Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Ya 2nd Coy - your guys are already tired or exhausted, so I think it is a good idea to MOVE to your locations when going on foot. It'll take more time, but exhausted troops aren't going to be very useful for fighting, unfortunately. Hubis just went in and checked on your dudes' conditions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

2nd Company 2nd Platoon Orders

At least one BTR seems to have made the crossing. Once the rest have crossed, follow above path, noting specific speeds per stretch. The most important is to move normally through that thin stretch of woods dividing the highway from Mount Silver to avoid hilarious mishap.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

glynnenstein posted:

We are holding back to stand at good (enough (we hope!)) defensive positions. Our armor will take a look at getting a few shots in forward but we expect a fight further north. What the tanks see will help us develop our plan going forward.

Red are open areas with good lines of sight where we could interdict enemy movement.

Forums Terrorist: Right now you are in position as a reserve to respond as the situation evolves mostly because you had the bad luck of being caught in traffic. This seems boring as hell. Do you want to get stuck in somewhere? We have discussed the option of sending you over to help out with 2nd Company. I think the best game option is to keep you around where you are until we know more about where you will be useful, perhaps in the woods if the enemy presses. This game should be fun, so what would you like to do?.

At the moment I'm pretty comfortable with being a reserve; initially I'd been waiting for my platoon to regroup before moving out to 1/2's north-eastern flank as we'd initially planned. Obviously that plan's changed; the only other thing I could think of is swinging around to the west and trying to catch the possible enemy advance there but that seems like a dangerously reckless move until we know more about what's out there.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Alright cool, we wanted to make sure you were ok hanging around and that everyone is still having fun with this. Just hang out on the highway then, and be ready to move one way or the other, basically.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Do we need any mortar/artillery barrages, or are we still reserving them for fixing/assault time?

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
I think we're good for right now. We're dropping mortars on Mirage Island, I think that should be sufficient.

abelian
Jan 23, 2010
Not sure when Decoy Badger is returning. Provisional orders for his units; these can be overwritten any time he's returned.

Recon Platoon

In the following, blue = "move", yellow = "move quickly", magenta = "hunt", green = "reverse".

All vehicles: unbutton.

HQ team
Move as shown below. Please give lots of little waypoints when crossing wooded areas. In fact, it would be nice if we could just make this SOP, so that folks don't need to draw all the waypoint markings on a map.

2 squad
Infantry Acquire the two extra RPG-26s inside the BTR. Move the vehicle as shown by the thicker line. The infantry should dismount and move quickly to the forest (thin yellow line), then hunt to the edge of the trees (thin magenta line). If by some miracle they are dismounted before the minute is up, then you should be able to split them into teams. If that's the case, only send one of the teams forward and leave the other on the northern edge of the treeline, but offset a little bit, so that a single autocannon burst can't take out both teams.

3 squad
Turn around as shown and move back to where you were headed. Please, please, please give lots of little waypoints as shown. If the BTR is just not having it by at the minute break, then drive the BTR as far up the ravine as possible and have the infantry dismount and hoof it up the ravine. Same goes for if the BTR is immobilized.

abelian fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Oct 19, 2016

abelian
Jan 23, 2010
Does anyone need any replay videos or screenshots? Let me know and I'll be able to make some tomorrow after work.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

1st Coy / 2nd Platoon

All APCs MOVE to positions as indicated. Position at the edge of the tree-lines and face down the ravine in the directions specified.
All squads dismount once the APC endpoint is reached. If the APC is fairly close after minute 1, go ahead and dismount then.
1st Squad dismount, then move QUICK to first position. SPLIT squad and MOVE second team to next position. FACE as indicated.
2nd Squad dismount, then SPLIT SCOUT. Scout team MOVE to the right position as flank coverage. FACE as indicated.
3rd Squad dismount, then move QUICK to slightly inward from the first position. SPLIT squad and MOVE teams forward to the edge of the woods. FACE as indicated.
HQ remain mounted.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

professor_curly posted:

Ya 2nd Coy - your guys are already tired or exhausted, so I think it is a good idea to MOVE to your locations when going on foot. It'll take more time, but exhausted troops aren't going to be very useful for fighting, unfortunately. Hubis just went in and checked on your dudes' conditions.

Given how strung out 2nd Coy is right now, the best thing to do might be to have them MOVE to the edge of the woods to meet the APCs and then just wait to recover.

Fuligin posted:

2nd Company 2nd Platoon Orders

At least one BTR seems to have made the crossing. Once the rest have crossed, follow above path, noting specific speeds per stretch. The most important is to move normally through that thin stretch of woods dividing the highway from Mount Silver to avoid hilarious mishap.

Yes, everyone should MOVE NORMALLY when crossing the thin copse of trees. Also it looks like the trees are thinner in the middle of the ridge separating Flo-Rida pass from the Highway, so I'd go QUICK to treeline, MOVE to highway through the dead center, then FAST to wherever you want to end up.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Hey 3 coy ATGM buddies we ought to target that Abrams

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

If it reappears, we'll get it, there's four teams looking down the fields at the moment. I was thinking of restricting their firing with arcs to allow more control over targeting, but I decided that bugger it, we'll smash anything that moves and deny them the area. A loaded softskin is just as worthwhile to destroy because it restricts their ability to manoeuvre.

Do you want a weapons platoon unit in your location? got an HMG or ATGM for you.

abelian
Jan 23, 2010

Phi230 posted:

Hey 3 coy ATGM buddies we ought to target that Abrams

That Abrams has a few more smoke-on-lase get-out-of-jail-free cards. I wish these AT-14s didn't have a "hey buddy I'm trying to kill you" feature built into their design. I expect at least five or six more minutes of smoke before tank kills become likely.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

abelian posted:

That Abrams has a few more smoke-on-lase get-out-of-jail-free cards. I wish these AT-14s didn't have a "hey buddy I'm trying to kill you" feature built into their design. I expect at least five or six more minutes of smoke before tank kills become likely.

Is all smoke thermal-spoofing in CM?

Hubis
May 18, 2003

abelian posted:

We would do a much better job circumventing that if we maneuvered a little further around those woods at the top clockwise. Right now they've got that copse of trees by the road to hide behind, but if we can wheel maybe a few tanks out that way we can constrict their angles and usable cover much better...

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Phi230 posted:

Is all smoke thermal-spoofing in CM?

Having done tests during the last Black Sea game, I think the conclusion I came to is that mortar smoke is not, but vehicle based counter-measure smoke is.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Hubis posted:

We would do a much better job circumventing that if we maneuvered a little further around those woods at the top clockwise. Right now they've got that copse of trees by the road to hide behind, but if we can wheel maybe a few tanks out that way we can constrict their angles and usable cover much better...

At this time I believe maneuvering like that after we have made contact with a sizeable force yet to reveal its true nature, is unwise.

Lets wait until the enemy isn't currently in a giant deathblob on the highway.

abelian
Jan 23, 2010

Phi230 posted:

At this time I believe maneuvering like that after we have made contact with a sizeable force yet to reveal its true nature, is unwise.

Lets wait until the enemy isn't currently in a giant deathblob on the highway.

That, and our only covered approach to slice that particular pie is a muddy swamp. Also, for tanks with laser warning receivers, the tank turret controls all have overrides that swing the turret towards the laser source and deploy smoke without any human intervention. The NATO smoke dispensers are ludicrously fast (probably fast enough to obscure before a tank gets a shot off). The Russian smoke is not as fast, as we saw. But I would guess that both the Russian and NATO smoke grenades are fast enough to protect against the relatively long flight time of an ATGM.

All tank launched smoke is multispectral in this game. Additionally, all the US IFV/APC smoke is as well. Smoke from indirect fire is not. I don't know about smoke from BTRs and other lighter vehicles, but I believe it is. Each infantry squad has handheld and GP-25/M203 deployed smoke grenades. I don't know whether those block IR or not, but I would not expect them to.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I suggested that we try to send the engineers back into the swamp to get better eyes down the road. No great loss if their trucks bog and if we ever end up needing them, it wouldn't be until inside the town (lol).

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

glynnenstein posted:

I suggested that we try to send the engineers back into the swamp to get better eyes down the road. No great loss if their trucks bog and if we ever end up needing them, it wouldn't be until inside the town (lol).

We need to send a message to NATO, being "this is our swamp"

FrozenLiquidity
Jun 10, 2016
Welps, I guess #2 will be mostly sitting this one out.

I understand that he's hull down for the most part, though the turret may have some sight lines and therefore maintain some combat effectiveness, provided that he can see anything from this position. Being buttoned up on there doesn't help, so that'll need to change.

As for HQ and #1, I'm not seeing any sensible moves for them that would be worth blowing their cover, so I think they're best off staying put and making the best of their current positions.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I assume that is the name of this whole operation in Ukraine: "NATO: this is our swamp."

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

FrozenLiquidity posted:

I understand that he's hull down for the most part, though the turret may have some sight lines and therefore maintain some combat effectiveness, provided that he can see anything from this position. Being buttoned up on there doesn't help, so that'll need to change.

As for HQ and #1, I'm not seeing any sensible moves for them that would be worth blowing their cover, so I think they're best off staying put and making the best of their current positions.

Well, our new Soviet Bunkers will be sure as hell one big surprise for NATO.

We should use tank 2 as basically a fall back position, construct a defense around it if we need to fall back.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

FrozenLiquidity posted:

Equipment with better sights will actually spot better buttoned. It is counter-productive to unbutton a bunch of the recon-oriented US stuff because you lose thermal sights. I would leave T-90s buttoned most of the time, but this tank is sort of a special case.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
With our full commitment of 2nd Coy, I think the best use for those engineers is to move up and act as a tripwire at the western edge of the Highway. Set them up to guard against any attacks from the west - they still have RPG's and guns, that'll be good enough to at least slow any attackers down as they enter the field. If nothing else, they'll be on the highway if we need to bring them forward for some reason.

abelian
Jan 23, 2010

glynnenstein posted:

Equipment with better sights will actually spot better buttoned. It is counter-productive to unbutton a bunch of the recon-oriented US stuff because you lose thermal sights. I would leave T-90s buttoned most of the time, but this tank is sort of a special case.

Are you sure about this? It flies in the face of reality. I'd expect a buttoned tank to have good to excellent spotting in the direction that it was facing, but very poor situational awareness. And in the T-90A, the gunner has a thermal sight, but the commander does not.

Even in something like the SEP, the commander's independent thermal viewer is only a few inches from the top of the cupola, so the TC should be able to both use both his fancy sensors and scan the battlefield with his mark 1 eyeballs at the same time.

I'm curious enough now to try to test it out in the editor.

glynnenstein posted:

Instead of sending our engineers to get stuck in a swamp, that sounds like a good job for the mortar FO who is also in a truck, but still sitting back with the mortars.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

abelian posted:

Are you sure about this? It flies in the face of reality. I'd expect a buttoned tank to have good to excellent spotting in the direction that it was facing, but very poor situational awareness. And in the T-90A, the gunner has a thermal sight, but the commander does not.

Even in something like the SEP, the commander's independent thermal viewer is only a few inches from the top of the cupola, so the TC should be able to both use both his fancy sensors and scan the battlefield with his mark 1 eyeballs at the same time.

I'm curious enough now to try to test it out in the editor.

That's from the game forums. It's an easy call with some stuff, but maybe the T-90A is a borderline call. The game does say there's "commander's video" on the A variant so I always figure he has access to upgraded spotting buttoned. The manual just says the AM added a remote weapon to the commander, but maybe that has a better sight too. In certain situations you do want to unbutton like close woods where a long-range sight isn't useful, because you get better sound spotting, etc.

abelian posted:

Instead of sending our engineers to get stuck in a swamp, that sounds like a good job for the mortar FO who is also in a truck, but still sitting back with the mortars.

An FO would be great, I just tend to think of the engineers as not a super combat force generally, and not particularly useful outside of urban maps, so I like to use them for special missions like that.

EDIT: just an FYI while the topic is up, some of the American stuff has to be unbuttoned to use it. The TOWs, MGs, and GLs on Humvees are kinda obvious, but recon and FO Humvees have their special sights outside and need to be unbuttoned too.

glynnenstein fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Oct 19, 2016

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD

abelian posted:

I think that's the Mortar's HQ, not a forward observer, isn't it? If it's actually an FO team, I'm happy to chop it to you.

abelian
Jan 23, 2010

Davin Valkri posted:

I think that's the Mortar's HQ, not a forward observer, isn't it? If it's actually an FO team, I'm happy to chop it to you.

I think there is an HQ as well, but there is definitely a dedicated FO team sitting in a Ural. Kitted with optics and a laser designator for precision missions, and with fast call-in times. If you would rather not be responsible for it, then I can take him over. But, are you sure you want me to? You don't really have anything left to move around the map, since I don't think we'll be moving the mortars out any time soon, and other units will be calling in their fire missions.

glynnenstein posted:

That's from the game forums. It's an easy call with some stuff, but maybe the T-90A is a borderline call. The game does say there's "commander's video" on the A variant so I always figure he has access to upgraded spotting buttoned. The manual just says the AM added a remote weapon to the commander, but maybe that has a better sight too. In certain situations you do want to unbutton like close woods where a long-range sight isn't useful, because you get better sound spotting, etc.

Yeah, I hear you, what matters is the spotting model used by the game. Also I could be wrong about the T-90A, I'd need to double check the manual. My curiosity is piqued now, so I'll try testing the spotting mechanics.

quote:

An FO would be great, I just tend to think of the engineers as not a super combat force generally, and not particularly useful outside of urban maps, so I like to use them for special missions like that.

They're (ed. I mean, the engineers) still decent infantry, equipped with RPGs and the like. It's good to get as many eyes on the battlefield as possible, though... maybe I could move up my XO team to get some direct spotting?

abelian fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Oct 19, 2016

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

abelian posted:

They're still decent infantry, equipped with RPGs and the like. It's good to get as many eyes on the battlefield as possible, though... maybe I could move up my XO team to get some direct spotting?

8 AK-74Ms and 2 RPG-26 so pretty decent against vehicles, but less useful vs infantry especially at range. XOs are also a prime candidate for "random mission X" in this game, imo.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

abelian posted:

Is there any reason not to re-deploy the engineers in the village where 3rd Coy is currently sitting and move a platoon/detatchment to go exploring (along with the FO)?

abelian
Jan 23, 2010

Hubis posted:

Is there any reason not to re-deploy the engineers in the village where 3rd Coy is currently sitting and move a platoon/detatchment to go exploring (along with the FO)?

I don't think it would be completely unreasonable to do this, but...

It's a long way to go on foot, vehicles will get bogged and/or drive directly across enemy tank positions, and we already have quite a few units with decent spotting in that area.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

abelian posted:

I think there is an HQ as well, but there is definitely a dedicated FO team sitting in a Ural. Kitted with optics and a laser designator for precision missions, and with fast call-in times. If you would rather not be responsible for it, then I can take him over. But, are you sure you want me to? You don't really have anything left to move around the map, since I don't think we'll be moving the mortars out any time soon, and other units will be calling in their fire missions.

I'm the support coordinator--I signed up on the expectation of commanding mortars and AA, more or less. Once you're done you can chop it back to me.

ORDERS

FO and truck chopped to Batt CO to use as they see fit.

One 152 mm battery (3 tubes), HEAVY intensity, MEDIUM duration, AREA target, IMMEDIATE, as follows:

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Oct 19, 2016

abelian
Jan 23, 2010

Davin Valkri posted:

I'm the support coordinator--I signed up on the expectation of commanding mortars and AA, more or less. Once you're done you can chop it back to me.

ORDERS

Dismount the HQ. FO and truck is chopped to 2nd Company to use as they see fit.

The FO is already in its own truck, separate from the HQ.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

abelian posted:

The FO is already in its own truck, separate from the HQ.

Ah, whoops.

abelian
Jan 23, 2010

No problem-- no way to easily tell from the videos. Glynn just checked and you also have a separate HQ, also in a truck.

All the mortar rounds are in the mortar vehicles, not in the trucks.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Phi230 - do you have any pressing plans for your Coy heavy weapons platoon?

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

ORDERS - 1/3

Cancel prior orders. MOVE BTRs to the indicated positions. DISMOUNT infantry and MOVE to indicated dots. FACE per blue lines.

Fray fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Oct 19, 2016

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

professor_curly posted:

Phi230 - do you have any pressing plans for your Coy heavy weapons platoon?

Sit tight and weather the storm. 3 Coy main obj. should be to blunt the spear. Spear is not blunted till we incur heavier casualties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Davin Valkri posted:

ORDERS

FO and truck is chopped to 2nd Company to use as they see fit.

Thank you, but I think you'd better keep it unless you want me to call in some artillery strikes. I'm certainly not going to put a FO team on the front line.

• Locked thread