Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

vseslav.botkin posted:

When is the LAMESTREAM media going to start asking SERIOUS questions like what everybody's pet situation is right now? I assume Jill Stein owns an alpaca, but what about the rest of them?!

Have you ever had a president that hasnt had a pet dog? Seems like its almost mandatory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

eviltastic posted:

Realtalk, depending on your area, a house might not be that different from an apartment in terms of rental cost, and can be a lot better in terms of roommate dynamics. Or it might be hilariously expensive. I found it worth looking into.

yeah the monthly payment on a mortgage versus rent is pretty much a wash in a lot of areas, but with buying you have to provide a huge amount of money upfront, and most people can't do that.

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

At least in LA it's very common for landlords to refuse to rent houses to young people with roommates. They only want families.

that seems like a borderline FHA violation

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The only reason tomorrow worries me at all is just because I have no loving clue what's coming. Trump's been on a crazier-and-crazier spiral, has violated every rule of decorum and decency in presidential politics, and I'm pretty sure he'll gently caress up again tomorrow, just I have no idea what new way he'll find to smash his face into the floor.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Instant Sunrise posted:

yeah the monthly payment on a mortgage versus rent is pretty much a wash in a lot of areas, but with buying you have to provide a huge amount of money upfront, and most people can't do that.

Same problem as all our other good ideas - enforcement. The housing board in LA can't even keep up with all the for-rent ads literally specifying what race and religion you must be.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
We really should make people post centipede heads here.

Also wouldn't Fox News trying to tilt to much for Trump backfire like Matt Luaer tilting for Trump did?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Furnaceface posted:

Have you ever had a president that hasnt had a pet dog? Seems like its almost mandatory.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Same problem as all our other good ideas - enforcement. The housing board in LA can't even keep up with all the for-rent ads literally specifying what race and religion you must be.

It can get worse:

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/landlords-demands-for-sex-horrifying-dangerous-mayor-1.3093518

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Crowsbeak posted:

Also wouldn't Fox News trying to tilt to much for Trump backfire like Matt Luaer tilting for Trump did?

It'd be expected, to be fair.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Covok posted:

How do systems that don't have a two-party system manage elections for positions like President? How did they avoid creating a system that encourages there only be two parties?

They don't! Most multiple party systems will only have 2, maybe 3 viable parties for an elected position equivalent to a US president, and only 2 or 3 viable parties for the Prime Minister or equivalent.

For instance, Germany has a mostly ceremonial President and a Chancellor who leads the legislature and is generally considered to be in charge as a whole.
So among the Chancellors, absolutely all of them since the founding of the Federal Republic in 1949 have been of the Christian Democratic Union or the Social Democratic Party of Germany - except one Chancellor who served for 9 days in 1974 when the SPD chancellor resigned.
And among the presidents, while the current president is an independent, all the rest have either been CDU, SPD, or FDP (the party of the chancellor who served just 9 days). And the last FDP president served 1974-1979.

This is all despite there being 4 parties with seats in the Bundestag as of last election (and the session before that, there were 5 parties. The FDP lost all their seats in the latest election).

Similar patterns develop in a lot of multi-party countries. You get 2 or 3 major parties who get the high leadership positions, even though they have to work with small parties to form government from time to time.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
The fact that we're having arthropodchat in the USPOL thread 3 weeks out from Election Day must be the surest sign yet that Trump is beyond hosed.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

hey now, my city (anaheim), did manage to crack down on one thing. they banned airbnb.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Spiders are cool because they loving murder all the bad bugs. But spiders are also horrifying. :stonk:

I don't want to watch the debate tomorrow. I can already tell it's going to be a shitshow.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

god drat why are you people talking about bugs and posting big pictures of bugs

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

The 90's were weird.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

paperwind posted:

The fact that we're having arthropodchat in the USPOL thread 3 weeks out from Election Day must be the surest sign yet that Trump is beyond hosed.

That or we're all trying to distract ourselves from the fact that Trump's silent support is gigantic and the polls are flawed and his victory is pretty inevitable, with only the most die-hard of the die-hards refusing to acknowledge that modern polling is nothing compared to the proven reliable fact of Trump's huge rally turnout.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/JYSexton/status/788491726872772608

quote:

Just heard a rumor that Danney Williams, the man claiming to be Bill Clinton's illegitimate son, is being flown to Las Vegas for the debate.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Instant Sunrise posted:

If it wasn't for me having a rental in the house I bought, it might have went sideways quickly even though my mortgage was about equal to the rents in my city. Things get loving expensive as poo poo when they break. Even if I'm technically paying almost nothing on my mortgage(though I pay all electricity, and utilities). Fixing broken poo poo in a house is expensive as all loving hell.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

It's hard to pin down, which is why people don't notice when they're touring a place before purchasing. It's more like a seasick feeling, the horizon not staying steady. A tall building in high winds is designed to shift a few inches horizontally (this is much better than the alternative, breaking in half), so it's not as pronounced as an earthquake or the rumble of a train passing by. It's just an uneasy wrongness.

Welcome to Chicago! Come for the millions of flying spiders, stay for the sense of uneasy wrongness!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Crowsbeak posted:

I used to sleep with a glass of water next to my bed in case I was thirsty in the night. Then one day I woke up and discovered a house centipede had drowned in my glass.

Being thirsty isn't so bad.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Can we just drop all pretense and have Jerry Springer be the moderator?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

What the gently caress is even the point of these stunts? It's not a debate that involves the crowd, dipshit.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

paperwind posted:

yes but can we talk about how poor people shouldn't have credit cards and guns are good instead. please.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Lightning Knight posted:

Spiders are cool because they loving murder all the bad bugs. But spiders are also horrifying. :stonk:

I don't want to watch the debate tomorrow. I can already tell it's going to be a shitshow.

Could be worse.

Could be flying house centipedes.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Upon seeing that the last two debates his opponent defeated him by being a sane, reasonable, calm person in the face of insanity, Trump decides the best option is to throw as much of a screaming, ridiculous fit as possible for the third one.

Seems about right.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Instant Sunrise posted:

hey now, my city (anaheim), did manage to crack down on one thing. they banned airbnb.

I hadn't heard that, that's great!

God I'm trying to dig up this apartment listing I saw for a sublet here in LA. It was like ten pages long and had exacting specifications for how well-traveled you had to be, what kind of hobbies you had, and what your conversational style was. The person writing the ad wasn't even going to be living there

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

I think I liked it better when you were talking about organized political violence.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

God I'm trying to dig up this apartment listing I saw for a sublet here in LA. It was like ten pages long and had exacting specifications for how well-traveled you had to be, what kind of hobbies you had, and what your conversational style was. The person writing the ad wasn't even going to be living there

Seems like it could be pretty easily cut down to no darkies.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Dexo posted:

Seems like it could be pretty easily cut down to no darkies.

No no you see you have to have an appreciation for world cultures. If we hate darkies how come we own so many drums, huh?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

No no you see you have to have an appreciation for world cultures. If we hate darkies how come we own so many drums, huh?

Because they're white-skinned instruments.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

paperwind posted:

Can we just drop all pretense and have Jerry Springer be the moderator?

Jerry Springer is a big Hillary supporter and has been unrelenting in his attacks on how awful Trump is so sure.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

I mean yeah AirBNB is shady as hell so I'm all for seeing them get cut down, but it was basically because Disneyland and the hotels around it basically own this city.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

No Bassists allowed?

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/NatEnquirer/status/788457743866736640

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

FuturePastNow posted:

god drat why are you people talking about bugs and posting big pictures of bugs

Bugs have six legs.
Spiders have eight

Centipedes have a lot more.

Also I am for Springer as the moderator. He'd be more impartial then Wallace.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Instant Sunrise posted:

Yeah I meant renting a house, not buying one. Anybody in a spot where it's hard to save up a down payment probably needs to stay mobile, anyway.

At least federally, the FHA may not apply to a given house rental, since often it's going to be a single-family home rented directly by the landlord/owner.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Here's your hourly "lol Trump is so unbelievably hosed" tease

https://twitter.com/JohnJHarwood/status/788487697014796288

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Night10194 posted:

Upon seeing that the last two debates his opponent defeated him by being a sane, reasonable, calm person in the face of insanity, Trump decides the best option is to throw as much of a screaming, ridiculous fit as possible for the third one.

Seems about right.

Yep. They did a loving DNA test and there's 0 chance that Bill Clinton is his father.

I know it's a long shot, but how the gently caress did Trump get this close to the Presidency? I think he may, in fact, be mentally challenged.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

So he's bringing a person who has been scientifically disproven to be Bill Clinton's son there so he can point to him and claim he's Bill Clinton's son?

Ok, Trump.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Remember when Trump supporters unironically believed that a National Enquirer story about Ted Cruz having a ton of affairs was a smoking gun that would bury him in the primaries

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

PT6A posted:

Yep. They did a loving DNA test and there's 0 chance that Bill Clinton is his father.

I know it's a long shot, but how the gently caress did Trump get this close to the Presidency? I think he may, in fact, be mentally challenged.

Racists. No really, that's it.

• Locked thread