Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Death by Chickens
Jan 12, 2012

cerious posted:

If anyone successfully held off on buying this game until now:

https://www.greenmangaming.com/games/sid-meiers-civilization-vi-deluxe-edition/

Green man gaming has it for 20% off, including the deluxe edition. It doesn't show up on the website but in my cart it shows up as $63.99. I was going to buy it with $80 steam bucks but now I can spend those on the winter sale discounts instead and save more money than having to eventually add more steam wallet funds.

I think people generally know about the site's legitimacy but in case there are any doubts, I've bought steam keys for preorders for them back since 2013, and they always worked.

e; they're actually licensed by Firaxis, they show up on the "where to buy" right by Amazon on the official website.

THIS!

I was about to preorder the game on the steam. Now I've paid $4 more to get 4 DLC packs. Sounds like a bargain to me, even one DLC with a new civ would be worth it for the extra cash.

Thanks dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Death by Chickens posted:

THIS!

I was about to preorder the game on the steam. Now I've paid $4 more to get 4 DLC packs. Sounds like a bargain to me, even one DLC with a new civ would be worth it for the extra cash.

Thanks dude.

yea I also wish they were more clear what the 'DLC Packs' will be but now I've just paid four bucks for four of them so yea even if it's just a civ I think one dollar per is a pretty fuckin good deal!

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, thanks to GamersGate I got the Deluxe Edition for the price of the regular (cheaper if I manage to spend my leftover coins), so even if their description was misleading as to the quantity of items it was a good enough deal.

(I'd have bought them anyway admittedly.)

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
So, who's everyone gonna play first? I'm waffling between France and Congo personally

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

We know what the presumable first post-release stuff will be based on that board- Poland led by Jadwiga and Isabella for Spain. I wouldn't be surprised if a new civ, a new leader, and some kind of scenario is a dlc pack.
Poland was also prominently featured in the launch trailer.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Tatum Girlparts posted:

So, who's everyone gonna play first?

:911:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Ein Sexmonster posted:

We know what the presumable first post-release stuff will be based on that board- Poland led by Jadwiga and Isabella for Spain. I wouldn't be surprised if a new civ, a new leader, and some kind of scenario is a dlc pack.

yea if I had to guess I'd say it'll be a civ, a leader for the already existing civs, and a map with some scenario that I will never play. Either that or it'll be 3 civs and then a fourth 'alternate leader pack' or something

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Tatum Girlparts posted:

So, who's everyone gonna play first? I'm waffling between France and Congo personally

I can't decide. Maybe Arabia or India and try pushing religion.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Arabia. They have so much stuff I love; great science, decent culture thanks to the religious buildings, and a guaranteed religion. The last one isn't necessarily important to my preferred strategies (though that may change thanks to there now being a religious victory), but I always like getting a religion and missing out on that part of the game isn't fun. They're pretty close to what my ideal civ would be, really; only thing that might beat them is something with a more pronounced tech/culture bonus instead of tech/religion.

Ein Sexmonster posted:

It was pointed out that every part of that trailer had to do with flight or flying, relating to the song, "Sogno Di Volare", or "A Dream of Flight". Some a bit more loosely than others admittedly, like Poland's Winged Hussars.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Oct 18, 2016

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea Arabia is on my list too. It's really perfect that the game is almost designed around letting you be the 'youngest' religion while still able to spread and empower the faith.

Actually yea, I may go Arabia just to try for a Religious victory, forgot that was a thing now. What is it, just get everyone with your religion as the majority faith?

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Roland Jones posted:

Arabia. They have so much stuff I love; great science, decent culture thanks to the religious buildings, and a guaranteed religion. The last one isn't necessarily important to my preferred strategies (though that may change thanks to there now being a religious victory), but I always like getting a religion and missing out on that part of the game isn't fun. They're pretty close to what my ideal civ would be, really; only thing that might beat them is something with a more pronounced tech/culture bonus instead of tech/religion.

Same. Seems like the best Civ to see most of the game mechanics and try several different things on your first run, without having to play a certain way in order to better utilize their bonuses.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I was probably just going to hit random but I saw the China video for the first time today and I am super intrigued by them.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

IcePhoenix posted:

I was probably just going to hit random but I saw the China video for the first time today and I am super intrigued by them.

Oh yeah, China is fascinating, if nothing else. The Great Wall is the most interesting of the unique improvements, even if it might not be the "best" (or maybe it is, I don't know), the eureka bonus is big, the better workers are fantastic, and the early wonder-boosting is super-useful. They seem very good, and are definitely one of if not the most unique civs mechanically.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I'm gonna play as Gorgo and punch Pericles' nerd face in.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I think turning The Great Wall into a unique improvement that evolves from being a genuine defense to a tourist attraction as the world progresses is easily one of the most clever shakeups in the game.

Honestly all the civs are really well made it seems. My only 'bad' one is England and that's really just because I hate being so tied to one specific thing like the naval game. At least the vikings get badass berzerkers and a church and all for if they can't poo poo out longboats.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I think turning The Great Wall into a unique improvement that evolves from being a genuine defense to a tourist attraction as the world progresses is easily one of the most clever shakeups in the game.

Honestly all the civs are really well made it seems. My only 'bad' one is England and that's really just because I hate being so tied to one specific thing like the naval game. At least the vikings get badass berzerkers and a church and all for if they can't poo poo out longboats.

It also requires the sacrifice of many, many workers to create and maintain. So, very true to history.

England is amusing to me for the reasons people talked about before, how their museum bonuses mean they're encouraged to go around the world pillaging other people's culture for their own benefit and whatnot. It amused me.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Roland Jones posted:

Oh yeah, China is fascinating, if nothing else. The Great Wall is the most interesting of the unique improvements, even if it might not be the "best" (or maybe it is, I don't know), the eureka bonus is big, the better workers are fantastic, and the early wonder-boosting is super-useful. They seem very good, and are definitely one of if not the most unique civs mechanically.

I wonder about the Eureka bonus, because in the video their bonus was half of a tech/civic, but that's what every civ was getting in the press release. The press release came out two months after the China video though so it could have been a bug or it could have been changed. I kind of hope it was bugged though because getting half of a research seemed like it was way too much (and was probably why so many streamers were able to fly ahead in tech so fast).

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Oct 18, 2016

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'm probably gonna go with Aztecs or Sumeria. The Aztecs are kind of my go-to civ and I really like Monty's ability set this time around. On the other hand, I really dig Sumeria thematically, and I want to blanket my countryside in ziggurats.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

IcePhoenix posted:

I wonder about the Eureka bonus, because in the video their bonus was half of a tech/civic, but that's what every civ was getting in the press release. The press release came out two months after the China video though so it could have been a bug or it could have been changed. I kind of hope it was bugged though because getting half of a research seemed like it was way too much (and was probably why so many streamers were able to fly ahead in tech so fast).

A Chinese site I found with rather up-to-date examples of everything claims that most civs do indeed get a 50% reduction in required science to research when they Eureka; China gets 60%.

Whether this is what it is when it goes live, I can't say.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

England's thing is colonialism. Travel to exotic, far-off lands and conquer the natives and steal their treasured relics.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Aztecs, to flex my preorder bonus, then maybe Arabia.

Aztecs actually look pretty cool though, rather than having a lot of direct combat boosts, they've made combat feed into infrastructure and that infrastructure feed back into combat. It looks like a cool way enable you play the military game without sacrificing your internal development.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The thing I'm most excited about is building districts as efficiently as possible, does any particular Civ focus more on that aspect of the game than the others?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Cythereal posted:

England's thing is colonialism. Travel to exotic, far-off lands and conquer the natives and steal their treasured relics.

oh it absolutely makes sense, I just don't much like it as a personal thing. Yea even the civ I like the least still is a perfectly fitting and neat idea, just not my style.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Aztecs, to flex my preorder bonus, then maybe Arabia.

Aztecs actually look pretty cool though, rather than having a lot of direct combat boosts, they've made combat feed into infrastructure and that infrastructure feed back into combat. It looks like a cool way enable you play the military game without sacrificing your internal development.

Yea Aztecs are a really cool civ this go around. They managed to keep the whole 'rawr, war' thing but also expanded on what made them interesting with stuff like the luxury resources counting for extra cities and all. They're less zerg in jaguar skins now and more a genuinely kinda scary expansionist empire.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

The thing I'm most excited about is building districts as efficiently as possible, does any particular Civ focus more on that aspect of the game than the others?
Free Imperial Cities (Germany): Can build one more District than the population limit would normally allow.
Meiji Restoration (Japan): All districts receive an additional standard adjacency bonus for being adjacent to another district.
Amazon (Brazil): Rainforest tiles provide +1 adjacency bonus for Campus, Commercial Hub, Holy Site, and Theater Square districts. Rainforest tiles provide +1 Housing for Neighborhoods built adjacent to them.

Germany and Brazil have unique districts too, which cost less and don't count towards the normal limit.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jay Rust posted:

A few civs have extra district bonuses, but that's it I think. Brazil gets bonuses from rainforests, Egypt can build on floodplains, Germany can build one more district than their population cap would normally allow (and has a unique district that doesn't count against the cap), Japan's districts get bonuses for adjacency to other districts, etc. Some unique civ buildings/improvements also matter here, like Germany's Hansa having different adjacency bonuses from a normal Industrial Zone or Arabia's Madrasa giving its Campuses Faith in addition to Science from adjacency bonuses.

Nothing quite fits what it sounds like you want, but I'd say go with Germany maybe, since they can build more districts than most.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

Japan builds some districts quicker and each district gets additional bonuses for being built next to another district. Germany can build one more district in each city than what would normally be possible and they also have a unique district, which I believe isn't counted in the number of districts you can build in each city. Egypt builds districts more quickly if they're next to river, and is able to build them in more places.

Take your pick.

efb

Here's an addition though:

Greece has an unique district as well (which doesn't count toward the district cap) which gets extra adjacency bonuses but has to built on a hill

Jump King fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Oct 18, 2016

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I think every civ has a unique district that replaces one of the normal ones, doesn't count towards the district limit, and takes less production to build than the one it's replacing, no?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Tatum Girlparts posted:

England isn't bad. It might be my first one.

Possibly underrated things about England: Royal Naval Dockyard lets you spam harbors, even in lovely far away colonies, which means even crap distant cities with poor production can significantly contribute to your income. But more importantly, each one gives you +1 trade route.

You see a one tile tundra island with a fish next to it? Might as well slap a settler there and crank out a dockyard. It'll give you a decent trickle of gold, but more importantly the extra trade route can be used to buff your core even more. Just watch out for Argentina if they get added to the game.

Also remember: "Other continents" can mean the other half of your starting continent. It might still be a bit situational, but if you make sure to settle to the edge of another continent, or even straddle continents in the early game, you'll be in a good position to wipe out a neighbor once you get redcoats. Or if you're fine with your neighbors, maybe there's a city state near the coast somewhere with a resource or luxury or resource you want. Redcoats will be perfect for taking it, dockyards will let it boost your whole empire, and surely there will be some exotic ruins nearby for your museums. This is just as useful a move on pangea as it is on continents.

I don't care if they're not the most min-max powerful civ, they honestly seem like one of the most interesting and fun civs to play, just based on the crazy stuff they're encouraged to do.

Jay Rust posted:

People have already said, but Japan and Germany are definitely the ones you want to look at.

Japan gets some cheap districts (faith, culture, and military districts specifically) and bigger bonuses for packing all your districts together.

Germany gets an extra district of its choice in addition to a unique industrial district (which doesn't count against the pop cap so effectively two extra districts), and their unique district has an adjacency bonus if you put it next to a commercial district, so their adjacency optimization game is more interesting with bigger potential payouts than some others.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

IcePhoenix posted:

I think every civ has a unique district that replaces one of the normal ones, doesn't count towards the district limit, and takes less production to build than the one it's replacing, no?
Nah. Every civ has a unique infrastructure, but that can be a building, improvement or district.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

IcePhoenix posted:

Some just have a unique building or improvement actually.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
No. Every civ has some sort of unique piece of infrastructure, but it's not always a district. Some have unique buildings or unique tile improvements instead.

Edit: Wow, beaten hard.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I saw four new posts and figured that I was being told I was wrong in various ways :v:

That definitely is something to consider, though. Bit of an advantage for civs that can essentially have a free district.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Roland Jones posted:

Edit: Wow, beaten hard.

I'm glad you me and Sexmonster will respond to any civ question within a few minutes

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

That definitely is something to consider, though. Bit of an advantage for civs that can essentially have a free district.
It really is. The specific bonuses of a district aren't nearly as important as the fact that just being a unique district means you can spam that district for free (or at least for cheap, in addition to any districts you would have built anyway, and without bloating your district cost). And not all unique districts are remotely as useful, so it's a huge bonus for the few civs that have really useful ones.

Specifically, Germany and Russia get really useful districts (industrial and holy site respectively), Greece gets a great one in a cultural district with the limit that it can only be built on hills.

England (harbor) and Brazil (entertainment district) get more situational districts that are still useful because they don't count against your cap. You probably wouldn't have especially wanted to spam them before, but now that you can they're definitely useful.

Rome (aqueduct) and Kongo (neighborhood) get districts that didn't count against your cap in their generic form, so the only generic bonus is that they're cheaper. That said, Kongo's early neighborhood radically changes what the civ is capable of, letting you go real tall real early, and is probably one of the best unique districts.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I thought the Arab bonus was a unique campus

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I am playing all the Civs in alphabetical order. Or maybe reverse alphabetical order, depending on how I feel later this week

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

It's a unique university.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Kassad posted:

It's a unique university.

Ah always mix those up.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Tatum Girlparts posted:

It's a unique university that basically gives your campus holy site levels of adjacency faith.

A unique campus would be insanely good. Even if it's unique trait was that it was a slightly lovely campus, it would give its civ an absurd snowballing science advantage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I've been avoiding info on this game until today. Having just read about all the civs, definitely going Aztec first :getin:

Also I learned that stepwells are a thing and also cool as gently caress.