Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

snograt posted:

Yeah, drifting doesn't work in kiddy mode. Can't even do that "easy" bucket list challenge in the parking lot.

Once I've finished doing all the fun stuff, I'll pick a nice driftmobile, drop the abs and traction control and try to ease myself into it. Who knows, I might even enjoy it :D

The fun stuff is way more fun with assists off though. Makes you feel like you're actually doing something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Good news is I finally got my credits from the auction back.

Bad news: still no silvia.

I still haven't unlocked the goliath track. But I like the blueprint.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
:newt: Begun, this funny blueprint name war, has.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

MattD1zzl3 posted:

My xbox is just sitting on. Sorry i ignored your invites. If you shoot me a message ahead of time when to be around ill try harder next time.

I get my 6 daily hours of political talk in in podcast form during work, so im ready to argue and get probated in DnD race online in the evenings.

Nuts and Gum posted:

That was a good time! We need to get a few more GRRC peeps in one instance so we can take over some lobbies!
Wanna group up and Co-op some later tonight?

Post your availability and who wants to run the thing. I'll forego my political news for this, the last night of my "weekend" in order to race with (not against) Goons.

Also, concentration on XP, racing, not drifting because I still suck at it if you don't mind.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
im online get online

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

god drat this crashy loving game

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Atmus and I have plans to do some Goliath and stuff in a bit. I was in a group with MD but I can't hear him so we can't communicate.

If you're gonna be available, look for Captain Howdy 0. We'll do Co-op for fun and XP.

I have to do some laundry and crap like that, but if anyone wants to goof around online I'll be off and on for the next few hours.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Oct 18, 2016

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Unlocked Goliath tonight, did the exhibition race. Then saw the goon-made blueprints and went start one until I realized it was 5 laps :stare: Maybe this weekend...

And finally won a loving horizon edition car, the Ford Focus. Then had double luck and got a jag XKR GT.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Had a 6 point lead going into the final race of a 3 race championship.

Load into the race, realize there are two cars both racing for the same drivatar.

Win race, dual drivatars finishing 2nd and 3rd.

Lose championship because both finishes added to the drivatar's point total.

I am so mad and I can't stop laughing.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Pleads posted:

Had a 6 point lead going into the final race of a 3 race championship.

Load into the race, realize there are two cars both racing for the same drivatar.

Win race, dual drivatars finishing 2nd and 3rd.

Lose championship because both finishes added to the drivatar's point total.

I am so mad and I can't stop laughing.
Yes, Atmus reported the same thing happening with my drivatar (but I think he won) and I also posted w0lrah showing up the same way (I also re-wound and won), but it wasn't Goliath:

a mysterious cloak posted:

Unlocked Goliath tonight, did the exhibition race. Then saw the goon-made blueprints and went start one until I realized it was 5 laps :stare: Maybe this weekend...

And finally won a loving horizon edition car, the Ford Focus. Then had double luck and got a jag XKR GT.
Atmus (MacClay), Nuts and Gum (HolodeckGlitch), GutBomb303, and I (Captain Howdy 0) tried to just do three laps of Goliath tonight and various game issues meant we did not come close to finishing. I dunno, maybe someone finished, but I didn't.

We still had a really fun time together. I can try to race some before I have to go to bed for work today but after that I'm pretty much out until next Saturday. I mean I have to do menial poo poo like folding clothes and stuff.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
How's this Forzathon Drag Race at the Car Meet work? I showed up in a Track Toy like the game wanted, but it immediately made me switch to an S2 Lambo and I couldn't see how to start a drag race with random people?

Anyone wanna get this done tonight?

gt: robocratic add this fool

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

a mysterious cloak posted:

Was it The Sun Never Sets with the British cars? That's the one I made that netted me nearly two dozen levels. I was scared as poo poo the game would crash during the race.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

robotsinmyhead posted:

How's this Forzathon Drag Race at the Car Meet work? I showed up in a Track Toy like the game wanted, but it immediately made me switch to an S2 Lambo and I couldn't see how to start a drag race with random people?

Anyone wanna get this done tonight?

gt: robocratic add this fool

brobots hit x when it prompts you and it should let you drive what you want.

Caterham modded to 900 S1 usually wins pretty handily.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

sellouts posted:

brobots hit x when it prompts you and it should let you drive what you want.

Caterham modded to 900 S1 usually wins pretty handily.

Yeah you have to wait around until the join race pops up. Don't bother coming in anything other than a 900 Caterham, because someone else will be in a 900 Caterham and loving smoke you. No matter what class car you bring.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Sigourney Cheevos posted:

Yeah you have to wait around until the join race pops up. Don't bother coming in anything other than a 900 Caterham, because someone else will be in a 900 Caterham and loving smoke you. No matter what class car you bring.
I did it this morning at like 5am. I tried three times and on the third attempt it was just me and another guy in the same stock Ultima. I beat him by a tiny fraction of a second but have no idea if it actually counted towards Forzathon, though. I'll build a Caterham because the thought of doing anything else in that Ultima frightens me. I used TCS for the drag race.

Then I did a three lap Goliath race that took me WAY TOO LONG to finish but I think I went up about 14 levels. I'm kinda tired of that race, now. Gonna move on to head-to-head and street races for awhile, whenever I have time to play. The final Trump/Clinton debate is tomorrow night and it's gonna be moderated by Chris Wallace from FOX so it's gonna be ugly. I have popcorn.

VV Never heard you at all, Dizz. Didn't see your mic icon, either. VV

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Oct 18, 2016

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Still having mic issues. I was able to gear you guys clearly yesterday but youd suddenly cut out and back in. I gather you didnt hear me at all

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I've been adding random people in the club in the hopes of playing with goons, who should I add to actually crash into goons over and over for fun

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
They need to have a 'online freeroam/whatever with club members' thing that would try to group you up or something, atm clubs seem kinda moot.

Tighran
Jun 28, 2004

Keket posted:

They need to have a 'online freeroam/whatever with club members' thing that would try to group you up or something, atm clubs seem kinda moot.

In my dreams, it would work a lot like Test Drive Unlimited, but I know that will never happen. And the club leaderboards are cool. I doubt I'll ever make platinum but I got fairly high up in gold tier last week.

Doorknob Slobber posted:

I've been adding random people in the club in the hopes of playing with goons, who should I add to actually crash into goons over and over for fun

I've got a bunch of the old-timers from back to Forza 2 and 3 already added, but I'm down for cruising or racing together. I'm by no means an expert so as long as you're not a dick I would be happy to race together, some bumps and taps are to be expected. Feel free to add me (same as my username here) and I'll try to figure out how to access the dashboard/friend management poo poo on the PC.

I can't drift for my life though, so if you're just trying to do drift zones over and over I'll probably grow tired and leave before long (sorry Pinny, was cool to watch you for a while though!).

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
This game is super awesome and I'm blown away with how much fun I'm having with it. No major performance issues on my PC, but there is a very apparent memory leak that shows up within a few hours of playing and especially after some time in the decal editor. Hoping that gets fixed soon, but man the amount of cars on offer and the sheer satisfaction of tinkering and driving them is great.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Yeah it's pretty drat good. It will be even better if the Jensen Interceptor really is coming.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Dr. Faustus posted:

Atmus (MacClay), Nuts and Gum (HolodeckGlitch), GutBomb303, and I (Captain Howdy 0) tried to just do three laps of Goliath tonight and various game issues meant we did not come close to finishing. I dunno, maybe someone finished, but I didn't.

I have to go to the doc's in the morning. My back is still sore from carrying my whole team to victory.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Is there a good guide/faq to upgrading and tuning in this game? Sometimes I do the auto upgrade and I get completely smoked in a race because I just have no pickup whatsoever.

One thing I really want to know is if +5HP from upgrading, say, the ignition is the same as +5HP from upgrading the exhaust. That seems to be the only thing that changes but I'm not sure.

Pinny
Sep 8, 2006

Tighran posted:

I can't drift for my life though, so if you're just trying to do drift zones over and over I'll probably grow tired and leave before long (sorry Pinny, was cool to watch you for a while though!).

I wouldn't mind doing some A class races/championships, but it doesn't look like you can put a PI limit on blueprints :(

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Pinny posted:

I wouldn't mind doing some A class races/championships, but it doesn't look like you can put a PI limit on blueprints :(

Good because PI is all screwed up and it's hard to hit good limits. My B600 build from Forza is A758 and my A700 build is S1 842

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Atmus posted:

I have to go to the doc's in the morning. My back is still sore from carrying my whole team to victory.

What a great race for my brakes to magically stop working! :negative:

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Nuts and Gum posted:

What a great race for my brakes to magically stop working! :negative:

You dropped out while I had half of a lap to go.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

JerikTelorian posted:

Is there a good guide/faq to upgrading and tuning in this game? Sometimes I do the auto upgrade and I get completely smoked in a race because I just have no pickup whatsoever.

One thing I really want to know is if +5HP from upgrading, say, the ignition is the same as +5HP from upgrading the exhaust. That seems to be the only thing that changes but I'm not sure.

Handling is king, don't auto-upgrade. Any improvements to top speed will be matched by the AI, so it's pretty much like turning up the CC in Mario Kart. Some upgrades will specifically affect the physics of the car, while some upgrades, like many of the engine upgrades, will simply add more power. Certain upgrades are more lightweight, which also affect the physics. If I were you, I'd upgrade the handling, but I'd keep the power at the relatively same level. You'll get a better feel for the car, and it won't give you that much of an advantage. If anything, upgrade the car to the threshold of its original class.

Of course, the upgrade system is made to gently caress around with. If you want to put a V12 into a 1940s car and turn it into a 4WD, you do that.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Atmus posted:

GutBomb got stuck on bridge geometry and I stopped racing to try to Safety Car him off, to no avail. :colbert:

And yeah, Nuts and Gum got hit with the 10% brake pressure glitch.

You, sir, are a big fat jerk and your voice is too deep. You sound like Brian Posehn with enlarged adenoids and that's how I picture you! Good day!

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Keket posted:

I think that's been intentionally left out because the Xbox platform as a whole is supposed to be getting major upgrades to the party system that were announced at E3 Real Soon Now (TM) so games won't need to implement as much themselves, but of course it hasn't happened yet.

Major Nelson has talked about it a few times on his podcast and it sounds like at least some of those features are out to Xbox Preview Program members.

In other news, this most recent patch apparently brought with it anti-cheat technology and the first swing of the banhammer must have been last night because the forums and /r/Forza are covered in people complaining about being banned today. One guy was actually streaming when it happened and doesn't seem to have been cheating so there may be legitimacy to complaints of false positives. Anyone here get hit?

Tighran
Jun 28, 2004

Pinny posted:

Online has no options for regulating the PI of cars eligible? That seems like a really stupid oversight. That being said, we could just agree to A class beforehand or something and ideally the game would select AI cars to match.

I'm fighting off the tail end of a cold so I'm not going to be up late tonight playing, and I've got drinking plans for tomorrow, but Thursday or Friday I'd be down to give it a try. Maybe I'll play around a bit with Custom Adventures and see wth they are as opposed to Free-Roam and if they'd be suitable for goon antics and racing.

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Had the AI doing super dodgy poo poo last night. Was playing co-op races (which finally started working after I allowed Forza to access the microphone from the windows privacy settings :psyduck:) and me and my friend were in 1st/2nd by a good margin when out of nowhere an AI car just popped onto the track in front of us. The other one was co-op racing again and I was smashing it out in first but when the race finished there was a car ahead of me so I came second.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty
Due to super lovely netcode (?), I was able to win the Drag Race against 9 other guys on my first try by 15+ seconds. Glad I spent 120k buying and upgrading that Caterham :ghost:

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Black Griffon posted:

Handling is king, don't auto-upgrade. Any improvements to top speed will be matched by the AI, so it's pretty much like turning up the CC in Mario Kart. Some upgrades will specifically affect the physics of the car, while some upgrades, like many of the engine upgrades, will simply add more power. Certain upgrades are more lightweight, which also affect the physics. If I were you, I'd upgrade the handling, but I'd keep the power at the relatively same level. You'll get a better feel for the car, and it won't give you that much of an advantage. If anything, upgrade the car to the threshold of its original class.

Of course, the upgrade system is made to gently caress around with. If you want to put a V12 into a 1940s car and turn it into a 4WD, you do that.

Thanks for the info. It looks like tires are pretty much the best way to affect handling? They seem to have a pretty aggressive effect on class.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty

JerikTelorian posted:

Thanks for the info. It looks like tires are pretty much the best way to affect handling? They seem to have a pretty aggressive effect on class.

A lot of times, the car's HP can easily overwhelm stock tires. Adding a ton of HP in a really lovely car will just creep the PI up in some cases because the games "knows" that that power is unusable. When you throw on proper tires, that PI will skyrocket.

The key to getting fast in Forza is figuring out where YOU PERSONALLY can drive a car fast right on the edge of the tire's grip.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

JerikTelorian posted:

The cheapest yet effective thing you can do is use a highly modified suspension and/or differential.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

As others have mentioned earlier though, the PI of tires seems to be pretty unbalanced. They're useful, sure, but oftentimes I'd rather spend the credits on something else.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I think I may have upgraded to Street Tires on one car. In terms of trying to add a little grip, I have widened them instead. Pretty much every car I've tuned is still on "stock rubber."

I am finding it can be a problem. While the AI cars corner on rails, I either brake too much and get left back, or go in and lose grip and drift the corner, getting left back. I've found that sticking to AWD, being very careful about weight transfer (basically trail-braking into corners to keep weight on the steering tires up front), and treating AI cars like guardrails (the old Gran Turismo 1 strategy.) That probably explains why my Drivatar is such a dick.

If there's a happy medium in there, I've yet to find it. That said, there are some cars that feel like great cheater cars to me, including my Subaru WRX STI, and my little FIAT Abarth 500.

*shrugs*

P.S. - This is in contrast to when I tune up for Motorsport. In that game I go heavy on grip PI, putting race tires on just about anything about B class which is silly, but I need cars to be as predictable as possible because I'm not a great driver. This hurts me in top speed. I've changed my habits very much for Horizon. I pretty much AWD-swapped everything in FH2, and I still do it a lot on FH3, although I do hang onto some RWD cars for tail-happy fun.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Oct 19, 2016

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Black Griffon posted:

Was it The Sun Never Sets with the British cars? That's the one I made that netted me nearly two dozen levels. I was scared as poo poo the game would crash during the race.

No, I forget whose blueprint it was, I know Pretty Panda has a 10 lapper set up though :stonklol:

Did a couple of Goliath laps and let my son do the spins for me. Won a HE Focus, couple hundred grand, and a McLaren 650. How the hell is he so lucky??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I beat a bunch of dudes in X999 class Ultimas using a caterham with a B class drag tune :haw:

• Locked thread