Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Lmao please do not defend the loving Rebel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

CLAM DOWN posted:

Lmao please do not defend the loving Rebel

On the other hand, if you're inclined to do so, be loud and proud about it. It serves as a warning to normal, sane people that you're a lovely garbage person with a broken brain, because the Rebel is trash and Ezra Levant is pathologically moronic.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
excuse me the rebel provides unique original news stories not covered anywhere else after the closing of sun tv, such as "why we should hate brown people more" and "taxes are literally the devil taken form and the census is the mark of the beast"

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Journalists have to stand up for Levant because they know if they start picking and choosing who the Good and Proper ones are then any politician can screw them right back with the same arguments.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
If not for Ezra Levant, who would warn us of the dangers the Gypsy Menace present to our children and womenfolk?

Fluffy Chainsaw
Jul 6, 2016

I'm likely a pissant middle manager who pisses off IT with worthless requests. There is no content within my posts other than a garbage act akin to a know-it-all, which likely is how I behave in real life. It's really hard for me to comprehend how much I am hated by everyone.

Lobok posted:

Journalists have to stand up for Levant because they know if they start picking and choosing who the Good and Proper ones are then any politician can screw them right back with the same arguments.

That's the point, isn't it? Letting those in power pick who can and can't cover a story isn't conducive to a healthy free press.

E - It's certainly why three Canadian associations of journalists have condemned the UN's decision. Quite sure they're not doing it because they think the Rebel does good work.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Fluffy Chainsaw posted:

That's the point, isn't it? Letting those in power pick who can and can't cover a story isn't conducive to a healthy free press.

E - It's certainly why three Canadian associations of journalists have condemned the UN's decision. Quite sure they're not doing it because they think the Rebel does good work.

Yeah, I just mean that if anyone posts some example of journalists standing up for him as some kind of proof of his ethics, standards, or moral fibre it's like no, they're not sticking up for the guy because they LIKE him.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
In principle it's bad that the UN is using an undefined and vague technicality to ban unfriendly journalists, but on the other hand any pretense of independent journalism actually holding powerful people to account became a mirage decades ago so it's hard to work up much enthusiasm for defending a noted shithead and corporate water carrier like Ezra "Ethical Oil" Levant. He's an active and vocal participant in the movement that did it's best to demolish anything resembling responsible journalism.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Lmao who will think of the poor journalists

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Keep your perfumed aristocratic paws off my maidens Justin! :mad:

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
The absolute irony of Levant begging Trudeau help him cover the UN is really delicious.

Fluffy Chainsaw
Jul 6, 2016

I'm likely a pissant middle manager who pisses off IT with worthless requests. There is no content within my posts other than a garbage act akin to a know-it-all, which likely is how I behave in real life. It's really hard for me to comprehend how much I am hated by everyone.

Lobok posted:

Yeah, I just mean that if anyone posts some example of journalists standing up for him as some kind of proof of his ethics, standards, or moral fibre it's like no, they're not sticking up for the guy because they LIKE him.

It would be weird if someone did that.

Helsing posted:

In principle it's bad that the UN is using an undefined and vague technicality to ban unfriendly journalists, but on the other hand any pretense of independent journalism actually holding powerful people to account became a mirage decades ago so it's hard to work up much enthusiasm for defending a noted shithead and corporate water carrier like Ezra "Ethical Oil" Levant. He's an active and vocal participant in the movement that did it's best to demolish anything resembling responsible journalism.

Is it better to allow that erosion to continue or fight against limiting the press?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Lobok posted:

How awful of them, instead of this I propose you can ask three questions, that are to be sent in advance. You will only get a couple per year to ask.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Fluffy Chainsaw posted:

Is it better to allow that erosion to continue or fight against limiting the press?

You might as well debate the merits of tossing a cup of water onto a forest fire. Most of the media serves very little function outside of being a weird fusion of oppo-research and PR agent, and almost all the powerful institutions and individuals that journalists are theoretically investigating or holding to account have more than enough access to polling, demographic data and alt-media sources to circumvent the traditional media or to play it like a fiddle. The media is a delivery service for whatever messages the peopel who matter want transmitted to us. There's some narrow scope for debate on a few issues where powerful people strongly disagree with each other, but even that is easy to overstate. The idea of an independent media adhering to some kind of ethical or professional standards, doing serious in-depth investigations, and serving a gate-keeper role in democratic functions seems like a grotesque joke.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Levant has stated on many occasions that he is a commentator, not a journalist. Now he says he is a journalist, and this will last exactly as long as is convenient for him.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Maybe Levant should take the UN to the human rights tribunal. :laugh:

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

THC posted:

Levant has stated on many occasions that he is a commentator, not a journalist. Now he says he is a journalist, and this will last exactly as long as is convenient for him.

he has testified that hes not a journalist

http://news.nationalpost.com/full-comment/christie-blatchford-unrepentant-ezra-levant-pleads-fair-comment-in-theatrical-testimony

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Maybe Levant should take the UN to the human rights tribunal. :laugh:

:same:

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
Quality journalism

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-vek4Sx8wM

Fluffy Chainsaw, do you want to die on this hill?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The protections aren't just for "quality journalism".

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

OSI bean dip posted:

Quality journalism

Yeah, I was lining up behind the defenders of journalism as well, but after actually watching some of Levant's work gently caress this. Might as well start handing out credentials to garden-variety Internet trolls too while we're at it.

Fluffy Chainsaw
Jul 6, 2016

OSI bean dip posted:

Quality journalism

All I've written is that it is dangerous when a government or organization is allowed to determine who can and cannot report on its activities.

You're welcome to quote any endorsement of Ezra that I've made.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

In no universe is it "dangerous" to decline journalistic credentials to that person and his organization

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

Fluffy Chainsaw posted:

All I've written is that it is dangerous when a government or organization is allowed to determine who can and cannot report on its activities.

First they came for the mediocre Glenn Beck rip offs , and I did not speak up because I was not a mediocre Glenn Beck rip off.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Why don't you go ask a tactical Canadian special forces superhero to accidentally dischargea gun on your face swagger/melian/pvalue

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Ontario's energy minister admits the bulk of nearly $12 million spent on the government's plan to offer financial help to low-income electricity customers went to consultants and advertising.

The Progressive Conservatives accuse the Liberals of badly mismanaging the Ontario Electricity Support Program because $11.7 million of the $11.9 million budget went to consultants, publications, media and advertising.

lol

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

THC posted:

Ontario's energy minister admits the bulk of nearly $12 million spent on the government's plan to offer financial help to low-income electricity customers went to consultants and advertising.

The Progressive Conservatives accuse the Liberals of badly mismanaging the Ontario Electricity Support Program because $11.7 million of the $11.9 million budget went to consultants, publications, media and advertising.

lol

That's not mismanaging at all. The plan from the get-go was to funnel money to those groups. It was managed perfectly!

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Your entry on this topic was literally the press release of the CAJ taking up his case to the UN, so it kind of appears that the free market found a solution to his problem.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Fluffy Chainsaw posted:

Actually it is about ethics in environmental journalism.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
The Ontario Electricity Support Program is basically peak Libbing.

You know what. The next time it's a toss up between the Liberals and the Conservatives I'm voting for the loving Cons.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

EvilJoven posted:

The Ontario Electricity Support Program is basically peak Libbing.

You know what. The next time it's a toss up between the Liberals and the Conservatives I'm voting for the loving Cons.

I can't do that, no way - the Liberals are definitely a shitshow, but they at least have better social policy in general, let alone whatever the gently caress Patrick Brown is doing.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Did this get posted yet? Melaine Joly is allegedly pushing for digital taxes to fund Canadian Media Content lol

http://business.financialpost.com/fp-comment/stop-the-federal-government-before-it-taxes-everything-on-the-internet

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I'm fine with higher taxes on nearly everything.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Yes, we need to fund more original Canadian Content to protect our rich and proud history and

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

DariusLikewise posted:

Yes, we need to fund more original Canadian Content to protect our rich and proud history and

This, but unironically. Should we have the fight about the Hip again?

Aagar
Mar 30, 2006

E/N Gestapo
I am talking to a mod right now about getting you probated/banned/gassed
If the Rebel gets in to report on the conference, they should have the decency to let The Onion in as well. At least their fabricated, bullshit stories are amusing and not racist garbage.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Imagine if we fired the boards of sfu, ubc, uvic and put government technocrats in charge with significantly expanded budgets and a mandate to end all profit generating initiatives (like real restate development)?

Tax the gently caress out of broadband, gasoline, groceries, I don't care what.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Arivia posted:

This, but unironically. Should we have the fight about the Hip again?

Who can say which Content is really Canadian though? Kellie Leitch? If we can't define it, we shouldn't be funding what could be American or some other countries Content just created by Canadians.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

DariusLikewise posted:

Did this get posted yet? Melaine Joly is allegedly pushing for digital taxes to fund Canadian Media Content lol

http://business.financialpost.com/fp-comment/stop-the-federal-government-before-it-taxes-everything-on-the-internet

That's a really big "allegedly" for something that the writers' guilds etc. have been lobbying for for years and getting rejected by both major parties because it would be politically toxic. There's nothing in this OpenMedia op-ed or the similar Geist column this week to support the idea that it's any more likely this time than last time.

The worst that's likely to happen is some half-hearted attempt to make Netflix et. al. actually collect sales tax like their local competitors have to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
We would see a lot more innovation if tax rates hit 100% at $200K and exemptions were removed except for losses. People would suddenly up their risk exposure in lending and R&D and starting businesses if the alternative was that they just handed over all the money to CRA.

People always whine about working less but that just means now one high compensation job becomes two which is another benefit for society and inequality.

Same with corporations, if it gets too big its tax liabilities just increase so you don't form huge oligopolies through M&A greed creep.

cowofwar fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Oct 18, 2016