity.

Chilichimp posted:

If you don't see that you need a remedial history course. Because it was the majority of colonial elites who were in favor of the revolution or at least neutral enough on it to not fight against it. Including large majorities of the political system in many of the individual colonies.

There's nothing similar with Trumpists.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

fishmech posted:

Uh what's to compare? Both were massively unpopular by their end, in fact the Iraq War got more unpopular much faster! The Vietnam War lasted 21 years, Iraq lasted about 9 years.

vietnam only lasted 19 years if you're counting from the very first official military advisors helping the french instead of what everyone else regards as the beginning of the war, the tonkin incident

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

fishmech posted:

And that's leaving aside the fact that calling it "universal service" is laughable because it's only "universal" service for the poor. Your rich boys like George W get to gently caress around on national guard bases and only risk death from their own stupidity.

If you don't see that you need a remedial history course. Because it was the majority of colonial elites who were in favor of the revolution or at least neutral enough on it to not fight against it. Including large majorities of the political system in many of the individual colonies.

I don't seriously believe any kind of civil war will A.) be attempted and B.) would succeed even if it did.

But I also recognize that this is a funny joke and drawing conspiracy theory conservative bullshit to show the likelihood of a revolution is both cool and good.

Also, I mean, we weren't engaged in hot-war in Vietnam for 21 years. The part of the war where we had actual ground forces waging hot war with the North Vietnamese was more like 8-9 years. Prior to that we were sending like aid to the French, deploying advisors and special forces, air support, etc.

We were engaged in -that- sort hot/cold conflict with Iraq for more like 21ish years if you include Desert Storm and all of our efforts in the region between then and the Iraq war. After the fall of the Soviets, we basically turned out Cold War machine on the Middle East. gently caress you, Paulie Wolfowitz.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Oct 18, 2016

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 217 days!

seiferguy posted:

Eh, I love Dune something fierce, but the way Herbert uses homosexuality to depict the Harkonnens as debased and vile is rather disgusting. Glad he dropped that after the first book.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Hodgepodge posted:

Eh, I love Dune something fierce, but the way Herbert uses homosexuality to depict the Harkonnens as debased and vile is rather disgusting. Glad he dropped that after the first book.

He went on to have some pretty iffy ideas about sex and gender roles anyway.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Hodgepodge posted:

and then he got brain herpes and started writing about superpowered sex nuns so yeah.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

and then he got brain herpes and started writing about superpowered sex nuns so yeah.

He did that in the first one too. They just got more desperate later in the series.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

fishmech posted:

The goal would be to turn the national guard into the reserves for soldiers after service in the regular army. For three years. So no goofing off in the Garuda also no college deferment.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

CommieGIR posted:

He did that in the first one too. They just got more desperate later in the series.

Desperate Super-Powered Sex Nuns?

Oh, would look at that, I'm turgid.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Crowsbeak posted:

The goal would be to turn the national guard into the reserves for soldiers after service in the regular army. For three years. So no goofing off in the Garuda also no college deferment.

Ok, so something that a) we've never had so you're not "bringing back" "universal service" as you said and b) would do nothing to prevent wars. And c) is a loving terrible idea that makes no sense. We already have a reserve system for active duty troops, have had it for what, 60 years at least? Why make it so you can't be in the national guard without already serving at war, when the primary duty of national guard members is to assist in disasters and such?

This also does nothing to prevent a George W Bush the 3rd from getting a cushy assignment in the states for his term of duty while some poor dude from the Bronx has to go fight the actual war. And then there's how mass drafting of random people doesn't really work with modern military roles, so you're basically just trying to bring back the meatgrinder system.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Trumpies can't get James O'Keefe's latest round of misleading edited videos with phony claims of voter fraud or his org veritas to trend...

...So just like their idol, they're claiming twitter is 'rigged.'

There's just so much comedy to be had this election.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

this poo poo pisses me off.

Limbaugh isn't falling for anything, he's always grabbed anything with even a semblance of supporting his point and running with it. He will never issue a correction and all this 'joke' did was further cement voter fraud in the dittoheads minds. And Drudge isn't much better. So good job 'comedians'.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

CommieGIR posted:

I was talking about the Honored Matres.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

lol "post orifice"

that's where all my posts come from

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

fishmech posted:

Ok, so something that a) we've never had so you're not "bringing back" "universal service" as you said and b) would do nothing to prevent wars. And c) is a loving terrible idea that makes no sense. We already have a reserve system for active duty troops, have had it for what, 60 years at least? Why make it so you can't be in the national guard without already serving at war, when the primary duty of national guard members is to assist in disasters and such?

This also does nothing to prevent a George W Bush the 3rd from getting a cushy assignment in the states for his term of duty while some poor dude from the Bronx has to go fight the actual war. And then there's how mass drafting of random people doesn't really work with modern military roles, so you're basically just trying to bring back the meatgrinder system.

Whats wrong with the meat grinder system> Besides that it makes war costly? Also why are you against people having to serve?

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Oct 18, 2016

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Crowsbeak posted:

Whats wrong with the meat grinder system> Besides that it makes war costly?

A meat grinder system that killed tens of thousands of hapless draftees and demoralized a whole nation worked really well in 'Nam

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Feldegast42 posted:

A meat grinder system that killed tens of thousands of hapless draftees and demoralized a whole nation worked really well in 'Nam

Hmm, caused us to be against going into wars in far off places that have no treaty requirement for why we should get involved if it meant our children were going to get drafted. Hey that accomplishes half of my reason for it.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

this poo poo pisses me off.

Limbaugh isn't falling for anything, he's always grabbed anything with even a semblance of supporting his point and running with it. He will never issue a correction and all this 'joke' did was further cement voter fraud in the dittoheads minds. And Drudge isn't much better. So good job 'comedians'.

It's not like they deliberately set out to fool anyone with dripping and blatant sarcasm that only a moron would think was real.

Not their fault that Rush knows his audience.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Crowsbeak posted:

Whats wrong with the meat grinder system> Besides that it makes war costly? Also why are you against people having to serve?

Because you're just having more people killed for no reason. It doesn't make war any costlier for the rich and privileged, so it has no effect on shortening wars.

Because forcing people to "serve" in the military or anything else is completely bullshit? There's no advantage to it. People should be going to college or trade school or something and learning what they want to learn, rather than being trained to kill or to clean public toilets really good.

Crowsbeak posted:

Hmm, caused us to be against going into wars in far off places that have no treaty requirement for why we should get involved if it meant our children were going to get drafted. Hey that accomplishes half of my reason for it.

No, it did not cause that. There simply wasn't any good targets that happened to crop up between the end of Vietnam and now, which were large enough scale to require an actual draft, because the wars we have fought - and there have been many - worked with just volunteers. The draft's still on the books, bro, it never went away.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

fishmech posted:

Because you're just having more people killed for no reason. It doesn't make war any costlier for the rich and privileged, so it has no effect on shortening wars.

Because forcing people to "serve" in the military or anything else is completely bullshit? There's no advantage to it. People should be going to college or trade school or something and learning what they want to learn, rather than being trained to kill or to clean public toilets really good.

No, it did not cause that. There simply wasn't any good targets that happened to crop up between the end of Vietnam and now, which were large enough scale to require an actual draft, because the wars we have fought - and there have been many - worked with just volunteers. The draft's still on the books, bro, it never went away.

Yet we had it in place between Korea and 1964. Its almost like the reason we got rid of it was because policymakers didn't like the bad feelings it created.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
So I guess all the RWM pundits know the writing's on the wall and we're now down to "gently caress the media", Rush and Hannity especially. It's so loving disingenuous it makes me ill. I don't see this whole "in the tank for Hillary/picking on Donald" thing at all. All the poo poo they complain about not being covered is being covered plenty. I know all about Benghazi, servers, Wikileaks, Bill Clinton, etc. so I'm not sure how they can make this ridiculous claim but here we are again.

It's very frustrating to repeatedly hear the party of personal responsibility continuously parade excuses and scapegoats for their failures and even more frustrating that people are gonna buy it. I found myself very sad today pondering the bullshit I'm gonna have to listen to for the next 8 years and watching our media capitulate to these whiny crybabies and move the Overton Window even further right.

Who's "picking on Trump?" The motherfucker has gotten so much free press over the last year he should be thanking them. I don't see "bias" when "dumb orange spoiled petulant millionaire says a thing" and "the media" reports thing he said. I'm glad Hillary is going to win this thing but I'm very concerned about what roughly 45% of my country's reaction to it is going to be.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Spacedad posted:

Trumpies can't get James O'Keefe's latest round of misleading edited videos with phony claims of voter fraud or his org veritas to trend...

...So just like their idol, they're claiming twitter is 'rigged.'

There's just so much comedy to be had this election.

I actually saw the video on YouTube trending and all the comments were about how Clinton "owns" google and YouTube so it wouldn't be trending. This whole everything is rigged bullshit is really sad and pathetic. White conservatives really hate being marginalized.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

fishmech posted:

, rather than being trained to kill or to clean public toilets really good.

Actually going by anecdotal experience knowing how to do basic janitorial work would be an enormous boon for a lot of people I know, and probably most goons.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Crowsbeak posted:

Yet we had it in place between Korea and 1964. Its almost like the reason we got rid of it was because policymakers didn't like the bad feelings it created.

No we did not have universal service in the military or anything from the Korean War to 1964. There was a very small amount of conscription during the time period between the Korean Armistice and 1964 when things started really picking up in the Vietnam War, and it was exceedingly easy to avoid those if you were a college student, if you got married, if you were in wide variety of different fields.

And even if you want to call a few thousand people a year being inducted "universal service", which would be insane, that clearly didn't prevent the Vietnam War from happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

BiggerBoat posted:

So I guess all the RWM pundits know the writing's on the wall and we're now down to "gently caress the media", Rush and Hannity especially. It's so loving disingenuous it makes me ill. I don't see this whole "in the tank for Hillary/picking on Donald" thing at all. All the poo poo they complain about not being covered is being covered plenty. I know all about Benghazi, servers, Wikileaks, Bill Clinton, etc. so I'm not sure how they can make this ridiculous claim but here we are again.

It's very frustrating to repeatedly hear the party of personal responsibility continuously parade excuses and scapegoats for their failures and even more frustrating that people are gonna buy it. I found myself very sad today pondering the bullshit I'm gonna have to listen to for the next 8 years and watching our media capitulate to these whiny crybabies and move the Overton Window even further right.

Who's "picking on Trump?" The motherfucker has gotten so much free press over the last year he should be thanking them. I don't see "bias" when "dumb orange spoiled petulant millionaire says a thing" and "the media" reports thing he said. I'm glad Hillary is going to win this thing but I'm very concerned about what roughly 45% of my country's reaction to it is going to be.

The entirety of it is that they're covering things that make the right look bad and that's bias.

Because "Trump said a thing" apparently isn't news. You know, Donald Trump, actual loving presidential candidate should apparently not be scrutinized at all to find out if he's right for the job or not.

They claim the media is "picking on Trump" because they constantly put up new sound or video clips of Trump making a fool of himself. Then they blame the media for Trump's blatant incompetence.