Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Oh poo poo, didn't know Jackbox Party Pack 3 was coming out today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Lemon-Lime posted:

City and onwards' open world doesn't add anything to the game and mucks up the pacing with a bunch of samey travelling between mission locations (granted the travelling is fun initially, but it gets boring fast).

It took me a few tries to get into City for this exact reason. I'm generally not a fan of open world stuff and I think City does a really bad job at guiding you to the actual story missions. I remember feeling totally overwhelmed by the amount of side stuff the game wanted me to to do.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Arkham Asylum was an incredible video game. They took things in totally the wrong direction for City though. Having an open world added nothing to the experience for me as compared to the tight, guided rollercoaster of Arkham.

I've still got Arkham Knight sitting in my ps4 games pile until uncharted 4 is finished. My body is almost ready.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lemon-Lime posted:

:same:

City and onwards' open world doesn't add anything to the game and mucks up the pacing with a bunch of samey travelling between mission locations (granted the travelling is fun initially, but it gets boring fast).

City's open world at the end of the game sucks, if only because there are snipers on every rooftop and horizontal surface.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It is kind of stupid that there have been 3 open world Batman games and they've each had some story reason for there being no civilians.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

univbee posted:

Oh poo poo, didn't know Jackbox Party Pack 3 was coming out today.
There were some ads here and there but since the others did so well I guess they didn't feel a need to make a big push. The word will get around fast

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I wasn't going to pick up Prinny: Can I really be the Hero until you made me look at it and realize it was 2 dollars. Let's go baby.

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

For Blood, Comic Mischief, Mature Humor, Nudity, Strong Language, Suggestive Themes, Use of Alcohol, and Intense Violence.

Online Interactions Not Rated.
RDR2 next fall.

http://www.rockstargames.com/reddeadredemption2/

PS4 and XB1 logos at the bottom of the page. I wonder if it'll be on Windows, too.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Lemon-Lime posted:

:same:

Arkham City does at least deliver the "Batman" experience with its open world--swooping off rooftops, gliding into dudes, zipping down to snatch people up and picking them off one by one, all that. I can absolutely see why they tried to make the game they did and I think overall it's a big success.

Arkham Knight isn't a bad game by any means, I think they managed to make the Batmobile feel really fun to use and they utilize it in an absurdly varied amount of ways. It's just a tool box that's sort of overflowing, and most of the tools you've used before. It has some great new DC characters who show up, though.

I mean, none of them are bad games, but Arkham City basically nailed it on the backswing and Origins and Knight are more expansion packs than full games of their own. I think all of them have stretched what technology currently can do in terms of making a Batman open world, and I would really like to see a return to a closed-in, detailed environment like Asylum again. Maybe a different vibe--I'd love for a game to take Batman OUT of Gotham, maybe do the Damian Wayne origin story where Batman has to go fight assassins in some magic version of China.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

MisterAlex posted:

RDR2 next fall.

http://www.rockstargames.com/reddeadredemption2/

PS4 and XB1 logos at the bottom of the page. I wonder if it'll be on Windows, too.

Probably but the PC version won't get announced until after the console versions are released.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
rockstar knows people will double dip on that poo poo so why not release the pc version later

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

There's a new Square Enix sale (mostly the Eidos stuff) and a Bethesda sale on the NA store. Which new Tomb Raider is the one everybody liked?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spoderman posted:

There's a new Square Enix sale (mostly the Eidos stuff) and a Bethesda sale on the NA store. Which new Tomb Raider is the one everybody liked?

It's just titled Tomb Raider.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

both new tomb raiders are good

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Super No Vacancy posted:

both new tomb raiders are good

all the tomb raiders were good

ok thats a bare faced lie, but 1 was great at the time when 3d third person adventures were novel but jesus anyone who calls the newest tomb raiders bad games wasn't around in 2003 when Angel of Darkness was a hting

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Spoderman posted:

I always find it hilarious when it called "Square Enix" sale and nothing from Square or Enix are actually on sale, but Eidos who they bought instead. Sale good, but wish the new Hitman was in it, as I want it to get a sale already.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

I see they just released Mordheim for PS4, I wonder if the port is any good? It looked like a pretty drat cool strategy game on PC

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Rirse posted:

I always find it hilarious when it called "Square Enix" sale and nothing from Square or Enix are actually on sale, but Eidos who they bought instead. Sale good, but wish the new Hitman was in it, as I want it to get a sale already.

It wont be on a real discount for the whole package until after the disc is out

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Ramagamma posted:

all the tomb raiders were good

this is indeed a barefaced lie. Angel of Darkness, like you said.... Jesus Christ

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

:lol: PS2 classics are now $20, starting with Destroy All Humans.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Quantum of Phallus posted:

this is indeed a barefaced lie. Angel of Darkness, like you said.... Jesus Christ

Starting in 2006 they were all good.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Saoshyant posted:

lol Who the gently caress is gonna pay $20 for that?

Man I liked Sony a lot better when they had some competition.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
It's funny to me that they put up the ability to preorder RDR2 before even releasing a trailer. That's the world we live in though.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

lol Who the gently caress is gonna pay $20 for that?

Man I liked Sony a lot better when they had some competition.

To be fair, I doubt Sony are the one that determined the price for that.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

R* could Sega Saturn RDR2 and it would still go positive.

Saoshyant posted:

I still want the PSOne classics on the PS4 :sigh:

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

destroy all humans is marked as a psn game and doesnt appear under the ps2 games category.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

CrashCat posted:

I see they just released Mordheim for PS4, I wonder if the port is any good? It looked like a pretty drat cool strategy game on PC

PC reviews are all over the place, but the people who seems to dislike it (or so it appears, face value) appear to be people who love the tabletop game. Having not played the tabletop, it looks cool.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

strategery posted:

PC reviews are all over the place, but the people who seems to dislike it (or so it appears, face value) appear to be people who love the tabletop game. Having not played the tabletop, it looks cool.
Yeah, I have no idea about any of GW's physical games but the gameplay I saw looks interesting and I enjoyed watching a stream of it. It looks like a good blend of strategy with some pretty graphics

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Super No Vacancy posted:

destroy all humans is marked as a psn game and doesnt appear under the ps2 games category.

Yeah I think it might be a remaster or proper port, which to be fair, I can understand the higher price point in that case.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

glam rock hamhock posted:

It's funny to me that they put up the ability to preorder RDR2 before even releasing a trailer. That's the world we live in though.

Despite how dumb it is to preorder videogames i can only assume lots of people still do for this to be a thing.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I was willing to preorder it before I even knew it was real

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I've never understood why people preorder AAA games, the ones that are guaranteed to have plenty of copies out there.

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

For Blood, Comic Mischief, Mature Humor, Nudity, Strong Language, Suggestive Themes, Use of Alcohol, and Intense Violence.

From a consumerist standpoint, pre-ordering is about the worst thing a game buyer can do.

I usually just wait a week or two and get someone's used copy for $40 or so.
Even as someone with with both GCU and Prime, the only time I buy at regular price (20% off $60) is if there's some really neat launch edition pack-in that I genuinely want to have. And that doesn't happen often.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I'm going to buy Dishonored 2 on release day, and I'm going digital more and more often. Why wouldn't I preorder to preload it?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

PRELOAD :ocelot:

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

Bogart posted:

I'm going to buy Dishonored 2 on release day, and I'm going digital more and more often. Why wouldn't I preorder to preload it?

Ah, well... if you're licensing it (digital library) rather than buying it (physical ownership), then go ahead.
There's no real benefit that I can think of to not pre-ordering if you're already set on getting the game that way. Then again, buying sight-unseen could also open yourself up to a potential No Man's Sky situation, and getting refunds on digital orders can be tricky.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

The only reason I preorder any game is to support my local game store instead of Gamestop or Amazon.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I'm a weirdo who likes physical still so I basically get every game I preorder on sale when I order from amazon with prime. Saves me a lot of money in the long run. :shobon:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I'm leaning more towards discs with how lousy PSN speeds are. Been downloading Battlefield 1 most of the day when a game of the same size on Steam is fully installed in 15 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

The only reason I preorder any game is to support my local game store instead of Gamestop or Amazon.

Why do you need to preorder to do this? Just walk in there day-of and pick up the game. Do stores still sell out of video games on release day?

• Locked thread