Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

CrashScreen posted:

All content is new content if you've not done it before, but they're fixing that anyway.
True, but a lot of the 2.1+ content is kind of bad (oh boy, more long cutscenes about Eorzian politics!), and there's a lot of cool stuff I could theoretically do right now, but it is artificially locked behind the questline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

You know what's kind of a weird thing. Something I'd describe as "Bad Good Tanks". They're obviously good at what they do and they're well geared for the content they're running, but they don't realise the party comp and cause wipes because of it.

Like a Pally I just had in Great Google Library Hard just now was easily 252/253 ilvl and he was skilled, but he tries the huge gauntlet pull just after boss 2 and it was clear from second one in the dungeon that a pull like that is off the table because while he's rocking 250+ gear, our healer had 14000HP and an i210 weapon. It doesn't matter how good you are as a tank if your Healer clearly doesn't have the horsepower to heal through that.

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer
Awareness?

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Squadron stuff - my squaddies who are all level 40-ish and up mostly have Titan weapons. Being that I'm in the best GC (maelstrom), I figured it's because their downtime was beating up resummoned Titan over and over. Do the other GC squaddies have differing primal weapons?

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

CrashScreen posted:

All content is new content if you've not done it before, but they're fixing that anyway. There'll be a way to skip the story and dive into Final Fantasy XIV Season 3. It is a lot to do the stuff you're seeing promoted everywhere.

:rolleyes: not all content is worth doing. I'm pretty sure 75% of the back and forth quests for AAR could have been stripped out while still moving the story along and removing my need to sniff weavol asses or whatever absurd nonsense Alphinaud wanted me to do as time filler.

Literally every time I delivered 5 flank stanks to guards, or whatever.

Or put succinctly: Anything that artificially keeps me away from the same expansion my friends are playing is bad. If WoW required you to get attuned for each prior expansions raids and run them a single time to pass on to the current expansion content there would be rioting in the streets, and rightfully so.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Oct 18, 2016

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

WhiteHowler posted:

I can't believe they kept the Heavensward content almost completely gated behind the 2.1+ main story.

And if they keep this up for Stormblood (gating behind all HW and 3.1+ quests), a new player is looking at 325+ quests and dozens of instance runs before they can even look at the new content.

If they're a new player all the content is new so it shouldn't matter.

EDIT: Beaten by a loving mile. Need to learn to refresh.

Gizmo Chicken
Feb 17, 2011

Yep.

SpaceDrake posted:

I'm more surprised people aren't talking about Zenos' other weapon. Should look familiar to people who have followed Final Fantasy side projects for long enough.

So what weapon were you talking about here? I still can't see it.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Rhymenoserous posted:

:rolleyes: not all content is worth doing.

A reasonable chunk of it is though. It just really seriously needs condensed so that's the only chunk.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

CrashScreen posted:

A reasonable chunk of it is though. It just really seriously needs condensed so that's the only chunk.

I'd say a good 75% of AAR was pointless fetching that could have easily condensed. And frankly if I'd have gotten the option to mash a "Play all cutscenes and skip this poo poo" button I'd have probably mashed it about a third of the way in.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Eight-Six posted:

Squadron stuff - my squaddies who are all level 40-ish and up mostly have Titan weapons. Being that I'm in the best GC (maelstrom), I figured it's because their downtime was beating up resummoned Titan over and over. Do the other GC squaddies have differing primal weapons?

I doubt it, honestly. Level 40 decks them out in ilvl80 equipment, either from Dungeons or Labyrinth of the Ancients. Crag weapons are ilvl 80.

It's kind of a shame that Lancers don't get the CT stuff, but instead their Divine set. My Lancer looks so boring compared to the guys in CT gear, or the uniques.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I have a level 50 Marauder and he's wearing that armour with the glow effect at the level. I don't think it's the Augmented Wolfram Cuirass, but I believe it's from that tier.

So I guess at level 50 all of your characters will be wearing ugly glowing tripe. His weapon is a Direwolf Battleaxe I think, based on some quick xivdb searching.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Just posting to confirm that yes, Wonderful Tales books carry out into the next week. Got my single line book turned in today and got this week's in return.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

chinese barbecue porp posted:

Just posting to confirm that yes, Wonderful Tales books carry out into the next week. Got my single line book turned in today and got this week's in return.
There's a trap here though - if you request a new book and hit yes on the prompt that says "Hand in your current book?", you toss that book in the garbage (even if it's completed!) and get nothing from it. You gotta hand it in first and then talk to her again and ask for a new book.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I have a level 50 Marauder and he's wearing that armour with the glow effect at the level. I don't think it's the Augmented Wolfram Cuirass, but I believe it's from that tier.

So I guess at level 50 all of your characters will be wearing ugly glowing tripe. His weapon is a Direwolf Battleaxe I think, based on some quick xivdb searching.

A lot of the armor isn't on the market board, but if you're dissatisfied with the level 50 look don't worry! You can unlock Glamours at 50 and look however you want. Wear a fake moustache and a speedo as you tank, go hog wild!

Also, just because you said Marauder, did you unlock Warrior?

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I think they learned their lesson with locking new jobs behind story progression, at least. Especially since the 30 - 50 quests just send you to old areas anyway. My secret wish is that one or two zones are available for people not far in the story yet, but from the early promo stuff it sounds like it's all Ala Mhigo from here.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

i am tim! posted:

A lot of the armor isn't on the market board, but if you're dissatisfied with the level 50 look don't worry! You can unlock Glamours at 50 and look however you want. Wear a fake moustache and a speedo as you tank, go hog wild!

Also, just because you said Marauder, did you unlock Warrior?
I'm pretty sure he's talking about squadron stuff

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I'm going to be on my fourth wonderous tales book and I have yet to complete a line

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

ilifinicus posted:

There's a trap here though - if you request a new book and hit yes on the prompt that says "Hand in your current book?", you toss that book in the garbage (even if it's completed!) and get nothing from it. You gotta hand it in first and then talk to her again and ask for a new book.

I did hand in the previous book and got the reward but I can understand that's a really easy mistake to do. Sometimes a simple yes/no prompt isn't enough to prevent accidentally screwing yourself over.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

homeless snail posted:

I'm pretty sure he's talking about squadron stuff

Yeah, I am. Trying to help is appreciated never the less though.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

chinese barbecue porp posted:

I did hand in the previous book and got the reward but I can understand that's a really easy mistake to do. Sometimes a simple yes/no prompt isn't enough to prevent accidentally screwing yourself over.
The language in the box just needs to specify that it actually destroys the book. I'm assuming it's either localized to be a smaller text box, so text was omitted from it, or that they simply didn't expect players to be that silly. I've heard about a staggering amount of people who have made this mistake, so it was worth mentioning

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

DNC conspiracy theory #73620:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

A bit more variety than "everybody has an ugly-rear end Titan weapon" would have been nice, but it's only for a while so it isn't really a big deal.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Mr. Nice! posted:

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/ranking/fc/weekly/?filter=1&worldname=Excalibur&gcid=

There's a 512 member cap per FC. We haven't had any inactive purges ever in TPT and they haven't happened in a while in the other FCs, but there are still hundreds of goons that are actively playing at any time. We have dozens of cross-FC linkshells. Even if you don't get in one of those, you can always ask in FC chat and word can be relayed quickly around all three. All three goon FCs are currently sitting at just under 500 members.

Who do I message to get invited to one of these cross-FC linkshells? I'm not in any active ones.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

CuddlyZombie posted:

Who do I message to get invited to one of these cross-FC linkshells? I'm not in any active ones.

Ask in FC chat if someone can invite you to Sunday Funday. I started it originally to be a Crystal Tower/Coil linkshell, but those have plenty of people running them these days so it's just a general use one now. There are people in all three FCs with invite privs.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Mr. Nice! posted:

Ask in FC chat if someone can invite you to Sunday Funday. I started it originally to be a Crystal Tower/Coil linkshell, but those have plenty of people running them these days so it's just a general use one now. There are people in all three FCs with invite privs.
Oh, can we shoot the poo poo with goons in there nowadays? Goonchat is best chat.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I'm a bit concerned because I placed my lore book order within minutes of them going up, but it's still listed as "pre-order". From what others have told me they haven't actually been shipped yet, so I guess it's no big deal, and if I have to wait for the next batch I'm cool with it as long as they don't ship me to the back of the wait list. Just wish there'd be a for-sure yes or no from support.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I mean I would like group making to be priority, but I don't care if people talk in it. I think its at 90 members so I might have to purge some people at some point but gently caress it go crazy.

I mean, don't literally go crazy, but if you wanna bullshit with someone go ahead idgaf.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/FF_XIV_EN/status/788444244935442432

Also, for anyone who went to fanfest / got the stream, where's the info on redeeming the Rikku minion? I'm not sure if it's in my swag bag or if I got it emailed to me.

DapperDuck
Apr 3, 2008

Fashionable people,
you're out of luck.
The most dapper one here,
is Dapper the Duck.

seiferguy posted:

- I'm glad Agrias didn't stab me in my sleep for that Kelly edit.
- Speaking of Kelly edits, I met up with someone that apparently runs a big FFXIV podcast and wants me on the show because he loves the edits. As an aside, I worked with goons to brainstorm a few good ideas for future ones. The PS3 one was a result of that.

Hi, I'm not the one you met with, but I also host the podcast you're talking about. If you want to be on the show, I can be your contact through forum PMs.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

seiferguy posted:

https://twitter.com/FF_XIV_EN/status/788444244935442432

Also, for anyone who went to fanfest / got the stream, where's the info on redeeming the Rikku minion? I'm not sure if it's in my swag bag or if I got it emailed to me.

I bought the stream and the item code was in my receipt email.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

seiferguy posted:

[Also, for anyone who went to fanfest / got the stream, where's the info on redeeming the Rikku minion? I'm not sure if it's in my swag bag or if I got it emailed to me.

it's in the swag bag, it'll be the thing that has the picture of tidus/yuna armor

Guw
Jan 10, 2013

I was able to get a character on Excalibur. Uhh what's the guild?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Office Surprise Store posted:

it's in the swag bag, it'll be the thing that has the picture of tidus/yuna armor

Sweet. I'm glad I didn't throw it away.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Guw posted:

There are three. TPT is in Mist Ward 8 and the other two, DGKK and... one I forget the acronym for... are in the Goblet somewhere.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Can you do Palace of the Dead if you don't have aetherial equipment? Do you just end up naked, or does it default to something?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Thundarr posted:

A bit more variety than "everybody has an ugly-rear end Titan weapon" would have been nice, but it's only for a while so it isn't really a big deal.

Gladiators get the Garuda sword!

...and the Titan shield.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Can you do Palace of the Dead if you don't have aetherial equipment? Do you just end up naked, or does it default to something?

You automatically get a weapon when you're in there, the rest of your gear has zero bearing during the duty so put on whatever you want for looks before you go in.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Your equipment literally doesn't matter. The only stat that matters is your weapon/armor rating that you level throughout random silver chests.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Guw posted:

Third Party Tools, Dragongod Knightking, and Please Be Careful.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I knockbacked a spriggan through a gate making it untargetable in the guildhest that makes you kill the spriggans before it lets you open the gate. The architect of my own demise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

To kind of elaborate on what the other goons said, you'll always appear in POTD wearing whatever you had equipped before you went in, it just won't affect anything stat-wise.

Edit: Should've refreshed. :argh:

• Locked thread