Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I still think Asylum was the best. The crash to desktop fakeout is one of my favourite gaming moments ever.

That kind of thing is one of my favorite things about the MGS series. It'd act like your video input changed at a critical moment, give you a fake game over, just little stuff to gently caress with you. I seem to remember Eternal Darkness doing it too but it's been forever since I played that game.

Edit: Now I kinda want to play Eternal Darkness again. Time to take the Gamecube out of storage... wouldn't be surprised if it's aged terribly, though.

...! fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Oct 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah the lack of that kinda stuff in Phantom Pain was very disappointing

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

Also, Asylum was the only one I cared enough about to plat. Possibly the hardest platinum trophy I've ever earned. Even Bayonetta's plat was easier.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

BoyBlunder posted:

Why do you need to preorder to do this? Just walk in there day-of and pick up the game. Do stores still sell out of video games on release day?

if you're going to walk in there on release day and buy a copy literally what is the difference

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

BoyBlunder posted:

Why do you need to preorder to do this? Just walk in there day-of and pick up the game. Do stores still sell out of video games on release day?

I preorder every game I want to buy at release now because I tried buying Bayonetta 2 on release day and couldn't so I just went home and bought a digital copy

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

BoyBlunder posted:

The huge Gamestop here in downtown San Francisco ran out of Mankind Divided on release actually

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

yeah, but what if you just DIDNT preorder and went to the store on release day. think of all of the upsides

...!
Oct 5, 2003

omg chael crash posted:

The huge Gamestop here in downtown San Francisco ran out of Mankind Divided on release actually

That's why you always buy your games at Walmart or some other huge chain. They always have enough copies on release day.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

BoyBlunder posted:

For bigger games they'll order a few copies. Small local stores aren't going to order things like Mirror's Edge, The Last Guardian, Gravity Rush, or TLOU:remastered unless you ask them to...which usually means putting a few bucks down as collateral.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

...! posted:

That's why you always buy your games at Walmart or some other huge chain. They always have enough copies on release day.

yeah i tried to buy some 3ds game on release at gamestop. they told me they only got like 2 shelf copies in and i should really preorder!

i went 2 minutes down the street and bought it at walmart.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

convince your relatives to get amazon prime and share their account password with you. preorder everything and sell it for cash when you are done and buy it again 18 months later when its 7 dollars digital like sleepy dogs is right now

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
The only reason I ever preorder anymore is being on the west coast I can play on a Monday at 9pm instead of later on Tuesday.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Feenix posted:

The only reason I ever preorder anymore is being on the west coast I can play on a Monday at 9pm instead of later on Tuesday.

Except last night which was some serious bs.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
What's the opinion on the batman arkham remasters, I recall the original reveal had a lot of people complaining that it looked worse than the originals in certain cases. Hopefully they cleaned it up.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I just saw this somewhere else but it's worth giving a heads up

Dead Star online functionality will cease November 1st

If you ever want to play it, now is the time. Only two weeks left. You probably got it through PS+. Play it now or never again.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Ineffiable posted:

lol. looks like i wasnt the only one who thought that game sucked

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Awesome! posted:

lol. looks like i wasnt the only one who thought that game sucked

The funny part is, the game actually didn't come out that long ago. April I believe.

I have never seen a game shut down multiplayer so soon.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Ineffiable posted:

If you ever want to play it, now is the time. Only two weeks left. You probably got it through PS+. Play it now or never again.
Haha the gently caress, was this even around for a year?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, if I'd paid for it, I'd be pissed. Usually they they at least wait a few years. I thought that game was multiplayer focused too. Did it have much single player content at all?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

glam rock hamhock posted:

Yeah, if I'd paid for it, I'd be pissed. Usually they they at least wait a few years. I thought that game was multiplayer focused too. Did it have much single player content at all?

From what I understand, the only trophy you can earn in the game without online.... is the tutorial.

I've never played this game, and have no personal investment in it, but I have to admit it's interesting learning the details and how useless the game is going to be.

I will laugh for real if they don't even take it off the PSN store after Nov 1st.

AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*
The only thing I'll pre-order at this point is a Zelda title... and only if there is a physical pre-order bonus.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Ineffiable posted:

The funny part is, the game actually didn't come out that long ago. April I believe.

If memory serves, APB's initial release shut down after just shy of two months, and this was a game it was possible to put $200 on at launch.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I sympathize with how expensive it must be for a small studio to keep a server up but that's also why small studios should stay the gently caress away from online focused games.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Ineffiable posted:

From what I understand, the only trophy you can earn in the game without online.... is the tutorial.
yeah you will only be able to play the tutorial lol

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

glam rock hamhock posted:

I sympathize with how expensive it must be for a small studio to keep a server up but that's also why small studios should stay the gently caress away from online focused games.

don't make a moba is good advice.

also don't make one with like 6 heroes and no support if you're dumb enough to make one in the first place.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

im going to sue sony, my extra ten dollars isnt going towards this

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

The cool thing about the indie age is that there are a lot of unique multi-player ideas coming to fruition.

The bad thing about the indie age is that everyone has a multi-player idea, so no game gets a crowd for more than a week before going back to Military shooter #17

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Ineffiable posted:

Glad I am paying for Plus to maintain my online multiplayer experience :geno:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

CrashCat posted:

Glad I am paying for Plus to maintain my online multiplayer experience :geno:

That game was cool, but they should've made the DLC content they released a week later part of the actual loving game instead of trying to rope people in to weekly expansion packs.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

what do you want sony to do? buy the unprofitable game and keep running it and losing money themselves?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Yes. Yes I do.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

univbee posted:

If memory serves, APB's initial release shut down after just shy of two months, and this was a game it was possible to put $200 on at launch.

Only on PC but I think Smash+Grab is going to be shuttered pretty soon I imagine and it was an Early Access title on Steam. :rip: United Game Front

http://www.pcgamer.com/united-front-games-reportedly-closed-smashgrab-no-longer-available/

Yoya
Nov 6, 2009

I already bought the chicken
i worked with a lot of ex-united game front guys at a job a block from their offices. they were cool guys

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Awesome! posted:

what do you want sony to do? buy the unprofitable game and keep running it and losing money themselves?

If I have learned anything from this thread, it's that anything can be blamed on Sony.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

CrashCat posted:

Yeah, I have no idea about any of GW's physical games but the gameplay I saw looks interesting and I enjoyed watching a stream of it. It looks like a good blend of strategy with some pretty graphics

I'm probably going to get reamed for this description, but:

Mordheim the table top game is basically Final Fantasy Tactics with a Phantom Brave movement style, without the stacking. Then after each battle you roll on a completely random chart, for every casualty, treasure, and level, for upgrades or injuries that might make you awesome or suck. None of that will matter because everything seems to need a 5 or 6 to hit on a D6, and you will never roll that, so most games are just a bunch of models near the center of a table having dice thrown around them while the air is filled with curses. You will end up with two random characters that are literal gods because they can hit and wound on a 4+, who will at some point be killed, permanently, by a pebble from the weakest minion or a random event meteor.

And it's fun as poo poo. With the right people.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ineffiable posted:

The sequel to Nexon's FPG game Sudden Attack, the creatively named Sudden Attack 2, lasted 2 months from July 6th to August 29th.

The closing announcement was on July 29th, meaning the game was technically cancelled within a month of its release.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

itt people get really upset about strangers preordering video games

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yeah the lack of that kinda stuff in Phantom Pain was very disappointing

If you think about it another way (Massive phantom pain spoiler everyone knows by now)

The entire game was one big messing with the player moment. Plus stuff like Paz getting up and talking to you and being a hallucination calls into question a lot of the other stuff that happened throughout.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I would have liked a Codec call from Kaz griping about the PS4s atrocious wifi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

irlZaphod posted:

itt people get really upset about strangers preordering video games
because it encourages lovely behavior on the part of the people who make and sell them, duh

• Locked thread